• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

undu

Are there any games on Steam that make use of a web camera in any way?

Burnout Paradise uses it to take mugshots in multiplayer

Ok I'm curious about what kind of avg. game completion rate people have on Steam, also what kind of rare achievements they have.:D So share!

KWyahoy.jpg

saunderez

Burnout Paradise uses it to take mugshots in multiplayer

On the 360 version I always tried to make sure those mugshots were completely ridiculous. You had just enough time to stage a photo. My personal favourite was switching to a PS3 controller and making a stupid face.

I'm actually more interested in the rare achievements than the completion % since it doesn't mean a lot. Why not describe what they are or at least include a link to your profile? It's impossible to tell what 90% of them are just based on the icons.
LNSIclE.png

World of Goo - All OCD flags in World 1
VVVVVV - V rank in Laboratory
Dustforce - S+ on all original levels
Dark Souls 2 - All cheevos
Out there somewhere - Travel thorugh 87 unique screens in one playthrough
You have to win the game - #yolo #swag # nbd

ArjanN

To be honest getting all achievements in a steam game is all over the place, for some it's near impossible there's also lots of stuff like Telltale games where all you have to do is beat the game.

Here's mine Achievement Showcase. I know, pretty bad avg. completion rate.o_O
[/IMG]

I've got a 27% completion rate, and it doesn't say that much as so many of the games on my account are games that cannot be beaten - Civ, TF2, etc.

Edit: If it's based on percent of achievements taken, then f*ck it. There are so many achievements I refuse to do. And TF2 has 1200 of them or so now. :)

If you're level 10 on higher on Steam, there's an option to show it when you edit your profile!
Aha, Level 5 here. This explains it. Feel left out.
On another topic, is it possible to quickly view profile background images somehow/where?
On the "edit profile" page it is painfully slow.

To be honest getting all achievements in a steam game is all over the place, for some it's near impossible there's also lots of stuff like Telltale games where all you have to do is beat the game.

I now fly into a murderous rage whenever fishing is mentioned.

Blame Torchlight 1's achievements.

On another topic, is it possible to quickly view profile background images somehow/where?

Inventory.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've got a 27% completion rate, and it doesn't say that much as so many of the games on my account are games that cannot be beaten - Civ, TF2, etc.

Edit: If it's based on percent of achievements taken, then f*ck it. There are so many achievements I refuse to do. And TF2 has 1200 of them or so now. :)

Completion rate just refers to the average amount of achievements you've unlocked in the achievement-supporting games you've played and within which you've unlocked at least one achievement.

Mono

Y3kFeQM.png

Dem VVVVVV achievements.

I kind of want to know which of my achievements are actually rare, since the VVVVV ones are kind of skewed since the dev just added them about a month ago even though the game has been out forever!

Kiru

I'm actually more interested in the rare achievements than the completion % since it doesn't mean a lot. Why not describe what they are or at least include a link to your profile? It's impossible to tell what 90% of them are just based on the icons.
LNSIclE.png

World of Goo - All OCD flags in World 1
VVVVVV - V rank in Laboratory
Dustforce - S+ on all original levels
Dark Souls 2 - All cheevos
Out there somewhere - Travel thorugh 87 unique screens in one playthrough
You have to win the game - #yolo #swag # nbd

ssbayf.png

VVVVVV - Super Gravitron: 10 seconds: Last 10 seconds on the Super Gravitron.
You Have to Win the Game - Nap Time: Won the game as a cat.
Portal - Aperture Science: Earn gold medals on all Portal challenges.
Portal - Rocket Science: Earn silver medals on all Portal challenges.
You Have to Win the Game - Places to Go, People to See: Won the game in any mode in under ten minutes.
Portal - Basic Science: Earn bronze medals on all Portal challenges.

Btw, I love Portal... ^^

Mono

I don't think so! :( There are a lot more backgrounds than are on that list since a ton of them are Steam inventory items that you get from crafting badges, so if someone's made an archive of them somewhere, those ones might be included as well.

I now fly into a murderous rage whenever fishing is mentioned.

Blame Torchlight 1's achievements.

Torchlight 1 fishing. *shudders* I didn't even bother with that achievement.

I think there's a mod that makes fishing take way less time, though.

aku:jiki

Indeed. It's kind of a clusterfuck with achievements added (or removed) whenever the dev pleases, throwing in 1300 achievements in one game for lols, broken achievements, etc, etc. This is one area where console manufacturer control is actually a positive; being an achievement/trophy hunter on console is quite a lot more sensible with all the restrictions they have. Steam cured me of my achievement disease because it's impossible to care anymore.

As such, my stats are kind of crap. 29%/19 perfects, rarest achievements are all stupid or related to Hotline Miami.

Ozium

Is the Steam client broken for anyone else? It won't show me videos, saying I need the latest flash plugin... but I do, and it works fine (the store page videos) on both Chrome and IE..

volvo pls

Kaper

I'm shocked that all of my rarest achievements are from CoH2. Most of them are just from doing the campaign on hard, or I inadvertently did them.
ENunxPM.jpg

Gangxxter

Yeah, I mean officially. It ought to be rolled into the GOG and Steam versions as DLC.
Technically they've been already released officially as free download addons, they're just re-hosted on fan sites these days. But I get what you mean, a Steam release would be nice.
Btw, now I remember that I bought a physical TR Collection box a few years ago (around 2010), containing the first 6 games. The box advertises the games to be the Gold editions with all addons included. But in fact those addons are missing and I had to download them manually.

Each TR comes with a free expasion set, by the way.
Except TR3, its addon "The Lost Artifact" wasn't free and isn't available anymore these days. The only way to get it legally these days is to buy a used physical copy.

aku:jiki

Hmm, but there are only images from cards?
In my profile editing page there are hundreds of pictures.

Yes, that's what I was searching for. Thanks.
You're confusing Enhanced Steam's custom background functionality with Steam's actual background functionality.

Does ES' custom function even show anyone else the one you picked? I mean, it'd at least have to be only to other users of ES, right?

Yrael

I think I just encountered a near game-breaking bug in Deponia: The Complete Journey. :( It happens really early on, too.

I can't seem to enter Wenzel's house twice - the second time, Rufus just walks straight back out again and strides to the opposite corner of the map in the village. The only way to get around that is to make sure I have all the objects needed to solve the puzzle in Wenzel's house the first time I visit (otherwise, I need to load from an earlier save file). Even then, once I've managed to flood the basement, I still don't ever properly "enter" the house - after trying to get back into the house, I hear Wenzel and Rufus talking to each other, but I'm still stuck looking at the village. Once I was at that point, I had to save and reload the game again to load the basement and get the divining rod.

_hekk05

Banned
egsvju.png

Teleglitch: Speedfreak
Has been under the influence of ingame legal stimulants more than 50% during a game run

Mark of the Ninja: The Humble Moth
Stun an elite guard with moths then dispatch him

Mark of the Ninja: Couldn't Do That Before
Disable a spotlight using the Dusk Moths

Mark of the Ninja: Cordyceps
Dispatch two enemies at once using a body infected with Toxic Fungus

Payday 2: Last Action Villain
Perform a headshot kill on enemies using only the R93 sniper rifle while zip lining

Mark of the Ninja: What Could Have Been
Complete one of the original Mark of the Ninja levels using the Path of Wisdom

ArjanN

For my rarest achievement showcase:
First 4 of mine are Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition, any game where they add steam achievements after the facttends to have a low completion percentage.
The other 2 are from the Dishonored Dunwall City Trials DLC, and DLC also usually means a low completion percentage, and that DLC is also way harder than the main game.

Most of the rarest achievements tend to be things like DLC achievements, and ones that were added later, so they're not really always the hardest to do.

My other achievement showcase has (the one where you pick the achievements to show) has:

Half-Life 2 Episode 2:
The send the gnome into space achievement

A.R.E.S
S rank all levels.

Aliens VS Predator
Beat Marine campaign on Nightmare

Dark Void Zero
complete game with 0 lives lost

Darksiders
BFA (get all achievemnts)

Just Cause 2
75% completion (which means you've done everything.

Torchlight 1 fishing. *shudders* I didn't even bother with that achievement.

I think there's a mod that makes fishing take way less time, though.

I wish I had that at the time.

I think it took me a day of doing nothing but clicking on that damn spot and going into challenge portals to get the fishing and sell 10,000 items achievements.

Torchlight 1 is banished from my game list forever, 10000 years dungeon.

At least those weren't multiplayer achievements for games with dead multiplayer *glares at Left 4 Dead*

Ozium

my rarest achievements are all goat simulator ones which I got for playfire rewards except one which is for conga dancing in TF2 (.75% of all players have that one..)

yep

Tizoc

Good day GAF
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana -- MB-102BC574341448A0
Ys I & II Chronicles Plus -- MB-DFC1B7FE9DDF5746
Ys Origin -- MB-23379AF818256627

t1405189130z1.png

ArjanN

Indeed. It's kind of a clusterfuck with achievements added (or removed) whenever the dev pleases, throwing in 1300 achievements in one game for lols, broken achievements, etc, etc. This is one area where console manufacturer control is actually a positive; being an achievement/trophy hunter on console is quite a lot more sensible with all the restrictions they have. Steam cured me of my achievement disease because it's impossible to care anymore.

As such, my stats are kind of crap. 29%/19 perfects, rarest achievements are all stupid or related to Hotline Miami.

It's worse in some ways and better in some. Devs have more freedom regarding achievements which occasionally leads to some interesting experimentation, but sometimes they mess it up.

You can just use the other Achievement Showcase where you manually pick the achievements to show though.

IMO it makes more sense to aim for specific tough achievements that are actually achievements than to just get as many as possible anyway.

Kiru

Haha, that just makes the lack of an official release in the here and now even worse.

I downloaded the free addon for Tomb Raider I, but I'm not sure if I really want to play it, playing the normal campaign is already tedious enough.

You're confusing Enhanced Steam's custom background functionality with Steam's actual background functionality.

Does ES' custom function even show anyone else the one you picked? I mean, it'd at least have to be only to other users of ES, right?
Damn, you're right. It an ES functionality.
So I can only set card images as background? Cannot find that option when watching my cards. Or is that also only available from a certain Level?

tylerf

I think I just encountered a near game-breaking bug in Deponia: The Complete Journey. :( It happens really early on, too.

I can't seem to enter Wenzel's house twice - the second time, Rufus just walks straight back out again and strides to the opposite corner of the map in the village. The only way to get around that is to make sure I have all the objects needed to solve the puzzle in Wenzel's house the first time I visit (otherwise, I need to load from an earlier save file). Even then, once I've managed to flood the basement, I still don't ever properly "enter" the house - after trying to get back into the house, I hear Wenzel and Rufus talking to each other, but I'm still stuck looking at the village. Once I was at that point, I had to save and reload the game again to load the basement and get the divining rod.

Haha I went through this same exact process. Don't worry though, the rest of the game was smooth :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom