• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I was just referring to the people I quoted :)

I guess I'll have to play it myself to see if I'm going to like it or not. Thanks for your impressions as well!

Hahaha well acquired taste is putting it likely. I think Brutal Legend is really a Marmite game, you'll either love it or you'll hate it. Well sections of at least!

No, no, no. ShareX uses one hotkey (Ctrl+Printscreen) and a mouse selection (rectangular for instance), and what you get is the image (so same as Snipping Tool, or PrintScreen and then paste in Paint) but more importantly a link! The upload to imgur is made seamlessly (this can be toggle off of couse). If you have to do several screen captures, or if you want to to save time, the number of keys pressed, the number of windows to manage, etc., this is the tool to go with, not Snipping Tool, etc.

If you want to upload several screen captures, you will be far more efficient with ShareX. If you want a specific workflow, adding a watermark, whatever, shareX does it. Uploading images on NeoGAF is less of a pain.

Ah yeah I see. I've usually got my imgr account logged in and just save what I want to the desktop and drop it in and upload easy peazy. Does ShareX allow you to do any more editing of an image other than cropping it? That where even a basic work flow of Paint offers a bit of flexibility for me. So say you wanted to crop an image but it contained credentials or info you didn't want to show but can't crop out like a cd key or something, could you alter that in ShareX? Like just scribble over the bits you didn't want to show?

I suppose I can forgive you.
Yeah, yeah.

If I'd thought the sale would start when it did, I probably would have budgeted some money in for it. As it was, all signs seemed to be pointing towards it being this month when I was doing that planning. I won't make that mistake twice.

Oublieux

Yeah she was cute at first but.. Damn she got worst.

But you know who's still gorgeous?

Nerissa<3 man, hot damn.

How good is The Wolf Among Us? I have no familiarity with the comics the game is based on... I liked the first season of The Walking Dead, but I did feel it got a bit repetitive in terms of mechanics near the end. How does this one compare?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, yeah.

If I'd thought the sale would start when it did, I probably would have budgeted some money in for it. As it was, all signs seemed to be pointing towards it being this month when I was doing that planning. I won't make that mistake twice.

You do realize that your planning to take this year's sale into account means that the sale will come in July of next year, right? :p

You do realize that your planning to take this year's sale into account means that the sale will come in July of next year, right? :p
Well damn... But really, I saw that post about the dates of the past summer sales and thought I had some time, made a student loan payment, and then not 2 days later the June 19th date leaked....

That just means that the funds-formerly-known-as-sale-money will get rolled over into a new monitor purchase or socked away for the winter sale.

Shadownet

Banned
My brutha *bro fist*

I know right? *bro fist* though
Faith
is also pretty hot. She still reminds me a lot of Elizabeth from BioShock Infinite.

But my god, Nerissa. Seeing her in that low cut cleavage dress was too much for me.

I'm sorry GAF, I'm at the phase where I'm missing my ex too much.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well damn... But really, I saw that post about the dates of the past summer sales and thought I had some time, made a student loan payment, and then not 2 days later the June 19th date leaked....

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the Summer Sale to start until ~mid'ish July; it being moved back to June significantly impacted my purchasing plans. As long as something I don't already own isn't pulled between now and the end of the year I suppose it doesn't really matter, though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How good is The Wolf Among Us? I have no familiarity with the comics the game is based on... I liked the first season of The Walking Dead, but I did feel it got a bit repetitive in terms of mechanics near the end. How does this one compare?

mechanically its the same with even less puzzles (if thats possible). I only played the first ep tho

Shadownet

Banned

Honestly having played both Walking Dead Season 1 and now playing through this. I think I like this a lot more. The characters are much more interesting. In walking dead, everyone is human so whatever surprises there is is kinda contain to the human/zombie element. Here people of Fabletown are more supernatural, fairy tale so things are just more interesting. Bad guys you know from the stories are not necesarrily bad anymore, good guys aren't really good anymore. Mostly everyone are different shades of gray.

They been pulled from their fairy tale world and now everyone is kinda really fucked up. Which really make for an interesting story and dynamic between characters you would never seen interacting together. Like you would never see the Big Bad Wolf and Snow White together.

I honestly think this is one of the best storyline I've played through in many many years. Even if you don't really like the mechanic of TellTale games. The story is definitely worth a play through.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

That just means that the funds-formerly-known-as-sale-money will get rolled over into a new monitor purchase or socked away for the winter sale.

I probably would have been able to buy more stuff too if it had been in July. Looking back on it, I probably should have crafted more badges before the sale started to sell, since those summer card prices at the start of the sale were so good. At least the winter sale is a while away to save up for.

Now if only real life, well real life outside of gaming, wouldn't get in the way of buying games :/

Hahaha well acquired taste is putting it likely. I think Brutal Legend is really a Marmite game, you'll either love it or you'll hate it. Well sections of at least!

Ah yeah I see. I've usually got my imgr account logged in and just save what I want to the desktop and drop it in and upload easy peazy. Does ShareX allow you to do any more editing of an image other than cropping it? That where even a basic work flow of Paint offers a bit of flexibility for me. So say you wanted to crop an image but it contained credentials or info you didn't want to show but can't crop out like a cd key or something, could you alter that in ShareX? Like just scribble over the bits you didn't want to show?

It has some effect selections, or you can just send it to paint.net and autoupload the result.
ShareX_-_Image_effects_-_Width_300%2C_Height_300%2C__2014-07-07_11-53-47.png

JaseC

I probably would have been able to buy more stuff too if it had been in July. Looking back on it, I probably should have crafted more badges before the sale started to sell, since those summer card prices at the start of the sale were so good. At least the winter sale is a while away to save up for.

Now if only real life, well real life outside of gaming, wouldn't get in the way of buying games :/

You didn't miss out on much by not crafting the Mysterious Cards early. They started at about 40c each but quickly dropped to around half that, where they remained for most of the sale before dropping further towards the end.

Jadax

Once you realise that all these choices etc. mean fuck-all in TellTale games you'll start to lose interest.

I played TWD1 strongly believing that my choices would make a difference, and to a certain extent it did (e.g. saving Kenny's kid vs the farmer kid), but when you reach the end you realise all this means absolutely nothing.

TellTale gives you a good impression of morality, choices with varying results etc. but this is all a mirage. Their games are actually quite linear - they're just made in such a way that other aspects of the games stand out and gloss over the big issues.

I don't know if this was changed for Wolf Among Us, still haven't played it, but hopefully it was.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I miss WooHoo :/

I think we all do, but that's what happens when someone wants to take a break :/

I miss DocSeuss too.

You didn't miss out on much by not crafting the Mysterious Cards early. They started at about 40c each but quickly dropped to around half that, where they remained for most of the sale before dropping further towards the end.

I thought they had sold for more at first, but either way .40 is still better than the .20 they hovered at towards the last few days of the sale.

Once you realise that all these choices etc. mean fuck-all in TellTale games you'll start to lose interest.

I played TWD1 strongly believing that my choices would make a difference, and to a certain extent it did (e.g. saving Kenny's kid vs the farmer kid), but when you reach the end you realise all this means absolutely nothing.

TellTale gives you a good impression of morality, choices with varying results etc. but this is all a mirage. Their games are actually quite linear - they're just made in such a way that other aspects of the games stand out and gloss over the big issues.

I don't know if this was changed for Wolf Among Us, still haven't played it, but hopefully it was.
A certain, seemingly huge, decision in the last episode of TWD1 was a big giveaway for the linearity, I felt. Whether I chose to do it or not, nothing changed. Lee did everything in pretty much the exact same way, the same stuff happened, etc.

Oublieux

mechanically its the same with even less puzzles (if thats possible). I only played the first ep tho

They been pulled from their fairy tale world and now everyone is kinda really fucked up. Which really make for an interesting story and dynamic between characters you would never seen interacting together. Like you would never see the Big Bad Wolf and Snow White together.

It has fairy tale elements?! I had NO idea or else I would have jumped on it earlier. I'm going to nab it during the Christmas/Winter sale then :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It has fairy tale elements?! I had NO idea or else I would have jumped on it earlier. I'm going to nab it during the Christmas/Winter sale then :)

its basically "what if fairy tale characters were real and lived in NY"

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I won Wolf Among Us during some 100 game giveaway on facebook 1 year ago with the help of GAF.
Every day they gave away 100 copies or sth. like that. And every day they were gone after about 1 second.

I remember getting to the screen that said I'd won and there was no code. Bitter disappointment. I bought it anyway, it's awesome, and Fables is fantastic.

Oublieux

its basically "what if fairy tale characters were real and lived in NY"

I actually like this idea and, as you mentioned, am kind of inclined to play it since the experience seems to be more about story-telling (less puzzles). I'm a sucker for fairy tale or fantasy-based themes. The title lends itself as fantasy, but I didn't know it would permeate the game to such an extent. Color me intrigued.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

Imo TellTale's worst offense is what they did with the 400 Days DLC. They advertised it as something that would bridge the gap between S1 and S2 and would introduce players to a lot of important characters for S2. All turned out to be lies as 5 of the 6 new characters introduced were 5 second cameos in a single episode...

Imo TellTale's worst offense is what they did with the 400 Days DLC. They advertised it as something that would bridge the gap between S1 and S2 and would introduce players to a lot of important characters for S2. All turned out to be lies as 5 of the 6 new characters introduced were 5 second cameos in a single episode...
I didn't know about this. That's.... immensely disappointing.

Shadownet

Banned

Yeah pretty much. Fairy Tales and Urban Legends.

Btw if you like that sort of things. Check out Once Upon A Time. It's a TV show. Where what happened when fairy tales characters live in this small town. There's a lot of drama, quite a bit of action. Its pretty fun. I started watching on Netflix based on a recommendation and I got hooked.

If you like something more serious then check out Grimm. Its a procedural cop show with overall arcs and fantasy fairy tales and urban legends elements to it. Its suspense/thriller. Kinda like Supernatural in a way mixed with Criminal Minds.

I might buy all the Fables collected books now and start reading it. Been meaning to pick it up for a while now.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Was it good though? I've still yet to finish S1. Need to get back to that at some point.

Tizoc

I know right? *bro fist* though
Faith
is also pretty hot. She still reminds me a lot of Elizabeth from BioShock Infinite.

But my god, Nerissa. Seeing her in that low cut cleavage dress was too much for me.

I just feel sad and bad they're wasted in that titty bar, every time I see Georgie I really want to punch the jerk. Maybe in a future playthrough I can wreck his stuff in the PnP during Ep. 2

Good thing I started WUA recently, with Ep. 5 releasing on the 8th, I can finish Ep. 4 tonight and finish it up tomorrow.
Just like Walking Dead: One Ep. a day haha.

Honestly having played both Walking Dead Season 1 and now playing through this. I think I like this a lot more. The characters are much more interesting. In walking dead, everyone is human so whatever surprises there is is kinda contain to the human/zombie element. Here people of Fabletown are more supernatural, fairy tail so things are just more interesting. Bad guys you know from the stories are not necesarrily bad anymore, good guys aren't really good anymore. Mostly everyone are different shades of gray.

I honestly think this is one of the best storyline I've played through in many many years. Even if you don't really like the mechanic of TellTale games. The story is definitely worth a play through.

Nice write-up.

As someone who's played Visual Novels and the recent Steins;Gate which was mostly just dialog, I'll say this:
If you want a nice story with an interesting setting and characters, you'll like Wolf Among Us. Voice acting is great and character interaction is good, but of course being a Telltale game your 'choices' amount to character dialogs, although Ep. 1 has one part where your choice does affect something small for the next few episodes.

Oublieux

Btw if you like that sort of things. Check out Once Upon A Time. It's a TV show. Where what happened when fairy tales characters live in this small town. There's a lot of drama, quite a bit of action. Its pretty fun. I started watching on Netflix based on a recommendation and I got hooked.

Such a coincidence... so, you know how I mentioned how I love fairy tales? I have been (and still am) totally watching this same show. I've almost completely watched S2. Despite some flaws, it's continually been on my watch list whenever I have time.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Was it good though? I've still yet to finish S1. Need to get back to that at some point.

Yes, if you treat it as a standalone episode and the fact that it has absolutely no impact on the events of S2 doesn't bother you I'd say it's worth it. Some of the mini-stories were really enjoyable.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The backstory to the Fables universe is actually pretty great too - the reason that all these fairytale characters have been turfed out of their worlds and ended up in the "mundy" (mundane) world is due to
The Adversary, an emperor warlord who has been taking over their homelands and opressing those within
. If you're at all interested in the concept you should really check out the comics, that whole underlying story is fantastic and the world building is superb.
Yes, if you treat it as a standalone episode and the fact that it has absolutely no impact on the events of S2 doesn't bother you I'd say it's worth it. Some of the mini-stories were really enjoyable.

Ah, good to hear. I have both that and Season 2 sitting in my backlog. Will start on those once TWAU is over. I played a bunch of S1 on the 360 so I just need to catch up to where I was. Then I might finish off BTTF...

Tizoc

If you like something more serious then check out Grimm. Its a procedural cop show with overall arcs and fantasy fairy tales and urban legends elements to it. Its suspense/thriller. Kinda like Supernatural in a way mixed with Criminal Minds.

I might buy all the Fables collected books now and start reading it. Been meaning to pick it up for a while now.
Will give once upon a time a watch.

Haven't followed Fables in YEARS, but you know how in Episode 3 if you visit
The Tweedles office
and inspect
Cinderella's
file, they mention her being in Europe? There's a comic about that
Dunno if she'll appear in Ep. 5 and I doubt it since she was not considered for the current story, but to be safe, click it after playing Ep. 5

Rhaknar

yo what the fuck, Asteria seems legit as shit o_O

played like 15min to try it out, its like...an action terraria? like Turrican meets Terraria, imagine if the terraria dude was fast as shit and has a metroid style hand cannon with infinite ammo.

you get on these proceduraly created worlds and explore, the first item you craft (yup theres crafting) is a digging tool (also much faster than terraria), in the short time ive played I found 2 drones, a light drone and a mining drone. Mining drone just goes beserk shooting caves opening paths. Both sides of the world I was on were lakes and I didnt want to drown so I just dug my way down and found those items in caves and shit. theres also loot (as in gear and armor) but I didnt find any

Like terraria (or starbound or all those games) you can dig anyware and go anyware. when you go underground and theres no light, if you keep shooting you light up the room which I thought was a nice touch. you also pick up dirt and rock and shit like those games, i assume to craft more shit.

Man, im really impressed, and I dont even really like those types of games. But a action-y take on them might be just for me. Theres a crazy trailer on the store page and the game was on a Groupees Bundle (key available now).

Keep an eye on this one for future sales or bundles. Oh and it has coop also

Shadownet

Banned
Such a coincidence... so, you know how I mentioned how I love fairy tales? I have been (and still am) totally watching this same show. I've almost completely watched S2. Despite some flaws, it's continually been on my watch list whenever I have time.

What show are you talking about? Once Upon A Time or Grimm? I haven't watch Grimm yet. I was trying to finish House MD first. Also another great show.

The backstory to the Fables universe is actually pretty great too - the reason that all these fairytale characters have been turfed out of their worlds and ended up in the "mundy" (mundane) world is due to The Adversary, an emperor warlord who has been taking over their homelands and opressing those within.
If you're at all interested in the concept you should really check out the comics, that whole underlying story is fantastic and the world building is superb.

Its nothing new to me. But you might wanna put a spoiler tag on that buddy.

Will give once upon a time a watch.

Haven't followed Fables in YEARS, but you know how in Episode 3 if you visit
The Tweedles office
and inspect
Cinderella's
file, they mention her being in Europe? There's a comic about that
Dunno if she'll appear in Ep. 5 and I doubt it since she was not considered for the current story, but to be safe, click it after playing Ep. 5

You should, but a warning though. This is an ABC show. Same channel that run Grey's Anatomy and stuff like that. So its pretty family friendly stuff, a lot of cheesy moments, romantic subplots. So if you can withstand that. Its a wonderful show. Some really great characters and *ahem* a tiny bit spoiler but Rumpletilskin is the best character of that show. You'll see why.

And as to that. Yeah I noticed it too. Which got me googling Fables. Apparently,
The Homelands where all the Fables hailed from actually encompassed many fairy tales and legends. Like just think of our world map but replace it with fairy tales geography.

There would be like the Arabian dessert, the land of Oz, even Middle-Earth (yup Hobbits Middle-Earth) the Land of Narnia, their own version of UK called Albion and even a version of Japan. There's a lot of lands that the Homelands covers.

If you Google "The Homelands Fables wiki a" you'll find an entry on it. Of course, its full of spoilery. Mostly geographical stuff.

rtcn63

It's 5am and I'm sleeping on a coffee table with a sheet over it. Divinity and Transistor run really poorly on an HD3000 (integrated graphics) BTW. Not recommended at all. Wonder how Injustice fairs. No gamepad though.

Tizoc

The backstory to the Fables universe is actually pretty great too - the reason that all these fairytale characters have been turfed out of their worlds and ended up in the "mundy" (mundane) world is due to The Adversary, an emperor warlord who has been taking over their homelands and opressing those within. If you're at all interested in the concept you should really check out the comics, that whole underlying story is fantastic and the world building is superb.

Ah, good to hear. I have both that and Season 2 sitting in my backlog. Will start on those once TWAU is over. I played a bunch of S1 on the 360 so I just need to catch up to where I was. Then I might finish off BTTF...

Dude spoilers, they might want to use that in the 2nd season or maybe hint at it in Ep. 5!

JaseC

Has anyone here played Dungeon of the Endless already? I'm not really into early access (wanted to write "EA", but that always sounds confusing) games but this one looks fairly interesting, at least to me.

Speaking of, I have the -50% Endless Space coupons sitting in my inventory from when I bought the Founder's Pack. They're valid until January 1st, 2016, and stack atop a pre-existing discount, if anybody would like them.

Shadownet

Banned
It's 5am and I'm sleeping on a coffee table with a sheet over it. Divinity and Transistor run really poorly on an HD3000 (integrated graphics) BTW. Not recommended at all. Wonder how Injustice fairs. No gamepad though.

I'm surprised your laptop isn't melting by now trying to run Divinity.

Durante

Is it just me or is Steam streaming much better than it used to be. I last tried it a few months ago and had quite a few latency/framedrop issues, but yesterday it was almost perfect.

Could help that I tried it with a turn-based game (Blackguards) this time around of course.

Shadownet

Banned
Speaking of, I have the -50% Endless Space coupons sitting in my inventory from when I bought the Founder's Pack. They're valid until January 1st, 2016, and stack atop a pre-existing discount, if anybody would like them.

WHY YOU NO MENTION THIS BACK DURING SUMMER SALE JASEC? :O

Well to be fair, there are still 2 episodes left and I think some of the characters from 400 days haven't showed up yet, like
Creepy truck dude, Russell, the kid that got in the truck with creepy truck dude, Vince and his buddy from the prison van, and Shel and her sister I don't think have showed up either, could be wrong on that one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom