• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this dude that just won in BBCP at Evo must be a steamgaffer, he got a Alpaca plushie after winning :p

Different game for next week?
I've been thinking of switching the games up next weekend. Same casual enviornment.
Please vote here.
If you have suggestions for another game, PM here on GAF or through Steam. It doesn't have to be a Valve game or even a steam game. However, I will have to look up the logistics of setting it up.
Voted Left4Dead2.
As game suggestions: Killing Floor, Trouble in Terrorist Town, Killing Floor, Prop Hunt
Oh I think I forgot about Killing Floor

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not really.
Consortium might be good, but I haven't had the time/opportunity to play my copy yet.

i want arcadecraft, but probably not at 50% :/ Quicklook looked fun tho, if limited

xeris

Do you recommend anything on this list?

I picked up Card City Nights on the Summer Sale. I'm probably about half way through and so far it's fun, if a bit easy. The story such as it is is all right. For the price I think it's worth it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
My misadventures with Always Sometimes Monsters continue, and 17 days in I finally seem to confronted with my first real choice of the game.

Aside from this though I am still faced with all of these non choices:

-I went with an old man to a pawn shop and he gave me money to buy him scratch cards, now this can be played in many ways: keep the money? keep the scratch cards? redeem any winning scratch cards for yourself or be truthful?
I played this scene out 3 different times, no matter what you do it plays out exactly the same every single time.

-I went to a strip club, in a game like this potential is rife for moral choices, nothing. The only thing I could do was in one of the back rooms I saw some tips that I could steal, no consequence to doing so.

Maybe that's the point in both these scenarios, that nothing does need to happen in a game like this, and that it's only your own conscience that is supposed to be affected but from a mechanics point of view, for a game about choice, if there are no consequences why not always do the easy thing, and take the extra money?
In fact during a scene with a confession booth, the game only seemed to highlight my doing 2 bad choices so far, and even the priest didn't blame me, and assuaged my character's guilt. It doesn't seem hard to play this game straight laced.
Then again, so far I've found little use for money apart from keeping myself fed and for buying the next mcguffin to progress the story, I've hardly struggled financially.

Once again I just feel there is a lot of missed potential here.

There are other real choices too, like
rigging the elections
, but I feel like the one you mentioned is probably the best usage of moral choice in the game.

As someone that's played the game twice through doing different choices, I feel like it suffers from the same problems as a David Cage game, well minus the terrible plot contrivances: there are so many non-choices that become incredibly obvious when you go through the game multiple times, or at the very least reload and choose a different option.

I feel like that's the point though, in light of the ending. But I'd prefer a game focused on morality and choices have actual choices that impact the narrative of the game greater than it did in ASM.

I wonder if the WiiU GameCube adapter will ever be compatible with PC.

71M404KvsxL._SX522_.jpg

I can't see Ninty themselves making it PC compatible, which sucks because the GC controller is my favorite controller, but there's always other possibilities.

This is a joke.
If you're an "international English team" and you want people to pay for your text-heavy product,
the least you can do is make sure your text is actually grammatically correct.
And while you're at it, rewrite your text for natural flow.

These are from like, the first minute of the game.

I shudder to think what their Japanese release with possible English voices will be like.

If Sekai Project were hiring for editors, I'd gladly sign up.

You know. For reasons.

That's pretty dire stuff and as a western-produced VN it's even worse. I do wonder why devs bother to go to the effort of making a text-heavy game only to fail to employ someone who is actually skilled at writing/editing text in their chosen language. It would be like me penning an incredible VN then whipping up the visuals myself in MS paint. A VN with those kind of issues in the opening minutes won't hold my attention for long, regardless of how many pretties it may feature. Same goes for the Soul Gambler pics on the previous page.

You know, I feel like that would actually be a popular hit, seems like one of those things that youtube lets players would eat right up.

It's the story of a white male that comes to know two japanese in the internet and agree to visit them for two weeks. As he arrives in japan it TURNS OUT that these two japanese are two underage highschool girls whose parents HAPPENS to be on vacation elsewhere while you're there in their house, with their daughters. You, the unknown western guy the two met in the internet and never even saw.

One of the girls is a tsundere with flatchest complex and the other is a nice caring busty girl with bustchest complex. And of course both like you very much.

The information about japan is nice and all, but I rather watch a documentary or two instead of reading this western otaku wet dream.

I really should get around to playing this one day. You know. For reasons.

aha, finished Always Sometimes Monsters. My overall opinion hasn't really changed I'm just glad to see that right at the end of the game a real hard choice actually finally appears!

Will you give up the journal you've been writing all throughout your journey (which will hopefully reignite your failing career) to save the life of your best friend who is now marrying your ex?

Yeah I killed her.

Would be interesting to see how the story can deviate cos I never seen many real instances of choice, at least none that really seemed to matter. And the quotes I've seen from some reviews that intrigued me never panned out, I never seen instances of things like "racism, sexism, homophobia" etc!

The best part is that the choice at the end of the game actually alters the outcome of the ending :p

It's one of the few things you can do that greatly alters the ending, the other major choice being
the part where you talk to the mom in the endgame and she questions your actions
, at least I think. I've seen some of the racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. stuff, but they only really appear if you go with certain characters, and most of those instances aren't really too major. It's another part of the game that kinda feels unfulfilled.

Anteater

damn, tomb raider legend is a mixed bag, was cool with the tombs for a while then they fill the game with shitty shootouts, hilariously dumb boss fights, motorcycle sections that are worse than bayonetta's and finally it crashes to desktop once I was done with that shit.

Turfster

If Sekai Project were hiring for editors, I'd gladly sign up.

You know. For reasons.

It would probably give you a "stomache". (sic)
And "in the meanwhile within the village" they would constantly "look over you to make sure you don't do anything fiendish
and all that."
The writing in this thing is really fucking horrible.

are you ready to cry when Tekken 7 is announced for everything
except PC
?

I will ball up in the fetal position and cry myself to sleep for a week or more when this happens.

I think I call you
white boy from the
Midwest.

But he's from the east coast, diggles.

No, because who cares for that series?

When's Marvel PC?

I do.
And never. At least until MvC4 if it ever happens.

Do you recommend anything on this list?

I heard Fist Puncher was good. The fact that the dev tells people they can probably pireate it in his trailer was enough for me to buy it for $5.

Not really.
Consortium might be good (I bought it because it looked interesting, after all), but I haven't had the time/opportunity to play my copy yet.

Is Arcadecraft supposed to be any good?

--

Are the Triton headsets they're using at EVO any good? I checked the Madcatz site last night and saw they had a couple models (one running $200) but was curious about the kunai for $70.

Ruruja

Crafted my first badge ever. Thanks to DunderHassan and Hero Prinny for giving me the remaining two Cards of Speedrunner!
http://a.pomf.se/eweznh.webm
Still need to level up 2 times to unlock some steam functions. What's a fast and free way to gain xp?

The only 'free' way is to sell card drops from certain games you aren't going to craft a badge with and use that money to buy cards for another game that you plan to craft a badge for.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Not sure why there would be, but is there any way to play The Witcher II with PS button prompts on screen (mods or otherwise)? I'm using a Dualshock 4 and it's mildly confusing.

Not sure why there would be, but is there any way to play The Witcher II with PS button prompts on screen? I'm using a Dualshock 4 and it's mildly confusing.

There might be a mod out there somewhere, a lot of games have them... I just instinctively know what the button layout of the x360 controller is and it's mapped in my head to the PS buttons...

I can't find anything through google though.

Fracas

#fuckonami
PS button prompts have never appeared for any games I've played with my controller
Transistor did ;___;
There might be a mod out there somewhere, a lot of games have them... I just instinctively know what the button layout of the x360 controller is and it's mapped in my head to the PS buttons...
Same here for the most part. Just throws me off now and then.

edit: also somehow, inexplicably, TWII now runs decently on my laptop. Yesterday I was barely hitting 30fps @ 1366x768 and low settings, now I'm getting 30-40 @ 1600x900 and medium. I'll take it

Lain

I am guessing this has gone under people's radars....

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227700/

firefall1.jpg

I haven't played this game since they "temporarily" removed instanced pvp from the game (still has yet to return but there will be open world pvp). Very fun game.

edit:
I bet I still have keys, although no clue if they are valid still but I can check. The game was in open beta at one time but right now it looks like you have to buy into early access again... odd... or wait til release when it becomes free to play.

I remember trying the beta and finding it boring. I wonder how it ended shaping up.

Blizzard

Banned
ooooh ... you're actually playing The Secret World??? :)
Yup, though I've never really played MMO's before so it's been a big hassle trying to change the controls to something workable for a singleplayer RPG style, and trying to get used to the occasional lag when I'm alone in a mission not expecting that.

I've only fallen through the world and had to task-manager-kill the game once so far. There's no save and quit or restart mission option, but fortunately it restarted me at the beginning of the mission I believe.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Yup, though I've never really played MMO's before so it's been a big hassle trying to change the controls to something workable for a singleplayer RPG style, and trying to get used to the occasional lag when I'm alone in a mission not expecting that.

I've only fallen through the world and had to task-manager-kill the game once so far. There's no save and quit or restart mission option, but fortunately it restarted me at the beginning of the mission I believe.

cool :) I've been looking for someone to play it with, but apparently no one here plays it or something :p dunno

Hugstable

Banned
yo I'm about to spank dunder in speedrunners, anyone else wants to get spanked with him? we got 2 slots

Edit: ok nvm we got ppl

If you guys need someone in like 15 minutes I'll jump in for some speedrunning. I've barely played, but I think I understand the game pretty well :D

Corpekata

Banned
Given that DS4 is not really officially supported by many games, you won't see PS button prompts in many. The only ones you really will see them in are titles made after the DS4 (Shovel Knight, Transistor, Mercenary Kings). I'm sure there's a few mods out there too for specific games.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Just finished Sniper Elite III. Never played the previous entries so I was eager to try this one out. I was pretty disappointed with it to be honest. Here's my worthless opinion about it that probably everyone will ignore.

It's pretty ironic that a game with "Sniper" in it's title completely discourages you from using the particular weapon. This is primarily a stealth game, and in most cases using the Sniper will either expose you to your enemies or force you to run around and relocate if you want to keep a low profile, which is also a huge problem as each level has very few sniping spots and most of the time moving between them is not an option.
It's way easier (and probably more enjoyable) to ignore the Sniper altogether and only use it when it's really needed.
The AI is braindead and completely unreliable, it's funny to abuse it but after realizing that it fails to provide you with a challenge the whole game becomes a chore . Also the detection system is similar to the one of Hitman Absolution, which I deeply hated
The levels may be big and open ended but the player movement and interaction with the environment is limited which kinda kills what Rebellion was aiming for.
The story is nothing special, and the game is too short for any character or plot development to happen

The whole slow-mo x-ray deaths gimmick is fun but it's novelty wears off after the first few levels.
The lack of weapon variety is laughable and as expected Rebellion is going to milk the game hard with DLC. They already have released tons of DLC even though the game is a few weeks old

Can't say that it was worth the 11 keys I paid for it. You can probably get it for much cheaper if you search for an AMD code but even then it's not worth the price.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It would probably give you a "stomache". (sic)
And "in the meanwhile within the village" they would constantly "look over you to make sure you don't do anything fiendish
and all that."
The writing in this thing is really fucking horrible.

I really want to like Sekai Project because they're bringing more VNs to Steam, and that's a good thing in my opinion. But their translations are so bad that it feels like it's never been through editing.

For example, there's a kinetic novel called Planetarian coming to Steam in the future. From what I've seen, it's well liked, and there's already an English patch floating around the net. Sekai Project are releasing their own version on Steam. This is one of the promo screenshots on their website:

Now, I haven't played the fan patch, so that screenshot might be from that or it might be an early example of what SP are going for. But it just feels so sterile and dull. At least it's not broken English like most of Sakura Spirit though.

At least the quality of the English patch for a certain alpaca related game will be more or less the same when SP publishes it. I can't see them doing a better job than this.

Or this.

Nooo :(

btw. I just looked in to the Community Hub of Go! Go! Nippon, everything's filled with random anime gifs hahaha

Random anime gifs and two screenshots, mostly :p

Okay, it's that time of day again. I'm looking for help with something I'm programming.

Go here: http://steamcommunity.com/tradeoffer/new/?partner=39319009&token=RgrcNlJZ
If the link does not work, I've gotten enough help, thanks. Please use this link and not my profile or the Steam client.

Once you're here:
Offer me a trade. Please include a message with the trade. What the message says is not important.

If your username starts from A-M: Offer me anywhere from 1-5 items, whichever you want. If you have a mix of game items, cards, emoticons, coupons, and game gifts, that would be ideal. I will decline the offer. If by some technical fluke I accidentally accept the offer (this will not happen), I will immediately give the items back to you. If my code turns sentient and accepts a game gift, I will buy you another copy of the game to replace the lost item.

If your username starts with N-Z: Offer me any one junk item, but ask for at least one of my items in return. I will decline 100% of these offers.

If you don't know what your username is: Try not to forget how to breathe, but in the mean time, just do one of the two things above, it doesn't matter which one.

Thanks. I will edit out the link in about 15-20 minutes, because I only need a few trade offers at this point. :)

Sent an offer to help out.

edit: that feel when I forgot to send a message :/

incompetence wooooo

Been reading a lot about Civ 5 recently so I deceded to finaly buy the Brave New World expansion so I can get started on it, as it's been sitting in my Steam back log for ages.

Found it cheapest on GamesRocket, a site that's not blacklisted on here and is listed on IsThereAnyDeal.com so I thought it would be safe to use... well, they've take the £10.95 from me via PayPal and then decide to tell me there's a problem with my order and are with holding the expansion pack from me.

Okay, it's that time of day again. I'm looking for help with something I'm programming.

Go here: http://steamcommunity.com/tradeoffer/new/?partner=39319009&token=RgrcNlJZ
If the link does not work, I've gotten enough help, thanks. Please use this link and not my profile or the Steam client.

Once you're here:
Offer me a trade. Please include a message with the trade. What the message says is not important.

If your username starts from A-M: Offer me anywhere from 1-5 items, whichever you want. If you have a mix of game items, cards, emoticons, coupons, and game gifts, that would be ideal. I will decline the offer. If by some technical fluke I accidentally accept the offer (this will not happen), I will immediately give the items back to you. If my code turns sentient and accepts a game gift, I will buy you another copy of the game to replace the lost item.

If your username starts with N-Z: Offer me any one junk item, but ask for at least one of my items in return. I will decline 100% of these offers.

If you don't know what your username is: Try not to forget how to breathe, but in the mean time, just do one of the two things above, it doesn't matter which one.

Thanks. I will edit out the link in about 15-20 minutes, because I only need a few trade offers at this point. :)
I participated for you. Sentcha a coupon and some dumb Counter Strike emote. :p

Ifrit

I personally have two rules for this giveaway (and you must obey them if you enter):

1) I don't care if you're embarrassed by the game or don't want it, you enter the giveaway, so you have to keep it (that means no giving it away)!
2) Post a screenshot of the gift message whenever you open the gift, so everyone knows what game you got!

EDIT: The only reason I put the first rule is because I have given stuff away before and have seen people selling it on the B/S/T Thread (and when people do that, it honestly pisses me off)

entered :)

SSPssp

Once you're here:

Sent a junk item for trade. Whoops, forgot to send a message. Will redo.
Edit: nm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom