• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
all this non-modbot generosity means I cant use mega givers for awhile, hmph

ALSO can I have 2 games running in steam achievement manager and I get cards for both at the same time?

Yes but there is a catch. It usually takes somewhere between 1-2 hours to get all the cards for a game. Start 2 games at once and it will take more than twice as long, 3 etc... Instead of a linear increase 1 takes 2hrs, 2 take 4 hours and on it's exponential, 1 takes 2, 2 takes 5 , 3 takes 10 etc...

Bry0

Hey guys, got a quick question for those of you doing the Mars Movie Night contest for those $6 cards.
After adding 3 or 4 of them, steam seems to be giving me an error when trying to add another. Does steam have some sort of limit on using pre-paid cards to add funds to steam wallet? I noticed the card giving me that error worked fine for adding battle.net funds.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
im surprised you even care about DLC since they split it from the game count

Well, I don't care about it as much as I do my game count (e.g. I'm not going to pre-order Call of Doggy at full price just to get +1 DLC).

UncleBiz

Hey guys, got a quick question for those of you doing the Mars Movie Night contest for those $6 cards.
After adding 3 or 4 of them, steam seems to be giving me an error when trying to add another. Does steam have some sort of limit on using pre-paid cards to add funds to steam wallet? I noticed the card giving me that error worked fine for adding battle.net funds.

Add it as a credit card in Paypal, it won't give you any issues. Steam doesn't like m&ms it seems

Yes but there is a catch. It usually takes somewhere between 1-2 hours to get all the cards for a game. Start 2 games at once and it will take more than twice as long, 3 etc... Instead of a linear increase 1 takes 2hrs, 2 take 4 hours and on it's exponential, 1 takes 2, 2 takes 5 , 3 takes 10 etc...

oh nah screw that. I'll just do it one at a time then.

Add it to your paypal, then add the $6.00 to your Steam Wallet through paypal

Bry0

Alright thanks for the answers guys! Appreciate it!
Gonna get that card on to pay off magic dotp 2015.

UncleBiz

Oh, like you mean to have the usual non-modbot giveaways count towards the Megagiver count?

I think he means just faking a giveaway by not actually posting it, and letting someone else you know redeem it. So you "give away" games but don't actually do give aways. But I don't think that will be an issue, lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Like, make a ModBot giveaway, but PM the person you're giving the game the code instead of posting the giveway in the thread.

so... just give people games directly? I already do that

I just like to use mega givers (well on big games at least) because even if people are mega givers just from giving bundle fodder, at least people gave something, its not a bunch of lurkers that arent a part of the community and just take a peak now and then looking for free games

but with Mokoi, NBNT, Speevs and now Shadowbeast doing their sniping, I cant use it or it would exclude then, and I dont want to exclude them obviously, they are the type of people who WOULD be a mega giver (or are, but not for modbot)

edit: also you seem to think I mean I cant enter giveaways with megagiver, I mean I cant use the mega giver rule on my giveaways.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Oh, like you mean to have the usual non-modbot giveaways count towards the Megagiver count?

Yeah, but I don't know if ModBot has something to prevent people from doing that, since two people making fake giveaways to send each other could probably be abused.

I just like to use mega givers (well on big games at least) because even if people are mega givers just from giving bundle fodder, at least people gave something, its not a bunch of lurkers that arent a part of the community and just take a peak now and then looking for free games

but with Mokoi, NBNT, Speevs and now Shadowbeast doing their sniping, I cant use it or it would exclude then, and I dont want to exclude them obviously, they are the type of people who WOULD be a mega giver (or are, but not for modbot)

Ah, I think I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you meant that if you kept giving away games directly instead of using ModBot, you would eventually be excluded from Mega Giver giveaways.

I think he means just faking a giveaway by not actually posting it, and letting someone else you know redeem it. So you "give away" games but don't actually do give aways. But I don't think that will be an issue, lol
Yeah, that's what I meant. You just explained it way better. :lol

Seems overly complicated to do. And kinda defeats the purpose of gifting someone something, imo.

What if there was some kind of whitelist for giveaways? Like, "Megagivers, and then these people that I've whitelisted too"

So if you are trying to target these four individuals exclusively, Modbot wouldn't be the best option anyway. You could do a random number generator and get the same results Modbot would give you with a little more effort.

iosefe

Gone Home done. honestly went i with no idea what it was about.

The opening is what made me have a bit of fear, because it's a dark and stormy night in a house that is mysteriously empty. kinda understandable.

it was not what i expected at all.

Most people who give bundlegames in this thread are normally regulars in the Steam-Threads. Though during the Salethread a lot of non-regulars gave away a lot of bundlegames and are considered megagivers now.

I gave away a lot of bundlegames and maybe could be a megagiver (?) but wouldnt consider myself as one, since I just give away trash from bundles ;)

Rhaknar

So if you are trying to target these four individuals exclusively, Modbot wouldn't be the best option anyway. You could do a random number generator and get the same results Modbot would give you with a little more effort.

im not trying to target anyone... oi, new people,stop telling me how to giveaway, I think I know how to giveaway ^_^

I just dont want to exclude anyone is all, which again, I would if I used the rule.

Most people who give bundlegames in this thread are normally regulars in the Steam-Threads. Though during the Salethread a lot of non-regulars gave away a lot of bundlegames and are considered megagivers now.

I gave away a lot of bundlegames and maybe could be a megagiver (?) but wouldnt consider myself as one, since I just give away trash from bundles ;)

one man's trash is another man's treasure

Red Comet

The opening is what made me have a bit of fear, because it's a dark and stormy night in a house that is mysteriously empty. kinda understandable.

I'm planning on knocking that out this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Hugstable

Banned
so I'm here just farming some steam cards using that neat program you guys provided earlier while playing all stars with the bros online and I come to check up on how the farming is going and I see I got a gift...
My main man Jason <3 totally random and unexpected, especially since he previously gave me $10 when I helped him out with buying cards. I got you bro, just wait till I get some cash <3 anyone who has broforce and wants to play tomorrow add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/thedollars (or just post/pm your steam ID and I'll add you :p)

ALSO can I have 2 games running in steam achievement manager and I get cards for both at the same time?

Yay I'll add you, I should be down to play anytime tomorrow except early morning since I gut class. The few minutes I have played was fun so far, especially the action movie references.

UncleBiz

I was pretty sure there was gonna be
some paranormal stuff after finding the ghost hunting thing.. and there are definitely creepy parts like the basement and the creepy uncle stuff
. But I enjoyed it

Jadax

I didn't like it very much.

im not trying to target anyone... oi, new people,stop telling me how to giveaway, I think I know how to giveaway ^_^

I just dont want to exclude anyone is all, which again, I would if I used the rule.

You're right, I apologize. Your post simply gave the impression that you were looking for a solution, and people attempted to help. No harm done.

Mono

<33

I agree. I'm a fan of TCR anyways and know they can do some really good jump stuff after Korsakovia (which were few and far between) but the story is where it's at. Shame that the preconceived notion of an "Amnesia" title requires it to only play out a specific way. In many ways I prefer it to the original.

It's weird: The Dark Descent got crazy famous because of YouTube, and then a lot of YouTubers got famous off of Dark Descent once playthroughs of it went viral. Now the YouTubers want and expect a similar or more jump-scary game that will make their reactions worth watching, so that they can get even more famous. :O

It's weird: The Dark Descent got crazy famous because of YouTube, and then a lot of YouTubers got famous off of Dark Descent once playthroughs of it went viral. Now the YouTubers want and expect a similar or more jump-scary game that will make their reactions worth watching, so that they can get even more famous. :O
Too bad most of those kids aren't old enough to know about (or care) about older stuff like Silent Hill or the older Resident Evils. Those kinda fit the bill, but I guess those require thinking.

Toki767

Another day, another M&Ms money.

jKSM7WLR0408.PNG

Mono

Every step of that game leads you to think it's a horror game with ghosts and/or someone dead in the attic. Kind of a weird direction to take, but I really liked it regardless.

iosefe

Every step of that game leads you to think it's a horror game with ghosts and/or someone dead in the attic. Kind of a weird direction to take, but I really liked it regardless.

plus the
pentagram under the stairs. i expected to go into the attic and see Sam and Lonnie on a rope.
Just saw my PM's. Thanks En Ex for Gone Home.
dont' click any of the spoilers, please

plus the
pentagram under the stairs. i expected to go into the attic and see Sam and Lonnie on a rope.

Gone Home Spoiler:

They kind of tried to pull that when you go into the bathroom and the tub is covered in red, kind of looking like blood (or at least I thought it did). But then you hear the journal entry about the hair dye and everything is alright again.

Mono

Too bad most of those kids aren't old enough to know about (or care) about older stuff like Silent Hill or the older Resident Evils. Those kinda fit the bill, but I guess those require thinking.

Definitely! Older REs and Silent Hill 1 & 2 show that excellent horror games can be created with little graphical capabilities, and a lot of horror games in recent years reply rolely on image and sound. Hell, there's absolutely terrifying text adventures out there from decades ago.

Not to say that The Dark Descent isn't terrifying, because eep!

Rhaknar

You're right, I apologize. Your post simply gave the impression that you were looking for a solution, and people attempted to help. No harm done.

it was just a realization, nothing more :)

the value or lack-of of the mega giver rule has been discussed, and while far from ideal, I do still think it has a use. Its the difference between 200 entries to a game as opposed to like 70-90 with the rule... and im pretty sure we dont have 200 people on SteamGaf regulary being a part of the community, who are the people I want to target, not some random gaffer that doesnt give 2 shits about any of us except to pop in and see if theres a giveaway.

Scythian

I really should play Gone Home soon, I'm tired of running away from spoilers just to read by accident another tidbit of information like
She's a lesbian? Ghost Hunting?
. Will pick it up when it's cheap enough. I hope knowing these things doesn't hamper my experience.

jediyoshi

Gabe loves me, you guys. He told me himself

wCxg1ZJ.jpg

7PbnywH.jpg

Now if only no more ever drop and it turns out the skin was a copyright violation

UncleBiz

I really should play Gone Home soon, I'm tired of running away from spoilers just to read by accident another tidbit of information like
She's a lesbian? Ghost Hunting?
. Will pick it up when it's cheap enough. I hope knowing these things doesn't hamper my experience.
It won't. What makes the game fun is piecing the story together

Shadownet

Banned

edit: also you seem to think I mean I cant enter giveaways with megagiver, I mean I cant use the mega giver rule on my giveaways.

Did I get a name upgrade? or is this a different user? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom