• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Transistor -- MB-725463CBE6F69D04 - Taken by The_Super_Inframan - Taken by The_Super_Inframan. 94 entrants total.

look at that, karma worked for once

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Nothing so far.

Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed in the game.
The controls are a bit too imprecise and clumsy (why can't I use d-pad!) and the level design is completely lacking in creativity.
I got to like dungeon 11 or something before I died and I was already bored half-way.
Seemed a bit easy since I got there without buying a new weapon and I didnt use my skill points.
(went straight down on the map, died at that second boss since I got bored and impatient)
Well, finally. I thought I was going crazy. I'm really not feeling it, the combat is just too slow for my liking I guess.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Eh, I don't care about Versus, though. I gave up on competitive games a while back, and I don't really have anyone locally who'd be interested in playing.

I dont understand why anyone would EVER choose a console digital game over PC

you will always have a PC, you wont always have your console, especially your old ass console (at least plugged in, I presume, eventually)

Jawmuncher

So, that amazon sale banner lists Killer is Dead at 60%, but it's only 33% off - I saw people mention this sale earlier today (which is why I looked), but didn't see if people knew if it was actually going down to that 60%? Anyone have any infos?

Best bet would be to contact amazon CS.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

you will always have a PC, you wont always have your console, especially your old ass console (at least plugged in, I presume, eventually)

Weak PC. Integrated graphics. Unsure on how the game will perform.

Tellaerin

Well, I've found out what's causing the graphical glitches in TimeShift, where the visual effects for using your time powers fill the screen with a blinding white glare that makes the game unplayable. It's the Steam overlay. Every time I try to use the time control powers after switching to the overlay, or a notification pops up, it happens. Windowing out to another program (not the desktop, for some reason) fixes it.

Now that I know what the issue is, it's not a big deal. I've taken to leaving my browser open in the background and alt-tabbing to it when the powers glitch. The only downside is that I'll flip to the Steam thread and start reading, and spend fifteen minutes to a half hour on that instead of jumping right back into the game. :p

Aside from that minor glitch, it's a great game, and I'm loving it so far. Glad I decided to listen to Mokoi and stick with it. I'll probably babble about it some more once I've finished it.

Toki767

Well, finally. I thought I was going crazy. I'm really not feeling it, the combat is just too slow for my liking I guess.

I feel pretty vindicated in being skeptical from watching the videos now. They say they wanted to make a fighting game engine in a platformer but it doesn't work if the speed is slow.

What is this?

They send you an email

BAVFxAB.png

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Has anyone played Cannon Brawl yet? Giant Bomb played it and it seems like fun and a bit more polished than what I'd expect from an Early Access game.

I feel like I played this game last year. Was this on Desura? I must own it on Desura. Take all this with a grain of salt because I may have in fact never played this game, but it was pretty much as Dan describes it. Kind of RTS light, not quite tower defense but sort of 1v1 (There were teams too, I think...in this maybe imaginary rendition of this game I only think I played) game. I had some fun with it. Hypothetically. I don't really agree with the Worms or Gunbound comparisons, you don't have that much direct control over your units. You just place and aim the towers and they fire or do their thing on cooldowns. The Worms comparison must come from the basic artillery aiming and destructible terrain.

I swear I played this game. There were shield generators, and the walking bombs were assholes because they ignored those generators. When the hell did I play this game?

edit: Seriously, I don't own Cannon Brawl on Desura? Where did I play this game?

Rhaknar

I feel pretty vindicated in being skeptical from watching the videos now. They say they wanted to make a fighting game engine in a platformer but it doesn't work if the speed is slow.

the hype for Abyss Odyssey around here was completely ridiculous for a game we knew little about in reality and from a dev that has released a few good, quirky but very flawed games.

Still want to play it but, yeah, a lesson for the future perhaps

This abyss game seems a bit janky to me. frequent screen tearing and a bit of a stutter at times. In fairness I am running handbrake and mkv simultaneously with this which is sucking up a lot of resources...

Monooboe

That's actually my thinking why I always choose the PC version of a game if I do get a collectors edition of it. Well that and that PC version is always 20:ish euroes cheaper.^^

Kuroyume

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kuroyume, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Disciples III: Reincarnation -- MB-2B587ED41A1083B4 - Taken by pupo. 4 entrants total.
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 -- MB-91BCC1CC4BCF568D - Taken by Sub Zero. 8 entrants total.
Street Racing Syndicate -- MB-E50B1B9B8FA0333B - Taken by Elija2. 3 entrants total.
Iron Grip: Warlord -- MB-2802189022C5AD46
t1cxE6r.gif
The Darkness II -- MB-0434D8D62C786153 - Taken by Kaisersalsek. 4 entrants total.
BioShock -- MB-C85ACF622E6E05D9 - Taken by AcademicSaucer. 1 entrants total.
I Am Vegend - Zombiegeddon -- MB-F63EC6D90BDFB392 - Taken by taco543. 1 entrants total.

t1405462613z1.png

clappinggrammy2013-06tbkuo.gif

Rhaknar

Saints Row 4 Game of the Century edition with all the DLC now out 24.99€

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
the hype for Abyss Odyssey around here was completely ridiculous for a game we knew little about in reality and from a dev that has released a few good, quirky but very flawed games.

Yeah I never quite understood it. It always looked very floaty and inaccurate. They claim it pulls more from Smash Bros than say, Street Fighter, but it still appeared so stilted that I couldn't help but feel like it was even less precise than SB's controls can be. I also don't really think the art style works for me, though honestly I have this problem with a lot of games. The 2D artwork for AO has a lot of personality and style and I don't think it comes through as well in the 3D models.

Totally personal opinion though. I'm sure it looks fine to others.

Lomax

anyone received the paypal $10 promotion?, how long do they take to credit your account?

If you're talking about the $10 for joining and using Bill Me Later, I had to email them before I got the credit. I waited until a couple days before my statement was due.

Considering that it didn't even crack the top 10 and it's already down to 45 on the list, it would seem the hype for the game was confined entirely to this thread.

Edit: Though it does have 905 people playing right now, which is pretty decent.

Looks like Abyss Odyssey launched at $10.49 on PSN. Doesn't appear to be a sale price or PS+ discount either. That won't help PC sales if/when that version jumps back up to $15. Weird pricing strategy, to say the least.

liezryou

I think we all know who to blame -_-'

Rhaknar

Yeah I never quite understood it. It always looked very floaty and inaccurate. They claim it pulls more from Smash Bros than say, Street Fighter, but it still appeared so stilted that I couldn't help but feel like it was even less precise than SB's controls can be. I also don't really think the art style works for me, though honestly I have this problem with a lot of games. The 2D artwork for AO has a lot of personality and style and I don't think it comes through as well in the 3D models.

Totally personal opinion though. I'm sure it looks fine to others.

my problem is more that it was the kind of hype that you see for games that are out, or have been out for awhile, and have grown to have that hype by word of mouth and whatnot. Sleeping Dogs for example.

Not for a pre-release

Nothing so far.

Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed in the game.
The controls are a bit too imprecise and clumsy (why can't I use d-pad!) and the level design is completely lacking in creativity.
I got to like dungeon 11 or something before I died and I was already bored half-way.
Seemed a bit easy since I got there without buying a new weapon and I didnt use my skill points.
(went straight down on the map, died at that second boss since I got bored and impatient)

Yes, seems like you're right, got the soundtrack now :)

I still want to know what the fuck's up with all the bugs.
This is the buggiest game I've played in a LONG time.
It's like ACE Team couldn't afford to do QA and that's why they lowered the price to 9.99.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I see that A Vampyre Story has been released.

I have mixed feelings about Steam's lowering standards / loosening of the floodgates as a whole, but I have to be honest, during the era of tight Valve control a lot of viable, commercial, major-publisher PnC adventures were not getting a Steam release. A Vampyre Story is one of them. So given that the flood of crap is happening, I'm glad it's accompanied with belated releases of older games that should have been released at the time.

I'm moving to the US soon and before I go I'll be visiting my family back home for a little while. In storage there I have probably 50 games published by The Adventure Company at retail. Almost all of them are now available on Steam, most over the last 6-9 months. I'm pretty glad about that. Less junk I need sitting in a basement somewhere.

Looking through my list of early-mid 2000s adventure games, it looks like Steam is definitely still missing the following:
Amerzone
Crime Stories
Destination Treasure Island
Evidence
Keepsake
Murder in the Abbey
Next Life
NiBiRu: Age of Secrets
The eXperiment
Voyage

Rhaknar

I have mixed feelings about Steam's lowering standards / loosening of the floodgates as a whole, but I have to be honest, during the era of tight Valve control a lot of viable, commercial, major-publisher PnC adventures were not getting a Steam release. A Vampyre Story is one of them. So given that the flood of crap is happening, I'm glad it's accompanied with belated releases of older games that should have been released at the time.

I'm moving to the US soon and before I go I'll be visiting my family back home for a little while. In storage there I have probably 50 games published by The Adventure Company at retail. Almost all of them are now available on Steam, most over the last 6-9 months. I'm pretty glad about that. Less junk I need sitting in a basement somewhere.

Looking through my list of early-mid 2000s adventure games, it looks like Steam is definitely still missing the following:
Amerzone
Crime Stories
Destination Treasure Island
Evidence
Keepsake
Murder in the Abbey
Next Life
NiBiRu: Age of Secrets
The eXperiment
Voyage

is The Abbey (also released today) from the same company?

I remember waiting for that quite a long time, playing the demo, hating the voice of the main character, and then not feeling the game at all, and quitting before I even finished that demo. :\

Should maybe have given it a proper chance.

masterkajo

Did Dark Souls always have Steam Cloud support or is this new?

YCvFG7w.jpg

Yes it has been there since at least last summer when I bought and played it. I had troubles with my save file and the cloud and had to do the trick where you delete the save in the cloud. So not new. Still hope for a GFWL removal and steamworks implementation for an inevitable replay of my favorite game.

yGray

Banned
I was going to do a giveaway on Tomb Raider but since I haven't seen anyone else give it away I assume that either

a) no one likes the game
or
b) everyone has it already

Saints Row 4 Century Edition at 29,99$ is good for future sales I take.

80% of 30$ is better than 80% of 60$ or 50$

I was going to do a giveaway on Tomb Raider but since I haven't seen anyone else give it away I assume that either
a) no one likes the game
or
b) everyone has it already
Please make one! I don't have it and would want it.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Grab your
divine
pitchforks! Nito's got some splainin to do...

Seriously now, what were you guys expecting from Abyss Odyssey? It's a decent but flawed game, which seems to be the case for all the ACE team games. Everybody will forget about it in a month and it will be bundled in a year. If you were expecting indie GOTY material from it then you should keep your expectations in check next time

Eanan

So yeah, Gone Home's ending...

Meh is the perfect description.

Im not sure if I can be bothered to replay it and look for more clues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom