• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
I have a Korean Bakery near where I live. Its heaven. But then again. I'm near pretty much everything. Like three 7-11 within walking distance.

only thing i dont like about korean and chinese bakeries is that a lot tend to use animal shortening in everything..which doesnt work for me being a vegetarian.

Thats in the states though..i dont know about outside the country

Salsa

Yeah, I'd do the same if it were possible to reset playtime stats, but as it is I'd rather not inflate my stats more than necessary.

im sure that'll come eventually

it's kind of a bummer until you realize no one looks at other people's gameplay hours and even looking through mine it's still fairly easy to figure out which games I actually did play, and the ones I did the most are still at the top way above the idled ones

I mean, Steam already deleted so many hours of games I actually did play that im not gonna be all touchy about the thing anymore. It's borked

Yeah, I'd do the same if it were possible to reset playtime stats, but as it is I'd rather not inflate my stats more than necessary.

It was really aggravating to me at first, but the desire to idle for cards has far outweighed my OCD about incorrect stats.

I have played nowhere NEAR the amount of Rogue Legacy that Steam claims. I merely let it idle over the course of a weekend as I forgot about it once my girlfriend showed up. :3

Garcia

God damn Rogue Legacy is extremely good. I'm getting addicted to it already.

I don't even know what to play anymore... Between Ikaruga, Risk of Rain, One Finger Death Punch, Rogue Legacy, Rise of Nations, etc. . . Such a beautiful backlog!

only thing i dont like about korean and chinese bakeries is that a lot tend to use animal shortening in everything..which doesnt work for me being a vegetarian.

Thats in the states though..i dont know about outside the country

Arent chinese, japanese and korean bakeries almost in general like european bakeries? When I see those to me it just seems like most of the bread we have here in germany, but tasting worse and kinda cheap compared to bakeries I tried in europe.

Tellaerin

So, I've been 30 for nine hours and I already feel that now I'm entitled to whatever shit comes up in my mind and everybody will be like yes Copons is totally right because is now a wise and respectable man, he should just need to finally drop the beard and wear a tie, but respectable nonetheless.

Congrats on 30, man! Have anything special planned for the occasion?

Oublieux

God damn Rogue Legacy is extremely good. I'm getting addicted to it already.

I don't even know what to play anymore... Between Ikaruga, Risk of Rain, One Finger Death Punch, Rogue Legacy, Rise of Nations, etc. . . Such a beautiful backlog!

I pre-ordered Rogue Legacy so fast after playing the demo. It did not disappoint. Rogue Legacy immersed me for at least a good month non-stop.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So that is the preferred way of doing things or? (New to this whole card thing)

Ehh, my preferred way of doing things is judging whether or not I want any of the badges, or if the drops are worth it. I wouldn't really go for the rare drops unless those drops were for a badge I really want.

There are only two absolutes when it comes to cards for me: always sell anime waifu cards and always unpack booster packs to live life on the edge™. Actually there's a third, always sell foil cards.

I must be one of the only people that doesn't like Rogue Legacy, I found it didn't control well and just not very fun. Same with Spelunky, didn't like that much either.

Happy Bday Copons. Hoping I wont spoil anything this time ;)

Btw. I am selling all my cards now just to buy some waifu Agarest Zero cards and to get some waifu background.

Oublieux

Arent chinese, japanese and korean bakeries almost in general like european bakeries? When I see those to me it just seems like most of the bread we have here in germany, but tasting worse and kinda cheap compared to bakeries I tried in europe.

I live in Korea and do not like the bakeries here... in general, Korean takes of Western foods tend to be sweet or extremely buttery, bread included. I want my baguettes to be free of sugar, please.

Luckily, those are mostly the mainstream Korean bakeries. There's enough of an interest in good breads that you can find some tasty shops who are genuinely good at making baked goods.

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member

I can only go by my own experience in Italy, Japan and LA. In LA the Chinese and Korean bakeries ive been to have loads of cakes and pastries but they tend to use lots of butters and fats. In Italy of course the bakeries are mindblowing and its the best food you will ever get anywhere in the world. Japan bakeries make the food very classy, even in the smallest bakery in a subway outlet, they aim for a euro bakery style but infuse lots of other japanese flavors into them...like corn mayo buns and an pan...also they are mindblowingly good.

I'm pretty sure the actual korean bakeries in korea are prob really good.

Garcia

I pre-ordered Rogue Legacy so fast after playing the demo. It did not disappoint. Rogue Legacy immersed me for at least a good month non-stop.

Those are some long legs! 1 month is a very healthy life span.

I'm pretty sure there are people out there still on the fence about it. To all of those wondering if they should get it or not: YES, get it ASAP. It is one of the best rogues you'll find out there (alongside Risk of Rain, which is fucking awesome as well, mind you).

Wok

how do you guys take such quick screencaps?

Try ShareX.

19cJCR5.png

Ctrl + PrintScreen: you select a rectangle to print, and this is it, the image is uploaded and the imgur link is saved to the clipboard.

schwupp

why is the tf2 key price on the market higher than its actual price ingame?
doesnt make sense to me why people would pay more :-/

Come and join me in the club man. I didn't like both of those games either. We're weird..

I liked rogue legacy a lot (never did beat that last boss though)... Spelunky was just OK at best. I didn't really enjoy playing Spelunky and it was very frustrating. I managed to beat the boss but that's it (just the regular one, not any secret bosses or anything)

Oublieux

Come and join me in the club man. I didn't like both of those games either. We're weird..

Not weird, everybody has different tastes in games. I'm a huge fan of both Rogue Legacy and Spelunky because it's similar to rogue-likes (permanent deaths, restarting from scratch). One of my favorite rogue-likes is Nethack. God, that game was all sorts of old school but ridiculously fun.

I live in Korea and do not like the bakeries here... in general, Korean takes of Western foods tend to be sweet or extremely buttery, bread included. I want my baguettes to be free of sugar, please.

Luckily, those are mostly the mainstream Korean bakeries. There's enough of an interest in good breads that you can find some tasty shops who are genuinely good and making baked goods.

I live here in China and the bakeries here tend to imitate the western ones like german, italian, french, but somehow still taste bland.
The good ones are really often the ones opened by a foreigner.

And omg. The cakes most of the time in japanese and chinese bakeries I had before are vomit-inducing. Its not that they are bad, but its like 90% of it are chemicals mixed with food color and a disgusting taste...

wilflare

im sure that'll come eventually

it's kind of a bummer until you realize no one looks at other people's gameplay hours and even looking through mine it's still fairly easy to figure out which games I actually did play, and the ones I did the most are still at the top way above the idled ones

I mean, Steam already deleted so many hours of games I actually did play that im not gonna be all touchy about the thing anymore. It's borked

that's alot that Valve should be doing to make Steam the client that it deserves to be... but they spend more time devising meta games and races.

BadRamen

when I wanna idle I just go to bed with all games I want on SAM and when I wake up I almost always get all the cards

the problem is my gameplay tracking is all fucked and now people can look at my profile and go "wtf this guy played 50 hours of Rush Bros?"

Bed or go to work for me, which I should be doing neither as according to the last two weeks, I have played 154 hours of Steam games. Heh

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
that's alot that Valve should be doing to make Steam the client that it deserves to be... but they spend more time devising meta games and races.

I still think there'll be another overhaul circa SteamOS moving out of beta/the release of the first Steam Machines. It's been more than four years since the last one.

Yakkue

I live here in China and the bakeries here tend to imitate the western ones like german, italian, french, but somehow still taste bland.
The good ones are really often the ones opened by a foreigner.

And omg. The cakes most of the time in japanese and chinese bakeries I had before are vomit-inducing. Its not that they are bad, but its like 90% of it are chemicals mixed with food color and a disgusting taste...

If you're in Japan again, you could try the 70-minutes all you can eat cake-buffet from sweets paradise, those cakes were delicious! Some of them are how you described it, but most taste wonderful and you can try whatever takes your fancy.
I didn't like the bread I ate in Japan at all, though. Was very different from what I was used to from germany.

Whats Steamgafs take on Brütal Legend? I've read very mixed reviews.

Oublieux

Googling it right now.

Because a lot of rogue-likes are old-school (Nethack included) they used text-based "graphics." This is easily resolvable with tilesets, so don't let that scare you off. It's learning the gameplay that might take a bit of determination, but it really is a lot of fun.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I enjoyed the third-person action-adventure component but couldn't stand the strategy mini-game. I loathed it so much that I just handballed the controller to my mate whenever one popped up.

when I wanna idle I just go to bed with all games I want on SAM and when I wake up I almost always get all the cards

the problem is my gameplay tracking is all fucked and now people can look at my profile and go "wtf this guy played 50 hours of Rush Bros?"

You mean we can get card drop of multiple games simultaneously by using SAM?
I thought its possible with one game at a time.

Copons

I played it on PS3 back in the days, and I actually really liked its hack'n'slash half, and really disliked its RTS half.

Too bad the last part of the game - and the final showdown - are basically only RTS with a difficulty curve way steeper than any other previous battle. It fucked me so hard I lost any will to play the game for months (then I wanted to watch the ending, so I got a guide and completed the last battle, but still).

If you're even slightly a metal fan, you should play it nonetheless, because the art, the story and every tiny detail is a declaration of true love and passion for metal.
(I'm not really into metal, but shit when I saw Ozzy and Lemmy I was all screaming like there was a One Direction show.)

Also beware of playing with headphones on because there is at least one confirmed case of tinnitus from this game.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

It's okay as long as you know it's part rts going into the game. I remember thinking that I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it were just an action adventure game without the rts parts. The references/easter eggs were cool and the music was pretty good though.

Garcia

Because a lot of rogue-likes are old-school (Nethack included) they used text-based "graphics." This is easily resolvable with tilesets, so don't let that scare you off. It's learning the gameplay that might take a bit of determination, but it really is a lot of fun.

Not to worry about the old-school thing; I enjoy oldies quite a lot. I downloaded the game and I'm reading about the basics. Thank you for mentioning it. =)

Yakkue said:

It is a 7-8 out of 10 game for me. It is enjoyable experiment/blend of genres, has great sense of humor (and terrific voice acting), you will definitely have a fun time with it. By the time you reach the RTS sections you'll scratch you head a little bit: They're not bad, it's just that they feel out of context.

I give kudos to Schafer and Double Fine for being courageous and experiment with 2 opposite genres; those are some big balls for a non-indie studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom