• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

If anyone from Valve is reading this and you want to give me access to Steam OAuth key redemption, I would be able to make it so that ModBot automatically redeems the Steam keys you win.

Now wouldn't that be nice.

Also if anyone from Valve is reading this and would like to hire me, I'd be willing to write a web interface to this API so that people could redeem keys on the web, like most of your competitors already offer.

Now wouldn't that be even nicer.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh wow, that's awful. Sorry to hear that. Reminds me of the mining suburbs in northern WA -- because most residents are FIFO workers or otherwise work at the mines, the cost of living has sky-rocketed to take immediate advantage of the relatively high salaries folks are on. What this fails to take into account, though, is that such work never lasts long due to the finite nature of natural resources and indeed the "mining boom" here in general can't and won't last forever. It's actually reached the point where multinational corporations like Woolworths and McDonalds are finding it hard to employ people because it's practically impossible to live on a salary that is below what the mining corporations are offering, and indeed there are concerns that if mining regions don't use the revenue to make an effort to diversify economically then they'll end up as ghost towns once the resources dry up.

Yeah, pretty similar situation though not quite as extreme. The problem here is retirees. A lot of people retire here from high paying jobs in California who snatch up all of the real estate which makes the price go way way up. I really lucked out when I moved here because it was in the middle of "the great recession" and housing was cheap.

There isn't much available around here in the way of rentals, unless you're looking for a 1-bedroom or studio apartment, which are reasonable (and by reasonable I mean "for about the same as what I pay for my 4 bedroom house currently").

Yikes, now that's rough. Hope things work out for you soon. Keep your chin up, life's troubles tend to be temporary but that's quite a burden to bear nonetheless.

I'm sure everything will work out just fine. Like I said, I have 16 years of experience in my field in addition to a lot of industry certifications (and a crazy degree that doesn't mean shit). I'm sure I'll find somewhere to work. If I end up in a big city, my wife will probably be able to pick up some part-time work as well.

So anyway a bit more on topic, because of all of this stuff that's going on in my life at the moment: updates for Enhanced Steam might be slow or non-existent in the interim. I'll try to keep up with any major bugs that come up as the result of Valve changing stuff but mostly I'll be focusing on other things for next few months.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Praetorians -- MB-909CFD2EE5D1D445 - Taken by corrosivefrost
Influx -- MB-FEFF2ACAC288E91D - Taken by Lomax
Project Aftermath -- MB-BCF497F3C93B49D8

take them pls ^_^

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Interesting post.

In Tropico, once you start mining, you also start building an industry around metals... which means that once everything is depleted, you can import raw resources from elsewhere and use the already existing infrastructures...

But if they limit themselves to mining... yeah, they'll end up as ghost towns.

It's one of those situations where the post-boom effects have only recently begun to develop into serious issues as previously everybody was more concerned with the short-term benefits to care.

I think the new ones drop for everyone.

Ah, even better.

That's interesting. I noticed I don't have any card drops for Pinball Arcade even though I bought the starter pack during the Summer Sale for 1 cent. I always thought you got card drops for free games once you spent money on them, but perhaps there is an amount threshold. Bummer.

MayMay

Banned
So yeah, these are still open and up for grabs.

Windforge -- MB-69EA41A559EECCC4 - Taken by crazyrabbits
BioShock -- MB-1B9A4F96879288E5
vRvbDCu.png
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-539DA3B2C77902E5
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-C4BAA486CF873CD5 - Taken by Benedict
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box (Origin) -- MB-D27589B89FD993EE - Taken by Kaisersalsek
Fish Fillets 2 -- MB-5DB3B41BE544FF6D - Taken by fuzzy123
vRvbDCu.png
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising (Origin) -- MB-E37A070792155847 - Taken by aurelioking
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-9F9647801B992231
Nightsky -- MB-344D4E071C7A82CB
Waking Mars -- MB-D0E87E8ED679B5FB

take them pls ^_^

Grabbed Battlepillars, thanks.

derExperte

That's interesting. I noticed I don't have any card drops for Pinball Arcade even though I bought the starter pack during the Summer Sale for 1 cent. I always thought you got card drops for free games once you spent money on them, but perhaps there is an amount threshold. Bummer.

Yes, you need to spend a certain amount of money to earn card drops.

Hugstable

Banned
Yeah, pretty similar situation though not quite as extreme. The problem here is retirees. A lot of people retire here from high paying jobs in California who snatch up all of the real estate which makes the price go way way up. I really lucked out when I moved here because it was in the middle of "the great recession" and housing was cheap.

There isn't much available around here in the way of rentals, unless you're looking for a 1-bedroom or studio apartment, which are reasonable (and by reasonable I mean "for about the same as what I pay for my 4 bedroom house currently").

I'm sure everything will work out just fine. Like I said, I have 16 years of experience in my field in addition to a lot of industry certifications (and a crazy degree that doesn't mean shit). I'm sure I'll find somewhere to work. If I end up in a big city, my wife will probably be able to pick up some part-time work as well.

So anyway a bit more on topic, because of all of this stuff that's going on in my life at the moment: updates for Enhanced Steam might be slow or non-existent in the interim. I'll try to keep up with any major bugs that come up as the result of Valve changing stuff but mostly I'll be focusing on other things for next few months.

I hope everything gets better for you Jshackles :(. I live in Cali myself, and the housing prices and situation overall here has gotten pretty bad the last few years. You should really focus on the job hunting instead of Enhanced Steam at the moment, Enhanced Steam works amazing as is right now. With that kind of degree and experience though, I'm sure you will find a great job soon, California is a pretty big state afterall. Hope everything goes well :D

So yeah, these are still open and up for grabs.
Can't believe Bioshock and Waking Mars are still available. I guess everyone has Bioshock already, but Waking Mars sleeps like a really cool sleeper hit type of game. Some very positive impressions on GAF got me interested, and I was lucky enough to win it in a Modbot raffle.
But dat damn backlog!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Rooks Keep has a store page now, was in a few bundles

Jawmuncher

[Funstock Digital]
  • Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition PC Steam Key (£2.24 / $3.83) |
  • Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Enhanced Edition Steam Key (£2.24 / $3.83) |
  • Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Steam Key (£11.24 / $19.22) |
  • Pac-Man Museum Steam Key (£2.24 / $3.83) -
USE CODE #FUNMAN

http://www.funstockdigital.co.uk/hot-deals/discount-bandai-namco-pc-game-downloads-steam-keys

Some other stuff as well.
Though ignore Dark Souls 2 if you're in America since it's region lock and I think it'll come out as costing more anyway.

I'm in a position right now where if I don't find a new job within the next 60 days, my family and I are going to either be homeless or not have enough food to eat.

So I'm having to set my sights a little lower than Valve, unfortunately. :(

I suppose that when I settle in to my new life (wherever that may be) I can start dreaming again. Sorry, not trying to depress the thread or anything with #reallifestuff.
That's rough. :( I hope things work out for you. You're so talented that something has to come up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They drop periodically provided you've the pass and are playing online in VAC-secured servers.

You don't need the pass for non-Operation drops. You'll get guns and eSport crate drops without the pass. The problem is the drop rate without the pass is FUCKING DISMAL. So you're better off buying the pass.

Rhaknar

[Funstock Digital]
  • Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition PC Steam Key (£2.24 / $3.83) |
  • Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Enhanced Edition Steam Key (£2.24 / $3.83) |
  • Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Steam Key (£11.24 / $19.22) |
  • Pac-Man Museum Steam Key (£2.24 / $3.83) -
USE CODE #FUNMAN

I would get that Ace Combat if I could be arsed to make yet another account in yet another website. Can you even use paypal there?

JaseC

You don't need the pass for non-Operation drops. You'll get guns and eSport crate drops without the pass. The problem is the drop rate without the pass is FUCKING DISMAL. So you're better off buying the pass.

Ah, good to know. I intend to jump back on the CS horse once the fibre rollout in my area finishes up. A mate and I still occasionally play a drinking game we derived from the GunGame mod. however these days we're lucky to get together for a weekend once every 4-6 months so my playing CS is a very rare thing in the here and now. (We've been playing said drinking game since... 2006, I think? How time flies.)

Nzyme32

In a perfect world:

1) Half-Life 3
2) Left 4 Dead 3
3) Stars of Blood

Stars of Blood sounded like a great idea, it's a pity if they really did cancel it. Quite a while ago when the Steam Universe countdown was on, people noticed Greg Coomer added a twitter background, and my immediate hope was that maybe it could still be a thing. I still hope so. Would be nice to see them do something new

kxwBxef.jpg

inm8num2

I'm in a position right now where if I don't find a new job within the next 60 days, my family and I are going to either be homeless or not have enough food to eat.

So I'm having to set my sights a little lower than Valve, unfortunately. :(

I suppose that when I settle in to my new life (wherever that may be) I can start dreaming again. Sorry, not trying to depress the thread or anything with #reallifestuff.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I guess a better way to have put it is don't give up on the search on general (which you haven't). Given all the awesome work you've done we all have no doubt you'll find something. Whoever hires you will be damn lucky, too.

Hugstable

Banned
Ah, good to know. I intend to jump back on the CS horse once the fibre rollout in my area finishes up. A mate and I still occasionally play a drinking game we derived from the GunGame mod. however these days we're lucky to get together for a weekend once every 4-6 months so my playing CS is a very rare thing in the here and now. (We've been playing said drinking game since... 2006, I think? How time flies.)

You should play casual with us sometime!

JaseC

Stars of Blood sounded like a great idea, it's a pity if they really did cancel it. Quite a while ago when the Steam Universe countdown was on, people noticed Greg Coomer added a twitter background, and my immediate hope was that maybe it could still be a thing. I still hope so. Would be nice to see them do something new

kxwBxef.jpg

I choose to rank "Valve will resume work on Stars of Blood" among the likes of "WB will re-release Wheelman" and "Capcom will release a PC port of Dragon's Dogma" as far as the top of the list of things that I feel have a distinctly high chance of happening is concerned.

Caerith

FML I went to check and I'm now 10th which means I'm the last one of the first page of the Highest Combo Extreme Difficulty, with only 1 point more than the 11th position (and like 100 less than the 1st one who's a cheater FOR SURE also [BLINKINGTEXT]WARNING CAERITH IS A CHEATER TOO[/BLINKINGTEXT]).

So yeah, do not play CSD, or if you REALLY want to play it, do not do an extreme difficulty combo equal or higher than 283. THANKS.

Hey now, people might start to believe that. There are cheaters on the CSD leaderboard-- like the people with 300+ combos on the regular leaderboard but that aren't on the extreme leaderboard-- and I'm suspicious of the people in the high 300s also, but my score is legit. I could probably break 300 too if I really got back into it-- getting 296, I was still hesitating, still sloppy, still having those blank-out moments during rush hours.

But I didn't cheat. I mean, I don't even own a review site.

Ben652

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ben652, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bioshock -- MB-C93F774254997A55 - Taken by hardcastlemccormick

Makes me wonder what a SteamGAF-tan would look like.

- Fingers are just a blur to represent the thread speed
- Face is half Sersha Romulan, half Modbot
- A rat tail for BadRats
- A comically large knife in a back scabbard for the Gaben
- Gift games falling out from underneath her skirt

JaseC

You should play casual with us sometime!

My ISP is unreliable when it comes to local latency and even worse still when it comes to international latency. I do miss the days of just a few years ago where I enjoyed a ~60ms ping to my preferred CS:S server two states over, however I couldn't return to the ISP without suffering a literally unquantifiable drop in download quota, so I'm just going to wait for fibre -- including mandatory line rental I currently pay around $95 a month for unlimited ADSL (~7Mb on a good day/0.384Mb), however come the completion of the fibre rollout I can pay $100 a month for 100Mb/40Mb and a 1TB monthly quota with a reputable ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom