• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
can we all greenlight this game? i mean, there is every other simulator out there... why not this one?

Greenlight is being abolished in the (relatively) near future in favour of an autonomous self-publishing system not unlike Google Play. At this point worrying about Greenlight is... pointless.

Tektonic

Greenlight is being abolished in the (relatively) near future in favour of an autonomous self-publishing system not unlike Google Play. At this point worrying about Greenlight is... pointless.

i take it you're not interested in "Grass Simulator 2014" ;)

hohoXD123

Standard birthday giveaway:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Can't Stop Laughing Bundle -- MB-D9FDB73313F73480 - Taken by General_Frags. 11 entrants total.

t1404315185z1.png

Tizoc

Someone posted a link for a reliable/trusty TF2 Key seller some pages back, could someone link to them please?

So I guess Murdered : Soul Suspect didn't do so well, eh? Really a shame when a new IP is released and the studio is subsequently shut down.

can we all greenlight this game? i mean, there is every other simulator out there... why not this one?

Grass Simulator? I thought Skyrim was already released....

Tektonic

I think Grass Simulator is tied for most exciting game yet to be released. Alongside "Watching Paint Dry Simulator" - one for the purists

Arthea

Why exactly Valve never reveals their regional list?
Recently I noticed, that inspite of being convinced all the time that I'm in EU2 region, I have prices of EU1 region. Does it mean my country was moved to EU1, or there are more than 2 EU regions? Or I always was in EU1?
so confusing...
There is another thing I don't understand. As far as I know, there are no restricted games here, yet there are so many games that are not in my regional store, it's sometimes baffling.
I can understand MMOs and online games having no local servers and for that reason being not available, but singleplay games ... what for are they region locked out?

Arthea

mannerbot

My birthday too, guess I'll do one as well!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Risk of Rain -- MB-693AF3CC13826EC1 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 27 entrants total.

t1404315637z1.png

JaseC

Why exactly Valve never reveals their regional list?
Recently I noticed, that inspite of being convinced all the time that I'm in EU2 region, I have prices of EU1 region. Does it mean my country was moved to EU1, or there are more than 2 EU regions? Or I always was in EU1?
so confusing...
There is another thing I don't understand. As far as I know, there are no restricted games here, yet there are so many games that are not in my regional store, it's sometimes baffling.
I can understand MMOs and online games having no local servers and for that reason being not available, but singleplay games ... what for are they region locked out?

Poland was part of "EU2" initially (see the Steam Prices FAQ), but it's possible this may have changed recently with Valve set to expand its support of local currencies. As for game availability, it's completely independent of Valve's pricing regions -- publishers can restrict access to certain countries if they so desire (Nosgoth isn't available on Steam AU, for example, despite the store using USD).

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I already have this, but I wanted to post to recommend that people play it as it's awesome, really enjoy it. They recently updated the game with Halo Skull esque artifacts that affect gameplay too. Great giveaway mannerbot, and happy birthday!

Edit: Thanks for They Breathe, Tizoc!

Hugstable

Banned
Yeah. I thought everything was fair up until that boss fight. Did not enjoy my time with that one.

I thought the Stray Demon was unfair for like a day or second when I couldn't figure out his secret of where the safe spot was from his blast... then I learned I just needs to be a little further back behind him. After that he became as harmless as a puppy.

So I guess Murdered : Soul Suspect didn't do so well, eh? Really a shame when a new IP is released and the studio is subsequently shut down.

It really sucks that there's no room for 7/10 games in the market anymore. The game had it's flaws but it wasn't so bad that the studio deserved to die.

subtleglitch

Neo Member
Uguu, fuck the Dark series so much !

I know I could take flake for that so let me explain. Before plunging in Original Sin I decided it was ample time I finished Dark Souls 1. A game I am at the end of and hadn't played for some weeks. And the same thing happened with Demon's Souls. And I love these two games. So what ?
Well, I think that the series walks a fine line between unforgiving but fair and bullshit, and 99% of the time it wonderfully keeps on the good side. But everyone is different and has its personal threshold, and for me each end game is so much bullshit.
I killed the fucking knight (let's not spoil). The fight was really difficult and asked of the player to perfectly know the move set of the guy. Ok.
And now I'm banging my head at the wall that is the boss of the abyss / Oolacile. Fuck this so much. I even tried solo-coop for the first time but that don't do me much good except a much needed breathing space.
So I will have to try this fight a dozen time before knowing each fucking move of the enemy. And then there will be a flying calamity (see what I did there) and the proper game boss.
So much banging at a concrete wall.

I truly love the series, but when it crosses my personal line it becomes an exercise in pure frustration. I guess I have the option to cheat my way through this boss but he is no Old King Allant with its bullshit level drain, I'm not really ready to cheese him.

Just keep at it man, that boss is meant to be hard. I know I had trouble with him to begin with. All I can say is try Co-op and also try summoning
Sif, as he helps take the heat off you for a while.

When you beat him it will feel glorious :)

Finished Halo: Spartan Assault last night. It was fun while it lasted. It was a nice change of pace from the standard viewpoint of a halo game. I played with the twin stick config and definitely experienced a couple of "sticking points" with auto aim though. It stills feels weird to be playing a halo game on steam.

milena87

Happy birthday!

It really sucks that there's no room for 7/10 games in the market anymore. The game had it's flaws but it wasn't so bad that the studio deserved to die.

I actually think that there's a market for such games, but the publishers need to set the price accordingly.
I'm interested in Murdered Souls Suspect, but certainly not at that price.

Arthea

Poland was part of "EU2" initially (see the Steam Prices FAQ), but it's possible this may have changed recently with Valve set to expand its support of local currencies. As for game availability, it's completely independent of Valve's pricing regions -- publishers can restrict access to certain countries if they so desire (Nosgoth isn't available on Steam AU, for example, despite the store using USD).

Oh I see, they may have retossed regions recently. I was afraid that I was being my blind myself all this time (><)

Well, ya, but why publishers would do such a thing? Can it be that there is some financial disadvantage of being in more regions for them?

thanks!

happy birthday!

Panda Rin

I thought the Stray Demon was unfair for like a day or second when I couldn't figure out his secret of where the safe spot was from his blast... then I learned I just needs to be a little further back behind him. After that he became as harmless as a puppy.

I had the same initial reaction, except it took me about a year to get back into it..aha.

JaseC

Well, ya, but why publishers would do such a thing? Can it be that there is some financial disadvantage of being in more regions for them?

Hard to say. In some cases there could be a perfectly valid excuse, such as server concerns (not enough capacity to go around)... but in others it's a case of anyone's guess (e.g. Singularity isn't available on Steam AU despite being sold at retail).

liezryou

Hard to say. In some cases there could be a perfectly valid excuse, such as server concerns (not enough capacity to go around)... but in others it's a case of anyone's guess (e.g. Singularity isn't available on Steam AU despite being sold at retail).

I'm guessing it's cause they want to implement higher prices in AU before they release there. For nosgoth i mean.

hohoXD123

Sweet, was hoping someone else's birthday was today so I could use this:

BbNEaiY.gif

Happy birthday!

I actually think that there's a market for such games, but the publishers need to set the price accordingly.

Happy Birthday guys! :)

Happy Birthday!

Thanks guys!

Arthea

Well managed to get enough keys to get Magic 2015 Complete for $21ish.
Why would you ruin a game for yourself? You just paid extra ~$10 for making a game as much less fun as it is possible!
never, ever pay for unlockables in MtG games, when you can unlock them by playing a game and having challenge while doing it.

Trying to understand publishers decisions is hard, I just accept that this is "how they roll".

all I want from publishers to study this map time from time when doing they regional pricing policies
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/World_Income_Gini_Map_(2013).svg

it's not too much to ask, is it?
totally too much, I know (><)

MTE

Finally picked up The Stanley Parable during the sale, and I've played some last night and this evening. Amazing game. Right up my alley.

I'm not sure what price point could have saved the game. For PC at least, It launched at $50 but was available on pre-order for less than $40. I suppose they could have priced it at $30 but then you start getting into the territory where price does not match investment for a game like this.

aku:jiki

Why would you ruin a game for yourself? You just paid extra ~$10 for making a game as much less fun as it is possible!
never, ever pay for unlockables in MtG games, when you can unlock them by playing a game and having challenge while doing it.
I agree that unlocking cards is fun and I do it myself, but still, buying it to just go straight to multiplayer with everything unlocked is a valid idea.

TsuXna

It's a good Bourne game. Sure wasn't a good splinter cell though.
The coop though for me was the highlight. That final mission was so good.

Blacklist is better imo, I would play it as well. Combat is pretty similar, but it lets you be more stealthy

I want to try co-op too, but with no one unfortunately :(
Jawmucher you want to try it sometime?

Unfortunately Blacklist is not available on Mac.

Arthea

I agree that unlocking cards is fun and I do it myself, but still, buying it to just go straight to multiplayer with everything unlocked is a valid idea.

I see your point, I was a little hasty, if you plan to go straight to multi, it is an easiest way to go about it.

Aaron D.

I'd argue this only applies to physical disc releases for the most part.

The digital space is ripe with self-sustaining "good" (not "great!") games. Perhaps it's because no packaging and distribution as well as targeted audience focus creates a lower overhead for the dev/publisher and a lower threshold of units sold to profitability.

Seems like it's easier on the digital side to create and distribute mid-tier product catering to specific audiences when you wipe out the retail middle-man with competing AAA budget shelf space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom