• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

It was suggested here yesterday and I got to looking at this today.

Basically, Enhanced Steam will add a "lightbox" effect to screenshots, so that you can view them without having to have multiple tabs open and swap between them.

It's pretty basic at the moment, but I should be able to add the ability to scroll or flip through all the screenshots on a particular page pretty easily.

112066vujdo.gif

Seaklng

Banned

Nah, you deserve a break. Don't be so hard on yourself c:
What are you going to school for, if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing something related to gaming, since you mentioned that you've done game projects for school.

That really sucks. Hiding in a cold, dark room, in my bed, with a cold back is my go to thing as well. As well as taking my pills to knock it out, but they usually leave me pretty out of it for a while, like a day or so after. Cold packs are literally a life saver. I wouldn't know what to do without them. (Thankfully, I don't have cancer anymore, so it's not bad.)

You'll get better. Just take small steps and next thing you know, you'll be a pro at the social skills. c:

That's really awesome! I hope that you can achieve your goals in a timely manner. Getting things out there will be good for you. It really does sound like you're on the right track, so keep headed that direction. I believe in you!

Nabs

Basically, Enhanced Steam will add a "lightbox" effect to screenshots, so that you can view them without having to have multiple tabs open and swap between them.

It's pretty basic at the moment, but I should be able to add the ability to scroll or flip through all the screenshots on a particular page pretty easily.

Thank you.

Chariot

Belgium -- MB-FD7913EC4336F114 - Taken by PriitV - Taken by PriitV. 13 entrants total.
USA -- MB-A747330D69DB56A1 - Taken by Volimar - Taken by Volimar. 5 entrants total.
Well, that is certainly not in the States favour.

dani_dc

So, a few thoughts on the past few Steam sales.
I think the first thing to note, is that Steam itself grew significantly in terms of content available, yet the sales didn't grow the reflect this, the number of deals offered barely grew and this results in a smaller percentage of games getting any visibility during the sales.

The software section of Steam really should be getting it's own section of sales, they ultimately appeal to a different audience than the one that's buying the games, so they should be in their own space and appeal to their own base.

The sales also mostly focus on the bigger stuff while smaller games gets mostly ignored, and while it's natural that the bigger games get more visibility since they're going to have higher sales, Steam used to attempt to give smaller games their own space in the past, such as having a "Daily Indie" section during a Winter sale a few years ago, and "Indie packs" before that, yet now there seems to be no effort to give any specific focus to the smaller games, despite there existing more of those than ever before. They're just content letting those games lost in mess that is the Steam store, which I think is a shame.

I also think that the two level-tier of discount is disingenuous and counter-productive, without knowing if games will be featured as a flash/daily/community, this system seems made to tell for developers to hold out their discount and try to have as big difference between both discounts as possible to increase the chances of being featured as a deeper discount.
In the end I suspect we get lower discount than if developers were let know that they wouldn't be featured in the flash/daily/community pool.

The two points above end up leading to situations such as Ikaruga, a game from a seasoned developer who's giving it's first steps on the PC market, to never be featured in the main page while also failing to reach the 75% discount they were willing to go due to Valve policies, I can't imagine that this situation left Treasure (and quite a few gamers) particularly happy.

Overall, I think Valve really needs to go back and rethink their approach to the Steam sales, Steam is a whole different beast compared to when they started this type of events, and the sales events haven't evolved to reflect this.

I'd say Netherlands, but then I'd have to actually end of doing it. :p

Awesomenauts would be a good choice for that. Or Luftrausers. I might do that actually if the Dutch win, though only give away one copy. Sadly however, my country didn't make it to the World Cup cause we're shite.

masterkajo

After buying The Witcher 2 on the cheap I decided to finally start The Witcher 1. I'm taking my time and still doing a bunch of random things at the outskirts of Vizima, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Since the game doesn't have native controller support, gameplay-wise I decided to go with the isometric view instead of over the shoulder so I can play it mostly with the mouse pointer. I'm playing from the couch and that's definitely more conformable to go with than using keyboard movement, although I still have it close by for a few odd shortcuts.

Lack of fast travel can be a bit annoying sometimes with so much back and forth, but it's manageable since the areas so far weren't too big. I appreciate how the game doesn't take itself seriously a lot of times. The romance cards are ridiculous and a lot of scenes are pretty funny (like the villagers
thinking the Mill was getting haunted again while Geralt and Vesna were fucking inside
). Plus, Geralt seems to be always throwing shade and lowkey making fun of everyone, which I dig and didn't expect to be the case whenever I saw pictures of the Witcher games.

Great you are enjoying it. The Witcher really is an excellent story telling experience. It takes a while to get going but if you are enjoying the beginning already you are in for a treat later down the road.

Hugstable

Banned
So, a few thoughts on the past few Steam sales.
I think the first thing to note, is that Steam itself grew significantly in terms of content available, yet the sales didn't grow the reflect this, the number of deals offered barely grew and this results in a smaller percentage of games getting any visibility during the sales.

The software section of Steam really should be getting it's own section of sales, they ultimately appeal to a different audience than the one that's buying the games, so they should be in their own space and appeal to their own base.

The sales also mostly focus on the bigger stuff while smaller games gets mostly ignored, and while it's natural that the bigger games get more visibility since they're going to have higher sales, Steam used to attempt to give smaller games their own space in the past, such as having a "Daily Indie" section during a Winter sale a few years ago, and "Indie packs" before that, yet now there seems to be no effort to give any specific focus to the smaller games, despite there existing more of those than ever before. They're just content letting those games lost in mess that is the Steam store, which I think is a shame.

I also think that the two level-tier of discount is disingenuous and counter-productive, without knowing if games will be featured as a flash/daily/community, this system seems made to tell for developers to hold out their discount and try to have as big difference between both discounts as possible to increase the chances of being featured as a deeper discount.
In the end I suspect we get lower discount than if developers were let know that they wouldn't be featured in the flash/daily/community pool.

The two points above end up leading to situations such as Ikaruga, a game from a seasoned developer who's giving it's first steps on the PC market, to never be featured in the main page while also failing to reach the 75% discount they were willing to go due to Valve policies, I can't imagine that this situation left Treasure (and quite a few gamers) particularly happy.

Overall, I think Valve really needs to go back and rethink their approach to the Steam sales, Steam is a whole different beast compared to when they started this type of events, and the sales events haven't evolved to reflect this.

I agree with the whole community vote thing. Even if they didn't win they should have still had a chance since they were willing to discount their games in the first place. The fact that Borderlands 2 amd Alan Wake were up mulitple times should have given spots to games like Ikaruga, Half Minute Hero and others. I also said it yesterday, but I miss the steam summer sale themed achievements. Those not only got me to buy Indie games I normally wouldn't have bought, but it got me interested in them due to actually playing them. Like Dungeons of Dredmor and Binding of Issac

Jawmuncher

Wolfenstein is a fun game. But man performance for me is all over the place. I seem to be at some good settings now. But damn I find it odd that I can run Crysis 3 just fine on high but TNWO can have all sorts of drops.

Mono

After buying The Witcher 2 on the cheap I decided to finally start The Witcher 1. I'm taking my time and still doing a bunch of random things at the outskirts of Vizima, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Since the game doesn't have native controller support, gameplay-wise I decided to go with the isometric view instead of over the shoulder so I can play it mostly with the mouse pointer. I'm playing from the couch and that's definitely more conformable to go with than using keyboard movement, although I still have it close by for a few odd shortcuts.

Lack of fast travel can be a bit annoying sometimes with so much back and forth, but it's manageable since the areas so far weren't too big. I appreciate how the game doesn't take itself seriously a lot of times. The romance cards are ridiculous and a lot of scenes are pretty funny (like the villagers
thinking the Mill was getting haunted again while Geralt and Vesna were fucking inside
). Plus, Geralt seems to be always throwing shade and lowkey making fun of everyone, which I dig and didn't expect to be the case whenever I saw pictures of the Witcher games.

I can't stand the Witcher's controls; it's very dated. :( The game is still excellent, though.

The trading card sex collection mini game in the Witcher never ceases to crack me up.

masterkajo

Witcher 1 doesn't have controller support?

uh oh... I bought it during steam sale and I mostly couch fame with my PC..
We'll see..

I played through most of it using Xpadder. Works, not overwhelmingly well but you can manage if you don't play on the hardest difficulty. Since you will be using the mouse a lot you have to get used to controlling the mouse with the controller. Regarding the camera I chose the 3rd person camera and had to use the mouse mainly for inventory management.

Toki767

I know CD Projekt Red is totally focused on The WItcher 3, but I'd pay good money for an HD remaster of The Witcher 1 with controller support.

I played through most of it using Xpadder. Works, not overwhelmingly well but you can manage if you don't play on the hardest difficulty. Since you will be using the mouse a lot you have to get used to controlling the mouse with the controller. Regarding the camera I chose the 3rd person camera and had to use the mouse mainly for inventory management.

i'll probably just deal with it and try to play it with my mouse and keyboard.

Arthos

What are you talking about? It already exists, I bought it today.

dot-chan, pls.

Pretty excited about Magic 2015 being available. I understand people's criticisms that it is watered-down and hardly changes year over year, but each year, it reliably provides me 10-15 hours of a great time playing the campaign, so I can't really complain.

Ah, thanks for mentioning Magic! I was waiting for it to appear on Steam. Games are fun.

Articalys

For a brief moment I though the Rad Bats thing might have been a slightly subtler reference, like one of the Batman games or something.

someone should make this real.

I get the feeling that if the Bad Rat's devs weren't in charge, then they'd complain about trademark infringements due to the similarities in the name being potentially confusing between the two products. Not sure if that would actually hold up though.

If they make it though, no problem.

thebloo

I know CD Projekt Red is totally focused on The WItcher 3, but I'd pay good money for an HD remaster of The Witcher 1 with controller support.

I don't care about the controller part, but I'd buy a remaster of that game in a heartbeat. I'd skip Witcher 3 for W1 any day.

dot

No one even commented on my Good Rats page. Rude. You know how long it took for me to screencap that?!

I don't even care, i'll be playing my Good Rats while all of you play your crappy Divinity OS and Shovel Knights.

b-bakas!

#hailhydra #AMURICA #goodrats #juststeamthings #uguu

Alien8

This is great. Thank you very much!

Arthos

No one even commented on my Good Rats page. Rude. You know how long it took for me to screencap that?!

I don't even care, i'll be playing my Good Rats....

b-bakas!

#hailhydra #AMURICA #goodrats #juststeamthings #uguu

Or Guild Wars 2. :p

Helmholtz

I found the first Witcher to have a surprisingly good sense of humor with a lot of light hearted moments. I think Witcher 2 became a bit more serious (though it still retained some of those elements). Witcher 1 was an enjoyable game I think, I powered through it before the second one came out. Interesting story and more focus on characters like the dwarf and the bard (can't really remember their names anymore). The gameplay is kind of dated, but at the same time it works fine and it's sort of unique.

Because I don't know exactly who to give these to, they're going up here.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Banner Saga -- MB-27E1798F62E304B8 - Taken by UncleBiz. 22 entrants total.
Transistor -- MB-392F2FAEF6E064BE - Taken by BernardoOne. 71 entrants total.
The Wolf Among Us -- MB-E8C295C9DFDF311D - Taken by Dusk Golem. 25 entrants total.
Europa Universalis IV Extreme (no Tak Fuji) -- MB-936F6164E6DC0324 - Taken by oipic. 7 entrants total.
Broken Age Plus Soundtrack -- MB-19FF44B8AF403698 - Taken by ViviOggi. 13 entrants total.

t1404257750z1.png
I would like to thank all the wonderful GAFfers who have gifted and given away games from the Steam sale recently. It's been a wild ride reading the sale threads, and I feel like there's so many more games going for cheap than I'll ever have time to play (or want to play). So I'm making sure these deals get out to someone.

Three-quarters of an hour left for juniors to enter for six cool games! And the regular-member giveaway's just gone below two hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom