• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocobro

So I finished The Witcher two days ago and I really enjoyed it. The combat system was alright, nothing amazing, it didn't really bother me too much. I found it interesting that doing one quest earlier than another would change the outcome of later quests
(Chapter 2 with the Detective Raymond Maarloeve)
. I did all of the quests that I came across and I felt the first three chapters were longer than I would've liked and that the length of last two was just about right for me.

I am thinking about starting Witcher 2 soon and is it suggested to use the full combat rebalance mod from the get-go? I don't think I'll play multiple playthroughs. Would it conflict with the completion of any quests or achievements? Additionally, I've read some people recommend using a mod that removes the weight of items, do you guys agree?

Scythian

My word might not have much weight as I was the one hyping the game but yes It is worth the 10 dollars. The game fleshes out and gets better as you play and later runs things get smoother.

It looks like it, the one thing that gets me anxious is that I hadn't noticed it's a rogue-like *-* I always thought it was procedurally generated, but not that you had to restart the abyss every time you play. Seems it leads to long sessions, which isn't exactly my cup of tea, but if the game is good enough I might manage.

CDPR has pacing issues at the beginning of their games. Takes a couple of chapters to really start up.

In Witcher 1, you have to play through the halfway point of the game!

Yeah, once a certain point in The Witcher 1, I was hooked until I finished it, but for me at least I was having fun since like Chapter 2 or 3.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It looks like it, the one thing that gets me anxious is that I hadn't noticed it's a rogue-like *-* I always thought it was procedurally generated, but not that you had to restart the abyss every time you play. Seems it leads to long sessions, which isn't exactly my cup of tea, but if the game is good enough I might manage.

You can beat 1 run in 1 hour or 2. My first playthrough was 3 hours (4 deaths) so it isnt that hard to reach the bottom really.

LOL Vsync you simply gotta quit the game and reopen the game. Otherwise force it by the graphic card which isnt hard to do and still better than in game solutions.

Do I still need to use Steam Mover to move things installed to my C drive to my D drive? SSD is almost out of space and I want to free some up.

I just did this, and I didn't use Steam Mover. Steam has a built-in option for this now, so here's what you can do.

1. Go to Setting -> Downloads
2. Click the Steam Libraries Folder button
3. Click the Add a Library button
4. Choose where you would like to store your games (the folder has to be empty, and it'll automatically nest the Steam folders so you'll have Steam\SteamApps if your folder is called Steam)
5. Exit Steam once you have the new Library set up
6. Copy all of your games to the new library folder you set up, putting them in the correct folders.
7. Copy your .acf files from OldLibrary\SteamApps to NewLibrary\SteamApps
8. Run Steam

You should be good to go from here, and Steam should know that you moved the files. From here on, when installing games, you can now choose to install them in your new library directory.

Oublieux

I am thinking about starting Witcher 2 soon and is it suggested to use the full combat rebalance mod from the get-go? I don't think I'll play multiple playthroughs. Would it conflict with the completion of any quests or achievements? Additionally, I've read some people recommend using a mod that removes the weight of items, do you guys agree?

I would play the game vanilla... the combat mod changes how the game is played and throws off the usefulness of the original skill tree.

I say yes for the mod that removes weight; it was annoying having to manage an inventory of items, of which most were useless.

And Vsync works for me, the friendly fire will probably be tweaked and other bugs fixed soon. After completing one playthrough I say buy it.

Must be nice. My game is a tearing mess.
And while I might be able to force it in the control panel of my card, I shouldn't need to.

Add in the fact that I can't even finish the game because it keeps taking away my ability to walk on resurrection... and I can't recommend it to anyone at this point.

Strider for 8.99

Worth it?

Pardon my French here... but...
Hell. Fucking. No.
Shit isn't worth free, let alone $9.

Chris R

I just did this, and I didn't use Steam Mover. Steam has a built-in option for this now, so here's what you can do.

1. Go to Setting -> Downloads
2. Click the Steam Libraries Folder button
3. Click the Add a Library button
4. Choose where you would like to store your games (the folder has to be empty, and it'll automatically nest the Steam folders so you'll have Steam\SteamApps if your folder is called Steam)
5. Exit Steam once you have the new Library set up
6. Copy all of your games to the new library folder you set up, putting them in the correct folders.
7. Copy your .acf files from OldLibrary\SteamApps to NewLibrary\SteamApps
8. Run Steam

You should be good to go from here, and Steam should know that you moved the files. From here on, when installing games, you can now choose to install them in your new library directory.

I guess I need to lookup game IDs since I want to keep several games on the SSD.

That's AMDs 780Ti equivalent, so damn right it's a beast. Was it a partially defunct unit, that's why it was sold used and caused trouble? Or is AMD generally lower quality.

To be honest I don't know what the issue was, but it has to be something on my side. The RMA found nothing wrong and it was sold through Amazon Warehouse (which I assume does some checking on their side?). If you go the used route, just make sure it's a company that has a transferable warranty (like Gigabyte).

I've always been team Green, but the value at the high end seems to be swinging AMDs way right now.

Grief.exe

You know what Cook, Serve, Delicious needs? After every day you have to pay to keep the air conditioning, rent, etc.

If you don't afford the rent, then your landlord comes down and stands in the restaurant distracting you with insults in broken English. If you can't pay the utilities, then your customers are more impatient that day.

Didn't a lot of gaffers praise this game? Could you elaborate?

I haven't seen too much praise.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think we should all take a moment of silence to appreciate that Valve doesn't advertise Slim Jim to us when using Steam... oh wait....

Ads aren't really "ads" on PS4. They are more like suggestions and information about new games. So you can't compare them to the Xbone ads.

Go ahead Valve, suggest Slim Jim to us.

Chocobro

I would play the game vanilla... the combat mod changes how the game is played and throws off the usefulness of the original skill tree.

I say yes for the mod that removes weight; it was annoying having to manage an inventory of items, of which most were useless.

Oh OK, I'll do that then. Thanks :)

Hugstable

Banned
Welp I bought Shantae Risky's Revenge anyway. Card prices might make back like a good 3 bucks also, and will pick up Magic 2015 after impressions tomorrow and if I can just get buy with the standard edition instead of getting the complete edition. Also I saw this in the description,

*Premium Boosters purchased individually or in bundles can be opened once you’ve completed the Innistrad Chapter.

Does this mean that you have to buy the digital boosters themselves? I'm assuming you get free boosters by playing the game, but alot of the really good cards are in these premium boosters? Just want to know what I"m getting into, cause I really want to get into one of these digital card games.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
You know what Cook, Serve, Delicious needs? After every day you have to pay to keep the air conditioning, rent, etc.

If you don't afford the rent, then your landlord comes down and stands in the restaurant distracting you with insults in broken English. If you can't pay the utilities, then your customers are more impatient that day.

I haven't seen too much praise.

Also, you need to pay for all the supplies you use to make the food

Skab

Ooo, Halfway is releasing on the 22nd.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253150/

Someone should really make a thread for this game. It looks terrific.

B32rkHB.gif

And dat soundtrack

I forgot to mention V-Sync in my Abyss Odyssey impressions.

I was planning on using D3D Override to force V-sync originally, until I read the tip to turn it on in-game and then restart the game, which worked. I saw tearing in the menu until I booted the game back up.

Actually just decided to stay up to play it again.

I'm sure Corrosivefrost will tell you exactly why Strider 2014 kicked his dog.
just ribbing you a bit :)

I thought it was fine. I think $9 is a perfectly fine price for it. $15 was too much (I paid $15 for the PS3 version).

Its a pretty straight forward Metroidvania (more Metroid then Castlevania). The enemies do get repetitive (you're mostly slashing the same sort of robotic infantry, though there are some larger mechs and some mutants). The bosses are decent for the most part.

The game doesn't have a lot of replayability, but if you can stomach a once through fast action slashing game for about 6 hours or so at $9 you could do worse.

Its not great, but its OK. It could have been better, and that's a bit of a shame given the series reputation: Amazing Arcade game, interesting NES port, Pretty awesome arcade?PS1 follow up.

He has Ninja Gaiden Yaiba featured on his profile. Dont believe his lies.

Which is a better game by a mile than Strider for sure. I don't regret 1 penny of my Yaiba purchase; I put 24 hours into that game and beat it on Hard and Nightmare. The side scrolling throwback Brawler minigame is almost worth the price I paid alone.

Meanwhile, I have 15 hours on the clock for Strider, 5+ of which were idling for cards. I entirely regret somehow letting my hopes for a real Strider game allowing me to change my mind about the game the week before release and pre-ordering for $9.

I've nearly 100% completed both games (I did for Strider and then promptly uninstalled it). I'd say I'm qualified to commentate on both releases; meanwhile Nito has 2 hours on record for Strider (he apparently didn't even like it enough to finish it :p) and he doesn't even own Yaiba.

That said, I'll give you the same rundown I give everyone and if you want more details than I put here, add me on Steam and I'll be happy to chat with you about it.

-Combat is boring and repetitive
-The majority of the game consists of hold direction, mash attack (there's no real reason to use the secondary attack button).
-Poor pacing
-No difficulty (at least for me) outside of a few poorly designed spots
-Extremely short with no reason to replay
-Horrible story; the VA and cutscenes are something out of a budget title
-Poor attention to detail (this goes with the above)
-Lack of variety in everything from enemies to environments

The only positive thing I had to say was that traversal becomes less of a chore when you get the catapult slingshot type ability but you get it later in the game than you should (think of inFamous if you've ever played that and how long it takes to get Cole's gliding ability).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

dont listen to him he's trolling you. he actually bought it today. why would he buy it if he hated it

I'm getting strong Sword of the Stars: The Pit vibes from this game, and that's always a good thing.

theres actually a new DLC for The Pit, I just found out today. Adds a new character and some weapons and monsters

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what's an amazing older game on steam that's forgotten about?

what a strange question. I bet most of the answers will be games that everyone suggests during sales anyway, as "amazing" and "forgotten" usually dont go hand in hand

Grief.exe

Almost got to 4 stars in Cook, Serve, Delicious. Just got too exhausted near the end and needed to take a break until tomorrow. Concentration was faltering and I was making easy mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom