• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Valve confirms it'll support the ROG Ally with its Steam Deck operating system

TMONSTER

I remember when Valve was making Steam Machines. Their plan was for other manufacturers to handle the hardware while they managed the software. Now that they've got the ball rolling with the Steam Deck, it makes sense for them to bring it to other devices and perhaps wind down their focus on the Steam Deck.

Crayon

I remember when Valve was making Steam Machines. Their plan was for other manufacturers to handle the hardware while they managed the software. Now that they've got the ball rolling with the Steam Deck, it makes sense for them to bring it to other devices and perhaps wind down their focus on the Steam Deck.

I think they'd keep with successors to the deck because having a reference device can be pretty helpful to a brand. And so far, the steam deck brand is tied 1:1 with steamos and the various tools associated.

It'll be interesting to see if SteamOS provides a performance uplift over Windows on the Ally. Even on super recent hardware like Ryzen 9700X, gaming performance is better on Linux (in this case, Nobara) than on Windows 11.

Darko

How is the experience? I confess I'm a bit unsure about installing it
Dual boot it.. it works just like steam deck basically but with more features like decky baked in.. I played spiderman games and it and was getting great frame rates at high settings

Last edited:

Crayon

I've been using nobara for... Idk how long now. It's great but I'm not a fan of the yum package manager extender thing. Doesn't cause any real problems, though.

StereoVsn

Just keep in mind that Valve will always have limited 3rd party device support since they don’t have enough employees to support the widespread rollout.

And they can’t get more due to Valve’s internal structure.

Personally I can’t wait to see next gen of devices, either with RDNA 3.5 in just released AMD’s mobile APUs or next year’s RDNA4.

iu

Cyberpunkd

I have said it before and I will say it again... MS is just stupid. They have spent billions chasing down console gaming and allowed Valve build a powerhouse in their very own backyard.

And right now, MS are likely oblivious to the fact that Steam OS is Slowly but surely becoming a thing.
You know the irony? Gabe was a Microsoft employee before founding Valve.

chakadave

Neo Member
It'll be interesting to see if SteamOS provides a performance uplift over Windows on the Ally. Even on super recent hardware like Ryzen 9700X, gaming performance is better on Linux (in this case, Nobara) than on Windows 11.
I'd say probably yes. A lighter weight OS always runs better on limited machines. Less resources go to the OS. More for the game.
Just keep in mind that Valve will always have limited 3rd party device support since they don’t have enough employees to support the widespread rollout.

And they can’t get more due to Valve’s internal structure.

Personally I can’t wait to see next gen of devices, either with RDNA 3.5 in just released AMD’s mobile APUs or next year’s RDNA4.
Teh beauty of an Open Source OS is there are already people working on it. As others have posted there are Linux based OS's using Steam OS.

Asus could develop for Steam OS. It is open source license. Or at least contribute to certain aspects. Valve doesn't need to do anything. They may have single handedly restored Linux Gaming to prominence. And have the funds to actually make an impact. This helps everyone that wants to get off off Windows.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So hyped for the steam deck 2

Hope they fix the form factor.
It’s waaay too fucking cluncky

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have said it before and I will say it again... MS is just stupid. They have spent billions chasing down console gaming and allowed Valve build a powerhouse in their very own backyard.

And right now, MS are likely oblivious to the fact that Steam OS is Slowly but surely becoming a thing.
Something something windows, their business isn't really gaming, other companies do that for them. So I think that's the reason why this happened. Also Valve extended already available libraries, so its not like they build it from scratch

Valve is making Linux palatable for Pc players that have no idea what an OS is so they don't care as long it works.
I hope they succeeded and put some pressure on Microsoft
That is the kind of competition that we, consumers, need.

So hyped for the steam deck 2

Hope they fix the form factor.
It’s waaay too fucking cluncky
I want the PC handheld makers to figure out the 'portable' part of these form factors. The 3DS Galaxy was onto something with the foldable clamshell. If they could just somehow fold up the device that includes the thumbsticks. I'm sure it can be done. Maybe magnetically detach and stow the sticks in a little holding bay similar to how the 3ds stowed the stylus.

Comandr

I want the PC handheld makers to figure out the 'portable' part of these form factors. The 3DS Galaxy was onto something with the foldable clamshell. If they could just somehow fold up the device that includes the thumbsticks. I'm sure it can be done. Maybe magnetically detach and stow the sticks in a little holding bay similar to how the 3ds stowed the stylus.
HMcJTzU.jpeg

It’s been figured out. The problem is when you have high power and small form factor it gets hot. While big, the steam deck is a ridiculously comfortable device. The grips and controls are physically distant enough from the processor and heat sink that the user never finds any discomfort from excess heat.

You either have a device physically large enough for proper ventilation and heat dissipation..

Or you have an extremely compact and portable device that’s going to get very hot and or unpleasant to use for extended periods.

Valve and many others made a judgement call and I think it was the right one.

Roxkis_ii

Android eats Microsoft lunch on cellphones,
iOS eats Microsoft's lunch on tablets and now Steams Os is going to eat their lunch on handhelds. When is Microsoft going to learn to not try and fit windows on everthing like it's doom. Or at least have a smarts to make a device specific front end.

This actually makes the Asus ROG a lot more attractive.

DrDryRub

Neo Member
Android eats Microsoft lunch on cellphones,
iOS eats Microsoft's lunch on tablets and now Steams Os is going to eat their lunch on handhelds. When is Microsoft going to learn to not try and fit windows on everthing like it's doom. Or at least have a smarts to make a device specific front end.

This actually makes the Asus ROG a lot more attractive.
Do you have an rog ally or Windows device? People generally bought the windows devices because they offer the flexibility of windows. They are mobile computers. I've had the Rog ally and now the ally X and never had any problems navigating the OS. Windows works perfectly fine on handhelds. A dedicated to these devices would be nice but as it is I see no reason why anyone could complain about windows . Unless steam OS is getting native Xbox gamepass, gog, battle net and other stores I don't need it or offers a clear performance advantage I'm not switching. Maybe I'll dual boot to check it out but I still don't see myself bouncing between the 2.

Roxkis_ii

Do you have an rog ally or Windows device? People generally bought the windows devices because they offer the flexibility of windows. They are mobile computers. I've had the Rog ally and now the ally X and never had any problems navigating the OS. Windows works perfectly fine on handhelds. A dedicated to these devices would be nice but as it is I see no reason why anyone could complain about windows . Unless steam OS is getting native Xbox gamepass, gog, battle net and other stores I don't need it or offers a clear performance advantage I'm not switching. Maybe I'll dual boot to check it out but I still don't see myself bouncing between the 2.

I heard of a few people who preferred using windows for those uses, but in general I find using windows outside of a standard desktop or laptop, clunky at best.

Now I haven't used windows on the ROG, so maybe it's setup to be a lot easier to use.

Can you navigate the desktop with the analog stick?

Does windows still use more battery then any other moble OS?

Top Bottom