• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
I do it by gameplay genre or the main draw of the game.
Examples by gameplay genre.

Binary Domain is a Third Person Shooter.
BattleBlock Theater is a platformer.
Syberia is an Adventure game.

By main draw of the game.
Don't Starve is a Survival game for example.
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines is a Stealth game (and a great one at that).
Portal is a First Person Puzzle.

I also have categories for technical reasons. ZZZ Don't Work for, well as it says, titles that don't work on my system either due to age or incompatible hardware or other issues I'm not willing to fix at the moment (such as those few titles that require a downgrade of a driver).

I also don't put a game into a category until I beat it and have from recent experience a good idea of what it is, or at least a good idea of what I got out of it and would play for again (e.g. Horror for Motte Island.
My way is slower to be sure, but lets me believe in a firmer grasp in how I set up categories and a good idea of what to play next for my "backlog" because it's all in one giant unsorted pile.

Those are good. My idea of genres is still firmly rooted in 2001. I'll take some cues from you. Thanks.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The only categories you need.

the cuter she gets, the more evil she looks...

Got_My_Eyes_On_You.gif

edit: also JaseC, first sharon stone, now jared leto...I thought you only used Saoirse avatars?

Speevy

Banned
These are the categories I made for the nearly 500 games I have.

Action RPG
Action/Platformer
Action/Puzzle
Beat Em' Up/Brawler
Dungeon/Rogue-Lite
Fighting
First Person Action/Adventure
Multiplayer/Arena Shooter
Music/Rhythm
Puzzle
Racing/Driving
Simulation
Sports
Strategy
Third Person Action/Adventure
Traditional Adventure
Traditional Shooter
Turn-Based RPG
Unique

Traditional shooter refers to arcade style shooters either horizontal, vertical, or combined. Multiplayer/Arena shooter is a game like Orcs Must Die or Broforce that I really couldn't find a better name for. Puzzle is a puzzler without action, something like Tetris or Lumines in which you don't control a character. Unique is genre-bending stuff that wouldn't fit other categories at all.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Seeing a thread about how you can beat the Alien Isolation without killing anyone reminds me of one simple fact, every game needs a hug button. Perhaps the xenomorph just wants a hug, Ripley never thought of that now did she?

Oh and IndieGameStand is having a sale on several "roguelike" titles, four of which are on Steam. https://indiegamestand.com/sale/

Scythian

Bought Abyss Odyssey anyway :p Couldn't resist.
Digging it so far, the movement is kinda clunky, but the fighting is adequately fun.

Though, I'm ashamed to say I'm getting my ass handed to me in the Moderate/Hard levels, I just feel like I'm not controlling my character well, or the enemy just attacks without restraint sometimes. Ouch.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have 3 categories:

Finished / Done With
Not Played
Playing

recently Ive been moving games I finished on 360 or ps3 to the finished/done with category, I used to wait until I actually played them on pc

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The developers for Max: Curse of Brotherhood really get off on killing the player. It feels like stupid irritating design. And it's kind of twisted because the style of the game is like D-tier Dreamworks kids film and you play as a kid who just fucked up but now he has to pay by dying like 500 times due to bullshit obstacles preventing him from repairing the damage he caused.

Dr.Acula

Banned
These are the categories I made for the nearly 500 games I have.

Action RPG
Action/Platformer
Action/Puzzle
Beat Em' Up/Brawler
Dungeon/Rogue-Lite
Fighting
First Person Action/Adventure
Multiplayer/Arena Shooter
Music/Rhythm
Puzzle
Racing/Driving
Simulation
Sports
Strategy
Third Person Action/Adventure
Traditional Adventure
Traditional Shooter
Turn-Based RPG
Unique

Traditional shooter refers to arcade style shooters either horizontal, vertical, or combined. Multiplayer/Arena shooter is a game like Orcs Must Die or Broforce that I really couldn't find a better name for. Puzzle is a puzzler without action, something like Tetris or Lumines in which you don't control a character. Unique is genre-bending stuff that wouldn't fit other categories at all.

Where's "Metroidvania?"

dont listen to him he's trolling you. he actually bought it today. why would he buy it if he hated it

theres actually a new DLC for The Pit, I just found out today. Adds a new character and some weapons and monsters

That's a lie. I've owned it since launch, so I couldn't buy it.

inUSyDqXCIxG.gif
inUSyDqXCIxG.gif

$186 BILL CREDIT UNLOCKED.

This means that we are officially past the 2 months of negative bills threshold, people! This is absolutely absurd and I can't thank everyone enough for all their help in getting here. Without further delay, here is the current scoreboard:

I want to highlight the following members of SteamGAF for this round of contributions, in order:

tiny raptor flies like a big eagle, dropping a code from his mighty talons!

Mono has shed the mantle of Stereo, being the first to join the three-code-club!

CorrosiveFrost has used his corrosive magic, melting and yet somehow freezing and shattering the locks into the 2-timers club. I am basically writing fanfic now god help me.

Toki767 becomes the vice-president of the three-code-club with an additional code!

Chocobro is quite the bro by contributing his extra code to the cause!

Jawmuncher munches up M&Ms and spits out codes being the third person to join the three-code-club!

BinaryPork2737 should change his name to TernaryPork2737 after contribution another code!

iosefe might as well call himself Iosefe of Arimathea because he donating, son!

You people are seriously, seriously amazing.

Niiiiiice.

Playing a game like Shovel Knight really drives home just how shitty the 360 controller d-pad is.

Didn't need anything to drive that point home.

Is the Dualshock 4 better than the Dualshock 3? I love my DS3 but don't like the R2/L2 buttons.

TWAU was excellent! I'm glad we got a good ending.

REAL. TRIGGERS.
After using these, I had 0 complaints about the DS3.
I still use mine daily instead of my DS4 for the most part.

PS3 has a demo I think. Sucks no demo for PC.

Yeah, that part is unfortunate... not sure why Capcom didn't do it for all platforms.

I enjoyed it but its nothing revolutionary. The difficultly is easy but it is fun to play.

EDIT: Wait for Winter Sale.

Did you even finish it? (Not asking to be a dick -- your profile only shows 2.1 hours clocked -- did you play offline or something? Most people who beat it on their first run take around the 3 hour mark if they don't look for all upgrades, I think.)

-----

Restarting abyss odyssey with vsync enabled does make it work it seems. One of my knocks on it gone... at least my eyes can stop bleeding now. :D

----

What "genre" are games like Edge of Space, Terraria, and Starbound?

Speevy

Banned
The played/unplayed category is great for those who complete games, but for weirdos like me who hop from game to game, it's less effective.

Relax.MX

I tried to play Splinter Cell Chaos Theory reminded me of those dark years where console games on PC was just crap, not even something as simple as the control support and is a shame. Game like this or Beyond Good and Evil.

Turfster

Seeing a thread about how you can beat the Alien Isolation without killing anyone reminds me of one simple fact, every game needs a hug button. Perhaps the xenomorph just wants a hug, Ripley never thought of that now did she?

Oh and IndieGameStand is having a sale on several "roguelike" titles, four of which are on Steam. https://indiegamestand.com/sale/
A hug button, and a "hum along to the soundtrack" button.

Miguel81

I tried to play Splinter Cell Chaos Theory reminded me of those dark years where console games on PC was just crap, not even something as simple as the control support and is a shame. Game like this or Beyond Good and Evil.

It supports DirectInput. I have to use BetterDS3 for my DS3 to work properly. Overall, it's a great port compared to the trash that surrounded it at the time.

Turfster

I loved that Luigi hums along to Luigi's Mansion's soundtrack. More games should include things like that.

You will love Transistor.

Also, nobody replied to my question about the Japanese DLC for Tomb Raider.
How much is it? =p
(No, I just can't get there via the webstore, keeps kicking me out even with cc shenanigans)

Speevy

Banned
That's a lie. I've owned it since launch, so I couldn't

I would classify any game in which building is a primary objective as a simulation. Even if it simulates something fictional or a concept. Animal Crossing is a simulation. Cook, Serve, Delicious is a simulation. I don't expect everyone or even most people to agree with my definitions, though.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
the cuter she gets, the more evil she looks...

Got_My_Eyes_On_You.gif

edit: also JaseC, first sharon stone, now jared leto...I thought you only used Saoirse avatars?

You missed the time he used a picture of Draco Malfoy.

I loved that Luigi hums along to Luigi's Mansion's soundtrack. More games should include things like that.

Dedicated buttons that cause the MC to hug his best friend are better than humming. I would post a video link but right now I'm on mobile.

ModBot said:
Re-offering a couple not taken in the last raffle.
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Grampa Simpson, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

X-COM: Terror from the Deep -- MB-BB6B41DBE82BE2DB - Taken by Ezalc
X-COM: Apocalypse -- MB-4C0FEA849F233AB5 - Taken by maneil99
re-give!

Mokoi

Banned
So I tried playing agricultural simulator 2011 because this game sounds amazing. However, it just freezes after the logos appear. Has anybody run into this problem, and know how to fix it?
__

Also speevvy just use my three categories. They're the only ones you should be using.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The early Splinter Cell games are actually better on mouse and keyboard due to the fine speed control allowed by the mouse wheel. Much more accurate than a thumbstick.

ModBot said:
Re-Give even more!

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Grampa Simpson, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

X-COM: UFO Defense -- MB-1E5F9F72B6F5164D - Taken by Zeliard
Re-give!

Caerith

The xenomorph wanted more than just a hug. Alien is a parable about respecting personal space.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Some use the term Sandbox RPG or Sandbox Action, others have used Terraria-Lite as a joke on Roguelike/lite. Personally I place titles like those as Crafting, as that is the main focus.

Yakkue

You will love Transistor.
I loved the humming in Luigis Mansion because it wasn't so serious, the humming in Transistor is a bit too...stylish for my tastes (but it fits the game).

How much is it? =p
(No, I just can't get there via the webstore, keeps kicking me out even with cc shenanigans)

Regular price is $9,99 , but it's currently 75% off ($2.49).

I just beat the boss of Abyss Odyssey for the first time. In total, I played about 4 hours and thought it was pretty good. I plan to play as another character tomorrow.

It only took my second run through as the monk to get to a high enough level to just barely beat the boss on my first encounter with him. I expected to have to use campfire things and buy really expensive weapons to eventually beat him, to be honest. I'd say it ended up being a much easier experience overall than Rogue Legacy, even if you have to "beat" it in a single sitting.

Rhaknar

should I JaseC the old tomb raider games?

am I that guy now?

Ventara

How much is it? =p

$10 regular, but seems to be on sale for $2.50. Edit: lol, I'm such a slow typer.

Timewasters.
Also known as "Wait, I spent the last 3 hours digging a stupid tunnel to nowhere? I need to reconsider my priorities."

You're missing out. Creating the perfect tunnel system to access deep underneath to search for rare materials or to create a shortcut through a mountain can be pretty addicting.

Hearthstone is really addicting.. oh my..

Never really been into card games before, but I'm having a pretty good time playing this one! Accessible and easy to learn!

BHK3

Banned
You're missing out. Creating the perfect tunnel system to access deep underneath to search for rare materials or to create a shortcut through a mountain can be pretty addicting.

Did the same thing in minecraft and sooner or later it got boring/too much to make a system of tunnels through infinite generated underground areas. Had some fun time being a dwarf though, tunneling into a mountain and making minecarts and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom