• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
man im loving Valiant Hearts, really cool take on a puzzle game, and it looks amazing (probably my favorite ubiart game).
the dog is going to die isnt he? :(

Knurek

Overall, I think Valve really needs to go back and rethink their approach to the Steam sales, Steam is a whole different beast compared to when they started this type of events, and the sales events haven't evolved to reflect this.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 - 2 weeks of Borderlands 3 being 33% off (DLC not discounted), no other offers.

Reminder for great justice:

So, after the steam sale, I'd like to thank you all steamGAF for your generosity with the giveaways. I managed to get some games and save some money so I decided I would give something sweet in return. Also, please read the block of text after the modbot quote:

If the winner of this giveaway is like me and also loves to collect physical retail games, I can also ship you the game, you just need to pay the shipping fees. I'm from Portugal and don't mind shipping overseas. If the winner doesn't want the physical edition as well, I will open the same question to the rest of the gaffers.
In that case, please take notice that the cdkey will not activate on steam (because I'm sure the winner of the modbot raffle will activate it), but the game remains to be fully playable outside steam.
If the winner doesn't want the physical disc, I would like to add it to my physical collection.

Because I don't know exactly who to give these to, they're going up here.

I would like to thank all the wonderful GAFfers who have gifted and given away games from the Steam sale recently. It's been a wild ride reading the sale threads, and I feel like there's so many more games going for cheap than I'll ever have time to play (or want to play). So I'm making sure these deals get out to someone.

Three-quarters of an hour left for juniors to enter for six cool games! And the regular-member giveaway's just gone below two hours!

Nice giveaway!

Toki767

I would like to thank all the wonderful GAFfers who have gifted and given away games from the Steam sale recently. It's been a wild ride reading the sale threads, and I feel like there's so many more games going for cheap than I'll ever have time to play (or want to play). So I'm making sure these deals get out to someone.

Three-quarters of an hour left for juniors to enter for six cool games! And the regular-member giveaway's just gone below two hours!

That's a nice set of games.

ViviOggi

I'm through 3 so far. Astebreed is probably the next game I'll play. How long is it?

It's super short if you only want to finish it once, first playthrough on Normal took me about 80 minutes, the second not more than 30. I'll definitely tackle Hard mode soon an maybe go for some highscores, although my friends list is sorely lacking in Astebreed owners.

Tizoc

So here are a bunch of games releasing this month that I am either interested in or would recommend others to give it a try
http://store.steampowered.com/app/288060/?snr=1_4_4__105_2
header_292x136.jpg

Description states it is a horror adventure game, but I think the horror elements come mainly from the atmosphere and setting. This one image can achieve a really scary vibe if the music is done right
ss_0f6eb06f4ba87703c9051bd4aa97bfff22498190.1920x1080.jpg

Take note of her facial reaction too, if faces aren't always static this would be a nice move for an indie game.

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250280/?snr=1_4_4__105_2

This looks like a flash game and may animate like one. I'd prob. get it for $5 but I like the main character and it might prove entertaining in short bursts.

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/246720/?snr=1_4_4__105_2
Neil Gaiman's game! Sadly there is barely any gameplay footage but...I mean its also from the guy behind PJ Winterbottom, so its bound to be a hilarious romp at least!

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/292400/?snr=1_4_4__105_4
A game set in India, I don't know much about it but the setting is interesting and if the price is right I'll grab it day 1.

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248310/
...and of course, Freedom Planet! 16-bit Genesis/MD era platformer with various ways to progress through the stages, if you're a fan of traditional 2D Platformers don't miss out on this!

My luck has been so terrible that I can't even win Bad Rats

You're willing to drop $30+ on an upcoming game that is months from release and gift it to others, but can't drop a couple of cents for Bad Rats?

yGray

Banned

Damn, The Banner Saga.

masterkajo

Pretty generous. Playing The Banner Saga right now. Great strategy game. Love the atmosphere and story.

Tizoc

Nice giveaways, I entered for Pacman =D

dani_dc

Rad Bats might be one of the better things to come out of this thread.
I agree with the whole community vote thing. Even if they didn't win they should have still had a chance since they were willing to discount their games in the first place. The fact that Borderlands 2 amd Alan Wake were up mulitple times should have given spots to games like Ikaruga, Half Minute Hero and others. I also said it yesterday, but I miss the steam summer sale themed achievements. Those not only got me to buy Indie games I normally wouldn't have bought, but it got me interested in them due to actually playing them. Like Dungeons of Dredmor and Binding of Issac

The first few community votes sales always had the community votes featured a daily or flash, I think part of the issue is that people have no idea what games will be featured later on or not, if people knew that the loser wouldn't be featured on, the game would still gain some amount of exposure and sales despite losing the votes,as it is people will just keep waiting for the deeper discount that will never come, and by the end of the sale they might very well have forgotten about the game.

Yeah, I miss the achievements myself, they were a great way to get people to buy and try games that they never did, to me personally they also served to give some games a second look at.
Though I ended up wasting too much time playing those games, so in that sense it's a positive thing for me.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 - 2 weeks of Borderlands 3 being 33% off (DLC not discounted), no other offers.

I'm sure CoD 2017 will be featured at 33-50% while CoD: Ghost will take a daily wtih a fair 75% discount.

Yeah, thanks.
Currently doing my Masters in Computer Science, with a focus on multimedia and games (had a game design & development class for the last two semester which I think was the most I ever enjoyed myself in any class), hoping to get the last few boring classes done next semester and then hopefully land a thesis on "serious games" (though I do hate that expression).
How about you?

Unfortunately there's really not much to do about migraines outside of waiting it out. They always tend to appear at inconvenient times too. Glad to hear you no longer have cancer though.

Well, I'm not too confident at being a pro at social skills, I'll be happy if I can reach with "decent" in that field.

I'm confident I will, I'm actually able to fully focus on game making for once, and the last few months of experience convinced me that I depend only of myself going forward, so hopefully I'll be able to share something on GAF (and the rest of the world) sooner rather than later.

Amzin

I'm not actually sure I've ever won a giveaway. I'm pretty limited in what I enter for though, usually only something I would install and play RIGHT NOW. Also I probably lurk too much :p

Pachimari

Do you guys know where I can get help to set up a surround view - seeing the game on all 3 monitors. I saw a demonstration of it here on Youtube but I just can't get it to work. Neither with Nvidia Surround or in Assetto Corsa.

:(

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So here are a bunch of games releasing this month that I am either interested in or would recommend others to give it a try
http://store.steampowered.com/app/288060/?snr=1_4_4__105_2
header_292x136.jpg

Description states it is a horror adventure game, but I think the horror elements come mainly from the atmosphere and setting. This one image can achieve a really scary vibe if the music is done right
ss_0f6eb06f4ba87703c9051bd4aa97bfff22498190.1920x1080.jpg

Take note of her facial reaction too, if faces aren't always static this would be a nice move for an indie game.
header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/292400/?snr=1_4_4__105_4
A game set in India, I don't know much about it but the setting is interesting and if the price is right I'll grab it day 1.

Whispering Willows looks so good.

Unrest is going to be $15, I think. It's also set in a fantasy version of India with nagas, apparently.

header_292x136.jpg

Sunless Sea looks really good too. It looks like a rogue-lite with a lot of promise.

nexen

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248310/
...and of course, Freedom Planet! 16-bit Genesis/MD era platformer with various ways to progress through the stages, if you're a fan of traditional 2D Platformers don't miss out on this!
Freedom Planet looks dope. I'm going to be waiting for that.

edit: so does Whispering willows.

Amzin

Actually I might have one of those lying around, that would be perfect. Never would have thought of it.

I actually originally got it for work to save some strain on my wrist, so I could game with my mouse at home without worrying so much about it, but then realized I could play stuff with it, too~

Awesome giveaway, thanks for your generosity (any everyone else who has been doing giveaways)! Good luck everyone

Tizoc

Whispering Willows looks so good.

Unrest is going to be $15, I think. It's also set in a fantasy version of India with nagas, apparently.

header_292x136.jpg

Sunless Sea looks really good too. It looks like a rogue-lite with a lot of promise.

Eh $15 sounds OK to me for it, but as long as its good and delivers =)
Sunless Sea isn't my kind of game, but I wish it the best, and hope fans of the genre will like it.

How do you people have so much money left over after the sale?

Russians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom