• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

You should, but a warning though. This is an ABC show. Same channel that run Grey's Anatomy and stuff like that. So its pretty family friendly stuff, a lot of cheesy moments, romantic subplots. So if you can withstand that. Its a wonderful show. Some really great characters and *ahem* a tiny bit spoiler but Rumpletilskin is the best character of that show. You'll see why.
Oh that's fine with me, I'm more partial to lighter stuff these days, so I'm more encouraged to watch it haha.

And as to that. Yeah I noticed it too. Which got me googling Fables. Apparently,
The Homelands where all the Fables hailed from actually encompassed many fairy tales and legends. Like just think of our world map but replace it with fairy tales geography.

There would be like the Arabian dessert, the land of Oz, even Middle-Earth (yup Hobbits Middle-Earth) the Land of Narnia, their own version of UK called Albion and even a version of Japan. There's a lot of lands that the Homelands covers.

If you Google "The Homelands Fables wiki a" you'll find an entry on it. Of course, its full of spoilery. Mostly geographical stuff.

I know about most of the worlds actually, but as I said hadn't read the comic in years heh.

Shadownet

Banned
Well, you've one more Summer Sale to go until they expire. ;)

You silly goose, I ended up buying back during Summer Sale already :p

Though I haven't touch it for more than 10 mins. Look like there's a lot of options in the game. Its kinda overwhelming the amount of things you can do 0.o

There was like 20 different boxes and screens you can click on.

I should sit down and try it again sometimes.

Is it just me or is Steam streaming much better than it used to be. I last tried it a few months ago and had quite a few latency/framedrop issues, but yesterday it was almost perfect.

Could help that I tried it with a turn-based game (Blackguards) this time around of course.

Well, the beta gets updated from time to time. They recently added Nvidia encoding support.

Dr Dogg

Is it just me or is Steam streaming much better than it used to be. I last tried it a few months ago and had quite a few latency/framedrop issues, but yesterday it was almost perfect.

Could help that I tried it with a turn-based game (Blackguards) this time around of course.

It's been getting updates pretty much every week in the beta client. The 26th June update brought this little nugget.

General
Fixed installing games with very large files from retail disc

In-Home Streaming
Added support for XInput based arcade sticks and wheels on Windows clients
Added support for NVIDIA hardware encoding for D3D fullscreen games on GeForce 650+ cards and the latest beta NVIDIA driver (340.43)
Enabled fast desktop capture on Optimus laptops with the latest beta NVIDIA driver
Fixed regression causing a hang in Wolfenstein: The New Order

About the time streaming disabled Mac and Linux streaming that I started to get issues but after the public release it's been pretty flawless. Haven't tried any DX9 stuff in a while but hardware encoding should really solve the issue I was having there with massive latency spikes.

Edit: Aaaaand beaten by seconds :(

Hahahaha that's just brilliant and evil. How long has the Stanley Parable been out? I'm surprised this has only just happened.

wilflare

trying to do research for my thesis at the National Library...
but I'm falling sick instead.
gah

---

would want to go back to play some MGR

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Well to be fair, there are still 2 episodes left and I think some of the characters from 400 days haven't showed up yet, like
Creepy truck dude, Russell, the kid that got in the truck with creepy truck dude, Vince and his buddy from the prison van, and Shel and her sister I don't think have showed up either, could be wrong on that one though.

All the 400 Days protagonists
that decide to join Tavia were cameos in the last episode. I think Eddie, Wyatt's friend will show up in the next episode and I really hope that Nate, the creepy truck dude will show up too

Oublieux

What show are you talking about? Once Upon A Time or Grimm? I haven't watch Grimm yet. I was trying to finish House MD first. Also another great show.

My bad! I was talking about Once Upon a Time! Really dig that show and will have to give Grimm a shot myself.

Well, the beta gets updated from time to time. They recently added Nvidia encoding support.

It's been getting updates pretty much every week in the beta client. The 26th June update brought this little nugget.

About the time streaming disabled Mac and Linux streaming that I started to get issues but after the public release it's been pretty flawless. Haven't tried any DX9 stuff in a while but hardware encoding should really solve the issue I was having there with massive latency spikes.

Edit: Aaaaand beaten by seconds :(

to clarify

The current NVIDIA support is for fullscreen D3D9 games only. There's a major beta update coming in a few weeks that will add full support for D3D9/10/11 in both fullscreen and windowed modes, and OpenGL support is coming in a future NVIDIA driver update.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/522730702186815120/#c45350244905003963

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Once you realise that all these choices etc. mean fuck-all in TellTale games you'll start to lose interest.

I played TWD1 strongly believing that my choices would make a difference, and to a certain extent it did (e.g. saving Kenny's kid vs the farmer kid), but when you reach the end you realise all this means absolutely nothing.

TellTale gives you a good impression of morality, choices with varying results etc. but this is all a mirage. Their games are actually quite linear - they're just made in such a way that other aspects of the games stand out and gloss over the big issues.

I don't know if this was changed for Wolf Among Us, still haven't played it, but hopefully it was.
I loved TWD S1 despite all this. The journey was too good to let the false illusion of choice ruin it.

This isn't like Mass Effect 3, where the destination is a clusterfuck and the journey has several terrible moments. Here I thought the ending made sense and had a relation to the decisions I'd been making. Sure, the game is mostly linear, but it worked for me. I believed it, I accepted and embraced the trick, and I loved it.

saunderez

Some leftover bundle fodder. Bridge It is pretty good if you're into bridge building games, and Skyscraper Simulator is entertaining enough for an hour or 2, but the rest are pretty trashy and only useful for +1 your inventory....Anyways - Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (saunderez, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bridge It Plus -- MB-8E15A44C55921970 - Taken by electroflame
Skyscraper Simulator -- MB-F5157F245CED409D - Taken by Shadowplay1979
Professional Farmer 2014 -- MB-E2B80E8BB9AD4498 - Taken by redlacs
Agricultural Simulator: Historic Farming -- MB-867F90AB935ABA0D - Taken by Diedac

All the 400 Days protagonists
that decide to join Tavia were cameos in the last episode. I think Eddie, Wyatt's friend will show up in the next episode and I really hope that Nate, the creepy truck dude will show up too

Yeah he's the one I really want to see too, hopefully they do something with those characters, it would be a real shame otherwise. Also
if I'm not mistaken, the characters that go with Tavia can be different, If I remember right that was a player choice at the end, could be wrong though, haven't played it in forever. So some characters who didn't go might show up for some players.

Dr Dogg

The Music beta hasn't been touched for a long time. Still no desktop view added and still only mp3 support.

Opps sorry should have clarified that I meant that at least Valve are adding to the client. Granted there are still lots of little tweaks, changes and additions that their competitors have and enough issues for Jshackles to fix to last a lifetime but progress is progress. I'd imagine there will be more movement when the time comes for SteamOS to move out of beta but god knows when that will be. We all know what Valve are like with their timescales.

Kayant

Fixing my fuckup for entering Berlok giveaway without realizing I had the own Serious Sam set from a humble bundle a while back.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kayant, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

The First Templar -- MB-C2FDFBA1878ADE04 - Taken by The_Super_Inframan
Tropico Trilogy -- MB-1DF9F1AD8A44B7C0 - Taken by PunishedSnake
Inquisitor Deluxe Edition -- MB-96DE5654BE78F470 - Taken by ev0
Combat Wings: Battle of Britain -- MB-9E89B49EE5D87E57 - Taken by drakaenae
Hard Reset Extended Edition -- MB-48F90C4CCF031701 - Taken by wetflame
Zeno Clash 2 -- MB-ADC07FF036FEA738 - Taken by Indignate
Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-213B64A616E87749 - Taken by thebloo

Is there any way to see your game time/achievements for games you don't own but played through game share? Info for them seems to have been removed from the store pages which is how I used to find it. Can write reviews for them though.

Jadax

Too busy making money off Dota 2.

Dota 2 is awesome, I can't feel angry with Valve for giving it priority over other things.

True, this isn't 100% the kind of dota I hoped for back when IceFrog announced he was working with Valve to bring Dota to Steam - but it's much better than all other MOBAs out there, so whatever.

Benedict

Some extras.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Benedict, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Marine Sharpshooter II Jungle Warfare -- MB-951D89DDD4B6C12A - Taken by roadrunn3r
Nosferatu Wrath of Malachi -- MB-CE96193AAF980632 - Taken by lfvgt. 2 entrants total.
Soulbringer -- MB-A1F4D4FED5A7760C - Taken by nightstorm
Acension to the throne -- MB-5D3165C6C3C91171 - Taken by Phawx
Marine Sharpshooter 2 -- MB-951D89DDD4B6C12A - Taken by roadrunn3r

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Marine Sharpshooter 2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

liezryou

Dota 2 is awesome, I can't feel angry with Valve for giving it priority over other things.

True, this isn't 100% the kind of dota I hoped for back when IceFrog announced he was working with Valve to bring Dota to Steam - but it's much better than all other MOBAs out there, so whatever.

What did you expect then? Cause this dota is damn near perfect for a f2p game.

Kayant

Old keys not taken..... Come on guys origin isn't that bad :p.... I know it's a steam thread by free stuff ;)
ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kayant, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

vRvbDCu.png
Command Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising Origin Key -- MB-B532F6C82132E6B2 - Taken by Gunblade47. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space Origin Key -- MB-151D7D1868056095 - Taken by Pestilence11. 2 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Populous Origin Key -- MB-E7CAF79A16522520 - Taken by MehsterChief
Company of Heroes 2: German Commander - Storm Doctrine -- MB-FC84A89B62763AF7 - Taken by Alessandro. 1 entrants total.
Company of Heroes 2: Soviet Commander - Conscripts Support Tactics -- MB-1673D3BE2757ADDB - Taken by schroddycat. 3 entrants total.
Total War: Rome II - Nomadic Tribes Culture Pack -- MB-E2410417C005E806 - Taken by schroddycat
Company of Heroes 2: German Skin - Four Color Disruptive Pattern -- MB-D272585795102212 - Taken by lindarasta. 2 entrants total.

MadGear

Wow, thats so not me. I just bought Divinity - Original Sin because i felt like playing it tonight. Oh well, a moment of weakness.

kudoboi

Wow, thats so not me. I just bought Divinity - Original Sin because i felt like playing it tonight. Oh well, a moment of weakness.

i might also buy divinity original sin. i'm not a fan of the genre though. But if it is anything like diablo 3 i guess ill have some enjoyment

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
Some leftover bundle fodder. Bridge It is pretty good if you're into bridge building games, and Skyscraper Simulator is entertaining enough for an hour or 2, but the rest are pretty trashy and only useful for +1 your inventory....Anyways - Enjoy!

Skyscrapers..should be interesting..thanks!

FtHTiny

i might also buy divinity original sin. i'm not a fan of the genre though. But if it is anything like diablo 3 i guess ill have some enjoyment

It really hasn´t many things in common with diablo 3. Maybe you should look into it again before buying it.
The greatest difference is probably that it has turn based combat.

Indignate

Are any of you guys playing Divinity in co-op?

Wasn't that one of the focal points of the game and the reason for the conversion trees between the main characters?

Shadownet

Banned
Are any of you guys playing Divinity in co-op?

Wasn't that one of the focal points of the game and the reason for the conversion trees between the main characters?

Yeah I did it with Junko. You can have conversations between you and the other player at certain parts. Like when talking to another NPC. The dialogue choices you make give you some points.. For either agreeing or disagreeing with each other.

Don't know exactly what those points does though.

ev0

Finished Banner Saga, really enjoyed it, great art. However the economy of the game felt kind of unbalanced at times. I get the game wants you to feel like things are scarce but you can screw yourself a lot in that game if you didn't know what you were doing.

Anteater

Fuck me this took some digging to find the giveaways.

Copy of Little Inferno up for grabs. Go nuts!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94206127&postcount=2337

and an Origin key for C&C Red Alert 3 Uprising

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91137843&postcount=3368

I think I still have like thomas was alone and another game somewhere, too lazy to look for them, I saw someone giving away like 10 copies of thomas was alone the other day so I think I'm just going to wait, lol

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'd love it if the Steam client allowed you to mark games as "completed". Or just tag games within your collection, I guess. I'm sure something like that has to come eventually, the tagging in the store is probably a precursor.

Copons

I'd love it if the Steam client allowed you to mark games as "completed". Or just tag games within your collection, I guess. I'm sure something like that has to come eventually, the tagging in the store is probably a precursor.

Or, like, you could create a "completed" category. :p

Indignate

You can't disagree with your partner for eternity, it has to end somehow, a mini game.

True, but there should be a reaction from the story as per your disagreement rather than just coming down to "Alright, I'll rock/paper/scissor you for it,' every time.

Of course, I haven't seen it in action or anything, but it seems like a missed opportunity if it just comes down to the Star Wars MMO option of the decision being almost random with which way things happen.

Zafir

D:OS is strictly a keyboard and/or mouse affair - it's not controller-friendly at all.

I think it could easily have been considering it's turn based, but they didn't design for it. Which is a shame, I would much prefer controller support, I can't stand point and clicking to move, it's what makes me dislike Dota and Diablo. That said, I'll probably suffer through the annoyance for Divinity at some point since the game seems good.

True, but there should be a reaction from the story as per your disagreement rather than just coming down to "Alright, I'll rock/paper/scissor you for it,' every time.

Of course, I haven't seen it in action or anything, but it seems like a missed opportunity if it just comes down to the Star Wars MMO option of the decision being almost random with which way things happen.
The decision would affect your personality stat.

I think it could easily have been considering it's turn based, but they didn't design for it. Which is a shame, I would much prefer controller support, I can't stand point and clicking to move, it's what makes me dislike Dota and Diablo. That said, I'll probably suffer through the annoyance for Divinity at some point since the game seems good.
"Good" is merely an understatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom