• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Children of Liberty for $1 @ https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

header_292x136.jpg

Comes with a Steam key (Early Access and according the the description it really is early, not much there yet).

zeroOman

Bulllllshit. You don't get a 7 day ban accidently. It goes 1hr, 3hrs, 24hrs, 72hrs, 7days and30days

I get 1h and 24h cuz of disconnected not because I voted teammate !!!! and I live in EG which here the elect goes out 3 time a day.... so do the math

Diedac

enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FLY'N -- MB-A997CF729C598C9B - Taken by _hekk05
They Breathe -- MB-1233CEAD0BEA235E - Taken by Deques

Milamber

I get 1h and 24h cuz of disconnected not because I voted teammate !!!! and I live in EG which here the elect goes out 3 time a day.... so do the math

If you get frequent disconnects, then online competitive gaming is not for you. May I suggest you invest in a backup battery / UPS?

Tizoc

Last chance!
ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Derrick the Deathfin -- MB-ACB20D96F7819AB4 - Taken by Vuze. 27 entrants total.
The Blackwell Bundle -- MB-CA86FBF2B9139B66 - Taken by ReduxMachine. 17 entrants total.
Ikaruga -- MB-5BC89A507291104A - Taken by Oreoleo. 133 entrants total.
Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death -- MB-28FE26BC2624B167 - Taken by thebloo. 17 entrants total.
SpaceChem -- MB-115CAEDCD6D6E62C - Taken by Leg-End. 1 entrants total.
They breathe -- MB-B0814770B64FD5E5 - Taken by wetflame. 4 entrants total.

t1404303406z1.png

Uguu, fuck the Dark series so much !

I know I could take flake for that so let me explain. Before plunging in Original Sin I decided it was ample time I finished Dark Souls 1. A game I am at the end of and hadn't played for some weeks. And the same thing happened with Demon's Souls. And I love these two games. So what ?
Well, I think that the series walks a fine line between unforgiving but fair and bullshit, and 99% of the time it wonderfully keeps on the good side. But everyone is different and has its personal threshold, and for me each end game is so much bullshit.
I killed the fucking knight (let's not spoil). The fight was really difficult and asked of the player to perfectly know the move set of the guy. Ok.
And now I'm banging my head at the wall that is the boss of the abyss / Oolacile. Fuck this so much. I even tried solo-coop for the first time but that don't do me much good except a much needed breathing space.
So I will have to try this fight a dozen time before knowing each fucking move of the enemy. And then there will be a flying calamity (see what I did there) and the proper game boss.
So much banging at a concrete wall.

I truly love the series, but when it crosses my personal line it becomes an exercise in pure frustration. I guess I have the option to cheat my way through this boss but he is no Old King Allant with its bullshit level drain, I'm not really ready to cheese him.

I'm kind of confused by some of your descriptions so I'm just going to spoiler tag everything:

Ok, so, my understanding is that you're fighting Manus, Father of the Abyss, and you are presently stuck. I, personally, cannot really share you're frustration with this boss or agree with feeling it's 'an excercise in pure frustration' as he's quite slow, most of his attacks are heavily telegraphed to the player, and he recovers very slowly. I do certainly agree that he has a very large health bar, his attacks are highly damaging, and his attack pattern is somewhat chaotic in how unpredictable it can be. However, given that you do feel he is difficult, there are some areas which you can improve upon to try and defeat him. The first, and most obvious way which you may be doing, is by abandoning the shield you're using, equiping the Grass Crest Shield, two-handing your weapon, and avoiding the slower weapons. Manus' combo move (I assume you know the one) is devastating and will quickly drain your endurance bar, should you block, and your life bar. You'll want to remain as mobile as possible so that when he's going to use this you an either quickly retreat outside of the range, or roll through the attacks. You absolutely do not want to be caught in any attack, and heavier weapons which take ages to swing are a sure-fire way to be trapped inside his most damaging range when he begins his assault. With a lighter, faster weapon, at least you can attack once or twice, retread to safety by rolling or running, and then continue your assault. There will likely be a damage penalty in choosing a lighter weapon if you've been upgrading a heavier one, but it is an absolutely fair trade off if it improves your mobility enough to avoid his barrage.

The second potential aid is an item, which you may have missed. Manus, as you've probably noticed, has some killer Black Pyromancy (I don't know if it's 'black pyromancy' or 'dark pyromancy' so I'm making an assumption based upon the 'black flame'). While this can be dodged/avoided, it can be kind of tricky. If this is posing a problem for you, there is an item, somewhere in Oolacile, that can help you repel these damaging spells. I'm not going to tell you what it's called, or where to find it specifically, but explore Oolacile further if you've not yet acquired it and it is the pyromancy that's causing you the greatest trouble. This is not necessary to defeat Manus at all, but it could offer some additional assistance if you find avoiding it too difficult.

You can also find an aide in the heart of the abyss with some thorough searching and the removing of an illusory wall hidden there. A very valuable item can be found, and becoming human while fighting Manus after acquiring it could be an ideal way for an additional buffer.

My primary confusion lies in the 'flying calamity'. I assume you're referring to Kalameet? If this is the case, this boss is optional, despite being my favourite 'larger boss battle' in the series, so if it would frustrate you too much you wouldn't be forced to defeat it.
I hope some of this may assist you, even though I would not particularly agree with the assessment (despite concurring that they're challenging).

Ultimately, I think I very much disagree with you in terms of what I find fair, and what you seem to find fair (both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls).
Artorias, Kalameet, Manus, and False King Allant were some of the fairest bosses in the series, while also some of the most enjoyable. There moves were telegraphed well, and despite being very challenging (Artorias and Kalameet in particular) did not seem to impose unfair requirements upon the player, particularly in comparison to areas such as Lost Izalith and its boss, Tomb of the Giants (an interesting take admittedly, but straying slightly towards the 'unfair' category), Crystal Caverns' invisible walkways, and the mandatory death in the Duke's Archive (complete nonsense).

EDIT: I should probably clarify that I agree that the later areas in Dark Souls (not really with Demon's Souls) border quite a bit into 'bullshit' territory, but not for the reasons you've implied (the bosses primarily).

Tektonic

I am giving away 6 keys. Longer raffle time now! To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tektonic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-71AAEEB54E155C1C - Taken by danhese007
vRvbDCu.png
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-97A583BBC9E7A8E3 - Taken by MMBosstones86
vRvbDCu.png
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising (Origin) -- MB-0C769FA2671CA153 - Taken by Chariot
vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Edge (Origin) -- MB-41B3D17FF45FA186
vRvbDCu.png
Battlefield 3 (Origin) -- MB-9B653B84A9EEA90D - Taken by Arren
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-9B653B84A9EEA90D - Taken by Arren

t1404312331z1.png

Was this already posted?

New groupees Sometimes Tuesday Bundle

1$ Tier
Revenge of the Titans
White Noise Online
Shiny the Firefly

2$ Tier
Nicolas Eymerich - the Inquisitor - Book 1: The Plague
Night Shift
Blackstar Act One (ebook)

Edit:
As well as
New Bundlebandits bundle (don't know the site, are they legit?)

For at least 2$:
Grimind (Steam)
Sweet Lily Dreams (Steam)
Aztaka (Steam)
Naval Warfare (Steam)
Legionwood 2 (Platform: Developer's website)
The Lost Island (Desura)
Nexus Sea (Desura)
Onager (Desura)

bundlestars is legit just they dont get posted as often since most of their bundles aren't as good as say humble bundle

MadGear

TY for Darksiders! Been meaning to try out the first one.

If you are somewhat familiar with these types of games or if you have played Darksiders 2 before then do yourself a favor an play this game on Apocalyptic. I personally found the game to be a bit too easy on Normal and even on Apocalyptic it wasn't really that hard but fair, with the exception of 2 encounters in the game. Other than that its a really great game :)

If you are somewhat familiar with these types of games or if you have played Darksiders 2 before then do yourself a favor an play this game on Apocalyptic. I personally found the game to be a bit too easy on Normal and even on Apocalyptic it wasn't really that hard but fair, with the exception of 2 encounters in the game. Other than that its a really great game :)

I'll keep that in mind. I admit that I haven't gotten into the THQ games as much as I should have, but that will change.

Bundlestars and Bundlebandits are two different bundle sites. Bundlestars is legit. Bundlebandits is fairly new to this bundle business

oh oops my bad i just noticed that

could have sworn it says bundlestars

guess that's what happens when you wake up and check the boards at 4am haha

Autofokus

After playing Quake and whatnot shooters for years without any problem, I get f* motion sickness from The Stanley Parable.

Unbelieveable.

_hekk05

Banned
Thanks diedac for Fly'N

Also dammmiiiiitttttt. Just died at olmec just because i didn't press jump for jetpack in time and olmec crushed me while I was stunned. Again. This is the second time I've died in this way already.

Tektonic

Just found some unclaimed Humble Bundle purchases... Have them!

I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Payday 2 DLC -- MB-0EE7C01B7419AC8B - Taken by Eanan. 10 entrants total.
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-1083B2867A28E3FA - Taken by Uni on Everything!. 1 entrants total.
Risen -- MB-FC900DAE1113218F - Taken by billmcdougal. 4 entrants total.
Anomaly 2 -- MB-6C95FC1A0113BC90 - Taken by Accoun. 5 entrants total.
Galaxy on Fire 2 (Full HD) -- MB-AB6C46C8D5AB928D - Taken by WinterDemons. 5 entrants total.
Sid Meiers Civilization 3 (Complete) -- MB-871FB52EAFD35B63 - Taken by Bel_Air_Jeff. 3 entrants total.
Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-B63B8255B26543D4
Total War: Rome 2 DLC -- MB-1DEF99B3D8DFC33F

t1404313307z1.png

Indignate

EDIT: I should probably clarify that I agree that the later areas in Dark Souls (not really with Demon's Souls) border quite a bit into 'bullshit' territory, but not for the reasons you've implied (the bosses primarily).

I just want to say fuck the The Bed of Chaos. The boss, for me, is the only bullshit thing in Dark Souls.

Arthea

I blacklisted bundlebandits personally, when it became clear as a day, that they not gonna hand greenlit and released game keys. (I bought couple of bundles from them for 1 greenlight game). At that moment they had no explanation that this will be their policy, the site was new at that time.
About their legitimacy, I'm still not sure 100% yet.

Tektonic

I blacklisted bundlebandits personally, when it became clear as a day, that they not gonna hand greenlit and released game keys. (I bought couple of bundles from them for 1 greenlight game). At that moment they had no explanation that this will be their policy, the site was new at that time.

thanks for your input. i think it's safer to stick to the established bundles.. (humble/indiegala/bundlestars (although mostly trash)/blinkbundles)

Fuck me this is too hard, i really shoulda kept a notebook of my trades somewhere. I am trying to tabulate my trades from 9 pages of steam inventory history (including paypal bought keys), gift history, and trade offer history. Yeah I'm on the second page and i am already lost >.>.

Steam really does a shit job with history. Every other digital retailer I've used allows me to see a detailed order history view. Steam gives me Purchase or Gift and that's about it.

Uguu, fuck the Dark series so much !

I know I could take flake for that so let me explain. Before plunging in Original Sin I decided it was ample time I finished Dark Souls 1. A game I am at the end of and hadn't played for some weeks. And the same thing happened with Demon's Souls. And I love these two games. So what ?
Well, I think that the series walks a fine line between unforgiving but fair and bullshit, and 99% of the time it wonderfully keeps on the good side. But everyone is different and has its personal threshold, and for me each end game is so much bullshit.
I killed the fucking knight (let's not spoil). The fight was really difficult and asked of the player to perfectly know the move set of the guy. Ok.
And now I'm banging my head at the wall that is the boss of the abyss / Oolacile. Fuck this so much. I even tried solo-coop for the first time but that don't do me much good except a much needed breathing space.
So I will have to try this fight a dozen time before knowing each fucking move of the enemy. And then there will be a flying calamity (see what I did there) and the proper game boss.
So much banging at a concrete wall.

I truly love the series, but when it crosses my personal line it becomes an exercise in pure frustration. I guess I have the option to cheat my way through this boss but he is no Old King Allant with its bullshit level drain, I'm not really ready to cheese him.

So the series is bullshit because you can't adapt?

Yakkue

Good to know, I'll steer clear and won't post about them anymore then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom