• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played a bit of Abyss Odyssey, and I'm not so sure what to think. Some areas look really nice, but I'm not so sure about the combat system yet. I think it starts off pretty boring and basic. I'll probably play it a bit more to see if it opens up and improves.

I really just want that Guacamelee DLC, damnit. That's smash-like combat done right.
The combat kinda sucks until you start getting more special skills to work with. With just the one it's pretty barebones feeling.

Vlad

Impressions of Abyss Odyssey

How the hell do I assign skill points using mouse and keyboard?

Yeah, it took me a long time of feebly bashing away on all the keys to figure that one out.

You hit Enter.

Same goes for buying stuff at the merchants. None of the 10 or so keys you've bound act as "confirm in an in-game menu", but Enter does.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So - I had another job interview today and it went REALLY well. In order to increase my karma and in hopes of this actually going through, I present you with:

Hope everything works out well for you. You should have been a chief network engineer at Valve by now, but they are the ones that are missing out

Oh and thanks for 99 levels to hell :)

Knurek

I've already said so to Rhaknar, but it's amazing how timing works sometime.
I've just wrapped up main story of Might & Magic X and coming back from the ending, I've noticed a new PM on GAF. Year of incline, indeed...
Not gonna play Divinity for a while, especially since I have a wedding in less than a month, but I will get around to it soon-ish, that's for sure

Egamer

So - I had another job interview today and it went REALLY well. In order to increase my karma and in hopes of this actually going through, I present you with:

It will be fine, don't worry! Got a job interview tomorrow as well - almost no university student anymore, so I'm excited to get that job. And thanks for Mount & Blade. :)

rtcn63

This reminds me, I've been in a mad rush to find work, though in the only field I have any real experience in (menial administrative shit). My parents this week are planning to move to Georgia, US, if I don't find employment soon. Before you shit on me for being a worthless man-child- there are mitigating circumstances. I'm an above-average employee (had one supervisor repeatedly offer to help reinstate me, six months after I was run off, in a chance meeting at the supermarket), but terribly anti-social, and hate workplace bullying. Which I've been a regular victim of party due to my anti-socialness.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
How dare you

Lol I have finished the game twice. 1 Katrien with 4 deaths and 1 Pincoya with no Gameover run. Sure it starts barebones but once you get Special ability for the up and down button it fleshes out. Also upgrade the cancels for more combo opportunities. Also doing around 15 hit combos without much issues thanks to that.

Yeah, it took me a long time of feebly bashing away on all the keys to figure that one out.

You hit Enter.

Same goes for buying stuff at the merchants. None of the 10 or so keys you've bound act as "confirm in an in-game menu", but Enter does.

The hell? It says A button on the screen and the A button is mapped to space (at least according to the keybindings in the menu). They really need to patch in keyboard prompts into the game. Playing with M&K while fumbling around trying to figure out which button to press is a game in itself.

yGray

Banned
Lol I have finished the game twice. 1 Katrien with 4 deaths and 1 Pincoya with no Gameover run. Sure it stars barebones but once you get Special ability for the up and down button it fleshes out. Also upgrade the cancels for more combo opportunities. Also doing around 15 hit combos without much issues thanks to that.

to be honest I have no interest in the game. People are comparing the gameplay to Smash Bros. but I find that hard to believe.

Plus it just looks SO UGLY.

Vlad

The hell? It says A button on the screen and the A button is mapped to space (at least according to the keybindings in the menu). They really need to patch in keyboard prompts into the game. Playing with M&K while fumbling around trying to figure out which button to press is a game in itself.

Yup, that's exactly what I've been saying in the game's official thread here. It's always been one of my huge pet peeves (Super Meat Boy and Fez were both guilty of this, too), and it's really annoying here since not only are there a ton of different buttons, but like you said, in this case the key you need to press doesn't even map to its controller equivalent.

Now, bonus points for anybody who can tell me how to reset the skill points applied to individual skills (for damage/mana/resistance buffs). Once again, the in-game prompt doesn't at all apply to the keyboard.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Chicken Shoot Gold -- MB-2FF29082617C5A28 - Taken by Rhaknar

I aint scared of no poo icon, gimme dat chicken modbot!

Also good luck on your jpb Shack, its a travesty that you havent been picked up yet

Driw3r

Unconfirmed Member
Not really interested in 2K bundle's X-COM: Complete Pack. If anyone have Lifeless Planet from weekly bundle pm me, i can give you x-com pack for change.

I've been playing Wolf Among Us and just completed third episode. Story is great, characters are interesting and funny, art style cool... After completed this one maybe i should try Walking Dead... even though i can't stand any zombie games.

This is exactly what I was expecting. And it's overdelivering on that expectation. However, I don't see how anyone who's played a fighting game could have watched the videos and not seen some of the issues that are being talked about beforehand...

But it's based on Smash. And even though the developers/creators of Smash say that it wasn't created to be a "fighting" game, it is one... so therefore there shouldn't be any problems in Abyss Odyssey.

Except, y''know, screen tearing out the wazoo and the gamebreaking bug of having it suddenly decide to no longer accept input for walking.

I enjoyed the game and still enjoying it. If you guys dont like the game that aint my problem.

You must've gotten a different game than I did, because what I got barely qualifies as playable.

Ozium

Those of you not enjoying Abyss Odyssey, try to play with the Ghost Monk. He rocks. Katerina sucks and is dumb.

Ghost Monk is Hate
Ghost Monk is Death

Not going to use these. Take them.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

X-COM: UFO Defense -- MB-614CE20481A8BED5 - Taken by xeris. 5 entrants total.
X-COM: Enforcer -- MB-4E1AEA85B3B49748
X-COM: Terror From The Deep -- MB-48644600C5D88671
X-COM: Apocalypse -- MB-9D00B38683251DD2 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 1 entrants total.
X-COM: Interceptor -- MB-69A920C3396DCDE7 - Taken by Volotaire. 2 entrants total.

t1405465972z1.png

taco543

times running up on these
ModBot said:
Instructions for taco543:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (taco543, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

X-COM: Apocalypse -- MB-50E26F6F44CAAC9E - Taken by Perun. 2 entrants total.
Curse Premium -- MB-CAB98C6030F20814
X-COM: Terror from the Deep -- MB-89AB858DB2261454 - Taken by maneil99. 5 entrants total.
X-COM: Enforcer -- MB-7FD549B8E1E07908 - Taken by lukiluk. 1 entrants total.
Indie Game: The Movie Steam Key -- MB-116A96F6599C6CDE - Taken by Sub Zero. 9 entrants total.
X-COM: UFO Defense -- MB-52FF6F0BA729E67A - Taken by ev0. 2 entrants total.
X-COM: Interceptor -- MB-66AE5E5FD090C573 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 2 entrants total.

t1405466152z1.png

jb1234

I just bought Strider. I've wanted it for months and it finally went on sale (more or less). I look forward to slashing things up!

But it's based on Smash. And even though the developers/creators of Smash say that it wasn't created to be a "fighting" game, it is one... so therefore there shouldn't be any problems in Abyss Odyssey.

Except, y''know, screen tearing out the wazoo and the gamebreaking bug of having it suddenly decide to no longer accept input for walking.

You must've gotten a different game than I did, because what I got barely qualifies as playable.
I really hope you aren't being serious with that first paragraph...

Haven't had issues with bugs, but screen tearing is fixable by forcing Vsync through your control panel.
This AO hate train is kinda ridiculous
Yup.

rtcn63

A non-gaming related indiegogo campaign completely mislead me and others, in that we'd received refunds (though not stated in a way that was explicitly set in stone) if we weren't happy with the final product once the campaign ended. Last time I do these, I do blame myself partly for my own ignorance.

And the thing is, they not only reached their goal of a few ten thousand, but got to a cool mil and a third.

modbot is slacking...
edit: okay, here it is...

ModBot said:
I am giving away 19 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (corrosivefrost, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ulgzbKC.png
(Desura) CAFE 0 ~The Drowned Mermaid~ -- MB-FBFC8419CE149359
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-FB353D4F197DCA76 - Taken by weemadarthur. 2 entrants total.
X-COM: Apocalypse -- MB-8EB67CEA08058F88 - Taken by Aaron
The Culling of the Cows -- MB-183B0ACC599B5A5B - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 4 entrants total.
Overlord and Raising Hell DLC -- MB-BB75B0376D2E9ECF - Taken by taco543. 2 entrants total.
Rise of the Argonauts -- MB-A6193FF2AB095B90 - Taken by Casimir. 2 entrants total.
Ichi -- MB-2B594B155F9942D6 - Taken by swx. 2 entrants total.
DiRT 3 -- MB-E3572A066E153BA5 - Taken by fspm. 10 entrants total.
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising -- MB-760AA5616AA825B2 - Taken by derExperte. 4 entrants total.
X-COM: Enforcer -- MB-980BC84D2FB747D1
X-COM: Terror from the Deep -- MB-EFC6AACF2579B871 - Taken by Pudge. 3 entrants total.
One Finger Death Punch -- MB-63D5641F2FF5D656 - Taken by Megasoum. 2 entrants total.
Rhythm Destruction -- MB-496B608D5C4F3660 - Taken by dot. 1 entrants total.
X-COM: Interceptor -- MB-BCEF39D3B6EE0273 - Taken by maneil99
X-COM: UFO Defense -- MB-ACB83739AE1370C4 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 2 entrants total.
Operation Flashpoint: Red River -- MB-C285D6D89D5203E3 - Taken by Cozmogramma. 3 entrants total.
El Matador -- MB-7BB6FC2C4FAC2A95
Overlord II -- MB-9C04E6594220B28D - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 4 entrants total.
Magicka -- MB-69054F83978BD585 - Taken by Mono. 3 entrants total.

t1405466452z1.png

Impressions of Abyss Odyssey

First thing I did was go into versus mode cause it reminded me of smash. Too barebones and you can only use 1 character, if thats not bad enough, the 1 character you can use is the most dull looking one out of the main 3. So I played that and it was alright; extremely basic, but alright. After only 1 match my brother and I got annoyed with the turning, its too slow. So then I went off to do adventure, I was once again disappointed that I can only use that 1 girl with the sword, I was hoping on maining spear girl. I only had that fireball skill which is pretty lame and limits your combos. Also team attack is really frustrating when playing co op, next patch should give the option to turn that off. I got tolevel 5 before I stopped playing, was also able to unlock 2 new skills. I got to a boss who was guarded by a ghost or w/e. They spanked me mighty quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom