• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

deciding on new avatars is always hard

TglTZhD.png

maneil99

how long is New Order supposed to be? I played for almost 2 hours (steam said 103minutes or something) and didnt even get to
the resistance base
which I thought was the begining of the game from all the trailers and videos o_O

10-15 hours on Uber

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'd say about 12-15 hours.

You don't get to the
resistance base
until chapter 5.

good lord, I thought it was a normal 5-6 hours shooter. I mean that in a good way of course

DukeBobby

good lord, I thought it was a normal 5-6 hours shooter. I mean that in a good way of course

You could probably get through it in 8-10 hours if you rush and don't bother looking for collectibles, but yeah, it's much longer than your average modern military shooter.

Hugstable

Banned
Alright everyone, being Modbot's birthday and all, and me finally having enough to get myself some Witcher 3 love (Thanks again DunderHassan!), it's time to share the love with someone else as well! Probably one of my favorite RPG series on PC

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Hugstable, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt -- MB-6CD4AF62ACE28E9F - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk

zFSTnQu.png

t1404702235z1.png

It will be casual, but I think Phoenix wanted to keep it to 5v5.

It's the limitation of the party system in CS:GO since we're using public servers to do this.

Alright everyone, being Modbot's birthday and all, and me finally having enough to get myself some Witcher 3 love (Thanks again DunderHassan!), it's time to share the love with someone else as well! Probably one of my favorite RPG series on PC

Nice giveaway Hugs.

wilflare

nice one
hmm is that a new picture for W3 lol

I won Abyss Odyssey that wilflare very kindly gave away earlier. Figured it was only fair to pay it forward.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (spindoctor, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
Abyss Odyssey -- MB-46BB5B0CBDB7F4A3 - Taken by Tektonic. 96 entrants total.

t1404702414z1.png

I also registered a bundle key earlier that I forgot to give away, so posting that here too.

Revenge of the Titans -- MB-FAFED72E6DEE1020

Awesome, thanks for the chance at this!

I won Abyss Odyssey that wilflare very kindly gave away earlier. Figured it was only fair to pay it forward.

You too! The hype is very enticing on this one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You could probably get through it in 8-10 hours if you rush and don't bother looking for collectibles, but yeah, it's much longer than your average modern military shooter.

rushing isnt really my style, hell in the first level when you
had to / could blow the door I kept running around investigating and ended up throwing a grenade in the missile room that was earlier in the level and going down that hole... and then my OCD kicked in and I kept thinking what was behind the door I didnt go through :(

It's the limitation of the party system in CS:GO since we're using public servers to do this.

Nice giveaway Hugs.

I'd gladly *attempt* to host a 15-20 player private server on stock settings for the night, but I'm not sure my consumer Comcast line could do so.

Any Mac users here? My Mac friend has a modern iMac and only has 8 games attached to his Steam account. It's a real shame, he has a 9 years of service badge. What games can I recommend him that he won't shoot down as a "glorified flash game"..?

Caerith

So I finished my playthrough of New Vegas + DLC last night. As I'm sitting here now, thinking about the ending slides, I feel like the game confirms an idea that's been rattling around in my head for awhile now, something I've tried to express before with varying degrees of success.

To put it as succinctly as I can, I feel what constitutes a good story for a game is very different than a good story in other (non-interactive) media. Stories that end in the death of the protagonist, ones where he/she struggles valiantly but ultimately fails, where well-intended actions have terrible unforeseen consequences (that become apparent at the end of the story, giving the protagonist no chance to make them right)... all of these work in literature. They work because we're passive observers.

In the context of a game, where we're challenged to achieve our goals with the tools we've been given, these are fail states.

A narrative where everything eventually goes the hero's way as long as he puts in enough effort to succeed is often dismissed as "bad writing" in games. It's "lazy". Yet as a player, rather than a passive observer, that "rote" narrative is satisfying. I don't need a game to teach me that things don't always go the way I want them to, or that there are things that are outside of my control - these are lessons that life has a way of teaching us all in time. That's not the reason I'm playing.

(And for those wondering, what got me thinking about this again was the fact that none of the "main" endings in New Vegas was 100% satisfying, IMO. Not going to spoil it for those who haven't played, but every faction's victory has a downside, though admittedly some are worse than others. Some people cite this as a net positive, something that puts the game's story above Fallout 3's. If these were books, I might agree. But for a game, I feel it's more satisfying if there's at least the possibility of that perfect ending if you're smart/determined/skilled enough to pull it off. It may not be even remotely realistic, it might be a trite outcome for a movie or a novel, but the goalposts for games are in a different place, IMO.)
Well put. I agree with you as well-- there are certain choices I wish I could have made, certain things I feel my character would have done after the battle-- but overall I'm satisfied with the way things turned out.

Turfster

I'd gladly *attempt* to host a 15-20 player private server on stock settings for the night, but I'm not sure my consumer Comcast line could do so.

Any Mac users here? My Mac friend has a modern iMac and only has 8 games attached to his Steam account. It's a real shame, he has a 9 years of service badge. What games can I recommend him that he won't shoot down as a "glorified flash game"..?

Pretty much everything with Steamplay, which is quite a lot of the big games from the last couple of years.

I looked through the first page, but did not notice an entry for it:

Would any recommend a particular site that randomly chooses a game under a particular category on steam? Or is that not possible?

tylerf

Does he consider all indies to be glorified flash games? When I'm away from home with my Macbook Air I usually either play stuff from Humble Bundles or strategy games like Paradox stuff or Civ.

Jawmuncher

Started some 100% orange juice to figure out how to play it. So that way I was prepared for the inevitable GAF game of that. It looked confusing on the surface but it's actually pretty simple. Definitely a case where jumping in and just trying it out is going to make more sense than reading the manual first.

maneil99

Call of Duty games have seperate MAC versions

People only took half of the junk I posted the other day, if anyone else is interested:

Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-A802020561DC4ECD
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising (Origin) -- MB-CEE56A879A8A89E6
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-68C144C288E0F70

iosefe

Started some 100% orange juice to figure out how to play it. So that way I was prepared for the inevitable GAF game of that. It looked confusing on the surface but it's actually pretty simple. Definitely a case where jumping in and just trying it out is going to make more sense than reading the manual first.

so much RNG

Hugstable

Banned

Yeah I didn't read any instructions about the board game before I played it, but it only took about 5-10 minutes to understand the mechanics and the goal of the game. It was actually pretty fun, I'm trying to set up a group sometime tomorrow.

pKSlqny.png

When we are playing: Now

What we are playing:
We are playing public matches through the casual matchmaking system. Everyone from all skill levels is welcome to join!

How to join us:
PM me on Steam

In the future:
If we have enough consistent players, we may consider setting up or renting a server for drop in drop out gaf matches.

Come join us and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom