• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
I have yet to see anyone here say they dislike the game. So what exactly is your understanding of someone might disliking it?

The criticisms I've seen center on the random level design when compared to classic action platformers.

Though the character progression and boss encounters and enemy encounter progression more than make up for it's random design.

Jawmuncher

The criticisms I've seen center on the random level design when compared to classic action platformers.

Though the character progression and boss encounters and enemy encounter progression more than make up for it's random design.

When the game got the SteamGAF GOTY award the main complaint was that you could grind to success. Unlike other games in the genre where skill is what is going to carry you forward. I haven't beaten it yet but I don't mind the grind.

Sendou

I have yet to see anyone here say they dislike the game. So what exactly is your understanding of someone might disliking it?

I remember people being rather upset that it was highly regarded (won?) Steam GAF's GOTY 2013 vote. Maybe it was just a loud minority though. Something about the game being designed around you losing and through grinding finally succeeding. I can totally see why some people would dislike it for that. I don't mind.

aku:jiki

Are you sure you're thinking of Rogue Legacy? I can't quite make sense of that complaint, considering it's not a classic action platformer and has level design pretty much exactly similar to SOTN.

marrec

Banned
Are you sure you're thinking of Rogue Legacy? I can't quite make sense of that complaint, considering it's not a classic action platformer and has level design pretty much exactly similar to SOTN.

I've heard it from a few people who want to compare it to SOTN. I personally love the random design but I can see if someone were to come to the game expecting expertly crafted levels like SOTN being disappointed by the random levels of Rogue Legacy.

BorntoPlay

mirror.gif

this look like a nightmare!!! 0.o

NotSelf

I remember people being rather upset that it was highly regarded (won?) Steam GAF's GOTY 2013 vote. Maybe it was just a loud minority though. Something about the game being designed around you losing and through grinding finally succeeding. I can totally see why some people would dislike it for that. I don't mind.

I can see that point I personally thought it made the acquiring of new abilities that much more fun you achieve something for hard work.

cHinzo

464426b669.jpg

Anyone from SteamGAF up for some Left 4 Dead 2 action? There is this pretty awesome custom campaign called Questionable Ethics which I wanna play with u guys.
Unlike the normal campaigns, this one is full of surprises, pitfalls, lasers, falling objects and a lot more!

Interested?
Download the campaign and double click on the .vpk file to install it or drop it in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\addons
Add me on Steam and we'll see if we can get enough people to play this one.

Available:
-cHinzo
-freshVeggie
-cwmartin
-Uzzy
-Black Soma

t1405368000z0.png

Yakkue

If you're really interested in reading up on it, the discussion mainly happened on this page, and started with this post. Here are some other related posts.

Personally, I had fun for one playthrough, but no real motivation to play the New Game +.

Halo 2

Banned
464426b669.jpg

Anyone from SteamGAF up for some Left 4 Dead 2 action? There is this pretty awesome custom campaign called Questionable Ethics which I wanna play with u guys.
Unlike the normal campaigns, this one is full of surprises, pitfalls, lasers, falling objects and a lot more!

Interested?
Download the campaign and double click on the .vpk file to install it.

I'm totally down to play this when I'm not at work.
*adds friend*

kudoboi

Asia gaf for life!

while i'm from Asia myself... I really hate living in Asia.. specifically south east asia. Many multiplayer games die very quickly here... and by many i mean most... i cannot find a south east asia server for most of the MP games i've tried... including chivalry or killing floor or even L4D2. The only MP game i've played that had a decent MP community for awhile was battlefield 3 and 4. COD BLOPS 2 also had a decent asia community for 3 to 4 months after launch though most were 100+ ping. Titanfall literally died for SEA 2 weeks after launch. I could not find a match outside of attrition and even that was just 1 or 2 lobbies

wilflare

while i'm from Asia myself... I really hate living in Asia.. specifically south east asia. Many multiplayer games die very quickly here... and by many i mean most... i cannot find a south east asia server for most of the MP games i've tried... including chivalry or killing floor or even L4D2. The only MP game i've played that had a decent MP community for awhile was battlefield 3 and 4.

which part of SEA u at?

464426b669.jpg

Interested?
Aded as friend and dl map.
Now to plan time.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits), and the claims won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Battlepaths Gold Edition -- MB-AD6F49C3EF723752 - Taken by liezryou

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits), and the claims won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.
First time I've seen this rule, interesting!

HoosTrax

Just ordered a Wheel Stand Pro for my G27, but I'm hoping it'll be possible to adapt it for use with a HOTAS + rudder pedals setup as well (might need to order a second shifter plate, to have one on each side). Still have to decide what flight stick (X52 Pro? X55 Rhino? Warthog?) to get for X-Plane, FSX, Elite, Star Citizen, etc. I guess there's only one choice (the Saitek pedals) for rudder.

Still, much much nicer to have too many options for games / gear than no options, like not too long ago.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The reason I implemented that rule is because it's always been a pain in the ass to do those ModBot mega trash dump giveaways and this makes it easier for me, and while I'm doing it, it might as well be available to the public, and I sort of felt like it was unfair to have the mega garbage dump giveaways and have them count as wins for winners, when the whole point is that well and truly no one cares if you take theses. I do NOT recommend anyone uses this at all; if you want to just get rid of something, just do a giveaway with no rules. But it's there if you must.

Garbage dump giveaways will have this image attached too:
IiQn4cO.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Rules for this Giveaway:

Did...did my suggestion actually make a difference? :eek:

EDIT: Well, maybe not. :lol

464426b669.jpg

Interested?

Man.. I need to buy Left 4 Dead 2 on steam. I only played on 360 and had no idea about all these custom maps/campaigns.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm impressed with how much I suck in SF IV. Having the hardest time doing basic combos which involves cancelling or linking. Low hard punch into hadouken? Nah ah, aint appening

BruteUA

Hopefully Shadowgate becomes pre-orderable on Steam soon. I'm having a hard time holding back from buying it on the dev's site, all my disposable
M&Ms
money is in my Steam wallet.

Because it was gifted to me in this thread, and I got around to this one just now, I figure I owe you some impressions for this game...mind you, I can't imagine why you'd ask about this one. But still!
Hotel: Collector's Edition

The storyline: Detective Bridget Brightstone, who in the interests of professionalism calls herself Biggi, is called away from her vacation to investigate a robbery in a French hotel. Also some chick in the hotel is now in a coma. They might be connected! As you progress, you never do find what was stolen, and the case takes a bizarre turn that involves a secret society that's trying to stop the hotel owner from resurrecting a mummy. Also, King Arthur and Cleopatra are involved. In essence, it makes little sense on a good day.

The dialogue: made it painfully clear it was done by non-English speakers. I was going to suggest they get an English language editor, but in the credits you see they ALREADY HAD ONE. I'm not sure if this fits in storyline or dialogue, but when a ghost tells you that she doesn't really die but just "changes states" then two minutes later you're told the villain is 150 years old. "She's immortal?" "No, everything dies." Wait, what? So which is it, does everyone die or does everyone just change states? How did nobody pick up on this?

The graphics: Ever play Syberia or Syberia II and think the characters were a little "uncanny valley"? Made you wish they tried for more style so they wouldn't fail at realism? Okay, it's like that, but a little worse.

The sound and music: A handful of sound effects and a boring musical score. Only the beginning and ending cutscenes have voices. I see that as a mercy.

The puzzles: Range from stupidly obvious to completely nonsensical. "What are the odds there's a saw right next to these iron bars I need to cut?" What indeed, Bridget. The safecracking "puzzle" requires a stethoscope, but the stethoscope is in three pieces! ...Found in plain sight in one house comprised of two locations. Why was that necessary? The absolute worst one would have to be the chair puzzle though. You have to rotate segments in some way, but there was no template to follow and the finished product looked like nothing. It felt like blind luck. Ditto an elevator control panel puzzle - doesn't tell you what to do, just trial and error that shit until you get to the arbitrary configuration the developers wanted.

The length: Two hours that felt like a fucking eternity.

The verdict: It's been a long time since I've played a point-and-click that bad. This was worse than Reversion Chapter 1. I might have to go to Kongregate or Newgrounds to find one worse (although I might be forgetting one. Doubtless someone will remind me.) I've been known to find reviled games fun - Redshirt comes to mind - so when I say "avoid this one like the plague," take it to heart. I still appreciate being gifted the game and don't want to seem ungrateful, of course, but I can't recommend this game to anybody.

marrec

Banned
Yes, of course they had to discount Dungeon Siege III, which didn't have a sale in like half a year after they banned me from their stupid store. Curse you GMG

The only good thing about DS III is the combat... but I guess when a game is all about combat that's a good thing to have done correctly.

But by god the inventory system is mind-blowingly infuriating. Then of course the story...

I'm sure you've heard it all though.

cwmartin

464426b669.jpg

Interested?

Looks fun! I'm in if you are adding people to a comprehensive list or anything.

steam:cwmartin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom