• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majukun

don't know if there's someone who already doesn't own the game but,anyway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Majukun, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Ship -- MB-F6863D55428F0A90 - Taken by super-famicom

t1404773365z1.png

Is Risen 2 any good? I seen it was cheap today, and was on the top sellers as well. haven't really heard much of it. Just wanted to hear your guys opinions.

Knurek

Just wrapped up another two achievs in Crimzon Clover (unlocked the hidden ship basically).
Was also close to another one - reached EX Boss 2 in Novice Boost mode. So, so close to that coveted 1CC.
Absolutely best non-emulated PC shooter. Touhou girls can go eat a dick.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im surprised at how much you can play New Order all stealth like. Game is too good

ArjanN

I think that game is supposed to be impossible. Have you inserted the VHS tape into the VCR yet? Or the floppy disk into the computer?

No it's actually totally possible to get good at Surgeon Simulator. You can do all the operations in about 1-2 minutes if you practice enough.
And you have to for the achievements :p

Best Surgeon In The Universe
189356b94fab66ab41b1ea35f783d7f9b8f51792.jpg

boom.

Another day, another backlog game down. The Walking Dead. I left this one alone because the save game thing was fucked for me. I bought it after episode 2, and I couldn't continue the game once episode 3 was installed. Still told me it was "coming soon."

Great story, even though someone spoiled the big ending for me. I like how they throw your choices back in your face from time to time. It's a game where you really are damned if you do and damned if you don't. And sometimes that's okay. It's probably one of the only genres of game where "you fucked up royal, now deal with it" is acceptable. I also like how there's no save/load system so you can't just go back and try the other choice.

Speaking of saves, the save game thing after episodes was STILL fucked up for me even after I reinstalled it and replayed episode 1. Moving on to episode 2 it replayed the last scene just as I'd left off from prior to the reinstall. Turns out I needed to copy a file from one directory in my Documents folder to one in my Steam folder after every episode or else it wouldn't remember the choices. And naturally I couldn't get that info from Telltale. They make good games but their support leaves a shit-ton to be desired. I'm not sure if I can trust them enough to buy from them again. If I do, I will definitely wait until all the episodes are out first. Learned that lesson.

Oh, and one more thing (stealth edit:) Fuck any game that adds DLC achievements. Oh, you didn't buy it? Guess you don't get a "perfect game" on your list then! What a shitty policy.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
I should really get in on this Playfire rewards thing. Seems like it saves quite a bit of money in the long run.

You missed the times where they rewarded up to £0.50 for achievements and for any games. Now they mostly give you £0.10 (or £0.15) per achievement and only list games which can be ordered from GMG.

But you still get money for playing games which is pretty awesome.

If you want to run it then go for it, I'll put a link and details in the OP if it works outs out..

You just need to find the initial fundraising goal for the first month l, I would recommend just creating a new thread to fund raise the money and just link it back here so everyone knows (for the sake of the of thread, plus I'm sure more of gaf would have vetted interest in this.)

I would be happy to chip in a tenner on my next payday.

Sounds good. Before I really dig into this, does anyone have any recommendations for server rentals? I'm looking at multiplay right now and we can rent a 26 player CS:GO server for around $30 a month. If we want to add different games to swap between it's another $4-$8 per game. I'm thinking we keep it simple for now and just remain CS:GO with additional games later down the line if there is any interest.

EDIT: It doesn't look like I can switch between valve games using the same server and have to order another one if we decide to use Multiplay, that's a pain.

No it's actually totally possible to get good at Surgeon Simulator. You can do all the operations in about 1-2 minutes if you practice enough.
And you have to for the achievements :p

Best Surgeon In The Universe
189356b94fab66ab41b1ea35f783d7f9b8f51792.jpg

boom.

I was mostly joking, trying to drive home the fact that it is pretty hard at first.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm sort of hoping they somehow nail the "pokemon" effect where each enemy being capturable and unique with full move sets works out right.

Originally, it reminded me of Cadash, which I have a soft spot for, but I don't think it's actually like that much now that I've seen more about it.

I'm super hesitant about it at this point, but for $6, I figured I'd take a gamble on it and hope it's decent. I mean, I don't like Ace Team's previous work very much, but apparently this was also made by Gravelord_Nito's mom? I think that's what Rhaknar told us. So yeah... #SupportSteamGAF.

The running joke. Also add my mom made Dark Souls 2. Very talented woman.

Caerith

Is Risen 2 any good? I seen it was cheap today, and was on the top sellers as well. haven't really heard much of it. Just wanted to hear your guys opinions.
Risen 2 is my favorite Risen. Compared to the first Risen:
+ Better combat
+ "Instant death" traps replaced by "instant death but you can QTE to live" traps
+ Characters are more interesting
+ Dialogue is better
+ You don't spend the entire game barefoot
- Pickpocketing no longer has distraction dialogue

im surprised at how much you can play New Order all stealth like. Game is too good

I love New Order.
That Wolfenstein game looks pretty sweet, too.

I really didn't like it, but I didn't play for very long so it might get better later on.

My main problem was that it seemed like a pretty combat-focused game but the combat felt completely unrewarding to me.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
so, where is my 100% fun team?

Figures that the one time I sleep in really late that I miss out on playing a game.

Might have missed it while looking through the pages I missed, but Memories of a Vagabond is now out on Steam. It's been in a few bundles, the most prominent being Indie Royale's Debut 13 bundle. No Steam keys for IR yet, of course, since it always takes that site forever to get keys.

Caerith

Fuck any game that adds DLC achievements. Oh, you didn't buy it? Guess you don't get a "perfect game" on your list then! What a shitty policy.

With the exception of Civ V doing that, I agree completely. Telltale was even worse though by making two of those DLC achievements dependent on the choices you made during gameplay (and one of those completely luck-dependent).

I generally don't like achievements that exist solely for "you played the game, congrats," but if your game is supposed to be highly dependent on player choice and emotional resonance, then don't add missable achievements.

iosefe

Figures that the one time I sleep in really late that I miss out on playing a game.

Might have missed it while looking through the pages I missed, but Memories of a Vagabond is now out on Steam. It's been in a few bundles, the most prominent being Indie Royale's Debut 13 bundle. No Steam keys for IR yet, of course, since it always takes that site forever to get keys.

100%GAF is go

So i'm not a strategy grognard at all, but holy cow did I enjoy my first hour of Ultimate General: Gettysburg. I never expected to wrap my head around real-time strategy battle game, but I'm having a blast with it. I'm sure hardcore wargame sim people will find it too simple, but to me it's a very refreshing and easy-to-play take on the genre.

- the engine is actually super pretty and runs well even on my janky office computer. They've sacrificed realism for a more... painterly? tilt-shift? style, and it really works.

- The game takes care of lots of the little stuff I probably wouldn't bother with; troop formations, etc. You really focus your efforts on positioning and knowing where and when to attack / flank / retreat. They've also generally limited troops to four types (skirmishers, infantry, cavalry, and artillery) that follow pretty sensible rock-paper-scissors advantages against each other.

- The basic controls are amazingly simple too, click-n-drag to set a movement path, click a unit then click an enemy they can see to have them attack that unit.

- the game actually runs on an internal clock/timeline so troop reinforcements show up when they actually would have in the real battle.

- units persist from battle to battle, so if you chew up Unit X on a senseless charge that serves no purpose in battle 1, they're going to be seriously depleted in battle 2.

- The objectives aren't "slaughter everyone!" For example, as the Union, your goal of day 1 is just to survive the day and give up as little ground as possible, holding out for your reinforcements. Then, based on what key areas you gained or lost over the day, you'll have three strategies available for the next day (i.e. "hold the northern hills at all costs!" -vs- "retreat and focus on Cemetary Hill!" -vs- "reinforce the south, and fight a retreating battle in the north!") that change depending on what you did in the first day.

- You can actually set one of 9 different AI profiles that are arranged on two axes: easy-to-hard, and conservative-to-aggressive. This strikes me as a super-cool idea, as I could imagine playing hard battles against a conservative/defensive AI versus a hyper-aggressive one could yield very, very different outcomes.

So yeah, only an hour in so far, but very impressed.

Newblade

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Newblade, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

header_292x136.jpg

Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-1B72C7A50199E0EB - Taken by BinaryPork2737

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
unturned didnt give me a +1 even tho it said "congratulations its now added to your account"

bluechox2

pKSlqny.png

What is this?:
This is a time when SteamGAF can get together to play CS:GO. We will be playing casual matches, players from all skill levels are welcome!

When we are playing: Estimate Time
t1404775800z4.png

What we are playing:
We are playing public matches through the casual matchmaking system. Due to the limitations of the party system there are only 10 spots available in the party. After the party is full, we will be placed in a public server where anyone can join the game.

How to join us:

At the designated time I will make another post here announcing that we are starting. Add me as a friend on steam and through the main menu join the same game that I am in at that time.

In the future:
If we have enough consistent players, we may consider setting up or renting a server for drop in drop out gaf matches.

Come join us and have fun!

sounds good, ill try to join if i have time

Nabs

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-8F5728A155A60679 - Taken by Sgt.Pepper

Enjoy.

More like being tortured by a person with schizophrenia.

Haha I felt the same with that game after a few hours and never went back. I like obtuse puzzlers and all but that game is a bit too much for it's own good.

Anyways steam gaf, I bought Broforce earlier today before it went off sale and kind of wish I had waited until it's a little more complete. Don't get me wrong I love it, but after finishing the campaign in it's current state at 98 minutes I think I should have waited :/

I know it's in early access and all but still.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Free +1 to your game count.

Have any F2P games in the last week-to-ten days not used the +1-friendly individual sub approach, instead of the old only-tied-to-your-account-if-you-buy sub 0 approach? I wish I had kept Moonbase Alpha installed, since it's been delisted. Also wouldn't mind adding Super Crate Box and You Have To Win The Game to my account. Some of the best F2P games on Steam are just free, not F2P.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay going to finally play Papers Please. Any tips before hand?

Every time you go to make a decision briefly review the rules in your head and make sure the person passes inspection.

Practically a cheat code it makes the game so much easier:
Food and heat at your apartment only need to be turned on every second day, so you can save an enormous amount of money with no in-game ramifications if you turn them off to save money every second day.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well was bringing up some of the games I need to go through from the sale and realized I owned Antichamber, Dustforce, and a few other things without having remembered purchasing them... W-whats happening to me?

But I guess I'm not the only one starting up Papers, Please today also!

Have any F2P games in the last week-to-ten days not used the +1-friendly individual sub approach, instead of the old only-tied-to-your-account-if-you-buy sub 0 approach? I wish I had kept Moonbase Alpha installed, since it's been delisted. Also wouldn't mind adding Super Crate Box and You Have To Win The Game to my account. Some of the best F2P games on Steam are just free, not F2P.

I see a Moonbase Alpha on the Steam store.

Vuze

tumblr_marfcgQkNQ1qclb0e.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Haha, loving the show so far and haven't even finished season 1 :D

-

SteamGAF CSGO meetup sounds great, it will be 1am over here tho when it takes place. Have fun everybody!

I also wish Steam would allow for some notice when sending friend requests.

MRORANGE

Sounds good. Before I really dig into this, does anyone have any recommendations for server rentals? I'm looking at multiplay right now and we can rent a 26 player CS:GO server for around $30 a month. If we want to add different games to swap between it's another $4-$8 per game. I'm thinking we keep it simple for now and just remain CS:GO with additional games later down the line if there is any interest.

EDIT: It doesn't look like I can switch between valve games using the same server and have to order another one if we decide to use Multiplay, that's a pain.

Have a go and see what happens, the benefits with these server setups is that we can scrap it next month for something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom