• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
For people unsure about the old Xcom-Might be worth it to try one of them and see if you might like it with an updated interface. Xenonauts is mostly the same ideas but slightly cleaned up without streamlining or simplifying all that much.

I LOVE the newest Xcom and have been waiting for a bundle of the new game with enemy within to come out so I can replay it all.

Still, i barely have enough time for a full Xcom campaign these days and 5(!) xcom games is too much for me. Hopefully, someone will enjoy my gift copies of it but i'll just patiently wait for enemy within to get Steam Cheap™

Also, I'm fucking loving the witcher 2 but it seems to get more unstable as i keep playing. I read online that i might need to erase some of my old save files? You'd think a game released in the last 5 years wouldn't have such a dumb issue but here we are.

BruteUA

I bought X-COM Apocalypse for full price in 97, played 30 minutes, stopped and it's been in my backlog ever since.

Which begs the question: What's the oldest game that I wanted to complete one day but haven't....

I gave up on Zelda II when I got tired of dying on the way to the final palace and having to start at the beginning of the caves to get there, or something like that. Someday I'll go back. I went back and beat NES Jaws a couple years ago after never being able to get the timing right at the end fight, only took about 22 years or so.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Shoutout for Chronology, which you can grab for cheap in an Indieroyale bundle for the next few hours:
TQT3njb.png

http://www.indieroyale.com/

My impressions from the current Indie thread:
Yeah, okay, calling it now: Best game this month thats not called CrimsonLand. Grab it for cheap in the bundle here: http://www.indieroyale.com/Its a 2D time travelling platforming puzzle game with gorgeous art, basically BraidXLimbo. These games have the tendency to have extremely easy or redundant puzzles and I am glad to report that this game actually feels refreshingly different the way it uses its mechanic during the course of the game. You can basically switch between 2 different time periods, in which small differences from the past might make a huge impact on the future. Obvious examples would be using terrain thats slightly different in the past, or moving a tree seed, so it will grow big in the future and can be used as a platform. However, those small examples do not represent the ingenuity with which some of those puzzles are created and they become increasingly more interesting, devious and inventive later on, not to mention how incredibly nice they are to look at with the animations and general art style. Since it feels like some other games, it probably wont become a classic (unlike Braid for example for its novel time feature), but this game is good and deserves to be in your library. No clue how much content, so I am not sure I could recommend it for 10 bucks, but definitely pick it up in the bundle.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GUYS :O

Humble Bundle Weekly
Edge of Space
Lifeless Planet
Signs of Life

- are these 3 games worth playing $10 for?

No one has a strong opinion. Like 10 different people have posted about Lifeless Planet, most to say it's alright but not amazing. Only you can decide if it's worth spending your money on stuff or not. Edge of Space is $5.84 on Steam right now, and I'd guess that if you wanted these three games for less than $10 by the end of the year you could get them that cheap if you wait. It's two Terraria style games and one atmospheric gameplay-light adventure. Are those types of games you like?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I LOVE the newest Xcom and have been waiting for a bundle of the new game with enemy within to come out so I can replay it all.

Still, i barely have enough time for a full Xcom campaign these days and 5(!) xcom games is too much for me. Hopefully, someone will enjoy my gift copies of it but i'll just patiently wait for enemy within to get Steam Cheap™

Also, I'm fucking loving the witcher 2 but it seems to get more unstable as i keep playing. I read online that i might need to erase some of my old save files? You'd think a game released in the last 5 years wouldn't have such a dumb issue but here we are.

The old games are much more of a commitment too. You can play a full Enemy Unknown/Within campaign in the time it takes to get comfortable with the classic XCom interface.

Parsnip

Spares.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Deponia -- MB-AEFA9560D7C6186A - Taken by Egamer
The 39 Steps -- MB-7723C07284AFD3E7 - Taken by Toma
LightFish -- MB-D2BC0D9C57E2ADF0 - Taken by topyy
Q.U.B.E. Directors Cut -- MB-AC8405C239755B83 - Taken by Benedict

tioslash

I bought X-COM Apocalypse for full price in 97, played 30 minutes, stopped and it's been in my backlog ever since.

Which begs the question: What's the oldest game that I wanted to complete one day but haven't....

Good old days when I actually finished pretty much all the games I bought. Now I find myself often with tons of games that I keep saying will complete, but never do.

Ventara

GUYS :O

Humble Bundle Weekly
Edge of Space
Lifeless Planet
Signs of Life

- are these 3 games worth playing $10 for?

I'm actually debating this myself. Edge of Space and Signs of Life look right up my alley with their Terraria-like gameplay, and Lifeless Planet seems to have positive reviews despite me not knowing what the game actually is (do you just wonder around?). I'd say yes, but I'm a super cheap person, which is why I'm having this internal struggle as to whether to buy it or not.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm actually debating this myself. Edge of Space and Signs of Life look right up my alley with their Terraria-like gameplay, and Lifeless Planet seems to have positive reviews despite me not knowing what the game actually is (do you just wonder around?). I'd say yes, but I'm a super cheap person, which is why I'm having this internal struggle as to whether to buy it or not.

I'd say technically its worth it, but you can grab the individual games for cheaper in the next sale... and nobody plays their games anyway, right?

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

giphy.gif

But for real, the original UFO (X-Com just sounds wrong to my European ears :p) is not that complicated, clunky by today standards but not hard to understand...

But yeah, Xenonauts loks like a good, more modern alternative.

And btw, I really like the new XCOM, the old one is just such a great classic

Maybe I'm just getting old...

Evrain

Good old days when I actually finished pretty much all the games I bought. Now I find myself often with tons of games that I keep saying will complete, but never do.
Good times indeed. Managed to pick up Ultima 8 plus Syndacate Wars (good old 98) for a lofty 5€ (or 10k liras). Playedthe hell out of them.

Hrmm...I might have to bite on Risk of Rain for $3.29 on the humble store.

I should be able to get a couple hours of fun out of that one, right? Is it recommended to stick to multiplayer?

Fox318

No one has a strong opinion. Like 10 different people have posted about Lifeless Planet, most to say it's alright but not amazing. Only you can decide if it's worth spending your money on stuff or not. Edge of Space is $5.84 on Steam right now, and I'd guess that if you wanted these three games for less than $10 by the end of the year you could get them that cheap if you wait. It's two Terraria style games and one atmospheric gameplay-light adventure. Are those types of games you like?

I work my opinion out at the gym every day.

Its very strong.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve seems to be pretty cool about stuff like that, I think the Black Mesa dudes are making a standalone version and selling it too if I remember correctly.

Yeah, but the situation here is a little difference as Aperture Tag is a actually a mod -- as in it requires Portal 2 to run. The version of Black Mesa that's to be released on Steam won't be the current Source mod but rather a complete version that's running on a different, as-yet-unnamed engine (confirmed not to be Source 2).

JakeD

a "complimentary" game (aka all the new free games) gives you a +1 but doesn't show up in your library unless installed, correct?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Let's see.

I bought Dragon Warrior (Quest) VII for $34 in September of 2002 at an EBGames and got about half-way through (it's a 100-150 hour game). I intend to beat it one day. Hmm...

4BGNqEF.png

Oh, wait. Found it. I bought Lord of the Rings by Virgin Interactive, for Super Nintendo. I got it as a gift in 1993, and I think it cost about $80 Canadian at the time. I still have my cartridge with me even though I've moved across the country. It's incredibly hard, one of the hardest games ever made (it's a permadeath RPG that lasts 15+ hours; and you can randomly run into the Black Riders and those basically guarantee you will die. You can load saves to get characters back. Also the entire game is just filled with ENORMOUS, incomprehensibly huge maze dungeons that you need to keep manual maps for). Beautiful music. I will beat it one day. I try every few years, but even playing it with save states I can't get very far. Once I got 4 or 5 hours in but my entire party ended up poisoned.

Yep, that's my entry.

Turfster

But for real, the original UFO (X-Com just sounds wrong to my European ears :p) is not that complicated, clunky by today standards but not hard to understand...
And btw, I really like the new XCOM, the old one is just such a great classic

Maybe I'm just getting old...

Yeah, it was amazing fun in high school.
It's also one of the first games I hacked to bits after I finished it the first time.
(You can hack the base tiles so hangars only use one tile, leaving you room to reuse the others. All you have to do is make sure the base never gets invaded, because then there's no way to get to some places ;)

Ventara

I'd say technically its worth it, but you can grab the individual games for cheaper in the next sale... and nobody plays their games anyway, right?

lol, this is so true it hurts. I'll never finish my backlog.

Hrmm...I might have to bite on Risk of Rain for $3.29 on the humble store.

I should be able to get a couple hours of fun out of that one, right? Is it recommended to stick to multiplayer?

I think you can get it for 1 key ($2) from a Russian trader. Just about a dollar savings, but hey, that's another indie bundle, right?

JaseC

a "complimentary" game (aka all the new free games) gives you a +1 but doesn't show up in your library unless installed, correct?

That's a bingo. I install them anyway -- it feels weird if they're factored into my Steam Community count but not my client library count.

liezryou

Speaking of Borderlands, 2K pulled the Borderlands + Borderlands 2 bundle earlier. If I had to guess, this was because either:

- There's sale coming up to coincide with Pre-Sequel becoming available for pre-purchase and 2K wants to nickel-and-dime people as much as possible, or
- It's to be replaced with a three-game bundle (original + sequel + "pre-sequel")

Has it been 2 weeks since i said it was coming up on sale? I think 2 weeks will be this weekend right. I think i got it right, wewt.

dot

Ah dang, Blur was a possible prize from Dunder's Speedrunners session?! I'm been jonesing for that game for a while now.

Sad to hear about Yogventures. How the heck did that happen? I need to see if i backed it or not...

Time to train in Speedrunners in the meantime while Dunder is not here...

yGray

Banned
Just finished Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 3. I can't decide if I like this more than Wolf Among Us. I like the way they portray Clementine's attitude and but I like the presentation more in A Wolf Among Us.

Both great games. Can't wait for Episode 4.

DarkMehm

Please take them. Almost no restrictions.

ModBot said:
Instructions for DarkMehm:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

X-COM: UFO Defense -- MB-C229215D62EAE545 - Taken by Natty1
X-COM: Enforcer -- MB-167355DF6760264B
X-COM: Terror from the Deep -- MB-4DDA5D8ED4123814
X-COM: Apocalypse -- MB-ED2256A54AC6C185
X-COM: Interceptor -- MB-F1463CBF49A48FDC

t1405459969z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if youre jonesing for your Stained key from indieroyale debut 3 you can email the dev with proof of purchase (I assume a screenshot of the indieroyale bundle page works, I doubt any of us kept those old ass emails) and he will send it

or just wait until indieroyale puts up the key at their page

Please take them. Almost no restrictions.

except for the 3 hour raffle that is :p

Wasnt there something about Neotokyo guys couldnt sell their Mod+new Content because of Valve?

Not sure about that.

Yeah, but the situation here is a little difference as Aperture Tag is a actually a mod -- as in it requires Portal 2 to run. The version of Black Mesa that's to be released on Steam won't be the current Source mod but rather a complete version that's running on a different, as-yet-unnamed engine (confirmed not to be Source 2).

I see, that's an interesting case then.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Yeah, it was amazing fun in high school.
It's also one of the first games I hacked to bits after I finished it the first time.
(You can hack the base tiles so hangars only use one tile, leaving you room to reuse the others. All you have to do is make sure the base never gets invaded, because then there's no way to get to some places ;)

I always used a "Game Editor", can't remember the name, that let you edit the savegames. Adding funds, changing the hangar layouts, free Laser Rifles and so on... good times :)

JakeD

That's a bingo. I install them anyway -- it feels weird if they're factored into my Steam Community count but not my client library count.

yeah seriously. i almost want to remove them. i mean the profile number is nice to look at, but the real magic happens in the library ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I think the old system is:
- +1 if you buy DLC
- Otherwise 0
- Doesn't show up in library unless installed

While the new system is:
- +1 if you add
- Shows up in library unless you remove it from your account page. apparently I am wrong

I'm not at home so I don't have client access, but in my web library, Unturned shows up despite the fact that I haven't and probably won't install it.

Edit: Weird, web library and client library aren't synced? Unusual

JaseC

Sad to hear about Yogventures. How the heck did that happen? I need to see if i backed it or not...

A Reddit user posted Waykewl's press release. Basically, the small team bit off more than it could chew and all assets related to the game have been handed over to Yogscast in hope that the project finds a new home. It's yet anther cautionary tale of why folks should only back projects that are being developed by people with relevant experience as opposed to getting caught up in something that seems cool.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
mk3subzerofriend_1.gif_480_480_0_64000_0_1_0.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sub Zero, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Abyss Odyssey -- MB-B6EF5D0EF1EB4FFF - Taken by PetriP-TNT
Shovel Knight -- MB-507E681011307B17 - Taken by Parsnip
Transistor -- MB-725463CBE6F69D04 - Taken by The_Super_Inframan

t1405460273z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom