• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teppic

Come get some.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Teppic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shadow Warrior Classic Redux -- MB-934DEF7EF2ECE68E - Taken by Sub Zero. 5 entrants total.
Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition -- MB-2A1B47A67607649A - Taken by Hugstable. 2 entrants total.

t1405278447z1.png

Vuze

Does somebody know which accent Toad in Wolf Among Us has? I really like it. I'm no native speaker so please bear with me if it's obvious :>
Sample from within the games first two minutes: http://youtu.be/NUk8l9egg0M?t=2m15s

Well shit, I guess I spoiled me regarding Toad when searching for the sample. Screw you too, auto suggestions. ._.'

This may seem to be coming out of nowhere but, while reading through some of the thread dedicated to Durante's downsampling tool, I have suddenly become very annoyed that Halo CE is not available for purchase digitally. It's such a no brainer that I had to double check Steam's library to be sure it hadn't just slipped my notice.

aku:jiki

So, I just finished Lifeless Planet. While I don't feel like I want my 4 hours back, I do think it was pretty much an exercise in pointlessness. It does go somewhere and it does have a story, but I felt meh about the whole thing in the end.

Not sure if I'm right since it's all so vague, but my interpretation of the story is
that it's all a metaphor for the guy's depression after he lost his wife. That's why you see a spectral hospital bed early in the game, and the fall he takes while failing to save his wife in the dream sequence is his fall from grace. The ending is him accepting her death and moving on, hence the bright future image. The russian girl is his wife and she constantly slips out of his grasp, and the ending with her fusing with nature is her metaphorical burial.

So, okay, pretentious story and stuff. Gameplay itself is fine and the jetpack controls are decent fun to mess around with, even if the platforming sections are all very easy. Almost all of the puzzles are easy and immediately obvious too, I only had trouble with one.

The cardinal sin, though, is that the game punishes you for exploring. It's an exploration game! But, no, veering off the highlighted path (it's basically neon arrows telling you where to go at all times) means instant death in 90% of all cases, while 5% gives you a hidden mineral or bit of backstory and the last 5% is just nothing so you have to trek all the way there and back for no reason. You quickly end up saying fuck it and just walk straight on, following the neon hours, instead of investigating this strange planet.

I guess, in summary, the only reason I don't hate it is because I'm a scifi dreamer geek who loves exploring alien planets and stuff. If not for that, the game would probably be entirely useless.

I watched KOF and BBCP both at the same time but i only payed attention to the Blazblue one since the other one was so boring. lol

I am in a fighting game mood now...
Someone needs to come beat me at AE. All the cool console kids have Ultra Street Fighter 4 already....

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've posted about it before, but I'm pretty sure this summer sale item is going to get rare at some point.

I crafted one during the sale and they went for $.50 then. Prices have been steadily creeping up the last couple weeks. As far as I can tell there are a finite number of these, too.

Turfster

I really want to like Sekai Project because they're bringing more VNs to Steam, and that's a good thing in my opinion. But their translations are so bad that it feels like it's never been through editing.
The worst part is that Sakura Spirit is supposed to be from an English-speaking group.
The fact that they put it out like that, without even bothering to proofread it apparently, is damning.

AHA-Lambda

Had to say just rewatched The Grand Budapest Hotel, still love that movie even the second time :)

Do you recommend anything on this list?

I enjoyed Consortium, kinda of like if a Telltale game had a choice mechanic that was more akin to the organic nature present in Deus Ex than the explicit nature presented in TWD or TWAU. Very interesting.

Nzyme32

Just beat HL1. IT was pretty fun, some parts were annoying but otherwise I enjoyed the game. Should I play the two side stories?

I really enjoyed Opposing Force. Bit of a wonky beginning but just got better and better. Not as good as HL1 but worth a spin in my opinion. Blue shift, felt a bit of a chore for a few parts.

If you haven't played HL2 and it's episodes, you are in for a treat. Lots of fun

Enco

Trying to get through Valiant Hearts and it's pretty hard.

I loved the trailer and the beginning of the game but I'm in chapter 2 now and it's becoming a bit of a drag. It's not really serious any more and the gameplay is repetitive and annoying.

AHA-Lambda

There are other real choices too, like
rigging the elections
, but I feel like the one you mentioned is probably the best usage of moral choice in the game.

As someone that's played the game twice through doing different choices, I feel like it suffers from the same problems as a David Cage game, well minus the terrible plot contrivances: there are so many non-choices that become incredibly obvious when you go through the game multiple times, or at the very least reload and choose a different option.

I feel like that's the point though, in light of the ending. But I'd prefer a game focused on morality and choices have actual choices that impact the narrative of the game greater than it did in ASM.

The best part is that the choice at the end of the game actually alters the outcome of the ending :p

It's one of the few things you can do that greatly alters the ending, the other major choice being
the part where you talk to the mom in the endgame and she questions your actions
, at least I think. I've seen some of the racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. stuff, but they only really appear if you go with certain characters, and most of those instances aren't really too major. It's another part of the game that kinda feels unfulfilled.

It's interesting to see your take on it too, and shows some vindication in my thoughts, the David Cage comparison does feel quite apt actually. Much like a David Cage game actually, I feel there is half a good story but alot of other shit that really weighs it down, along with the "non choices" present, and that's even from a superficial look/first playthrough in that regard. It's sad but I really only felt that it was the end of the game that delivered really on the promise of the moral choice nature the game promised.

With reference to the
elections
you mentioned, I still don't feel that's a particularly strong choice. From my playthrough at least
I wasn't given a choice moreso my character agreed for me then I could just quite out of it afterwards
. That's not a choice that's a failure state where I just miss out on story, reward and the branching narrative then just moves on regardless of the outcome really, you just move on to the next town and no more is brought up about it.

1JN3L5h.jpg

Thanks Cheddaz! Jokes on you, I actually wanted to play it! :p

Damn, wish I entered now :p

pahamrick

Wow, I just got the old GTA Complete pack from Dispenser.tf, the one that has GTA1 and GTA2.

Guess I got the luck of the draw when I grabbed one at random.

damn man so I just got back from playing speedrunners with dunder, nbnt, and nabs. god damn dunder is a freaking monster in that game. he won all of em except for one time where nabs one. Even went as far as to troll us >.> BUT WHEN HE LEFT THO, I gave nbnt that work.
Driving back from NYC. At a service area. Three more long hours

woah yGray you were in NYC? you should've hit me up. I live there D:

AHA-Lambda

Was there a GB QL that made you interested?

I'm surprised cheddahz even gave it away.

Nope just waifus :p

Trying to get through Valiant Hearts and it's pretty hard.

I loved the trailer and the beginning of the game but I'm in chapter 2 now and it's becoming a bit of a drag. It's not really serious any more and the gameplay is repetitive and annoying.

Felt the same tbh, game was a real let down. Gmaeplay got too damn tedious too quickly for a game that last about 6 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom