• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
my fuck up is everyone's gain, so since I had to buy a third bundle, heres another round of spares! This new avatar is the gift that keeps on giving aparently

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Explodemon -- MB-2859F8BED9C18986 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 2 entrants total.
Imperial Glory -- MB-C163380B7B9BF44C - Taken by Ruruja. 2 entrants total.
Praetorians -- MB-909CFD2EE5D1D445 - Taken by corrosivefrost. 4 entrants total.
Velocity Ultra -- MB-F79539055BC5C6B3 - Taken by StAidan. 2 entrants total.
Electronic Super Joy: Groove City -- MB-3FA55ADAE4186C47 - Taken by Deques. 3 entrants total.
Influx -- MB-FEFF2ACAC288E91D - Taken by Lomax. 4 entrants total.

t1405093009z1.png

also some unclaimed keys

Making History II: The War of the World -- MB-55E40F327AA0C156
Battlepillars Gold Edition -- MB-696FC32920F5A1C1 - Taken by EzioCroft (has 8 cards free money)
Project Aftermath -- MB-BCF497F3C93B49D8

Levyne

Banned
I'm in a position right now where if I don't find a new job within the next 60 days, my family and I are going to either be homeless or not have enough food to eat.

So I'm having to set my sights a little lower than Valve, unfortunately. :(

I suppose that when I settle in to my new life (wherever that may be) I can start dreaming again. Sorry, not trying to depress the thread or anything with #reallifestuff.

:<

I don't know much about your situation other than what you post here but I hope you find someplace that appreciates your skills and work ethic, even if it can't be Valve. Things will work out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm in a position right now where if I don't find a new job within the next 60 days, my family and I are going to either be homeless or not have enough food to eat.

So I'm having to set my sights a little lower than Valve, unfortunately. :(

I suppose that when I settle in to my new life (wherever that may be) I can start dreaming again. Sorry, not trying to depress the thread or anything with #reallifestuff.

That's rough. I thought you had a stable job but were just looking elsewhere because of health insurance concerns?

rrs

93gTBcZ.jpg

All this ETS2 love warms my cold, cold heart.

It's amazing the inroads this single title has made for the niche vehicle sim genre among wider audiences. Only a few years ago, these games were laughed straight out of the conversation. Now they're recognized as legitimate (not ironic) quality and fun.

Still have a ways to go before Farming Simulator (my personal fave) gets the same level of respect, but it's already light years ahead of where it was not so long ago.

Good times.

Well, ETS2 is pretty much 10+ years of truck sim work put into a game that looks, plays, and feels great to play; and it's still getting updates a year and half after release.

The funny thing is, even though they're arguably the least important aspect of the game, all the reported typos and other grammatical errors in the Sakura Spirit script bother me a bit. Maybe because my current job involves QA testing?

Of course by now almost all of the event CGs are probably in the game's community screenshot gallery on Steam so it's not like anyone else needs to buy it. Until it gets cards for whatever insane reason.

Even then I wouldn't buy the "game"

Dr Dogg

Yike Jshackles! Hope everything works out dude. Have you heard back from the few places you applied to yet?

I did the same thing the other day. They got back to me like a day later and gave me a refund :)

They obviously like you more than me :(

To be fair I haven't been too bothered or paying attention of my email account I use to buy stuff from. Might give them a nudge now.

Jawmuncher

*Hope everything goes well for you jahackles.

----------------------------

I absolutely live games without a full on objective. Since I never consider them something that can fill my backlog since I can't beat them. Play any of those for 30 minutes and I'm golden. Same for MP games when I don't have friends around.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's rough. I thought you had a stable job but were just looking elsewhere because of health insurance concerns?

It's true that my job here is stable, but yes they've cut my insurance benefits.

The wrench thrown into my life is that the house I've been renting for nearly 5 years is being sold, and I've been given a 60 day eviction notice. The problem is that real estate in this area has skyrocketed in the last 5 years so the cheapest place I can find to rent is almost $1,000 a month more than what I was previously paying. So, almost but not quite double.

Yes technically I could afford to stay in this area (and keep my job here), but that's a significant chunk of change I'll have to pay every month for the privilege of doing so. I don't have any debt and my budget runs pretty lean as it is. My wife is disabled so I've been supporting my family on a single income.

So with the onslaught of medical bills and the sharp rise in my cost of living, it's probably better that I look for work elsewhere. I've kinda known this has been coming since the beginning of the year (when my insurance was cut) so I've kinda casually been shopping for a job since then. I figured it would be nice if a company like Valve would recognize my skills both through my work with Enhanced Steam and my 16 years of experience working in IT. Now that I'm down to the wire, I'm putting in applications left and right to various places, most of which have nothing to do with gaming or will even recognize my work with Enhanced Steam as anything more than "a hobby project".

Anyway, how bout them Steam games, guys?

Anustart

They wouldn't need to click the links at all unless Steam requires that in the terms of service for their OAuth API. ModBot would do the redemption on its own.

This is exactly what modbot's been waiting for. We're just handing him the keys to the kingdom with this move.

#EqualityForHumansNOTBOTS

OOTP9 can no longer be purchased at all and the only reason OOTP14 can is because someone later surreptitiously changed the sub availability from "unavailable" to "available". Now that OOTP Productions can upload games at will, it's actively pushing people towards newer instalments.

ah. Thanks for clarification.

JaseC

that's why I am scared to try them out..

I just beat Portal 2 yesterday.. great game.. very satisfying ending..

<snip>

Not to nag, but if you're going to post an actual spoiler, I'd recommend labelling it appropriately: e.g. (Actual Portal 2 spoiler)
Where is Wheelman?
Too many people "abuse" spoiler tags to the point where you can't be sure if a section of unlabelled masked text is either an off-the-cuff comment or an actual detail. Technically using spoiler tags in such an unclear manner is against the rules, but naturally this is something that's difficult to enforce.

I feel like those truck sims are actually backlog-avoidance aids.

Be advised, ETS2 can be played it in short sessions - there's an auto-save feature so you can quit also while driving on the highway - besides delivery jobs never take too long - just to give you an idea 400ish miles can be driven in ten/fifteen minutes - , so that makes of it a nice carefree addition to everyone's Steam game library.

Blah more of those!
I was already annoyed on the way to the Bonfire with the nonstop regenerating skelltetons :(
I believe there aren't many of them, maybe about 3-5 of them, can't remember. Also by any chance you have a
skull lantern or sunlight maggot helm
? You might need any of those for the area after the Catacombs.

aku:jiki

I just tried out Trail of Ibn Battuta and when you fire the Skorpion, it makes 7 gunshot noises but you only fire 4 bullets. This game oozes quality.

CZm3sbp.png

*Hope everything goes well for you jahackles.

----------------------------

I absolutely live games without a full on objective. Since I never consider them something that can fill my backlog since I can't beat them. Play any of those for 30 minutes and I'm golden. Same for MP games when I don't have friends around.

the worst is when you get hooked on an online game while you have a pile of great games collecting dust. I got super into MW2 (over 8 days worth of gameplay logged) but I just felt like I was wasting time after a while because there is no real endgame in sight. I'm hoping one day to clear out my backlog so that I can joyfully play any game without feeling like I could be playing something else instead. I'm going back to my play 2 before buying 1 ways and hoping for the best.

But of course there will be a sweet humble bundle or some shit that always messes that up.

Aaron D.

I feel like those truck sims are actually backlog-avoidance aids.

That's not too far from the truth.

These games are very sandbox in nature so there really is no end-game win conditions. To make matters worse they're typically quite Zen in nature, making them ideal unwind material to just zone out on after a long day at work.

It's kind of like Minecraft in a way. Each title is like a platform unto itself that you can lose dozens upon dozens of hours to.

Hugstable

Banned
I believe there aren't many of them, maybe about 3-5 of them, can't remember. Also by any chance you have a
skull lantern or sunlight maggot helm
? You might need any of those for the area after the Catacombs.

I don't think I have either so far, gotta check. Playing a few CS:GO rounds before I jump in. Hopefully I might have it, but I'm not sure at all. Where would I go about finding those items?

harsh cold realities of life
I feel for you. Life is not a fairy tale but we loose ourselves sometimes in the little bit happiness we get.
You are a trooper jman. And a nice person in general.
But damn, 1000$ more than what you pay currently? You live in Beverly Hills or what?
Keep strong. As someone who is in a similar position to your wife - dependent on other - I really pray for you to pull through this rough patch. Hope you'll remember these times in the future and smile.

Not to nag, but if you're going to post an actual spoiler, I'd recommend labelling it appropriately: e.g. (Actual Portal 2 spoiler)
Where is Wheelman?
Too many people "abuse" spoiler tags to the point where you can't be sure if a section of unlabelled masked text is either an off-the-cuff comment or an actual detail. Technically using spoiler tags in such an unclear manner is against the rules, but naturally this is something that's difficult to enforce.

Thanks for clarifying, I will edit my post appropriately and do so in the future.

Jawmuncher

the worst is when you get hooked on an online game while you have a pile of great games collecting dust. I got super into MW2 (over 8 days worth of gameplay logged) but I just felt like I was wasting time after a while because there is no real endgame in sight. I'm hoping one day to clear out my backlog so that I can joyfully play any game without feeling like I could be playing something else instead. I'm going back to my play 2 before buying 1 ways and hoping for the best.

But of course there will be a sweet humble bundle or some shit that always messes that up.

Yep know the feeling all to well. It's why I really stopped playing MP in general. Hell these recent weeks with SteamGAF is the most I have done in years now that I think about it. While I know I won't completely clear my backlog I do have a priority list for it. So when I'm not even chipping at that I do feel kinda bad.

JaseC

It's true that my job here is stable, but yes they've cut my insurance benefits.

The wrench thrown into my life is that the house I've been renting for nearly 5 years is being sold, and I've been given a 60 day eviction notice. The problem is that real estate in this area has skyrocketed in the last 5 years so the cheapest place I can find to rent is almost $1,000 a month more than what I was previously paying. So, almost but not quite double.

Yes technically I could afford to stay in this area (and keep my job here), but that's a significant chunk of change I'll have to pay every month for the privilege of doing so. I don't have any debt and my budget runs pretty lean as it is. My wife is disabled so I've been supporting my family on a single income.

So with the onslaught of medical bills and the sharp rise in my cost of living, it's probably better that I look for work elsewhere.

Oh wow, that's awful. Sorry to hear that. Reminds me of the mining suburbs in northern WA -- because most residents are FIFO workers or otherwise work at the mines, the cost of living has sky-rocketed to take immediate advantage of the relatively high salaries folks are on. What this fails to take into account, though, is that such work never lasts long due to the finite nature of natural resources and indeed the "mining boom" here in general can't and won't last forever. It's actually reached the point where multinational corporations like Woolworths and McDonalds are finding it hard to employ people because it's practically impossible to live on a salary that is below what the mining corporations are offering, and indeed there are concerns that if mining regions don't use the revenue to make an effort to diversify economically then they'll end up as ghost towns once the resources dry up.

Hugstable

Banned
Yep know the feeling all to well. It's why I really stopped playing MP in general. Hell these recent weeks with SteamGAF is the most I have done in years now that I think about it. While I know I won't completely clear my backlog I do have a priority list for it. So when I'm not even chipping at that I do feel kinda bad.

Yeah until I started playing CS:GO again and Payday 2, I hadn't really played online with anyone in quite a long time besides my CS:GO matches a while back. Really been enjoying playing with everyone recently these last few weeks though.

HoosTrax

Not sure what to do with myself come August.

Sacred 3 releasing Aug 5 - is this a loot RPG?
Project Eternity Beta - Aug 18
Wasteland 2 - end of Aug (waiting to hear if it'll have achievements, to decide whether to preorder or wait for sale)

Beelzebubs

Why has Rhaknar got a new avatar anyway?

There was a free for all on a waifu game Sakura Spirit, he said if he won he'd change his avatar to a female version for a week. He didn't win but somebody gifted it to him.

How are they getting so much Alien Isolation games? is there a place with such a good price that I'm missing?

Russia.

Yeah until I started playing CS:GO again and Payday 2, I hadn't really played online with anyone in quite a long time besides my CS:GO matches a while back. Really been enjoying playing with everyone recently these last few weeks though.

Need to get me on some of that CS:GO action, I'm terrible, only played a couple of hours but I'm learning pretty quickly :p

Oh wow, that's awful. Sorry to hear that. Reminds me of the mining suburbs in northern WA -- because most residents are FIFO workers or otherwise work at the mines, the cost of living has sky-rocketed to take immediate advantage of the relatively high salaries folks are on. What this fails to take into account, though, is that such work never lasts long due to the finite nature of natural resources and indeed the "mining boom" here in general can't and won't last forever. It's actually reached the point where multinational corporations like Woolworths and McDonalds are finding it hard to employ people because it's practically impossible to live on a salary that is below what the mining corporations are offering, and indeed there are concerns that if mining regions don't use the revenue to make an effort to diversify economically then they'll end up as ghost towns once the resources dry up.

Interesting post.

In Tropico, once you start mining, you also start building an industry around metals... which means that once everything is depleted, you can import raw resources from elsewhere and use the already existing infrastructures...

But if they limit themselves to mining... yeah, they'll end up as ghost towns.

I don't think I have either so far, gotta check. Playing a few CS:GO rounds before I jump in. Hopefully I might have it, but I'm not sure at all. Where would I go about finding those items?
For the lantern I believe
is on a dead corpse in the area after the Catacombs . If you didn't spot patches in the Catacombs he'll be in the next area.
For the helmet,
you go to the Chaos Servant shortcut between demon ruins and lost Izalith and kill a chaos bug. But that requires you to give 30 humanity to the leader of the Chaos Servant.
So those are the ways to get those items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom