• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mono

I really should play Gone Home soon, I'm tired of running away from spoilers just to read by accident another tidbit of information like
She's a lesbian? Ghost Hunting?
. Will pick it up when it's cheap enough. I hope knowing these things doesn't hamper my experience.

It's basically a 90's household nostalgia simulator with a
sweet
story attached. I reccomend it!

Speevy

Banned
Modbot is or is approaching a perfectly designed program.

It has given hundreds of users who have might not have otherwise given a way to put their games out there. It even has safeguards in place to make sure a variety of different winners are chosen.

The only way it falls short, which is no fault of its creator, is that it doesn't really bring users together.

Even the givers who post their stuff right in big letters with shiny banners blend into the background because it's just a mad dash for that PM button.

It takes what could be a social experience and turns it into a rat race.

So that's why I prefer good old fashioned Steam gifting. I want to know that the person I'm giving to actually wants my game.

This might sound a little devious, but I really want to guilt people into playing more of their Steam games.

Send someone a game, ask them to tell you what they thought of it, and it spreads the community.

We can say thank you, thank you, thank you all day long but the real thanks is when people feel a moral obligation to spread this hobby of ours.

Giving highlights the underappreciated developer, enlightens the inexperienced gamer, and creates lasting friendships.

Gabe loves me, you guys. He told me himself

wCxg1ZJ.jpg

7PbnywH.jpg

Now if only no more ever drop and it turns out the skin was a copyright violation

Sell it while it's hot. Amazing luck dude.

UncleBiz

i wont do it tonight, but is there a way to open
the safe in the basement and the top drawer in the study file cabinet?

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure anything locked can be opened. Lots of hidden notes and keys if you want to really find everything

Toki767

It has given hundreds of users who have might not have otherwise given a way to put their games out there. It even has safeguards in place to make sure a variety of different winners are chosen.

The only way it falls short, which is no fault of its creator, is that it doesn't really bring users together.

Even the givers who post their stuff right in big letters with shiny banners blend into the background because it's just a mad dash for that PM button.

So that's why I prefer good old fashioned Steam gifting. I want to know that the person I'm giving to actually wants my game.

This might sound a little devious, but I really want to guilt people into playing more of their Steam games.

Send someone a game, ask them to tell you what they thought of it, and it spreads the community.

We can say thank you, thank you, thank you all day long but the real thanks is when people feel a moral obligation to spread this hobby of ours.

Giving highlights the underappreciated developer, enlightens the inexperienced gamer, and creates lasting friendships.

Admittedly I feel way more inclined to play a game when someone gifts me something personally rather than if I win it from ModBot unless it's a game I badly want to play. ModBot is great for contests or if you have a bunch of keys that you want to get rid of, but it is definitely not as personal as picking someone and gifting them something.

Shadownet

Banned
honestly there should be an option on Steam that let you gift away game in your library. Like I probably will never touch Rogue Legacy again and I would love to give it to someone else.

They can just revoke my right to play RL after I've given it away.

it was just a realization, nothing more :)

the value or lack-of of the mega giver rule has been discussed, and while far from ideal, I do still think it has a use. Its the difference between 200 entries to a game as opposed to like 70-90 with the rule... and im pretty sure we dont have 200 people on SteamGaf regulary being a part of the community, who are the people I want to target, not some random gaffer that doesnt give 2 shits about any of us except to pop in and see if theres a giveaway.

I definitely understand. I'm one of the people who dropped a bunch of extra bundle items in the sale thread. I didn't even know about mega givers, I just figured I had all these keys lying around that aren't being used, hopefully someone can get some use out of them.

Some of the people have been giving away some really awesome things though. And I think that's great that people with the means to give so willingly is great. I know I got a couple items from giveaways and I had a couple items on my wishlist gifted to me, and even though some people might look at how much the game was selling for at the time and might have hoped for something higher dollar, I just thought it was cool that someone opened up my Wishlist and said "Hey, I saw you were looking at this title, here you go!"

I've totally been a lurker in GAF since I joined last August (never in the Steam thread, mostly the news threads), but this SteamGAF stuff actually got me posting, chatting, friending people on Steam. It's been great. I'm glad I stumbled into the sale thread pretty much on accident. I hope to be around for awhile.

That's the most beautiful thing I've ever read.

Mono

...Bad Rat race

Personally, I think it feels a lot better to gift someone a game directly on Steam. You know they want it if you pulled it from their wishlist and it's a lot more personal! With ModBot giveaways, you just see that thank you message in the thread and never hear about it again.

And like you said, it really motivates the giftee to play the game. If you gift them a game you both love, bonus +friendship and something to talk about as well!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
i wont do it tonight, but is there a way to open
the safe in the basement and the top drawer in the study file cabinet?

there is a clue
in that room

Definitely! Older REs and Silent Hill 1 & 2 show that excellent horror games can be created with little graphical capabilities, and a lot of horror games in recent years reply rolely on image and sound. Hell, there's absolutely terrifying text adventures out there from decades ago.

Not to say that The Dark Descent isn't terrifying, because eep!

The games to which I hold all horror titles up to that aren't straight up slashy gore crap, and I don't think I'll ever see another game as perfect as those two (plus 3).

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I blew all the M&Ms money on Wolfenstein. Did I do well?

The Jerrys may not like it, but I salute you.

i'm unsure if i should put mine into steam for Winter or amazon

For the most part Amazon price matched a fair number of Steam discounts during the Summer Sale, and last Winter they actually more than a number of even better deals.

On the other hand, they also recently had it in their mind to make "bundles" that cost more than buying the games individually, or strangely not offering certain titles until after the Steam Sales were over with.

On a another, strange-that-you-have-an-extra-limb hand, a number of people were locked out of adding funds and market place for a time due to trying to add these pre-paid cards.

On the nose again Speevy.

_hekk05

Banned
I must have missed like 5 transistor giveaways while I was asleep. am cry

I also entered for that rad bats thing. If only it was real.

Also my battleblock cheevos were tracked in playfire. The service isn't that bad if you're lucky

rrs

I liked Gone Home too, it's a neat little game. I wish it had more things to read and get all 90's about but it's fine.

Toki767

My
life
goal is now to accumulate enough M&M's money to buy The Witcher 3.

I want to believe.

I just realized I can already do that lol.

I really don't know what I'm saving up for though. If Amazon allowed you to convert gift card money to like PayPal or Steam in a 1:1 conversion I'd be happy though. As of now I'll probably just use it on PSN credit or something.

Mono

WOW

My last post seriously startled me because my username is now Mono!

Thank you, admins, wherever you are!

IPPpIti.gif

Mono is my normal screen name, but someone snagged it on GAF in 2005 and then never posted again.

I really don't know what I'm saving up for though. If Amazon allowed you to convert gift card money to like PayPal or Steam in a 1:1 conversion I'd be happy though. As of now I'll probably just use it on PSN credit or something.

I probably might be able to save up for TW3 with how long this contest goes on for, but I've been doing the same thing as you. So many sales everywhere!

Hugstable

Banned
My
life
goal is now to accumulate enough M&M's money to buy The Witcher 3.

I want to believe.

You should be able to do it if you keep playing everyday unless they stop it early for reasons. I think it's supposed to go to next month or so.

Scythian

honestly there should be an option on Steam that let you gift away game in your library. Like I probably will never touch Rogue Legacy again and I would love to give it to someone else.

They can just revoke my right to play RL after I've given it away.

Given the online nature of Steam I'm surprised this hasn't been implemented or tested yet. Though it probably has some negative ramifications that I haven't thought of...

I'm also jealous of that sweet looking M&M's money ;__; non-US am cry.

squidyj

Gone Home done. honestly went i with no idea what it was about.

The opening is what made me have a bit of fear, because it's a dark and stormy night in a house that is mysteriously empty. kinda understandable.

it was not what i expected at all.

I went in knowing way too much, I wish I hadn't watched so much before playing.

damn it..i'm kinda new to CS:GO and stuff..especialy the weapon drops and box item ;_;

the new OPERATION "" "" thing..do i have to like buy it to access the exclusive missions? do i need to buy the box AND the key ? ;_;

damn it..in dota you just need the chest..not the key anymore

WOW

IPPpIti.gif

Mono is my normal screen name, but someone snagged it on GAF in 2005 and then never posted again.

Guess I can take the nickname off your Steam ID now. :)

iosefe

you should do a give away of the Red Faction Collection. >_>

huzzah!

*EDIT* New page? go buy LuftRausers

WOW

IPPpIti.gif

I probably might be able to save up for TW3 with how long this contest goes on for, but I've been doing the same thing as you. So many sales everywhere!
Like I said before, I was seriously confused when you sent me that friend request. "This Mono guy that only made two posts in 2005? Wat" Congrats!

Mono

I just think of you as Sakamoto anyways.

I'm glad someone does around here.

Guess I can take the nickname off your Steam ID now. :)

Hurray, no more confusion! \o/
Or maybe I'll cause even more confusion now?

Like I said before, I was seriously confused when you sent me that friend request. "This Mono guy that only made two posts in 2005? Wat" Congrats!

Lol! The dopplegaffer is no more!

I'm glad someone does around here.

Hurray, no more confusion! \o/
Or maybe I'll cause even more confusion now?

Lol! The dopplegaffer is no more!

Now wait for someone who remembers the old Mono to message you and ask where you've been for so long.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hey if modbot is so impersonal, then the next time Dark Souls 2 shows up, dont enter for it

oh thats right, yes you will, because its Dark Souls 2 (or Witcher 3, or whatever)

And direct gifting is awesome, I should know, ive done it and been on the receiving end of it many times (especially this past sale, good lord), but then you get the 5 people that got your direct gift all happy posting their pictures, and a bunch of other people going "welp, guess Im not special enough, or I didnt say that user was the best ever enough times", and a bunch others going "X Giver please add me" or "Man, I sure hope I bought that game last sale wink wink".

You cant please everyone (here's the dirty little secret... are you ready? none of us "big givers" are actually rich), and while its awesome for the lucky few that get the direct gifts, kinda sucks for the people that had no chance (you know, the chance that modbot gives, even if slim)

in the end I think theres room for both, just dont act all high and mighty about whichever you use. Giving the SteamGAF community free games, isnt that what actually matters?

edit: also I take offense to that remark about "flashy banners in their giveaways", my giveaways look fucking awesome >_>

Toki767

WOW

IPPpIti.gif

I should probably change mine to resemble my name everywhere else too but I feel like it would confuse people again.

Garcia

You know, it's not that Dungeon Hearts is a bad game... I was just expecting so much more variety for a connect-3 + RPG blend.

I'm just not feeling it at all. :-/

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
damn it..i'm kinda new to CS:GO and stuff..especialy the weapon drops and box item ;_;

the new OPERATION "" "" thing..do i have to like buy it to access the exclusive missions? do i need to buy the box AND the key ? ;_;

damn it..in dota you just need the chest..not the key anymore

The operations allow you to play the maps via Matchmaking, you can load them in community hosted servers without the operation ticket. You will also need it to use the missions as well. Boxes will drop just like in Dota2 though they tend to have different types of keys depending on the type of box.

-MD-

hey if modbot is so impersonal, then the next time Dark Souls 2 shows up, dont enter for it

oh thats right, yes you will, because its Dark Souls 2 (or Witcher 3, or whatever)

And direct gifting is awesome, I should know, ive done it and been on the receiving end of it many times (especially this past sale, good lord), but then you get the 5 people that got your direct gift all happy posting their pictures, and a bunch of other people going "welp, guess Im not special enough, or I didnt say that user was the best ever enough times", and a bunch others going "X Giver please add me" or "Man, I sure hope I bought that game last sale wink wink".

You cant please everyone (here's the dirty little secret... are you ready? none of us "big givers" are actually rich), and while its awesome for the lucky few that get the direct gifts, kinda sucks for the people that had no chance (you know, the chance that modbot gives, even if slim)

in the end I think theres room for both, just dont act all high and mighty about whichever you use. Giving the SteamGAF community free games, isnt that what actually matters?

edit: also I take offense to that remark about "flashy banners in their giveaways", my giveaways look fucking awesome >_>

post-33537-Jim-Carrey-Truman-Show-gif-wha-cIrC.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I should probably change mine to resemble my name everywhere else too but I feel like it would confuse people again.

as long as Toki is in it :p

numbers in usernames is evil... thats right Pork, Im talking about you

Oh goodness. I feel like there would be a fight to the death involved!

"Mono, I haven't heard from you in awhile. Did you simply think you could disappear? I knew you'd surface again. You probably forgot about me, why I've been waiting for so long. Well when I'm through with you... Well... You won't forget this time, I promise."

You never know, those posts in 2005 or whenever it was might have had a big impact on someone.

Mono

You know, it's not that Dungeon Hearts is a bad game... I was just expecting so much more variety for a connect-3 + RPG blend.

The trailer looks really promising, but the reviews say otherwise. It's a shame because the game looks good.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

I'm actually looking at the store page for it now. What exactly is the problem with it?

Tellaerin

Maybe I shouldn't've tried to marathon the New Vegas DLC's. :s I've been running all over the place in Old World Blues collecting stuff, and fatigue's starting to set in. Don't want to take a break from it to play something else, though, or there's no telling when I'll end up getting back into it again. Guess there's nothing to do but soldier on. Forward!

whast wrong with 01110000 01101111 01110010 01101011?

I just got done killing a robot with a very similar name in OWB... >.>

It isnt a bad game. I had fun with it till I died at the boss, but it doesnt have much replayability. I liked what I played but I would like it to be a bit more complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom