• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

This would have been real helpful for me in the past.

And then would have been tagless. Snipping Tool is pretty much the same dealio and to be fair if you're really lazy Print Screen and Paint is a combo that's easy peazy, been around since Windows 3 and works just as well. Though can cause headaches if you use multiple monitors.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
spare

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rush For Glory -- MB-7FBD8AC52505AB9E - Taken by bobnowhere. 7 entrants total.

t1404719883z1.png

also, keys for Asteria are now on the dev's website after you make an account and register the code you got from Groupees The Indie Bundle. Game looks cool too, and has cards

and Rush for Glory key added to Indiegala Greenlight Bundle 1 (where this key came from in fact)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The bundle running for just three days caught me off-guard and I missed it. :(

did you also miss Groupees Build a Greenlight 5? because thats where the one I own came from

Rhaknar

Oh, that I have... and apparently I've already used the key, haha. I did miss BAGB4, though.

so you have RFG then...stop tricking me with your outback voodoo

also The Howler key added to Indieroyale Debut 13, but not to Groupees Build a Greenlight 3 (yet)

So I've redone this battle in Grofheim in Banner Saga about 3 times, trying to keep this one guy alive that dies in the dialog afterwards. I google it and he's supposed to die there. (proven by him living through this latest time yet dying post-battle anyway)

With that out of the way.... onwards I go.

Yakkue

I enjoyed the third-person action-adventure component but couldn't stand the strategy mini-game. I loathed it so much that I just handballed the controller to my mate whenever one popped up.

I played it on PS3 back in the days, and I actually really liked its hack'n'slash half, and really disliked its RTS half.

Too bad the last part of the game - and the final showdown - are basically only RTS with a difficulty curve way steeper than any other previous battle. It fucked me so hard I lost any will to play the game for months (then I wanted to watch the ending, so I got a guide and completed the last battle, but still).

If you're even slightly a metal fan, you should play it nonetheless, because the art, the story and every tiny detail is a declaration of true love and passion for metal.
(I'm not really into metal, but shit when I saw Ozzy and Lemmy I was all screaming like there was a One Direction show.)

Also beware of playing with headphones on because there is at least one confirmed case of tinnitus from this game.

It's okay as long as you know it's part rts going into the game. I remember thinking that I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it were just an action adventure game without the rts parts. The references/easter eggs were cool and the music was pretty good though.

It is a 7-8 out of 10 game for me. It is enjoyable experiment/blend of genres, has great sense of humor (and terrific voice acting), you will definitely have a fun time with it. By the time you reach the RTS sections you'll scratch you head a little bit: They're not bad, it's just that they feel out of context.

I give kudos to Schafer and Double Fine for being courageous and experiment with 2 opposite genres; those are some big balls for a non-indie studio.

Thanks for all the impressions! Seems like no one really enjoyed the RTS part of the game, I hope going into it with that knowledge beforehand will make it a bit less jarring :)
Also thanks for the headphones warning, I will keep that in mind.

Shengar

What's even worse is that I'm incapable of picking what I want to play at this point and end up watching tv series, since I can't figure out what I'd actually like to play. Sometimes I think I like the idea of playing videogames more than actually playing them at this point.

I have this problem too, though now I can decide what I'm going to play just fine. The problem is, Gaf always detract my attention from the games.

So I've redone this battle in Grofheim in Banner Saga about 3 times, trying to keep this one guy alive that dies in the dialog afterwards. I google it and he's supposed to die there. (proven by him living through this latest time yet dying post-battle anyway)

With that out of the way.... onwards I go.

Heh that sucks. I reloaded to try to change some stuff too... Always fun haha. Gotta keep that caravan going!

Shadownet

Banned
Why do I feel like every choices I make in the Wolf Among Us might be the wrong one. My god this game is amazing. Keep me on my toes.

Copons

Happy Bday Copons. Hoping I wont spoil anything this time ;)

Btw. I am selling all my cards now just to buy some waifu Agarest Zero cards and to get some waifu background.

Happy 30th Birthday Copons! I hope you will have a kick-ass week! :D

Congrats on 30, man! Have anything special planned for the occasion?

Happy Birthday, hopefully you're having a good one!

Happy birthday Copons.

Happy b'day dude! Don't worry it's all up hill from here. We'll unless you realise that you're expected to have greater responsibility now and house work, mortgage repayments and bills become a priority over dicking around, partying and boozing it up. All I say is thank fuck I don't have a joint bank account or there would be tears before bedtime.

Happy birthday :p

You can feel that way all you want, friend-o.
But I can tell you from experience that it's nothing more than the odometer turning over in a different slot. Otherwise, everyone would already "be like yes Frost is totally right because is now a wise and respectable man, he should just need to finally drop the beard and wear a tie, but respectable nonetheless."

Yo thanks guys! Love y'all!
You're almost better than my grandma calling at 7.30 AM for the first cheer of the morning.
yawn

sorry for the late answer, but I didn't want to go too off topic and all that, but then I said fuck it, I won't be 30 ever again :p

AND, a separate thanks to Shadownet and Yakkue, for good
but undisclosed
reasons. :)

Dr Dogg

Thanks for all the impressions! Seems like no one really enjoyed the RTS part of the game, I hope going into it with that knowledge beforehand will make it a bit less jarring :)
Also thanks for the headphones warning, I will keep that in mind.

I enjoyed the RTS parts :(

Well that and I really dug the multiplayer. In fairness it's not really an RTS but more closer to something like Pikimin mixed in with Overlord style minions. You do get special class units that fulfil certain roles like buffing and healing as well as the usual rock, paper, scissors type of units. Instead of having a cursor and complex nested menus to navigate to command the battle you are an active part of it, as in you can be on the ground in a third person hack and slash kind of way or fly up high to move around freely and get an overview of the field.

I think it was that it came out of nowhere for most people that they don't like that aspect of the game. It starts off like a third person action romp, then suddenly turns into a semi open world adventure before getting the rug pulled from under your feet and becoming an action-strategy game.

For me it gets more stick than it deserves but I can understand it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Shadownet

Banned
Well, that's why you do another playthrough!

Is that what you're supposed to do? I keep restarting cause I'd be like "oh my god shat have I done." *click* restart! Lol

sorry for the late answer, but I didn't want to go too off topic and all that, but then I said fuck it, I won't be 30 ever again :p

Its never off topic to talk about a fellow gafer's birthday :)

You never have to apologize for that.

Rhaknar

oh its your bday mr cat? happy birthday

all downhill from here, trust me

Is that what you're supposed to do? I keep restarting cause I'd be like "oh my god shat have I done." *click* restart! Lol
Well, I haven't played TWAU or TWDS2, but I'd assume that they're pretty much the same as season one of The Walking Dead that way. I did like 3 playthroughs of that, partly to see what changed (not a ton), and partly because it ate my saves one day. :/

Being Asshole Lee was fun though.

Copons

I enjoyed the RTS part:( Well that and I really dug the multiplayer. In fairness it's not really an RTS but more closers to something like Pikimin mixed in with Overlord style minions. You do get special class units that fulfil certain roles like buffing and healing. Instead of having a cursor and menus to navigate to command the battle you are an active part of it, as in you can be on the ground in a third person hack and slash kind of way or fly up high to move around freely and get an overview of the field.

I think it was that it came out of nowhere for most people that they don't like that aspect of the game. It starts of like a third person action romp, then suddenly turns into a semi open world adventure before getting the rug pulled from under your feet and becoming a action-strategy game.

For me it gets more stick than it deserves but I can understand it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Nuh-uh.
I mean, I knew it was half RTS, my problem with it is that is a sub-par RTS!

On paper it should be great. You order troops around and then descend on the field kicking asses firsthand. Amazing indeed. And the troops are so cool, fucking roadies with their amplifiers, they're too good to be true.

But then the execution felt super sloppy to me. :(
Ordering troops is not even close to how satisfying is Pikmin (to link to your example) and the fact that during battles switching between hacknslash and RTS isn't instant (you need to start flying, find a good spot to have a full view of what's going on, and then run to where you're needed, etc.), which should be a cool and "realistic" thing, in fact slows down the battles a lot, to the point that I usually tried to just fly above the battle and never going down to avoid that.

oh its your bday mr cat? happy birthday

all downhill from here, trust me

As in a boulder rolling down to hell, gaining momentum minute after minute? Yeah I guess so! :D

oh look at me, using words learned from Portal that I don't even know what they mean

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If I were a programmer at DF I would have included an option in the PC port to skip the strategy sections.

Caerith

Why do I feel like every choices I make in the Wolf Among Us might be the wrong one. My god this game is amazing. Keep me on my toes.

Because...

DHLlcYI.jpg

You're almost better than my grandma calling at 7.30 AM for the first cheer of the morning.
yawn

AND, a separate thanks to Shadownet and Yakkue, for good
but undisclosed
reasons. :)
Happy 30th! Now try to stop aging, it's a bad habit.

Yakkue

I enjoyed the RTS parts :(
I was just referring to the people I quoted :)
Well that and I really dug the multiplayer. In fairness it's not really an RTS but more closer to something like Pikimin mixed in with Overlord style minions. You do get special class units that fulfil certain roles like buffing and healing as well as the usual rock, paper, scissors type of units. Instead of having a cursor and complex nested menus to navigate to command the battle you are an active part of it, as in you can be on the ground in a third person hack and slash kind of way or fly up high to move around freely and get an overview of the field.

I think it was that it came out of nowhere for most people that they don't like that aspect of the game. It starts off like a third person action romp, then suddenly turns into a semi open world adventure before getting the rug pulled from under your feet and becoming an action-strategy game.

I guess I'll have to play it myself to see if I'm going to like it or not. Thanks for your impressions as well!

Wok

And then would have been tagless. Snipping Tool is pretty much the same dealio and to be fair if you're really lazy Print Screen and Paint is a combo that's easy peazy, been around since Windows 3 and works just as well. Though can cause headaches if you use multiple monitors.

No, no, no. ShareX uses one hotkey (Ctrl+Printscreen) and a mouse selection (rectangular for instance), and what you get is the image (so same as Snipping Tool, or PrintScreen and then paste in Paint) but more importantly a link! The upload to imgur is made seamlessly (this can be toggle off of couse). If you have to do several screen captures, or if you want to to save time, the number of keys pressed, the number of windows to manage, etc., this is the tool to go with, not Snipping Tool, etc.

If you want to upload several screen captures, you will be far more efficient with ShareX. If you want a specific workflow, adding a watermark, whatever, shareX does it. Uploading images on NeoGAF is less of a pain.

Shadownet

Banned
Well, I haven't played TWAU or TWDS2, but I'd assume that they're pretty much the same as season one of The Walking Dead that way. I did like 3 playthroughs of that, partly to see what changed (not a ton), and partly because it ate my saves one day. :/

Being Asshole Lee was fun though.

I'm being nice Wolf right now but then again in this kind of game. When you think you're being nice, it can still turn out bad. TellTale really crafted a great genre for themselves.

I'm going to try asshole Wolf after this :D

Myshkin

I've never been very into trading cards, but I decided to play around with them a bit today...

- Started with ~$10 in my wallet
- Bought cards to fill out 10 badges
- Bought 5 games using coupons that came with the badges
- Ended with $0 in my wallet

The games I bought were:
- Secret of the Magic Crystals ($4.99 regular, $3.34 with coupon)
- LYNE ($2.99 regular, $0.75 with coupon)
- RIP - Trilogy ($4.99 regular, $0.50 with coupon)
- Chicken Shoot Gold ($6.99 regular, $0.70 with coupon)
- 140 ($4.99 regular, $2.49 with coupon)

So my $10 got me $22.45 of games and 10 badges, which seems like a pretty good deal. However, the two major caveats are (a) these are probably not games I would have bought otherwise and (b) I would imagine these games have been frequently on sale for significantly less than their regular prices.

You are using trading cards exactly as Valve intends.
Obedience +1

Dr Dogg

Nuh-uh.
I mean, I knew it was half RTS, my problem with it is that is a sub-par RTS!

On paper it should be great. You order troops around and then descend on the field kicking asses firsthand. Amazing indeed. And the troops are so cool, fucking roadies with their amplifiers, they're too good to be true.

But then the execution felt super sloppy to me. :(
Ordering troops is not even close to how satisfying is Pikmin (to link to your example) and the fact that during battles switching between hacknslash and RTS isn't instant (you need to start flying, find a good spot to have a full view of what's going on, and then run to where you're needed, etc.), which should be a cool and "realistic" thing, in fact slows down the battles a lot, to the point that I usually tried to just fly above the battle and never going down to avoid that.

Oh don't get me wrong it doesn't hold a candle to something which is a proper fully fledged RTS like a Warcraft, Startcraft, Company of Heroes etc. and certainly doesn't offer any tactical flexibility other than rushing certain units first to cripple your opponents resources and win by default. The SP segments are pretty poor compared to the fun you could have in MP but even then it's not up to par with more focused strategy games. That and the micro and macro management of units doesn't register and your left with your guys scratching their arse when they should be getting stuck in. For me though when it works it's was a different change of pace and events to what I would consider a strategy game.

Though you will see some people enjoy all parts of the game bar the strategy segment. For me the massive open world was really under used and despite my love of collectables it felt tedious to go round collecting them, even with a suped up vehicle in the end. Still at least visiting Ozzie for upgrades always brought a chuckle.

Shadownet

Banned
My god! The hell is it with Snow?

Spoiler for those who haven't play yet. I'm up to episode 3 I think.

just confronted Crane at the strip bar. I said one little thing and Snow goes off on me about how I have to control my temper and that it can't be like what happened at Greenleaf again, that I need to respect the Office and her as the leader. YET she was the one who wanted to burn down the tree at Greenleaf and I was the one stopping it. Damn chick is cray cray. Either that or this story got some inconsistency.

Rant over.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
When does the last episode of Wolf come out?

tomorrow

just confronted Crane at the strip bar. I said one little thing and Snow goes off on me about how I have to control my temper and that it can't be like what happened at Greenleaf again, that I need to respect the Office and her as the leader. YET she was the one who wanted to burn down the tree at Greenleaf and I was the one stopping it. Damn chick is cray cray. Either that or this story got some inconsistency.

Rant over.

I really grew to dislike her character after episode 2. Don't know if she's like that in the comics too

Jadax

Has anyone played Space Engineers? Is it something worth getting? Last time I checked it was still a very very early access game that didn't have a whole lot for you to do in it.

I won Wolf Among Us during some 100 game giveaway on facebook 1 year ago with the help of GAF.
Every day they gave away 100 copies or sth. like that. And every day they were gone after about 1 second.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Has anyone played Space Engineers? Is it something worth getting? Last time I checked it was still a very very early access game that didn't have a whole lot for you to do in it.

well - it's pretty much Minecraft in space ;) I personally like it MUCH more than Minecraft - there already is a lot of cool stuff in there and they literally update it every week adding really substantial things each time

Tizoc

Rant over.

Having just finished ep. 3 last night, the thing I'm not liking about it
is that there is not many dialog options when confronting Crane that makes him appear as a suspect or someone who knows what's going on, and that Bibsy can mainly refer to him as the murderer. Since ep. 1 I've not suspected neither the Tweedles or Woodsman as being the murderers, but rather they know something that can help us find the truth.

I don't like Telltale's 'choice' concept since it doesn't seem to change shit in the story's progression.

They're fun to experience still though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom