• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
HMj3MXF.jpg

Baby-monkey-wants-mom-hug.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh yeah Darkwood is finally coming out soon

Mono

It's about 12 levels which are all extremly simple lol
I think the trigger for the death count cheevos is bugged haha, got all three within 2mins now :,D Guess I'll make sure to keep this gem at 100% just for the sake of it!

I'd assume it'd be buggy if they're still adding achievements, haha! Is it any good?

JustLynx

Congrats to Pupo for winning Dead Island GOTY!
Congrats to JustLynx for winning The Lego Movie Videogame!
Congrats to Cozmogramma for winning Deus Ex: Human Revolution DR!
Congrats to Ozium for winning TimeShift!
Congrats to TsuXna for winning Saints Row 2!
Congrats to WavekSra for winning Awesomenauts!

Basically, congrats to all the juniors hanging around from the Summer Sale. This thread always welcomes new guys and girls.

woot i won! hehe :D
Thank you so much!

Vuze

I'd assume it'd be buggy if they're still adding achievements, haha! Is it any good?

I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy the 30mins I spent with it since it was free (from the Alienware thingy this afternoon). But it's totally not worth the 10€ that the devs want you to pay for on Steam in the current state.

Pssst.

Hey.

Uhm...

Just wanted to let you know.

Whatever you do today... just don't leave the STEAM thread.

Don't do it.

Don't even look at the list of threads.

It's bad out there on the internet today.

Instead, make some cocoa, play some Marlow Briggs, and say warm and safe here.

There be monsters.

Kaper

I take back what I said earlier, this thread moves way too fast compared to the June one. 30 pages in just less than 12 hours, sheesh.

If USA wins the World Cup I'll buy everyone here Dark Souls II.

For the first time ever, I am cheering for USA.

dani_dc

To counter you a little, I think this is a double-edged sword though. One, because all games have to compete for the admittedly small number of spots, that increases competition between the devs to lower their prices and gives us a better overall deal. Taken to an absurd extreme, if there were hundreds of sales slots, no one would have to discount their game too much because everyone would get a slot anyway. In a very real way, because of this, a spot on a Steam sale is more or less guaranteed to be a "good" deal because of this.

Second, I think Valve is acutely aware of all the criticism they are getting for allowing more and more games in. Imagine how much more criticism they would get if the "mainstream" gamers couldn't buy Borderlands 2 or whatever because they were focusing on so many indie games.

Third, I think there are a lot of different types of customers on Steam. Some, like me, have 500+ games and have picked up a whole lot of the games we already wanted and so want sales on more obscure titles, but for the vast majority of Steam's customers who don't have that many games, a sale on Borderlands or Alan Wake is a whole lot more likely to sell than Ikaruga (even though I too want Ikaruga a lot more than Alan Wake).

I personally just wish they would start to allow 3rd party stores sooner rather than later so that someone can start to serve the indie/smaller game market a little better.

One of the issues is that, despite there being more competition, most of it comes from smaller developers, bigger developers don't have to worry about not being featured, in fact I feel the bigger developers are less eager to give big discounts on their games compared to a few years ago. So while the smaller devs might be trying to compete in terms of pricing, due to most of them not being featured, the consumer doesn't see any of that potential competition

I don't think Valve needs to disregard bigger games to focus on smaller ones, there are other ways to give exposure to smaller titles, such as having "dailies" in specific genres besides the main dailies (wouldn't give as much exposure as being in the main page but it would be something) or limiting certain spots (such as flash & community) exclusively to smaller/older games while focusing on bigger and newer games on the dailies.

I'm not suggesting that they start overlooking the bigger titles, just that they should experiment with ways to give exposure to smaller titles as they did in the past.

I do agree that 3rd party stores with Steam as an API can't come soon enough, unfortunately, I'm not confident we'll see that happening anytime soon.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Zombie Tycoon 2 doesnt look like any sort of "Tycoon" im used to :(

Wow was it in the Steam Sale? :eek: Judging from the screenshot that's a perfect game for me and I would be curious to hear impressions too!

no, it came out today

Lomax

Pssst.

Hey.

Uhm...

Just wanted to let you know.

Whatever you do today... just don't leave the STEAM thread.

Don't do it.

Don't even look at the list of threads.

It's bad out there on the internet today.

Instead, make some cocoa, play some Marlow Briggs, and say warm and safe here.

There be monsters.

The playfire thread is safe for those considering actually playing their games. Otherwise I never venture out. Definitely monsters.

jblank83

I saw the battle parts too, didn't mean it's a visual novel, just more in that direction than in the tactical battle direction. The gameplay just seems shallow, but obviously this is just the beginning of the beta, I hope it'll end up awesome.

The battles are less tactical, yes. A lot of the gameplay seems to come from various quests in the world, which requires exploration, coupled to "survival" type gameplay (e.g. losing sailors, starving, buying fuel, repairing the ship, etc). The map isn't randomly generated, as FTL's is, I think. That's good and bad, as hand crafted content has more character, though less randomness and less replayability once fully explored.

We'll see how well it shakes out.

EDIT: Seems like there are randomly generated portions of the map.

zkylon

zkylewd
So here are a bunch of games releasing this month that I am either interested in or would recommend others to give it a try
http://store.steampowered.com/app/288060/?snr=1_4_4__105_2
header_292x136.jpg

Description states it is a horror adventure game, but I think the horror elements come mainly from the atmosphere and setting. This one image can achieve a really scary vibe if the music is done right
ss_0f6eb06f4ba87703c9051bd4aa97bfff22498190.1920x1080.jpg
first game reminds me i should actually give knock-knock a fair shot

that game was so fucking weird

Kickstarter project Wasteland 2 is releasing next month as well.

Is that really necessary? :) I would be ok with them polishing it for a further month or so extra.

I just beat the New Vegas DLC after owning them for years.
I just bought South Park: The Stick of Truth.
I also bought the Skyrim DLC packs.
I just now recently realized that Divinity: Original Sin looks really tempting.

:p

Dambrosi

Banned
Will those of us who got the Suguri Collection in the Groupees Build A Doujin Bundle 2 in October last year be getting Steam keys? Does anyone here know?

Mono

You have spoken nothing but praise since you got it. I am definitely keeping an eye on that one. Hopefully it keeps the momentum.

It's definitely a must-have if you're into retro Metroidvania type games or platformers in general! I'm impressed at how polished it is.

Have at it. Quite a fun little platformer.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

They Bleed Pixels -- MB-DB264D34214B3507 - Taken by The_Super_Inframan. 9 entrants total.

t1404251560z1.png

Purkake4

Banned
The battles are less tactical, yes. A lot of the gameplay seems to come from various quests in the world, which requires exploration, coupled to "survival" type gameplay (e.g. losing sailors, starving, buying fuel, repairing the ship, etc). The map isn't randomly generated, as FTL's is, I think. That's good and bad, as hand crafted content has more character, though less randomness and less replayability once fully explored.

We'll see how well it shakes out.
Yup, will certainly continue keeping an eye on this.

dani_dc

Will those of us who got the Suguri Collection in the Groupees Build A Doujin Bundle 2 in October last year be getting Steam keys? Does anyone here know?

Yeah, sounds like you'll get a key.
I should check if I bought that bundle.

It's definitely a must-have if you're into retro Metroidvania type games or platformers in general! I'm impressed at how polished it is.

I wouldn't really call it a Metroidvania, more of a mixture of Megaman and DuckTales.
But it is extremely polished and a really fun game, I honestly didn't expect it to be this good (wasn't a big fan of Shantae DS games, and the team being made of ex-members of Wayforward I was a bit doubtful about it).

Some people had insane expectations for the game though.

Toki767

The bosses in Shovel Night are really fun! I just beat the lanternfish (mini?) boss in the water level.

Finished the game last night. The final boss fight was cool. Favorite boss fight was probably Tinker Knight though they were all pretty memorable aside from King Knight I think. He just died too quick and it seemed way too easy to just recklessly attack against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom