• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
as long as its older and aged like wine

Well Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines for example is both old and amazing, and
fan-modded
it aged like wine, but its not forgotten

what's an amazing older game on steam that's forgotten about?

Anachronox
CivCity: rome
Evil Genius
Freedom Force
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Penumbra series
Realms of the Haunting (I didn't know I have it! Awesome!)
Startopia

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Recently I played two very David Cage-y indie titles, Dinner Date and 4PM.

4PM has an interesting story, a terrible stealth section, and it's very, very short. I thought it'd have more story choices, but nope, it only has
2 endings from what I can tell.

Dinner Date is.. a 25 minute monologue of complaints. Your -limited- actions don't matter at all, your date
never arrives,
and it just
ends like that, no surprises, no nothing. I was really waiting for him to jump off the window or something.

Both more entertaining than Abyss Odyssey though.
Nito, fight me irl bro.

Hugstable

Banned
Bought Shantae and decided to give it a try and I'm enjoying it so far. Not really much that could go wrong with a DSi Ware game that looks like a GBA game haha. It does have options that allow you to remap the controls as well as resolution options. You also have the choice of running the game at Full Screen (You see alot of pixels like this since there are no filter) It still doesn't take up the full screen with full screen, but Stretch can fit it if need be. There is also the Original Screen size which I'm actually using right now which makes the pixels look much cleaner, even if it's taking a lot less portion of the screen size. Overall it's a competent port for what it is, and I enjoy the game enough to want to play it with my dualshock 4 on my monitor.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Anachronox
CivCity: rome
Evil Genius
Freedom Force
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Penumbra series
Realms of the Haunting (I didn't know I have it! Awesome!)
Startopia

it was bundled recently, thats probably how you have it :)

or you won it from modbot, but that came from the bundle anyway

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
inUSyDqXCIxG.gif
inUSyDqXCIxG.gif

$186 BILL CREDIT UNLOCKED.

This means that we are officially past the 2 months of negative bills threshold, people! This is absolutely absurd and I can't thank everyone enough for all their help in getting here. Without further delay, here is the current scoreboard:

M&M SCOREBOARD said:
$30 from Morningbus
+$18 from Mono
+$18 from Toki767
+$18 from Jawmuncher
+$18 from iosefe
+$12 from Mokoi
+$12 from default two
+$12 from CorrosiveFrost
+$12 from BinaryPork2737
+$6 from Cheddahz
+$6 from Armoured Priest
+$6 from Amzin
+$6 from Gunstarheroes
+$6 from tiny raptor
+$6 from Chocobro

I want to highlight the following members of SteamGAF for this round of contributions, in order:

tiny raptor flies like a big eagle, dropping a code from his mighty talons!

Mono has shed the mantle of Stereo, being the first to join the three-code-club!

CorrosiveFrost has used his corrosive magic, melting and yet somehow freezing and shattering the locks into the 2-timers club. I am basically writing fanfic now god help me.

Toki767 becomes the vice-president of the three-code-club with an additional code!

Chocobro is quite the bro by contributing his extra code to the cause!

Jawmuncher munches up M&Ms and spits out codes being the third person to join the three-code-club!

BinaryPork2737 should change his name to TernaryPork2737 after contribution another code!

iosefe might as well call himself Iosefe of Arimathea because he donating, son!

You people are seriously, seriously amazing.

Rhaknar

That's the whole idea behind the game, iirc.

It's sad that 4PM is so short.
Guess it goes on the "bundle" pile.

how short is it? If its shorter than Gone Home i might quickly play it tomorow, i cant do big sessions atm, even when I have time, I just dont have...patience. Too tired, I just want to listen to music and idle games for cards and browse the net while drinking tea.... god Im old :(

So Firefall is officially on Steam and the launch patch is up. It is in early access for the next 2 weeks. But after 2 weeks it is a f2p game.

If you have played previous builds of this game, you have an idea how combat goes. But forget everything else from progression to mission structure to crafting and resources. So much has changed over the past year, and now it is definitely a very solid MMOFPS.

This game is very accessible very fun and very not p2w + fair for free players.

I actually got in on an invite like 2 years ago and I have yet to spend a dime. I've never felt the need to spend money either. I also have every frame (except 1 which I will get eventually without effort anyway) unlocked. Frames are your "class".

The game has really improved over the last year... definitely worth checking out.

dot

Both more entertaining than Abyss Odyssey though.
Nito, fight me irl bro.

lol daaaaamn John.

dem fighting words

Gonna play some Soul Gambler later. The comic look is interesting..

So Firefall is officially on Steam and the launch patch is up. It is in early access for the next 2 weeks. But after 2 weeks it is a f2p game.

If you have played previous builds of this game, you have an idea how combat goes. But forget everything else from progression to mission structure to crafting and resources. So much has changed over the past year, and now it is definitely a very solid MMOFPS.

I actually got in on an invite like 2 years ago and I have yet to spend a dime. I've never felt the need to spend money either. I also have every frame (except 1 which I will get eventually without effort anyway) unlocked. Frames are your "class".

The game has really improved over the last year... definitely worth checking out.

I might install this again and see how much has changed since i'm kinda curious.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
how short is it? If its shorter than Gone Home i might quickly play it tomorow, i cant do big sessions atm, even when I have time, I just dont have...patience. Too tired, I just want to listen to music and idle games for cards and browse the net while drinking tea.... god Im old :(
20 minutes short.

-MD-

Playing a game like Shovel Knight really drives home just how shitty the 360 controller d-pad is.

Shovel Knight on a Dualshock 4 felt glorious.

Just finished The Wolf Among Us, what a game. Too soon to say if I consider it better than TWD1 but I can't wait for another season of it.

Hey guys, quick question. I'm really craving a romp through Mass Effect, but I don't know whether I should get it on Steam or Origin. The first game is $20 on Steam and you can get all three on Origin for $30.

What are the advantages and drawbacks, if any? Besides the price, of course.

Grief.exe

Thanks for keeping us informed. I'm excited to check this one out.

Playing a game like Shovel Knight really drives home just how shitty the 360 controller d-pad is.

Time to upgrade to a DS4 or XBO controller.

Grief.exe

Hey guys, quick question. I'm really craving a romp through Mass Effect, but I don't know whether I should get it on Steam or Origin. The first game is $20 on Steam and you can get all three on Origin for $30.

What are the advantages and drawbacks, if any? Besides the price, of course.

Wait it out. EA is constantly putting their titles on Steam
There are all some great texture mods available, send me a PM and I will get you a link for ME1.

Mono

Shovel Knight on a Dualshock 4 felt glorious.

Just finished The Wolf Among Us, what a game. Too soon to say if I consider it better than TWD1 but I can't wait for another season of it.

Is the Dualshock 4 better than the Dualshock 3? I love my DS3 but don't like the R2/L2 buttons.

TWAU was excellent! I'm glad we got a good ending.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How is the d-pad on the Xbox One controller? I'm thinking about grabbing one.

Honestly, it's worlds apart from the 360 D-PAD. Very nice, very clicky.

Rhaknar

Wait it out. EA is constantly putting their titles on Steam
There are all some great texture mods available, send me a PM and I will get you a link for ME1.

what is this wonderful alternate dimension you live in Grief, I want to live there too :(

Hugstable

Banned
Is the Dualshock 4 better than the Dualshock 3? I love my DS3 but don't like the R2/L2 buttons.

Way better to me. DS4 has finally gotten some use on my PC and plays through many games, especially 2D indies and such so well. I use my controller for pretty much most games now that aren't shooters, Dark Souls, Volgarr and Risky are all games that play great especially with the DS4 triggers and amazing Dpad.

Miguel81

Yes, but wait until the new ones are released in September before you purchase. The current ones have issues with rubber wearing down, and shoulder buttons sticking.

what's an amazing older game on steam that's forgotten about?

Aquaria

Lomax

inUSyDqXCIxG.gif
inUSyDqXCIxG.gif

$174 BILL CREDIT UNLOCKED.

This means that we are officially past the 2 months of negative bills threshold, people! This is absolutely absurd and I can't thank everyone enough for all their help in getting here. Without further delay, here is the current scoreboard:

I want to highlight the following members of SteamGAF for this round of contributions, in order:

tiny raptor flies like a big eagle, dropping a code from his mighty talons!

Mono has shed the mantle of Stereo, being the first to join the three-code-club!

CorrosiveFrost has used his corrosive magic, melting and yet somehow freezing and shattering the locks into the 2-timers club. I am basically writing fanfic now god help me.

Toki767 becomes the vice-president of the three-code-club with an additional code!

Chocobro is quite the bro by contributing his extra code to the cause!

Jawmuncher munches up M&Ms and spits out codes being the third person to join the three-code-club!

You people are seriously, seriously amazing.

Considering all the issues people had with the Mastercards, will you be surprised if the credit never shows up?

Nabs

I can't even use a DS3 without hating myself, so it's a massive improvement.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Considering all the issues people had with the Mastercards, will you be surprised if the credit never shows up?

I'm half expecting it at this point. Though that would be fun too. I'd love to hear the Verizon rep explain the situation to me.

Deitus

It's really, really bad. I regret the few 2D games I bought for 360, because when you have to chose between using an analog stick and a shitty d-pad, why even bother?

On a related note, what's up with 2D games on Steam that have controller support but are analog only? How does that happen?

It's baffling to me that the X360 controller's d-pad is what it is. It's barely functional.

What's baffling to me is how much gets a pass on that controller. The bumpers are passable, but not good for a lot of genres. And the d-pad is almost unusable. I mean overall it's a decent controller, and it has no problem with shooters. But people calling it the greatest controller of all time in spite of the issues it has just confuses me.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I don't understand; what's with the sad face? 15Mb down 2Mb up is a pretty great internet speed.

We used to have 5mbps before uverse, but we are overpaying (even though discounts; we lost service due to an error for a month) paying for 18/5mbps now.

Tellaerin

The only reason I knew Firefall existed was because of Crystal Graziano's cosplay. >.> (See Fig. 1)
Had no idea what was up with the game, other than it being some sort of MMOFPS.

Fig. 1

Your writeup's definitely piqued my interest. Maybe I'll download it and get my ass handed to me by randoms mess around with it some.

Lomax

I'm half expecting it at this point. Though that would be fun too. I'd love to hear the Verizon rep explain the situation to me.

Well the help number that used to work for the cards is just a recorded message now saying to email them, so yeah hopefully it works for you. I've got two unfunded cards I'm still waiting to hear back about so in a way I'm glad it's cable bill only now, I have a little more faith that will work given all the info it asks for.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I honestly think that Abyss Odyssey is excellent, and I had absolutely no idea going in I would have thought that. The elements all seem like games I don't particularly like (I don't like combo brawlers, I don't really like Smash Bros, I wasn't a huge fan of Zeno Clash, I haven't played the Souls games), but this was so cool. I really only watched a few GIFs and though the art style looked cool, but not that I've spent some time with the game, it's an awesome game. I've played about two hours and I'm ready to share some thoughts.

Basically, it's a 2D platformer dungeon crawler. It's got randomly generated levels with traps and enemies and treasure. It's got a number of mechanics that are directly connected to the Souls games (I don't mean "this is a hard game"--I'm not an idiot, I don't just compare games to the Souls games because they're hard). If this sounds at all like something you'd like, I recommend you check out the game. Because a lot of the value of the game comes from discovering stuff, which explains almost nothing. I've been having a really good time discovering stuff and I think I enjoyed it more because I didn't read a post like this about the game before I played. So really, just play the game. Skip my post. Don't read it. Some of you aren't convinced, I'll continue.

You spawn in a city where you can do some shopping. You enter the abyss. You are continually descending down through a dungeon that has about 15 floors before it gets to the bottom. Some floors let you branch off to other vertical tunnels of level, and the game makes it clear that
there are two other spawn points, so you can start in any of the three tunnels
Each level is a few minutes long. The levels are randomly generated but there's a good variety of level components so far; often times I saw the same shapes reused, but with different tilesets, traps, or combat scenarios. Levels can be easy, medium, or hard and at the end of each level you see a map of the entire complex so you can work out which parts you want to go through and which you don't. You also have a little mini-map like a Metroidvania game (in other respects, the game is NOT a Metroidvania game)

You play as a girl. She can equip a one-handed sword, three pieces of equipment, and a familiar. Weapons have different damage as well as different effect/affinities. Curse, Poison, Ice, and Fire are some of the affinities I've found. Equipment modifies weapon speed, recovery time, damage from different enemy attacks, and also has abilities like reflecting damage back unto enemies, experience boost, gold boost, mana boost, etc. You have several different standard attacks (swing up, swing right, swing down) as well as air modifiers for each. You can block and dodge. You also have several SPECIAL attacks, which work sort of like Smash attacks in smash bros (tilt stick; right stick by default or left stick+a button). You unlock specials and slot three at a time. Each special can also be leveled up with skill points, which modify the characteristics of the specials (the skill points can be put in one of three categories, and each category can be stacked). Specials are free. You can combo cancel into specials. You can also grapple/throw enemies. When you finally charge up your mana bar, and this is not all that often, you can do a superpowered attack. Save this for bosses. More on bosses later. Is the combat good? I have no idea. I don't like Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, God of War, etc. Normally when I do like a brawler, it's because the combat is shallow enough to get out of my way. But I like the combat here, and there does seem to me to be depth. At this early juncture, I think the combat is good. It is fairly deliberate, though, and not very agile. I'm still trying to grasp dodging.

You occasionally see dying soldiers who cough up loot. Soldiers also occasionally show up to help you fight, they are extremely helpful. If you die, you are instantly swapped out with a soldier. There are multiple types of soldiers. They have more limited attacks than you and no mana bar. As the soldier you can pick up the dropped equipment of the main character, but not actually equip it. If you survive long enough as the soldier to find a resurrection altar, you resurrect the main character. So, like the Souls games, right? If you die as the soldier, game over. More about that later.

Each level has altars, where you can modify your skill layout, merchants, who you can buy stuff off of
or challenge to a fight, I haven't had the guts to do this yet
, locked treasure chests (you get gold keys off enemies), silver treasure rooms (you also get silver keys off enemies). You can only pick up weapons that match your class, more on this later. You can also buy extremely expensive items that let you set checkpoints further down the abyss. I didn't bother with this as the game is also a roguelike. Oh yeah, the game is a roguelike. More about that later. As you fight enemies, you get EXP, which levels you up, which grows your health and adds the aforementioned skill points.

Every few levels you go into a bizarro dream-world where instead of playing as your character, you play as one of the enemies you've fought. Every single enemy has a different feel in terms of weapons and specials. If you beat a series of fights as this enemy, you can adopt the enemy as a familiar. As your standard character you can freely switch between your character and the familiar. You can also buy familiars from merchants.

There's a dude who plays guitar and asks for money to tell you proverbial advise. This is, like, "The early bird catches the worm" level stuff. I have no idea if this does anything. I pay him anyway, because I'm a nice guy and he seems like a nice guy. I don't know if he is.

At one point I found this giant cavern of gold with a fountain in the middle.
A soldier nearby told me it was good luck to put money in the fountain, so since I'm an idiot, I put every last cent I had in the fountain. It didn't do anything, at least initially

Every so often you fight minibosses, when you beat them you seem to unlock new special skills for your character.

At one point I ran into the Devil. He was playing violin. He told me that he had some special loot and he'd love to give it to me, since as long as he has the loot he can't move and he can only give it away if I accept it voluntarily. Of course, I thought "this guy seems like a pretty nice dude, I'll take it off his hands."
If you do this he announces, thanks sucker... but also part of the contract is that he's going to show up later and try to kill you. LOL OWNED. He was hard as fuck to kill.

So at this point I should mention some plot. The main character is an immortal dream of a sleeping warlock. Your objective is to get to the warlock and kill him. The first time I fought him I got him down to about 25% of his health, but ultimately died.

Some more shit you can unlock:
I think giving mad wads of cash unlocked a second character class, a sort of ghost monk. The ghost monk is much slower, uses two-handed swords, has a more deliberate and less combo-oriented combat system, and better reach. IMHO. As the ghost monk, I noticed the gold fountain room got swapped out with a boss room, where I fought an enormous dude with a horse, much bigger than the Warlock. When I killed him, I unlocked a second spawn location, so I guess I could enter the abyss from a second tunnel. I can tell from the map and the achievements that the game has a bunch of bosses. There are maybe 40-50 different enemies to unlock as familiars, and there's also a third playable class.

When you die you go to a sort of void in between worlds, where you can manage your character before respawning in the city. You keep your level and maybe your cash, but not your equipment, I think? The game doesn't explain it, but that's what it seemed like to me. I was level 11 when I died the first time and I think the boss was level 70 or so.

Every level looks different and has different traps. There are jungles and ice areas and lava and poison ivy and saw blades (you can throw enemies into traps. You can also push enemies off ledges and then when they claim back up you just knock them off again. This is fun.) The game looks spectacular with beautiful character design, incredibly intricate portrait art, and a wide variety of environments visually. The music is good but a little chintzy, I have no idea why it's driven by a Harpsicord. The game performed very well on my 2008 mid-tier gaming machine which is running ModBot in the background and was streaming network video.

It is a little stiff. This is by design. Deal with it. I thought the controls worked well with the 360 controller, even though it's analogue-only and a 2D game. I would not describe the game as hard but I would describe it as fulfilling so far.

So, again, this is a game that I went into thinking "it looks neat", and came out of thinking "this was awesome, I had no idea this was going to be this good". Will you like it? I have no idea. All I can do is describe the game and tell you how pleasantly surprised I was. Thanks Graveyard_Nito. Wonder what kind of emotes and BGs it has *checks market*

Here's a video of a badass Turkish dude who sells ice cream. It's a better use of your time than my post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2f09JgbZW4

Ventara

We used to have 5mbps before uverse, but we are overpaying (even though discounts; we lost service due to an error for a month) paying for 18/5mbps now.

Ah gotcha. Internet can be pretty expensive. I wonder how much it'll cost if that 10Gb/s internet ever makes it way to consumers here in Canada. I'd reach my bandwidth cap in a day, lol.

KarmaCow

All this talk about AO is making it tempting but it's just one of things I rather try before buying. The game probably is built around its stiff movement but that kind of thing is a deal breaker for me if it doesn't feel good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom