• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
ok i was gonna go sleep alright but this one really hurt

ibjsRVvPPyNkoP.gif

Monooboe

I know this is Steam thread. But do people still play Titanfall? It seem to have fallen off the face of the earth..

I downloaded the 48h trial but haven't started it yet, will dedicate a weekend to it soon. I do keep hearing good things about it from people who do play it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
balance you say?
does it have the same amount of fanservice? no, don't post pics, please!

When I started it I was playing DOS and Banished, no less!, still I finished Cinders in couple of days without even remembering to get back to other games (><)
Then again, Cinders is just my thing, as I like mature versions of Fairy Tales, be it movies or books or VNs. Not sure why, it just there is something really charming about grown up childish memories.

edited: I also wish that Snow White and the Huntsman was a good movie (._.)

Well, I think I can sum it up best with three words from the trailer.

"Undies only mode."

You think 3 games is bad, try balancing out 10+ games that you randomly switch back and forth between >_>

Arthea

I just noticed that there is 25% coupon (ALIENI-SOLATI-ON25PC) that works for Ultra Street Fighter IV Upgrade (credit can't be used with it), but as it's 25% ... it was too tempting for me to pass.

Well, I think I can sum it up best with three words from the trailer.

"Undies only mode."

You think 3 games is bad, try balancing out 10+ games that you randomly switch back and forth between >_>

oh, don't worry about that I play something like 100 games at the same time, just DOS and Banished were top priority (><)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Wanting to get back into street fighter (my last one was 2 on the SNES lol), with the IV Arcade steam version.

How fucked am I without an arcade stick? Is it viable to play with a regular controller (have ds3/360 and Wii U pro available for my pc)

There's nothing stopping people in EuroGAF from setting up stuff too. That's what the group is for.

There is nothing stopping you from creating your own events for other regions such as Europe and Asia.

Ask for admin status with the group creator for that game group and get organised. There are a TON of euro steam users here.

I'll be making a more formal request for admins/facilitators tomorrow morning to help with games night. This games night idea has become really popular and it's getting harder for me to do on my own. If we want to host multiple/different games, I'll need help from others. It would be especially helpful if I could get some admins from the EU/ASIA timezones to help me with games night. PM me here, or on steam if you're interested in helping me set up game times for the group.

aku:jiki

This VN is satisfactory on many levels. It looks nice too, dialogue is good and great at times:
I tried to give it a shot, I really did. The art is nice, I especially thought the art for the little meadow you can visit early on was astounding, but the writing is just terrible. Like all poor writing that thinks it's good, it uses more and bigger words than it should to attempt to sound smarter than it really is, and it all sounds like a teenagers desperate attempt to sound intellectual and articulate. It's unnatural, stilted and robotic and carries an impenetrable air of shallow pretentiousness.

It bears repeating, though, that most of the art is really nice.

Arthea

Wanting to get back into street fighter, with the IV Arcade steam version.

How fucked am I without an arcade stick? Is it viable to play with a regular controller (have ds3/360 and Wii U pro available for my pc)

I can't play most fighting games with controller, and Odin is my witness, I tried. For some reason I have no issue playing DoA with controller, but any PC fighting game is no go and as I don't have arcade stick too, I stick to keyboard controls, especially if I can customize them, and usually I can.
Then again, I'm not good enough for competitive fighting gaming, so you can disregard of what I said (><)

Mono

I'll be making a more formal request for admins/facilitators tomorrow morning to help with games night. This games night idea has become really popular and it's getting harder for me to do on my own. If we want to host multiple/different games, I'll need help from others. It would be especially helpful if I could get some admins from the EU/ASIA timezones to help me with games night. PM me here, or on steam if you're interested in helping me set up game times for the group.

I'm usually in BST, but am in EST at the moment! :( But I'd love to help if you need someone!

Sarcasm

I reside in Taiwan, but I am a native English speaker. Does this require for you to actually play with them or just help set up?

Arthea

I tried to give it a shot, I really did. The art is nice, I especially thought the art for the little meadow you can visit early on was astounding, but the writing is just terrible. Like all poor writing that thinks it's good, it uses more and bigger words than it should to attempt to sound smarter than it really is, and it all sounds like a teenagers desperate attempt to sound intellectual and articulate. It's unnatural, stilted and robotic and carries an impenetrable air of shallow pretentiousness.

It bears repeating, though, that most of the art is really nice.

oh man, you are so deeply maximalist, so "the world is black and white" person, that it makes me almost sure you are teenager yourself, no offence intended ;)

edited: again just curious, can you give example of good writing (in games), in your opinion?

Mono

Gayest game ever made? They're gonna have to work pretty hard to prove that!

WsfNrk6.jpg

...Holy hell.

66yfxRu.gif

Wanting to get back into street fighter (my last one was 2 on the SNES lol), with the IV Arcade steam version.

Not too sure about SFIV specifically, but I know people play competitive fighting games with Dualshocks!

I reside in Taiwan, but I am a native English speaker. Does this require for you to actually play with them or just help set up?

It would depend on the game you want to host. The way I've been doing CS:GO currently, I've created a lobby where everyone joins me and then we find a server using public matchmaking. Once we have servers of our own you would only need to facilitate a time and moderate the server.

For games like DOTA2 or Starcraft II you would need to create a private lobby and allow gaffers to join you.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I don't play MP Valve games except L4D2 but I'm always up for any other game.

I'm mostly interested in Payday 2 but I'm also looking to play Rust, Chivalry, Garry's Mod/TTT etc

It would also be a good idea to set up some MP matches for cheap bundlegames that most people have, like Blade Symphony

saunderez

Been playing Deponia Complete and really enjoying it. Game is beautiful, voice acting is great and Rufus is my favourite type of character - the fuckup who causes the problems he eventually tries to solve whilst fucking things up for everyone else. I'm 1/3 of the way through the first game so there's a hell of a lot to go but it's got off to a great start. Scroll wheel inventory works really well too. Well worth the ridiculously low price it's available for from the ruskis.

Arthea

Why? It's free, it's popular, it's free, it has survival, and did I mention it's free?

IDK, I'm most likely missing something vital here, but as I said earlier, I don't see appeal at all, I mean like zero, nada, zilch, almost as much aku sees in VNs. (><)

edited: repeating for a new page as it is the best deal we had as far as I know
There is 25% coupon (ALIENI-SOLATI-ON25PC) that works for Ultra Street Fighter IV Upgrade (credit can't be used with it).

aku:jiki

oh man, you are so deeply maximalist, so "the world is black and white" person, that it makes me almost sure you are teenager yourself, no offence intended ;)

edited: again just curious, can you give example of good writing (in games), in your opinion?
Far from it! Beneath this forum exterior of troll posts or faux-rage posts about bad games, I'm one of the most easygoing and compromising guys you'd ever meet. It's just that I've been gaming for 25 years, have played tens of thousands of games and spent 5 years working full time as a reviewer. I've come to demand a certain level of quality in a game, and "good enough" isn't good enough for me anymore. I can be flexible, of course, and who cares that the story in Gears of War doesn't make any sense? That game is about chainsawing aliens in the fucking face. VNs, though, are all about the text. If that's not good, what's the point?

My go-to example for good writing, of games I've played this year, is Thomas Was Alone. It's humane and touching, and manages speak volumes without saying too much. The script constantly and consistently makes me smile.

As one of my favorite non-gaming examples, this is the entirety of the best story in the world:
"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

Milamber

IDK, I'm most likely missing something vital here, but as I said earlier, I don't see appeal at all, I mean like zero, nada, zilch, almost as much aku sees in VNs. (><)

Then what other multiplayer game that is easily accessible to everyone, in bandwidth, monetary and library, is there on Steam?

There is 25% coupon (ALIENI-SOLATI-ON25PC) that works for Ultra Street Fighter IV Upgrade (credit can't be used with it).

You dont like Unturned? Sometimes a bad game could end up being fun as hell with the right people.

Dr Dogg

Is that for us Euro folk, a US code or Voucher Code sans Frontiers?

Arthea

Then what other multiplayer game that is easily accessible to everyone, in bandwidth, monetary and library, is there on Steam?

DOTO?
just kidding!

Far from it! Beneath this forum exterior of troll posts or faux-rage posts about bad games, I'm one of the most easygoing and compromising guys you'd ever meet. It's just that I've been gaming for 25 years, have played tens of thousands of games and spent 5 years working full time as a reviewer. I've come to demand a certain level of quality in a game, and "good enough" isn't good enough for me anymore. I can be flexible, of course, and who cares that the story in Gears of War doesn't make any sense? That game is about chainsawing aliens in the fucking face. VNs, though, are all about the text. If that's not good, what's the point?

My go-to example for good writing, of games I've played this year, is Thomas Was Alone. It's humane and touching, and manages speak volumes without saying too much. The script constantly and consistently makes me smile.

As one of my favorite non-gaming examples, this is the entirety of the best story in the world:
"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

I don't believe it's about standards, it's about attitude and perspective. Also it's genuinely funny, that you perceive yourself as easygoing (><)

Well, you pick a good example, but you do understand that Thomas Was Alone is other type of story entirely, not really comparable. VN wouldn't work with such a story, you know that.

Gears is terrible, btw (><)

Is that for us Euro folk, a US code or Voucher Code sans Frontiers?
it worked for me, so Euro folk is definitely welcome to this code

TsuXna

Asia here +5 gmt, i could help tho don't have the best internet right nao.

That's why we should play obscure multiplayer games with little skill required. Like Viscera Cleanup Detail for example.

Or Magicka. Ultimate Chaos in MP games are just hilarious.

I'd be up for some DOTA or CS:GO if I knew how to play either of them. ;_;

You dont have to be an expert in the game. Basic skill/knowledge should be enough. I mean you learn and get better with frequently playing.

Arthea

or we should just buy Rise of the Triad, at least it looks fun!

on second thought, it probably would be a lot of fun to play DOTO with bunch of people that have no idea at all what are they doing (><)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I really do love Pinball FX2. I keep discovering new mini-games or hidden little features. This time I learned you can control a speeder bike and race through the forest of Endor.

Sadly it's control via pinball so I promptly crashed and it reminded me that we still don't have a port of the wonderful Star Wars Trilogy Arcade anywhere, no matter how easy that would be for LucasArts then, Disney now
How do you get to play this? Is it accessible from the menu, or do you have to do something random on the table?

And yes, Trilogy Arcade is amazing. Controlling the lightsaber with the joystick is great, and I loved the space stages.

Knurek

Two games stand out in my recollection, YMMV of course.

Vagrant Story and Mass Effect 2 (Thomas Was Alone is good too). Of course each is about on par with something from a pulp novel, leagues below writers like Vonnegut, Stephenson or Lem. But then, no one should expect great prose from a game.

Incidentally, that Cinders screenshot you posted has a grammatical error (excessive 'A' at start of the third sentence), so as much as it pains me, I should agree with aku:jiki - Cinders (and most other VNs out there) need an additional editing pass.

Arthea

Thinking about buying the DS2 season pass with that GMG voucher.

hold on a sec...
there is 30% voucher that should work with that
0J6TL4-KDGHYO-O7AW3K
I haven't tried, but it should, as DS2 is one of the games this voucher is for. Full list:
Dark Souls 2
GRID Autosport
Pro Cycling Manager 2014
Sniper Elite 3
Spintires
Valiant Hearts - The Great War

it's madly tempting, but as I not gonna play any of those any time soon, I can wait.
only these are about to expire, so if you gonna take advantage, do it soon.

Two games stand out in my recollection, YMMV of course.

Vagrant Story and Mass Effect 2 (Thomas Was Alone is good too). Of course each is about on par with something from a pulp novel, leagues below writers like Vonnegut, Stephenson or Lem. But then, no one should expect great prose from a game.

Incidentally, that Cinders screenshot you posted has a grammatical error (excessive 'A' at start of the third sentence), so as much as it pains me, I should agree with aku:jiki - Cinders (and most other VNs out there) need an additional editing pass.

unlike most of you, I don't give a damn about errors if text is comprehensible. People make mistakes, I make them too, a lot, in fact, so I'm understanding and forgiving.

also... even if I haven't played ME2, I played other two games, and I just can't believe that ME2 is so much better. Not talking about quality of writing techniques, but about content, because that what matters for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom