• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Why would you ruin a game for yourself? You just paid extra ~$10 for making a game as much less fun as it is possible!
never, ever pay for unlockables in MtG games, when you can unlock them by playing a game and having challenge while doing it.

If the complete edition unlocks everything, what comes from the special edition? Magic games have various DLC released for them over time, I just want the one that'll act like base game+season pass.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Revenge of the Titans -- MB-796A364B6CB05D38
This is a cute little tower defence game that gets gruellingly hard, great sort of retro neon visual style. Rest of dev's games here

t1404308364z1.png

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
after this Steam sale I was really left wondering why I've gravitated toward consoles as much as I have. I mean I really guess it's still a leftover from the PSX/PS2/N64 eras.. Where there actually WAS a difference between PC and console gaming. I just never really grasped how by the end of PS2-gen and pretty much for the most of last gen, aside from console exclusives (of which most are first party, or Japanese for PS3) that "gaming" was no longer really segregated.

If you look at all of my Steam purchases, even from this sale, they are still a lot of "PC" purchases.. with loving my PS4 and Wii U as well.. but it's starting to break down in my head that "PC is for PC gaming". One big factor in breaking that down as well is getting an HTPC case that's easily movable between my desk/monitor and my TV, and using DS4Tool to get my Dualshock 4's hooked up over Bluetooth for comfy couch gaming.

sadly mouse and keyboard still just isn't comfortable on the TV. Sitting on the couch isn't really comfortable and too far back.. I can use a TV tray but for most of the games sitting that far back the text is too small, and sitting to where I can read the text (46" TV) is a REALLY wide viewing angle at that range... we'll have to play with it some more.

Arthea

If the complete edition unlocks everything, what comes from the special edition? Magic games have various DLC released for them over time, I just want the one that'll act like base game+season pass.

It's no season pass, unfortunately, your version I think has some bonuses as soundtrack and alike, but dlcs are just unlockables, if it'll ever get expansion(s), you will still have to buy them separately.

after this Steam sale I was really left wondering why I've gravitated toward consoles as much as I have. I mean I really guess it's still a leftover from the PSX/PS2/N64 eras.. Where there actually WAS a difference between PC and console gaming. I just never really grasped how by the end of PS2-gen and pretty much for the most of last gen, aside from console exclusives (of which most are first party, or Japanese for PS3) that "gaming" was no longer really segregated.

If you look at all of my Steam purchases, even from this sale, they are still a lot of "PC" purchases.. with loving my PS4 and Wii U as well.. but it's starting to break down in my head that "PC is for PC gaming". One big factor in breaking that down as well is getting an HTPC case that's easily movable between my desk/monitor and my TV, and using DS4Tool to get my Dualshock 4's hooked up over Bluetooth for comfy couch gaming.

sadly mouse and keyboard still just isn't comfortable on the TV. Sitting on the couch isn't really comfortable and too far back.. I can use a TV tray but for most of the games sitting that far back the text is too small, and sitting to where I can read the text (46" TV) is a REALLY wide viewing angle at that range... we'll have to play with it some more.

You only need a console for their 1 party games or 3rd party exclusive ones or better ports, as well as ease of use. However the new crop of consoles do have their faults (these will be ironed out in time) for example many Xbox one games have over 10GB patches, etc.

You are right that the Keyboard and Mouse are still major problems for couch gaming, still have yet to be impressed if the Steam controller will be able to handle some games (Strategy ones) which has been promised. Hopefully someone will release a good gaming Keyboard and Mouse designed for the couch soon.

TsuXna

I remember reading they laid off quite a few people before, but I don't know about shutting down before the game came out. Shame either way though.

After Chaos Theory it was a downgrade.

I pretend Double Agent doesn't exist

Haven't played, but enjoying this one.

From that base to Iraq and from stealth to action, god i love it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's not my birthday, but it is the 1 year anniversary of when I joined GAF.

By the way, you guys are all awesome and I'm glad to be part of this community.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man, I never really thought about it till it was mentioned recently in the Sniper Elite 3 thread, but locking co-op behind a paywall is kinda fucked. The players are hosting literally 1 other person and their connection is lifting all the weight. I guess an invite player to game system is really draining on servers.

I'm so relieved Valve is willing to bear that great load for us for free.

rtcn63

I... I'm in Georgia... my nieces took me out for Korean BBQ and I've spent a total of at least two hours in the bathroom over a period of two days... I want to- I want to play Steam games but my laptop's integrated graphics fall short... I'm here for an entire week... why based Saoirse?

RS4-

I... I'm in Georgia... my nieces took me out for Korean BBQ and I've spent a total of at least two hours in the bathroom over a period of two days... I want to- I want to play Steam games but my laptop's integrated graphics fall short... I'm here for an entire week... why based Saoirse?

Upgrade your stomach. Don't buy seagate.

liezryou

Maybe, but then again Squeenix is already well-versed in the Aussie Tax, haha.

They should change their name to Circle-Enix with how fat they have become milking all those mobile games. Thank god their greediness has not started to spread to PC
Yet

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's not my birthday, but it is the 1 year anniversary of when I joined GAF.

By the way, you guys are all awesome and I'm glad to be part of this community.

Happy Gaffiversary! You are equally awesome and it'sgreat having you around. Also, because I forgot earlier, happy birthday hofoXD123!

It's not my birthday, GAF birthday or Steam birthday. But the sun is shining so all is well.

Turfster

Next Steam sale is "From Paris with Games" for the French national holiday (the 14th to the 16th). Are these becoming a thing now?
Anyway, below is a list of games and discounts that will be offered.

• -50% - How to Survive + DLC
  • -75% - Blood Bowl Chaos Edition
  • -30% - Wargame Franchise
  • -40% - Wargame Red Dragon
  • -40% - Bound By Flame
  • -33% - Space Run
  • -66% - Remember Me
  • -33% - Faery: Legend of Avalon
  • -75% - Shootmania Storm
  • -75% - Mars War Logs
  • -75% - The Last Express
  • -25% - Crouching Pony Hidden Dragon
  • -50% - Gauge
  • -75% - Storm
  • -70% - Puddle
  • -50% - Let’s Sing
  • -75% - Aarklash Legacy
  • -80% - Cities XL Platinum
  • -75% - Stellar Impact
  • -50% - Trackmania² Valley
  • -50% - Trackmania² Canyon
  • -75% - Trackmania² Stadium
  • -90% - EYE Cybermancy

Tizoc

It's no season pass, unfortunately, your version I think has some bonuses as soundtrack and alike, but dlcs are just unlockables, if it'll ever get expansion(s), you will still have to buy them separately.

Then I'll settle for the regular edition. Do they bother releasing all dlcs in a bundle by any chance?
By my calculations I can get the game for $9.20. I save a few cents...or I could put all those Keys towards Crimes and Punishment.

Hugstable

Banned
Standard birthday giveaway:

My birthday too, guess I'll do one as well!

Happy Birthday to both of you! And that's awesome that you both do giveaways on your own birthday! Hope you guys have a great one as well today and enjoy the day today!

Next Steam sale is "From Paris with Games" for the French national holiday (the 14th to the 16th). Are these becoming a thing now?

• -40% - Bound By Flame
  • -33% - Space Run
  • -66% - Remember Me
  • -75% - Mars War Logs
  • -50% - Gauge
  • -75% - Storm
  • -70% - Puddle
  • -50% - Let’s Sing
  • -75% - Aarklash Legacy
  • -75% - Stellar Impact
  • -90% - EYE Cybermancy

Surprised on no Ubi games on sale. EYE cybermancy is an interesting game. I didn't like it very much, but it's sure different.

Tizoc

• -40% - Bound By Flame
  • -33% - Space Run
  • -66% - Remember Me
  • -75% - Mars War Logs
  • -50% - Gauge
  • -75% - Storm
  • -70% - Puddle
  • -50% - Let’s Sing
  • -75% - Aarklash Legacy
  • -75% - Stellar Impact
  • -90% - EYE Cybermancy

I am interested in the trackmania games actually.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

• -40% - Bound By Flame
  • -33% - Space Run
  • -66% - Remember Me
  • -75% - Mars War Logs
  • -50% - Gauge
  • -75% - Storm
  • -70% - Puddle
  • -50% - Let’s Sing
  • -75% - Aarklash Legacy
  • -75% - Stellar Impact
  • -90% - EYE Cybermancy

giphy.gif

Glad I waited

I'm fairly new to PC gaming (8 months or so) and my PC remains in the living room. It also functions as my HTPC since I've cut cable. To be honest I use a 360 controller for 99% of the games I play. I don't play competitive FPS so it doesn't matter. If a game doesn't have controller support, I just create or download a profile for Xpadder. I do have the Ikea laptop tray for my keyboard/mouse and that's only to browse the web or play Tropico. I think that's really the only game I use it for lol. So the only issue I have with certain games like you said is small text (the Steam client text really pisses me off). However, for most games I'm fine.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That french sale translates DLC into french as "DLC". That can't possibly be right. A literal translation would give you CTC, but I'm sure there's a better idiom. There's no way it's DLC. France-GAF help me out here?

milena87

I'm not sure what price point could have saved the game. For PC at least, It launched at $50 but was available on pre-order for less than $40. I suppose they could have priced it at $30 but then you start getting into the territory where price does not match investment for a game like this.

Well, I might have bought it at around 20€.
But here it officially costs 40€ for PC, 50€ for old gen consoles and 60€ for current gen.
I think it's a bit much for a game like this.

In truth, I believe that the current model is outdated and that the asking price for games should match both the scope of the game and the budget.

Paying 40€ for a game like Divinity Original Sin (or 100€, in my case) is totally ok, in my opinion. I perceive value in the game. The budget wasn't a gazillion dollars, but the game is ambitious and has a lot of depth. The asking price, I think, is fair.

I hope I made a bit of sense :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is new and exciting.
Is this automatic, or is this just one of yours you set up this way, Stump?

It's not automatic, it's a manual thing, but it's not necessarily me (I'm not going to out an anonymous giver!). It's using ModBot's new Game Comment function. It's not the most user-friendly thing at all (it requires a very specific format), but I left instructions for doing it in the ModBot thread. Hopefully this helps people who are looking to add light commentary to some of their giveaways.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

• -75% - Aarklash Legacy

This will be the lowest Aarklash Legacy has ever been.

Has anyone modded their DS4 with Xbox One thumbsticks?

Just ordered a few thumbsticks from ebay, they're really cheap and look better than the stock thumbsticks DS4 have.

Turfster

It's not automatic, it's a manual thing, but it's not necessarily me (I'm not going to out an anonymous giver!). It's using ModBot's new Game Comment function. It's not the most user-friendly thing at all (it requires a very specific format), but I left instructions for doing it in the ModBot thread. Hopefully this helps people who are looking to add light commentary to some of their giveaways.

Very nice.

Copons

They should do the same for Italian games.

A super mega incredible sale with just Anna, MirrorMoon EP and Lords of Football.

Arthea

Then I'll settle for the regular edition. Do they bother releasing all dlcs in a bundle by any chance?
By my calculations I can get the game for $9.20. I save a few cents...or I could put all those Keys towards Crimes and Punishment.

yes, they do packs (bundles), but all dlcs come only with collection, I mean with the game.

edited: Aarklash Legacy -75%?
glad I waited

Damn. No such thing as too many deals.

Wasn't this cheaper in the summer sale?

Yes. Game for 75 or 80% and the DLC was 0% off. hopefully this means they're going to discount the DLC as well.

One weird question about the anonymous giveaways: How come they aren't quoted with thumbnails like the regular giveaways?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
One weird question about the anonymous giveaways: How come they aren't quoted with thumbnails like the regular giveaways?

They do have thumbnails in general, that one doesn't because either Steam's search didn't respond with the expected data or some other error, which is not atypical; they aren't quoted because ModBot doesn't need to quote himself :p You don't need to quote giveaways you make either, it's just the easiest way to explain to people that they shouldn't just highlight the PM and copy and paste (because doing that would mangle all of the images)

Turfster

Bundlebandits has a new bundle up.
No, I still don't like them (or their horrible layout), so I'm not going to do a pretty overview.
Steam keys for Grimind, Sweet Lily Dreams, Aztaka and Naval Warfare, with 4 other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom