• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
Just when I thought I was safe to dive into my games from the sale...

Lol Blizzzard is really releasing their own Moba? I'm guessing Hearthstone is their magic like card game. I haven't really played or followed much Blizzard stuff since WoW in like 2007 haha.

jblank83

Sunless Sea is being described as a sort of FTL type game. It is its own thing, but people always want a comparison, so there it is. It's set in a Lovecraftian world.

I watched some youtube let's plays and it looked promising.

ViviOggi

I actually originally got it for work to save some strain on my wrist, so I could game with my mouse at home without worrying so much about it, but then realized I could play stuff with it, too~

USB extension cables (and hubs) are as cheap as they are long. If you ever decide to go that route for comfy gaming, there's a table that beats any tray (discussed just yesterday actually).

SteamGAF being helpful as ever!

Sunless Sea is being described as a sort of FTL type game. It is its own thing, but people always want a comparison, so there it is. It's set in a Lovecraftian world.

I watched some youtube let's plays and it looked promising.

Seems very interesting now :)

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Speaking of extra money...

I am having a ton of fun with Dark Souls 2. I never did play the first one.

Should I bother? Or should I just revel in my ignorance and enjoy #2?

Dolor

So, a few thoughts on the past few Steam sales.
I think the first thing to note, is that Steam itself grew significantly in terms of content available, yet the sales didn't grow the reflect this, the number of deals offered barely grew and this results in a smaller percentage of games getting any visibility during the sales.

The software section of Steam really should be getting it's own section of sales, they ultimately appeal to a different audience than the one that's buying the games, so they should be in their own space and appeal to their own base.

The sales also mostly focus on the bigger stuff while smaller games gets mostly ignored, and while it's natural that the bigger games get more visibility since they're going to have higher sales, Steam used to attempt to give smaller games their own space in the past, such as having a "Daily Indie" section during a Winter sale a few years ago, and "Indie packs" before that, yet now there seems to be no effort to give any specific focus to the smaller games, despite there existing more of those than ever before. They're just content letting those games lost in mess that is the Steam store, which I think is a shame.

I also think that the two level-tier of discount is disingenuous and counter-productive, without knowing if games will be featured as a flash/daily/community, this system seems made to tell for developers to hold out their discount and try to have as big difference between both discounts as possible to increase the chances of being featured as a deeper discount.
In the end I suspect we get lower discount than if developers were let know that they wouldn't be featured in the flash/daily/community pool.

The two points above end up leading to situations such as Ikaruga, a game from a seasoned developer who's giving it's first steps on the PC market, to never be featured in the main page while also failing to reach the 75% discount they were willing to go due to Valve policies, I can't imagine that this situation left Treasure (and quite a few gamers) particularly happy.

Overall, I think Valve really needs to go back and rethink their approach to the Steam sales, Steam is a whole different beast compared to when they started this type of events, and the sales events haven't evolved to reflect this.

To counter you a little, I think this is a double-edged sword though. One, because all games have to compete for the admittedly small number of spots, that increases competition between the devs to lower their prices and gives us a better overall deal. Taken to an absurd extreme, if there were hundreds of sales slots, no one would have to discount their game too much because everyone would get a slot anyway. In a very real way, because of this, a spot on a Steam sale is more or less guaranteed to be a "good" deal because of this.

Second, I think Valve is acutely aware of all the criticism they are getting for allowing more and more games in. Imagine how much more criticism they would get if the "mainstream" gamers couldn't buy Borderlands 2 or whatever because they were focusing on so many indie games.

Third, I think there are a lot of different types of customers on Steam. Some, like me, have 500+ games and have picked up a whole lot of the games we already wanted and so want sales on more obscure titles, but for the vast majority of Steam's customers who don't have that many games, a sale on Borderlands or Alan Wake is a whole lot more likely to sell than Ikaruga (even though I too want Ikaruga a lot more than Alan Wake).

I personally just wish they would start to allow 3rd party stores sooner rather than later so that someone can start to serve the indie/smaller game market a little better.

How do you people have so much money left over after the sale?
I do not. For that matter, I'm reaching into my tuition money every time I splurge, so I gotta be careful aka buy from Russians.

Big shout-out to Tenrius (Keldorn on Steam) for helping fund my gift and giveaway purchases. He offered to buy from the Russian store in the first summer sale thread this year, so I took him up and reciprocated when the time came.

Caerith

Okay, this looks adorable.

Warning: This game is crammed full of monsters, cake, amazing powers, puzzly bits, epic adventure, witty repartee, secret paths, unlockable characters, silly hats and a wiener dog. Use caution if you are allergic to fun or overly sensitive to cake-related pathos.

bakeray

Lol Blizzzard is really releasing their own Moba? I'm guessing Hearthstone is their magic like card game. I haven't really played or followed much Blizzard stuff since WoW in like 2007 haha.
Yup. I've been playing LoL a lot and was complaining about 2 days ago how I always buy Blizz's stuff and am a loyal customer and never get into betas/alphas and just got in so it looks like I'm going into hermit mode for the rest of the summer haha

I would definitely say that Dark Souls 1 is worth playing. You don't necessarily have to put down DS2 to do it, but buy the first one and play it some time after you get done with 2.

Purkake4

Banned
header_292x136.jpg

Sunless Sea looks really good too. It looks like a rogue-lite with a lot of promise.
I was really interested in this, but after seeing some gameplay videos, it seems less like Lovecraftian FTL and more like a visual novel. Will see how it works out, but no early access for me.

L.O.R.D

Because I don't know exactly who to give these to, they're going up here.

I would like to thank all the wonderful GAFfers who have gifted and given away games from the Steam sale recently. It's been a wild ride reading the sale threads, and I feel like there's so many more games going for cheap than I'll ever have time to play (or want to play). So I'm making sure these deals get out to someone.

Three-quarters of an hour left for juniors to enter for six cool games! And the regular-member giveaway's just gone below two hours!

thanks

sora87

So I think this is a good place to ask, if you do the Killer is Dead 60fps fix, does it make the David QTE impossible? Because I definitely can't do it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Eh $15 sounds OK to me for it, but as long as its good and delivers =)
Sunless Sea isn't my kind of game, but I wish it the best, and hope fans of the genre will like it.

I'm not sure if I'll pick up when it releases since I spent a little too much on the summer sale, but hopefully it'll be great.

Okay, this looks adorable.

One of the reviews said something about a monster barfing rainbows, so I couldn't not put it on my wishlist.

I was really interested in this, but after seeing some gameplay videos, it seems less like Lovecraftian FTL and more like a visual novel. Will see how it works out, but no early access for me.

My frothing demand for this game increases.

FtHTiny

It´s not really necessary to play the first one for story or something. If you like 2 you will probably like 1 as well so you might want to pick it up. If you do you should mod it because it looks dated.

Mokoi

Banned
For a brief moment I though the Rad Bats thing might have been a slightly subtler reference, like one of the Batman games or something.

Lol you got bad rats now.

Already finished two of my sale purchases, in your face backlog!

Astebreed is legit.

Hell yeah it is. Everybody needs some Assstebreed in their life.

You wouldn't know it since most of us post on here virtually all day long but I imagine the majority of people post from work.

Correct, from work and school.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I would definitely say that Dark Souls 1 is worth playing. You don't necessarily have to put down DS2 to do it, but buy the first one and play it some time after you get done with 2.

Oh I definitely want to finish #2 first. I'm thinking I tried #1 years ago and was intimidated by the difficulty, now I have more practice though... so new chance.

Diedac

enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine -- MB-145C3C212A0D6CD1 - Taken by Myshkin. 4 entrants total.
Demolition Inc. -- MB-2967F07EC2E84B99

t1404259534z1.png

Hugstable

Banned
Yup. I've been playing LoL a lot and was complaining about 2 days ago how I always buy Blizz's stuff and am a loyal customer and never get into betas/alphas and just got in so it looks like I'm going into hermit mode for the rest of the summer haha

Nice! Enjoy it! I remember getting into the War 3: Frozen Throne Beta all those years ago, I almost didn't leave the PC for like 2 days ha. Great days back in High School when alot of my friends all used to play Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne LAN games.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You guys are finally noticing Freedom Planet? Kickstarted it a while ago, they have made a ton of awesome looking bosses, areas, and music from what I've seen from their updates.

072bc23fd3b445a5e31450361139ac72_large.png

92d65c95e4704ad975ca7bc6931c71af_large.png

ffe1976c56af09fbe22378dff732d5e6_large.png

9dc518fe256a2cdde394b6e177b2dde1_large.jpg
c13e3a68d99a7259a288476f6261f2d5_large.png

fa95078348ec74da2558b5a9cec2291c_large.png

64d68359d938cf3d087d1ec75bfe0e78_large.png
b7769d567b96dc3a3a9980ad8c3dabaa_large.png

ac89e64a3ed0713a8b4b550699a96521_large.jpg
721f816e03db3b419f506b73dc7ee16b_large.png

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also there's several horror games releasing and being released this month, so I'm happy. It seems to be a great month for Steam releases.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
You guys are finally noticing Freedom Planet? Kickstarted it a while ago, they have made a ton of awesome looking bosses, areas, and music from what I've seen from their updates.

Can't ... unsee .. Sonic.

Is that homage? or coincidental stuff.

Looks good either way.

jblank83

Visual novel is not very accurate. It does have battles, similar to FTL. The battles are not quite as complex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GmxO0smTVo#t=720

The book art is just visual flavor for the decision points, just like FTL's little encounter stories.

I'm not saying it's great, or even good. I'm just saying it's not a visual novel.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Lots of great screenshots

I've noticed it for a while :p

It's just the game's origins as a Sanic fan game were kind of off putting at first. But it looks too good for me to care about that.

Re: Assbreed, I still wish the Ys games went up for sale. There's no way XSEED/Falcom didn't specify sale discounts for Valve to put up. On the other hand, they had a publisher sale fairly recently, so maybe that's going to happen again.

I was really hoping to pick up Ys I & II, so it is a bit of a bummer. Damn you Alan Wake.

Tizoc

Also there's several horror games releasing and being released this month, so I'm happy. It seems to be a great month for Steam releases.

What do you think of Whispering Willows?
...and kudos for those images, I look forward to seeing them in game as I bet they'll look even better in motion.

Caerith

Less than 20 minutes left to enter for games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Saints Row 2!

Re: Assbreed, I still wish the Ys games went up for sale. There's no way XSEED/Falcom didn't specify sale discounts for Valve to put up. On the other hand, they had a publisher sale fairly recently, so maybe that's going to happen again.

I wish they changed community choice so that our choices mattered only to us. "Coming up: enjoy your sale on Ys games! Meanwhile, 51% of the community has another sale on Alan Wake."

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Just noticed Warface is on steam. Is it worth the 4GB download to give it a shot?

The 360 beta was crap. The only slightly fun part was knife-only matches, and that could be done on better games. The servers also disconnected you every 30 seconds, but that may be fixed.

All you wanted was a good night drinking.
Can't remember having a good night, and there are unwanted games in your Steam inventory.
Life just sucks sometimes - you, sir, have my sympathies.
Song lyrics? Thank me later, anyway. I got delayed a bit, but these aren't late giveaways by a good stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom