• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If anyone from Valve is reading this and you want to give me access to Steam OAuth key redemption, I would be able to make it so that ModBot automatically redeems the Steam keys you win.

Also if anyone from Valve is reading this and would like to hire me, I'd be willing to write a web interface to this API so that people could redeem keys on the web, like most of your competitors already offer.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rhaknar:
The winner for Mount and Blade would have been Melhisedek if the draw could go ahead as planned, which it can't because of the nuking stuff.

If anyone from Valve is reading this and you want to give me access to Steam OAuth key redemption, I would be able to make it so that ModBot automatically redeems the Steam keys you win.

but then when someone accidentally wins a game that they already have wouldn't that just be a waste of a game?

an example would be when i won Jawmunchers's copy of Alien: Iso. He entered a previous modbot giveaway, bought the game before the giveaway was over, and then won the giveaway. So would he still have been able to hold off on redeeming the second copy under that system you are proposing or would that key essentially go to waste?

About to make play some Catacombs in Dark Souls today. Hope to knock out a decent session and clear some areas today :D

I've had the itch to play DS recently (never played it before but LOVED demon's souls) but I fear that they'll migrate over to steamworks and saves will get nuked in the transition : /

PSA - Out of the Park Baseball 15 seems to be getting a 50% off sale starting later today according to the developer.

If you're a baseball fan, or want to understand more about the game, OOTP is fantastic.

You can play any season in history, using actual rosters or making your own. You have full (or automated) control over the general manager, field manager, everything.

If you ever played strat-o-matic or fantasy baseball, you may dig this a lot.

Keep an eye open for the sale.

Most theatre have matinee showings.

Meaning if you go before noon, it should be significantly cheaper :) so you might not even have to wait till Tuesday.

nah I got shit to do up until late sunday, and monday I'm just going to stay home cause I'm lazy as shit(nah its cause I got to get my luggage in order since I leave Wednesday).

PSA - Out of the Park Baseball 15 seems to be getting a 50% off sale starting later today according to the developer.

If you're a baseball fan, or want to understand more about the game, OOTP is fantastic.

You can play any season in history, using actual rosters or making your own. You have full (or automated) control over the general manager, field manager, everything.

Oh shit. This is an insta-buy.

Thanks for the heads up!

Wow, you put some serious effort into this ModBot stump. That's some professional-level stuff here. Appreciate it.
Do you do this all as programming exercise or why all the workload for us?

Fox318

If anyone from Valve is reading this...what are you doing. Fucking finish Half-Life 3 already!! Stop wasting your fucking time and finish that fucking game. Turn the DOTA off for like 5 minutes and just hit the publish button already.

Hugstable

Banned
I've had the itch to play DS recently (never played it before but LOVED demon's souls) but I fear that they'll migrate over to steamworks and saves will get nuked in the transition : /

Oh crap, I really hope this doesn't happen or they atleast give us a warning in advance so I can hurry up and power through the game.

Shadownet

Banned
Also if anyone from Valve is reading this and would like to hire me, I'd be willing to write a web interface to this API so that people could redeem keys on the web, like most of your competitors already offer.

Damn jshackles just asked for a job and dissed Valve at the same time.

If you get hired, I'd be amazed. :D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Rhaknar:
The winner for Mount and Blade would have been Melhisedek if the draw could go ahead as planned, which it can't because of the nuking stuff.

I could have used that information 5minutes ago before i did the new raffle lol. oh well ill grab a third mount and blade for Melthi :p

This fucking new avatar is costing me big time

KarmaCow

but then when someone accidentally wins a game that they already have wouldn't that just be a waste of a game?

an example would be when i won Jawmunchers's copy of Alien: Iso. He entered a previous modbot giveaway, bought the game before the giveaway was over, and then won the giveaway. So would he still have been able to hold off on redeeming the second copy under that system you are proposing or would that key essentially go to waste?

If it's the same AppID, it doesn't just eat the key. Or at least that doesn't happen with Humble Bundle's system or directly registering on Steam.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I have no idea what Steam OAuth does with duplicate key registrations, it's something I'd certainly test before making such a function live.

If you attempt to register a key to an account that already owns that game, you'll have a message returned from the API stating as such. This is why you can click "redeem" on sites like Humble and they will return something like "Your account already owns this game." and you can still gift it to someone else.

In the case of Modbot, it could actually perform a new draw until it finds a winner that doesn't already own the game, which would be nice.

Damn jshackles just asked for a job and dissed Valve at the same time.

If you get hired, I'd be amazed. :D

Me too, honestly. After two years, I've pretty much given up on the dream.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wouldn't we have to like

because you have to authorize Humble Bundle to do that every time

You'd, essentially, log in to Steam from GAF. What the system would allow ModBot to do is generate auto-activation links using the supplied CD key, so instead of having to activate the key manually you'd just click the supplied link and confirm the site's intentions, at which point the key would be redeemed automagically. It's not a massive time-saver but is less of hassle all the same.

jediyoshi

If anyone from Valve is reading this...what are you doing. Fucking finish Half-Life 3 already!! Stop wasting your fucking time and finish that fucking game. Turn the DOTA off for like 5 minutes and just hit the publish button already.

You're actually less angry at them not releasing it than them releasing it and you playing it. It's genius.

Articalys

The funny thing is, even though they're arguably the least important aspect of the game, all the reported typos and other grammatical errors in the Sakura Spirit script bother me a bit. Maybe because my current job involves QA testing?

Of course by now almost all of the event CGs are probably in the game's community screenshot gallery on Steam so it's not like anyone else needs to buy it. Until it gets cards for whatever insane reason.

Zeknurn

But how would I be able to trade Rogue Legacy for a copy of Rage if it's automatically redeemed to my account?

It's a great idea

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
anyone?

Making History II: The War of the World -- MB-55E40F327AA0C156
Battlepillars Gold Edition -- MB-696FC32920F5A1C1 - Taken by EzioCroft
Project Aftermath -- MB-BCF497F3C93B49D8

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You'd, essentially, log in to Steam from GAF. What the system would allow ModBot to do is generate auto-activation links using the supplied CD key, so instead of having to activate the key manually you'd just click the supplied link and confirm the site's intentions, at which point the key would be redeemed automagically. It's not a massive time-saver but is less of hassle all the same.

They wouldn't need to click the links at all unless Steam requires that in the terms of service for their OAuth API. ModBot would do the redemption on its own.

Fox318

huge deal

Easy_D

never left the stone age

DSFix has this handy save backup feature. It's something you'd pretty much have to use on PC anyway so.

JaseC

Pretty sure you are correct

Yeah, Freedom Cry and the DDE-exclusive Aveline DLC appear as separate options in the main menu, but in his case he later said he didn't activate the key via Uplay first, which is an understandable mistake.

They wouldn't need to click the links at all unless Steam requires that in the terms of service for their OAuth API. ModBot would do the redemption on its own.

I'd presume links are necessary seeing that's how Indie Gala, Humble, et al. handle things.

If my math is correct...I think OOTP15 will be roughly $10 in RU-land when the deal is live?

If that's the case, I might have to bug someone from RU-land. You've been warned.

kw67rjV.jpg

Heroes & Generals is now available for free on Steam Early access.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/227940/

If you were a fan of Battlefield before DICE ruined the franchise I highly recommend that you check this out. It's made by ex-Hitman developers and I think it captures everything Battlefield used to be while introducing new things.

I'm digging your description. I've been in the mood for something like this, lately. How early is the Early Access? As in, are there at least a good amount of maps for rotation?

I've got some Dirty Bomb beta keys for anyone interested in trying that out.

jshackles

Don't give up. :)

I'm in a position right now where if I don't find a new job within the next 60 days, my family and I are going to either be homeless or not have enough food to eat.

So I'm having to set my sights a little lower than Valve, unfortunately. :(

I suppose that when I settle in to my new life (wherever that may be) I can start dreaming again. Sorry, not trying to depress the thread or anything with #reallifestuff.

Dr Dogg

I have no idea what Steam OAuth does with duplicate key registrations, it's something I'd certainly test before making such a function live.

Being a muppet I bought a couple of items on Humble's store which I already had on my account. When trying to redeem them it told me 'this account already has this sub registered' or something like that. Actually I'm still waiting for support to get back to me so I could find out what it does...

Fake edit: actually this is what it says
4waXc3V.png

but it doesn't use the key, so like if you input a key into Steam it spits it back out if you own it. So there must be a flag in there somewhere to come back with that result.

Proper edit: And of course shackles would beat me to the punch while I went to post a fancy picture :(

JaseC

If my math is correct...I think OOTP15 will be roughly $10 in RU-land when the deal is live?

If that's the case, I might have to bug someone from RU-land. You've been warned.

The OOTP devs recently begun following in the footsteps of Sega and its yearly Football Manager shenanigans, so I'd definitely recommend acting on the side of caution.

I'm in a position right now where if I don't find a new job within the next 60 days, my family and I are going to either be homeless or not have enough food to eat.

I suppose that when I settle in to my new life (wherever that may be) I can start dreaming again.
:(
I really do wish you'll find a fulfilling place. You have the talent and such a positive attitude.
You deserve it.

Catshade

GetLoaded (a limited-time deal from GetGames) is having a 3 day sale (buy 2 games for $10) of various titles. Nothing too interesting except Deadly Premonition for $5, though...

93gTBcZ.jpg

All this ETS2 love warms my cold, cold heart.

It's amazing the inroads this single title has made for the niche vehicle sim genre among wider audiences. Only a few years ago, these games were laughed straight out of the conversation. Now they're recognized as legitimate (not ironic) quality and fun.

Still have a ways to go before Farming Simulator (my personal fave) gets the same level of respect, but it's already light years ahead of where it was not so long ago.

Good times.

It can't be stresses out enough how good this game is, as long as one's aware that this is not a racing game and it takes some patience and dedication to appreciate it as the progressiongameplay is quite slowish.

Driving a truck to Manchester under the pouring rain at night while lisetening at the radio is awesome!

One little shortcoming of the game is that it can be noticed there's a lot of copy and paste in the maps, but if only they could make the maps bigger and one could explore real locations it would be even better; I would love to be able to eplore a life-like model of London or Frankfurt, although I'm aware that is probably not something viable.

I suppose that when I settle in to my new life (wherever that may be) I can start dreaming again. Sorry, not trying to depress the thread or anything with #reallifestuff.

damn dude. Sorry to hear, really hope it works out for you.

The OOTP devs recently begun following in the footsteps of Sega and its yearly Football Manager shenanigans, so I'd definitely recommend acting on the side of caution.

sorry for the ignorance, what do you mean?

JaseC

sorry for the ignorance, what do you mean?

OOTP9 can no longer be purchased at all and the only reason OOTP14 can is because someone later surreptitiously changed the sub availability from "unavailable" to "available". Now that OOTP Productions can upload games at will, it's actively pushing people towards newer instalments.

Being a muppet I bought a couple of items on Humble's store which I already had on my account. When trying to redeem them it told me 'this account already has this sub registered' or something like that. Actually I'm still waiting for support to get back to me so I could find out what it does...

Fake edit: actually this is what it says
4waXc3V.png

but it doesn't use the key, so like if you input a key into Steam it spits it back out if you own it. So there must be a flag in there somewhere to come back with that result.

Proper edit: And of course shackles would beat me to the punch while I went to post a fancy picture :(

I did the same thing the other day. They got back to me like a day later and gave me a refund :)

Turfster

Get Loaded 2 for 8€/10$/6£ deal:
  • Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
  • Alien Rage
  • Dogfight 1942
  • Alan Wake
  • Alan Wake American Nightmare
  • Darksiders
  • Gothic 3
  • Red Faction Guerilla
  • Red Faction Armageddon
  • Wooden Sensey
  • Sang Froid
  • Deadly Premonition
  • Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2
  • Dungeon Siege III

Sorry to hear that. Hope things work themselves out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom