• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

ulgzbKC.png
Dead Hungry Diner (Desura) -- MB-FF668C8CC29D977A - Taken by DaBargainHunta

Yay. Desura keys.... :D

Terra_Ex

So, RPG Maker game Data Hacker: Initiation finally has a Steam page. It's been in a bunch of bundles, all of which were promised Steam keys, and arrives on July 21st.
It's at times like these I wish these bundle sites would email me when they add steam keys for a game that was in a bundle because like so many other bundled games, I'm sure I own this somewhere but I can't recall where. The only people who get off their backsides and do let me know when they add steam keys, ironically, are the lazy guys bundle.

Having a blast with Skyrim, damn all the haters who said it sucked, delayed my enjoyment. Are the older scrolls better?
Most criticisms of Skyrim come from the perspective of it not being their first rodeo.

I thought Oblivion aged horribly. The visual design was ultra bland and the gameplay systems felt like shit.
I don't think it aged in that regard so much as once people removed the newness goggles it became apparent what it always was.

JakeD

It's at times like these I wish these bundle sites would email me when they add steam keys for a game that was in a bundle because like so many other bundled games, I'm sure I own this somewhere but I can't recall where. The only people who get off their backsides and do let me know when they add steam keys, ironically, are the lazy guys bundle.

while i agree, emails are nice, you can check this site periodically (sort it by date)

it doesn't get every key but i would say it gets about 90%

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I loved Skyrim /shrug

At the same time I have no interest going back for the DLC, but that holds true for every game I finish :(

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I mostly check the Steam discussion boards for games that I recognize from bundles. It really helps to keep a list of the bundled games you've bought that are awaiting keys so you can double check.

H1PSTER

Welp after reading some of this thread I have realised how awesome it is and subscribed to it.

Let the e-mail spam commence!

--

What have you been logging the most hours into this week guys? For me it's been Payday 2... I've had it since release but you can never, ever scratch enough of the heisting itch.

Copons

One Finger Death Punch is pretty awesome. I'm coming for you Copons

Never said I was good at OFDP tho! :D
Actually, I gradually lost all my m4d skillz0rz to the point of leaving the game mid-[whatever it's called the last difficulty level] campaign because I just couldn't follow that speed anymore.
I should totally go back to complete it, but at the same time I should totally preserve my right thumb as it could be useful for, like, distinguishing me from other mammals, or for working.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Having a blast with Skyrim, damn all the haters who said it sucked, delayed my enjoyment. Are the older scrolls better?

I also had a blast with Skyrim, but I also kind of thought it sucked. It did a few things really well, but it was mostly mediocre with repetitive caves/dungeons. The "guild" quests were just shy of fantastic though. At least they would have been, if the areas they took place in weren't all the exact same with the exact same enemies.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Welp after reading some of this thread I have realised how awesome it is and subscribed to it.

--

What have you been logging the most hours into this week guys? For me it's been Payday 2... I've had it since release but you can never, ever scratch enough of the heisting itch.
Welcome. Google Saoirse Ronan.

dot

CSGO (gotta make dat money), Sunrider (yay waifus), Guild Wars 2 (Dry Top is the worst place/name ever) and Hearthstone (card games are sirius business). The latter two aren't on steam though.

That's all i've been playing lately.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

--

First part of the post: you've made a terrible mistake if you get emailed every time a new post is made.

Second part: I spent some quality time with Civ IV this week. Rhye's and Fall mod is still GOAT mod.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Skyrim actually has good DLC though. But skip Hearthfire, that one is kinda pointless.

So I just looked up Hearthfire because I got it with Skyrim LE, and that explains why I got a dialog choice to adopt a random street urchin. I was like, "what the fuck?"

Then I read this...

If the child's parents are killed by the Dragonborn and the crime is noted by the guards or observed by the child, adoption may not be possible. Children may be "aware" that their parents were killed by the Dragonborn even if the crime was committed while hidden, rendering adoption impossible.

It is possible, however, to guarantee adoption after killing a child's parents. Immediately after committing the crime, by bribing the guards and Calming the child for a certain period, it is possible for children to reach the "acceptance" phase, when it becomes possible to open dialogue with them again. They say things such as "(sigh)," and "What...what am I gonna do?", and at this point, it becomes possible to adopt them.

It seems there is limited space in the orphanage, it can hold eleven children altogether, including the four that have always lived there. If the orphaned child doesn't show up at Honorhall within a few days, they likely are still in the place they originally lived.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck?!

Skyrim is boring.
It get's boring after dozens of hours of constant new stuff though.

But then the bad parts get extremely annoying. Like stupidly unfun melee and cookie cutter world.

Would like to replay on PC though as using bow on consoles was not fun at all.
Waiting for Legendary Edition to be ~5 bucks

Helmholtz

Was trying to finally finish Dark Souls after leaving it for several months. I've logged around 50 hours into that so far and I'm really liking it a lot.
Been playing Borderlands 2 with a couple friends and aside from the lame humor/bad writing it's a pretty fun coop fps with decent RPG mechanics.
Spelunky is a game I periodically launch just for fun.

To add to the Skyrim conversation... I think that game has some amazing environments and atmosphere, and one of the most expansive open worlds yet. But I do agree that a lot of the dungeons and quests are very repetitive. And to make things worse, the main storyline was nothing great either, with a pretty vanilla plot. Combat is a marginal improvement over Oblivion, so still pretty mediocre. But as far as walking simulators go, that has to be one of the best ones.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
All of the criticisms of Skyrim are valid.

But there aren't any alternatives in the Skyrim genre. So whaddyagonnado. Besides sink hours into the modding hole.

Hugstable

Banned

For me, been alot of Payday 2 and CS:GO playing online, but I've still put the most time into playing Dark Souls this week as I started to play again after taking a week break after getting owned by O&S.

All of the criticisms of Skyrim are valid.

But there aren't any alternatives in the Skyrim genre. So whaddyagonnado. Besides sink hours into the modding hole.

Sink time into Divinity: OS and Dark Souls 1+2!!!!

Ventara

So I just looked up Hearthfire because I got it with Skyrim LE, and that explains why I got a dialog choice to adopt a random street urchin. I was like, "what the fuck?"

Then I read this...

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck?!

lol, so you have to kill off the child's parents, and then wait long enough for the child to forget/worry about their well-being for you to adopt them? That's kinda messed up.

--

I've been hearing to a bunch of podcasts these past few days, so games like bejeweled 3 or Rage, are getting the hours. Last week was all Wolfenstein: The New Order though. Excellent game, and pretty fun to get all achievements.

H1PSTER

Welcome. Google Saoirse Ronan.

I have no idea why you've asked me to go do such a thing! Though I can't say it was a bad thing, she's not bad - kinda looks like Bran Stark from some angles.

Notably this one.

First part of the post: you've made a terrible mistake if you get emailed every time a new post is made.

I quickly changed it after the first few replies and saved myself a world of hurt.

Terra_Ex

while i agree, emails are nice, you can check this site periodically (sort it by date)

it doesn't get every key but i would say it gets about 90%
Bookmarked this, thanks.
I mostly check the Steam discussion boards for games that I recognize from bundles. It really helps to keep a list of the bundled games you've bought that are awaiting keys so you can double check.
Yeah, I might have to start doing something like this.

Already in the base game, unless you want the vampire lord's cool eyes and not so useful transformation ability.
Bah, worth it for the Laura Bailey VO alone, I need my fix man. I think I'll wait it out for the goty edition of Beth's next game regardless, the dlc will feel less of a side dish that way and I won't have to suffer through their shitty DLC pricing antics.

Anustart

Most criticisms of Skyrim come from the perspective of it not being their first rodeo.

I don't think it aged in that regard so much as once people removed the newness goggles it became apparent what it always was.

Well I'm glad I saddled up! Before, I didnt think I would enjoy the worlds as much as I did in new Vegas and f3, but its just as good, if not better.

Tellaerin

So far it's been all about TimeShift for me. I know it's an older game, but I've wanted to play it for awhile and am only just now getting around to it. Really enjoying it so far.

Already in the base game, unless you want the vampire lord's cool eyes and not so useful transformation ability.

Well, I meant more that it's a story about vampires (and the warriors who love hunt them), but point taken. :3

I'm enjoying my time with Oblivion well enough, though I still haven't finished it. It's one of those games I play for a few days before moving onto something else, then eventually come back to. Then again, I didn't start playing it until well after Skyrim was released, which meant I was able to mod the things I thought would annoy me (like enemy level scaling, or Bethesda's awful character models) before I started playing. I imagine people who played vanilla Oblivion weren't so fortunate. :s

Trejik

How's the versus mode? I know it's local only for now, but really interested to know if it has some depth to it.

I'm busy unlocking the characters. Only have 6 so far. Looks like 9 "Main Fighters" and then a bunch of support ones. Some of the support ones, enemies mainly, I've played with in the story are just as deep as the Champions, so I'm optimistic this could potentially be very fun in Versus.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Skyrim was boring from the start.

The combat ruins everything the game has to offer. The spells are alright but the melee combat, dialogue, animations, dungeons, Simplified RPG Elements which were already simplified in Oblivion sucks. If I need to mod the game to make it fun then the game is a poor product. Mods shouldn't be needed to make the game fun but then again Bethesda gets the praised for the mods that make the game more stable when it wasnt even made by them. People like praising Bethesda cause they can make a big map. Woohoo big map doesn't change the mediocrity within the game.

:3

I somehow do enjoy the 2 Fallout games by Bethesda. I guess thats a miracle (Then again Obsidian did NV which is better than 3)

It really didn't help that I played skyrim after playing dishonored, another game published by Bethesda. The combat in dishonored was fantastic with so many viable options and the swordplay felt so good.

Skyrim combat felt like my swords were wrapped in two thick wet blankets each and my arms were made of the realms finest pudding.

Bah, worth it for the Laura Bailey VO alone, I need my fix man. I think I'll wait it out for the goty edition of Beth's next game regardless, the dlc will feel less of a side dish that way and I won't have to suffer through their shitty DLC pricing antics.
I actually think the pricing is ok, there aren't a lot of DLCs, and you aren't missing out much for not buying them.

Civilization on the other hand...I know I won't buy Beyond Earth until some form of gold edition has popped up.

Vazra

It really didn't help that I played skyrim after playing dishonored, another game published by Bethesda. The combat in dishonored was fantastic with so many viable options and the swordplay felt so good.

Skyrim combat felt like my swords were wrapped in two thick wet blankets each and my arms were made of the realms finest pudding.

They better get Dishonored team to work on the melee combat for the next Elder Scrolls. That was at least satisfying.

Anustart

The combat ruins everything the game has to offer. The spells are alright but the melee combat, dialogue, animations, dungeons, Simplified RPG Elements which were already simplified in Oblivion sucks. If I need to mod the game to make it fun then the game is a poor product. Mods shouldn't be needed to make the game fun but then again Bethesda gets the praised for the mods that make the game more stable when it wasnt even made by them. People like praising Bethesda cause they can make a big map. Woohoo big map doesn't change the mediocrity within the game.

I somehow do enjoy the 2 Fallout games by Bethesda. I guess thats a miracle (Then again Obsidian did NV which is better than 3)

New Vegas is way better :3 You're amongst friends here.

Finalow

I agree with this. NV > F3 > Skyrim. Obsidian makes way better rpgs, gotta deal with it.
Skyrim looks cool because "hey huge maps, monsters, villages, you can do anything! Dragons!" but in the end quests are boring and poorly thought, story - cutscenes are awful, dungeons are even worse and there isn't really anything fresh or worth exploring.

huge world and full liberty might be excting for the first hours but then you see the real game.

Grief.exe

I love criticizing Skyrim, but I really don't have the energy.

They better get Dishonored team to work on the melee combat for the next Elder Scrolls. That was at least satisfying.

Bethesda would probably be better served looking at Chivalry, Mount & Blade, or Kingdom Come for first person combat with a sword.

Vazra

I love criticizing Skyrim, but I really don't have the energy.

Bethesda would probably be better served looking at Chivalry, Mount & Blade, or Kingdom Come for first person combat with a sword.

There have been games that have done what Elder Scrolls games have been trying to do with its combat better since the dawn of time but Bethesda are lazy at their job so the best bet or the least they can do is put someone more competent work on the combat that they currently have close.

Speevy

Banned
They need to get a controller-based game out that has freakin' mortality, I'm talking Bushido Blade.

You cut someone, they're cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom