• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

the work done (in this case, the text present) has to be professionally executed. All the typos and errors in the text I'm reading about are really pissing me off. I'm even feeling regret for putting money in the World End Economica Kickstarter.
You'd think so.
The only thing this has achieved, is to poison the well for further Sekai Project releases.
Well done, dumbasses.
Maybe next time, spend a couple of hours to edit the script.

Blizzard

Banned
I agree with him too, but I'm going to be mad that I didn't think of doing as low effort as this if these 'devs' actually turn a profit. :/
Speaking as a developer myself (both hobbyist and for a living), I do think people underestimate the amount of effort required to make even something simple and silly. For anyone interested in trying something like this, I highly recommend doing a game jam, such as the Ludum Dare that happens a few times a year, to get a feel for what's involved (and maybe decide you want to do such a project yourself).

And regardless of how much effort is involved, if people enjoy it and buy it, isn't that the point of entertainment? No game is going to appeal to everyone, and if there's a market that enjoys a certain silly / low-budget style of game, I don't think it hurts anyone else. If anything, it only increases the variety of games that are available. The small teams involved in making games like this do not take anything or anyone away from the much larger teams making the normal major commercial releases.

It may also be important to note that Goat Simulator actually DID start as a joke / game jam prototype. The reason it was released as a game was because it was popular and people liked it. The developer actually listened to the players, and gave them what they wanted. I consider that pro-consumer -- wouldn't you normally expect developers/publishers to ignore player requests?

zychi

Banned
I suspect someone who's way better at driver-writing than me will do it pretty quickly.

However, if there's still no Windows driver 6 months after this adapter releases, someone PM me and remind me of this post, and I'll certainly try to do it myself.

There's a knockoff version on Amazon that works great. Just plug in play with Dolphin.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RLWF7I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I use it all the time depending on what emulator/old console game I now play on steam.

Mono

Speaking as a developer myself (both hobbyist and for a living), I do think people underestimate the amount of effort required to make even something simple and silly. For anyone interested in trying something like this, I highly recommend doing a game jam, such as the Ludum Dare that happens a few times a year, to get a feel for what's involved (and maybe decide you want to do such a project yourself).

And regardless of how much effort is involved, if people enjoy it and buy it, isn't that the point of entertainment? No game is going to appeal to everyone, and if there's a market that enjoys a certain silly / low-budget style of game, I don't think it hurts anyone else. If anything, it only increases the variety of games that are available. The small teams involved in making games like this do not take anything or anyone away from the much larger teams making the normal major commercial releases.

It may also be important to note that Goat Simulator actually DID start as a joke / game jam prototype. The reason it was released as a game was because it was popular and people liked it. The developer actually listened to the players, and gave them what they wanted. I consider that pro-consumer -- wouldn't you normally expect developers/publishers to ignore player requests?

I definitely agree with you! I'm more talking about the ones like Black Screen Simulator, even though that one doesn't cost anything! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=284040477

It takes an insane amount of work to program a game, and I have a lot of respect for devs who are able to make them! I don't have a problem with things like Goat Simulator and Surgeon Simulator, more with things like Black Screen Simulator that are just funny to hear about but require nothing to make.

I suppose if people end up selling things Black Screen Simulator and making money, then good for them?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

The point is, the simulators up on Greenlight are not only garbage, but jokes. They aren't real. They're never going to come out. They aren't going to be available on any sort of market, nor will they be available to download, because they aren't real.

Not only that, but things like Water Simulator and Blue Screen simulator 2014 are quickly put together jokes that miss the point of what Goat Simulator was trying to do in the first place, if they are in fact real games and not just worthless little parodies of actual good games like they appear to be.

I'd also like to point out that these joke Greenlight entries are serving as ads for other Greenlight submissions. For example, this is at the end of the Blue Screen Simulator 2014 page.

KpSvnjO.png

Blizzard

Banned
The point is, the simulators up on Greenlight are not only garbage, but jokes. They aren't real. They're never going to come out. They aren't going to be available on any sort of market, nor will they be available to download, because they aren't real.

Not only that, but things like Water Simulator and Blue Screen simulator 2014 are quickly put together jokes that miss the point of what Goat Simulator was trying to do in the first place, if they are in fact real games and not just worthless little parodies of actual good games like they appear to be.

I'd also like to point out that these joke Greenlight entries are serving as ads for other Greenlight submissions. For example, this is at the end of the Blue Screen Simulator 2014 page.

KpSvnjO.png
Thanks, that's a good point. I didn't realize stuff like that ad link actually existed. D:

Anyone thinks that Tekken 7 will be released on Steam? Harada said "any plattform we desire" and I am sure he means the PC with it, since it wouldnt be a surprise to see it on Xbox One and PS4.

Anyone thinks that Tekken 7 will be released on Steam? Harada said "any plattform we desire" and I am sure he means the PC with it, since it wouldnt be a surprise to see it on Xbox One and PS4.

I sure hope so. I'm just afraid that in the end 'any platform we want' will end up being handhelds and mobile phones with IAP because they might think there's more money in that than on PC

Tizoc

I sure hope so. I'm just afraid that in the end 'any platform we want' will end up being handhelds and mobile phones with IAP because they might think there's more money in that than on PC

Not with Harada on the helm. The only DLC that Tekken Tag 2 got were for extra music and the endings from T1-6, no character or costume DLCs.

T7 COULD come to Steam/PC but we'll just have to wait and see for that to happen.

dot

Oh man....i'm gonna freak out so bad if it came to steam. I hope that is what Harada is alluding to.

I love Tekken!

Cheddahz

Banned

All I know is that if it doesn't come out for the PC, I'll drop the money for a new system

MadGear

Could also refer to cross-gen-portability which is probably their primary reason to go with this engine. But since Dark Souls I and II didn't do that bad on Steam Namco might be more open to fund PC ports of their upcoming games. Personally however I remain skeptical.

def sim

I hope so! PC is the only platform I plan to keep using a stick on.

They're super expensive on the new consoles and the one I have still works wonderfully.

Nzyme32

I think so. When Harada says that using UE4 allows them to put it on "any platform they desire" is seems pretty certain to be Xbox One, PS4 and PC. In terms of PC, UE4 should make it really simple to make it for Windows, Mac and even Linux/SteamOS if they want to.

A guy in the other thread also claimed that yesterday, Harada was on the Evo Stream talking about previous Tekens. He then talked about his "new game" and how previous games were all developed on Playstation for arcades and then ported to consoles. He then said his "new game" is being developed on PC... he was also pretty enthusiastic about PC so..

MadGear

Anyone find BioShock Infinite story boring? Im trying to get through the game but I can't do more than an hour at a time.

Just beat the game a couple of days ago and yes ... didn't find the story engaging at all. Don't want to rant about it because i would end up spoiling stuff but I too expected a lot more out of the story. I liked the ending however, surprised that so many hated on it.

Nabs

I think so. When Harada says that using UE4 allows them to put it on "any platform they desire" is seems pretty certain to be Xbox One, PS4 and PC. In terms of PC, UE4 should make it really simple to make it for Windows, Mac and even Linux/SteamOS if they want to.

A guy in the other thread also claimed that yesterday, Harada was on the Evo Stream talking about previous Tekens. He then talked about his "new game" and how previous games were all developed on Playstation for arcades and then ported to consoles. He then said his "new game" is being developed on PC... he was also pretty enthusiastic about PC so..

+He's a pretty big Steam user.

Hugstable

Banned
I'm still waiting for my CSGO case to sell so I can afford the Gage Weapons Pack #1 lol

Try lowering it a bit. Fastest way to sell is to undercut by a few cents. I'll give you the link to where I traded on TF2outpost also. Dude has a whole bunch set up on Dispenser.tf bot to sell Armored Transport and other DLC for 1 key, just doesn't have Big Bank.

Mono

Anyone find BioShock Infinite story boring? Im trying to get through the game but I can't do more than an hour at a time.

I played through it in short bursts, too, but mostly because I don't like FPS games. The story was kind of a cookie cutter
time travel
plot, but the environment and immersion kept me playing, like all Bioshock games.

L.O.R.D

hmmm, i don't know if i should buy Deus Ex: Human Revolution or not
why there is no version with all the DLC in it ?

even if i bought it, i don't think i am gonna play it, i just installed Saint Row 4 and already playing wolf among us and Farcry 3 blood dragoon
the fact the game is an FPS and stealth game , make me more away from it

pKSlqny.png

When we are playing: Estimate Time
t1405294200z4.png

Information

Different game for next week?
I've been thinking of switching the games up next weekend. Same casual enviornment.
Please vote here.
If you have suggestions for another game, PM here on GAF or through Steam. It doesn't have to be a Valve game or even a steam game. However, I will have to look up the logistics of setting it up.

I've also made a NeoGAF Games Night to help better organize this and alert people when we are starting. PM me or anyone in the group on steam for an invite.

kudoboi

I rarely play more than 1 hr per session for most games. Hell... I can't play valiant hearts for more than 40 minutes without feeling bored. The only game that I recently played in a long session was watch dogs where I spent 3 to 4 hours each session

pKSlqny.png

When we are playing: Estimate Time
t1405294200z4.png

Information

Different game for next week?
I've been thinking of switching the games up next weekend. Same casual enviornment.
Please vote here.
If you have suggestions for another game, PM here on GAF or through Steam. It doesn't have to be a Valve game or even a steam game. However, I will have to look up the logistics of setting it up.

I've also made a NeoGAF Games Night to help better organize this and alert people when we are starting. PM me or anyone in the group on steam for an invite.

I'll be there to kick your asses :p

Can someone plz invite me to the group :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom