• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

unlike most of you, I don't give a damn about errors if text is comprehensible. People make mistakes, I make them too, a lot, in fact, so I'm understanding and forgiving.

I've found a lot of typos in actual printed novels, and they don't really hinder my enjoyment if their level is kept at minimum. aku:jiki is speaking about bad grammar, bad wordflow and other things like that, which are usually taken care of during editing. VNs from what I seen generally don't do that step and this really makes them painful to read at times. You can check some actual pre/post edited texts here.

Another example: You say you like the picture from the game. Aku:jiki is saying he could like the picture, if it hadn't been saved as a 16 colour 30% quality JPG with excessive quantization and color banding - something that makes it unbearable to him.

also... even if I haven't played ME2, I played other two games, and I just can't believe that ME2 is so much better. Not talking about quality of writing techniques, but about content, because that what matters for me.

I'm talking about writing, actually. I know some/many people don't like ME2 for variety of reasons, but it had a posse of characters I actually cared for (versus, I don't know, Wrex and Garrus from ME1). Usually a sign of good writing chops.

Autofokus

ahh, back from the dead after yesterdays world cup final.

feelsgoodmangwddh.jpg

Arthea

I've found a lot of typos in actual printed novels, and they don't really hinder my enjoyment if their level is kept at minimum. aku:jiki is speaking about bad grammar, bad wordflow and other things like that, which are usually taken care of during editing. VNs from what I seen generally don't do that step and this really makes them painful to read at times. You can check some actual pre/post edited texts here.

Another example: You say you like the picture from the game. Aku:jiki is saying he could like the picture, if it hadn't been saved as a 16 colour 30% quality JPG with excessive quantization and color banding - something that makes it unbearable to him.

I'm talking about writing, actually. I know some/many people don't like ME2 for variety of reasons, but it had a posse of characters I actually cared for (versus, I don't know, Wrex and Garrus from ME1). Usually a sign of good writing chops.
There is one thing you forget, language in general is agreement or convention, nothing is set in stone, contrary to popular belief. Languages are changing, grammar is changing, we hardly can understand people that talked the same language but lived long before us. Then there is issue of regional versions of language, the same language can be a lot different.
It's the main reason why I don't understand this constant whining about writing. Do you live in some sterile flask? Just go to the street, any street and listen how people talk. Not up to your language standards? bad luck

Not saying that people shouldn't try to avoid mistakes, but also I know that's not possible. I worked some in book making business and I know that how many editors are there, the same amount of different opinions on what and how has to be edited exists. It's true, believe me. Language isn't precise science or anything, it's more about talent than anything else ;)

Hey, now, be cool...
what now?
all that was really uncalled, but be as you wish, I'll stop making my stupid comments! You can post whatever you wish, freely now
damn if your post wasn't extremely ironic (><)

aku:jiki

I don't believe it's about standards, it's about attitude and perspective. Also it's genuinely funny, that you perceive yourself as easygoing (><)
Hey, now, be cool. You should probably recognize that you don't know me at all. I make posts about Binding of Isaac, troll VNs and occasionally attempt serious posts about games I'm playing. You'd have to be stupid to think that's the sum total of my personality, and I don't think you're stupid so don't say stupid things.

Knurek is pretty much handling the rest of my response aside from the fact that I find text style to be pretty important too. Like I remarked on Soul Gambler yesterday; it gets its message across and the grammar is fine, but with dialogue not spoken by any human being ever. If you're not sensitive to textual style, you might not notice and instead just take in the information presented, but if you are into the style aspect, it's awful and terrible.

Of course each is about on par with something from a pulp novel, leagues below writers like Vonnegut, Stephenson or Lem. But then, no one should expect great prose from a game.
Well, why not? I guess we can't expect it, due to the general low quality, but why not hope for it?

Sky Chief

Finished all of the Blackwell games except for the newest one, Blackwell Epiphany (which looks like the best one yet!). Very solid point-and-clicks; I liked them a lot. I think my favorite one is either Blackwell Deception or the one with Lauren as the main character, but I might just like Deception the most because I played it first?

I can't wait to play Epiphany now! Hopefully the winter sale will knock down the price a bit.

Me too, my favorite has been the third one (Blackwell Convergence) so far. I just bit the bullet and bought Epiphany and it is on a whole new level compared to the other games, really incredible so far!

Is there a set order or should the games be played by order of release?

I would say order of release.

hold on a sec...
there is 30% voucher that should work with that
0J6TL4-KDGHYO-O7AW3K
I haven't tried, but it should, as DS2 is one of the games this voucher is for. Full list:
Dark Souls 2
GRID Autosport
Pro Cycling Manager 2014
Sniper Elite 3
Spintires
Valiant Hearts - The Great War

it's madly tempting, but as I not gonna play any of those any time soon, I can wait.
only these are about to expire, so if you gonna take advantage, do it soon.

Voucher doesn't seem to work on DS2 season pass.

Knurek

Well, why not? I guess we can't expect it, due to the general low quality, but why not hope for it?

As much as I like reading, I don't think a good prose is a requirement for an enjoyable videogame. I'd much rather play things like Crimzon Clover or One Finger Death Punch than a VN penned by Michael Chabon.

aku:jiki

As much as I like reading, I don't think a good prose is a requirement for an enjoyable videogame. I'd much rather play things like Crimzon Clover or One Finger Death Punch than a VN penned by Michael Chabon.
Well, naturally, I play very story-light games too, but the conversation is about story-heavy games (specifically Cinders). Then again, even a game with only a couple of sentences of narration per level (i.e. Thomas Was Alone) benefits from nice writing.

I'm now back at €1 card money, as soon as I hit €10 I'm getting Clover. The Ys sale ruined my plan and stole my previous €10. :(

Escape Goat is a must-own.
Even if one doesn't like puzzle platformers, the soundtrack alone makes it a must.

Ozium

I did. I ran around and pretended to be an airplane by myself, my plane noises solemnly echoing through the empty halls.

me too, but that's what I mean... I'm sure we have enough people to set up a game sometime and can actually attempt playing it for real.. I haven't loaded it up since I tried it that one time

AngerdX

Ok finally got around to start up Payday2, so soloing for a start doable?

And if i remember someone said not to bring ai as they suck majorly?

Hmm first skillpoint Mastermind right hehe

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Ok finally got around to start up Payday2, so soloing for a start doable?

And if i remember someone said not to bring ai as they suck majorly?

Hmm first skillpoint Mastermind right hehe

The AI is terribly, terribly stupid. I thought people were exaggerating but after I did a few offline heists I witnessed how horrible it is. They basically only shoot, they can't even pick up money bags or deploy health/ammo kits. I think it's better to just play without them and try to learn the level's layouts or how to stealth them, without even completing the heists

The AI is terribly, terribly stupid. I thought people were exaggerating but after I did a few offline heists I witnessed how horrible it is. They basically only shoot, they can't even pick up money bags or deploy health/ammo kits. I think it's better to just play without them and try to learn the level's layouts or how to stealth them, without even completing the heists

They dont die and have infinite ammo. Whats so bad about that?

F-Pina

This week I launch my first game on Steam. To celebrate my happiness and that of all the team (except maybe for some grumpy guy) I am giving away my precious baby in the form of 3 Steam keys! Specially manufactured (not really) for all the kind folks here at Steam-GAF!
All you have to do is answer 2 of 3 questions correctly!

screenshot_anim_05.gif

The questions are!
1 - What is the first name of Detective Case?
2 - Who is the man at the Piano inside GAF Bar?
3 - What is at the end of room 404 in Hotel Lisbon?

PM me with the results, the first 3 guys to do it win this steamy competition.
If someone gets all 3 answers correctly I will personally send through my Steam account an awesome Clown Bot wallpaper! WOW!
Will post the results right away so I stop getting PMs on my mailbox :p

Tips!
Since the questions are hard as bricks, here are some nice tips to at least get 2 answers.
- One answer you can get by looking carefully at the Steam store page!
- One answer you can get by watching the trailer!
- One answer you can only get by playing the game!

You guys haven't yet clicked on the "wish" button on the Steam Page to help us out? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

steam_train.png

Special thanks to More_Badass for putting us on original Steam OP!

Knurek

This week I launch my first game on Steam. To celebrate my happiness and that of all the team (except maybe for some grumpy guy) I am giving away my precious baby in the form of 3 Steam keys! Specially manufactured (not really) for all the kind folks here at Steam-GAF!

Good luck with sales. I must say the game looks absolutely stunning, hopefully it plays this way as well. Did GOG came around their decision not to carry you?

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Congratulations! I entered, hope I've got the two questions I knew right! The game looks fantastic, hope it does well for you!

Jawmuncher

All you have to do is answer 2 of 3 questions correctly!

screenshot_anim_05.gif

The questions are!
1 - What is the first name of Detective Case?
2 - Who is the man at the Piano inside GAF Bar?
3 - What is at the end of room 404 in Hotel Lisbon?

PM me with the results, the first 3 guys to do it win this steamy competition.
If someone gets all 3 answers correctly I will personally send through my Steam account an awesome Clown Bot wallpaper! WOW!
Will post the results right away so I stop getting PMs on my mailbox :p

Tips!
Since the questions are hard as bricks, here are some nice tips to at least get 2 answers.
- One answer you can get by looking carefully at the Steam store page!
- One answer you can get by watching the trailer!
- One answer you can only get by playing the game!

You guys haven't yet clicked on the "wish" button on the Steam Page to help us out? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

steam_train.png

Special thanks to More_Badass for putting us on original Steam OP!

Awesome

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Wow, I managed to sell a profile background on Steam for 38p. That's about 65c! I think every other background I've seen has gone for 3p. What are people doing buying backgrounds when Enhanced Steam exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom