• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventara

Uhhhhh. Yeah no. It sucks. Especially when you live in a town with only two services who pretty much offer that speed cap. I speak from experience.

It only sucks if you haven't experienced terrible internet. Trust me, it's good. At least better than what I used to have. I think it was 5Mb down and 500Kb up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
All this talk about AO is making it tempting but it's just one of things I rather try before buying. The game probably is built around its stiff movement but that kind of thing is a deal breaker for me if it doesn't feel good.

If you want to wait for a sale, wait for a sale, but I guess all I can stress is how positively surprised I was and so I really recommend that you don't forget about it. Like, keep it in mind.

dot

Is the Dualshock 4 better than the Dualshock 3? I love my DS3 but don't like the R2/L2 buttons.

TWAU was excellent! I'm glad we got a good ending.

The DS4 shoulder buttons are much better. The only problem i have with the controller though are the analogs...

All this talk about AO is making it tempting but it's just one of things I rather try before buying. The game probably is built around its stiff movement but that kind of thing is a deal breaker for me if it doesn't feel good.

Yeah, i need a demo too.

Well this is lame, I just bought Saints Row IV in the recent Steam sale and none of the DLC. Now Deep Silver has released the Game of the Century Edition for Saints Row IV but I don't get a discount for already owning the base game and all of the DLC on its own is 75.76$. Deep Silver is pulling off a pretty decent impersonation of Bethesda. So now I'm just going to wait for another sale and see which ends up being cheaper, all of the DLC on its own or the GotC Edition. Probably going to be the GotC Edition, so I'll have to entries of Saints Row IV in my library?

Parsnip

Shovel Knight on a Dualshock 4 felt glorious.
Time to upgrade to a DS4 or XBO controller.
It's baffling to me that the X360 controller's d-pad is what it is. It's barely functional.
I've been thinking about getting a DS4, but I'm waiting...
Yes, but wait until the new ones are released in September before you purchase. The current ones have issues with rubber wearing down, and shoulder buttons sticking.
...because of this. It seems like it's not happening to everyone, but my luck with new hardware has been pretty awful as of late, so I'm waiting for a bit.

Lomax

Well this is lame, I just bought Saints Row IV in the recent Steam sale and none of the DLC. Now Deep Silver has released the Game of the Century Edition for Saints Row IV but I don't get a discount for already owning the base game and all of the DLC on its own is 75.76$. Deep Silver is pulling off a pretty decent impersonation of Bethesda. So now I'm just going to wait for another sale and see which ends up being cheaper, all of the DLC on its own or the GotC Edition. Probably going to be the GotC Edition, so I'll have to entries of Saints Row IV in my library?

The only DLC that isn't purely cosmetic is the season pass which was $2.50 in the last sale and should be again.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I just read that essay and cried a bit. Such detailed impressions Stump <3

The DS4 shoulder buttons are much better. The only problem i have with the controller though are the analogs...

Yeah, i need a demo too.

PS3 has a demo I think. Sucks no demo for PC.

I am trying to trade some bundle keys for a copy or copies to gift out to friends. Basically I have to send you the key first, which yea redeem first than you send me the stuff. I made a gdoc with the games.

I could help. I have no reason to steal any games. Backlog is huge enough as it is.

I honestly think that Abyss Odyssey is excellent, and I had absolutely no idea going in I would have thought that. The elements all seem like games I don't particularly like (I don't like combo brawlers, I don't really like Smash Bros, I wasn't a huge fan of Zeno Clash, I haven't played the Souls games), but this was so cool. I really only watched a few GIFs and though the art style looked cool, but not that I've spent some time with the game, it's an awesome game. I've played about two hours and I'm ready to share some thoughts.

I'm bummed because I started reading this and felt like it was going to be a really good read, until I got to the part about how those who are already sold on the game should not read the rest. Being huge anti-spoiler pro-discovery, I'll just go back to playing for now.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I am trying to trade some bundle keys for a copy or copies to gift out to friends. Basically I have to send you the key first, which yea redeem first than you send me the stuff. I made a gdoc with the games.

Like a 4-pack? Not sure if you can unpack one without redeeming a copy to your library. Maybe I'm wrong though

Zeliard

When you finally charge up your mana bar, and this is not all that often, you can do a superpowered attack. Save this for bosses.

Just to note, this attack is not only used for inflicting damage but also for
absorbing enemy souls that you want to turn into. As far as I can tell this only works when the enemy is at or below your level.

Also stump is drunk right now, in case you were wondering.

Ventara

So you're looking to trade some game codes for some game gifts? Neogaf has pretty trustworthy users, so you don't have to worry about getting scammed. Here's the B/S/T thread. Just post what you have and what you want.

Deitus

So is Strider really that bad? I've seen a lot of hate for it on GAF, but basically none outside of that. My friend just recently played through it and loves it, but I kind of don't trust his game recommendations.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So is Strider really that bad? I've seen a lot of hate for it on GAF, but basically none outside of that. My friend just recently played through it and loves it, but I kind of don't trust his game recommendations.

I enjoyed it but its nothing revolutionary. The difficultly is easy but it is fun to play.

EDIT: Wait for Winter Sale.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
what's an amazing older game on steam that's forgotten about?

Ignoring things that have gotten some notice due to Steam sales this past year or bundles, such as Ghost Master

One I just recently found again and recommended recently. Marauder.

I recently learned a game I fell in love with several years back is on Steam and it's one I quite recommend.

Marauder , a Tactical game with RPG levelling up system, set in an alternative history where the old Soviet world in a state of anarchy (no rule) and only the strong and prepared will survive.

With limited resources (weapons, ammo, explosives, etc) one must carefully and strategically plan out and execute how to survive in the streets or buildings, but as the saying go "a plan is the first thing thrown out in war" and one must adapt. Plenty of variety and ways to take out the enemy and I found myself playing through missions more than once to see if I could do better or use less ammo. Setting up traps and killzones (e.g. let your enemy walk into a street as you and your squad shoot at them from the high ground in buildings) was rather satisfying.
Learn the types of enemies, figure out how to take advantage of the terrain, buildings, and locations that will offer the best protection for you.

As resources are limited you must procure items such as bullets, scavenge through the map as you run from or plan out attacks, and raid your enemies (their bodies or their bases) to ensure you have what you need to survive.

As a RPG, the build does matter. You can't be a catch-all that attempts to be a jack of all trade, focus on a design or build. It's "modern" combat, so learn how best to be the type of fighter you need to be. Assault riffle, sniper rifle, Rambo (I don't recommend this one), what have you, play accordingly.

A surprisingly well written story that has brought forth comparisons to the classic Fallout games, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and Commander series, made all that much stronger by what you yourself can put into as you play a normal human whose life can be taken out rather easily as he fights to survive and improve his chances.

While a complete game, it does have some technical issues such as the occasional enemy walking through a wall (rarely), missing textures (not always noticeable in a ruined city), and a weird pause after two sound files overlap when they shouldn't. Nothing that hurts the game.
Warning, this is an older game designed for Windows Xp, so run in compatibility mode. I haven't heard of any troubles for those running Windows Vista/7, but I know some builds of 8 have an issue with it due to color scheme, which if that happens to you there is a fix online somewhere.

Suggestion before you play is to go through the options. Mouse sensitivity and sound especially.

Beyond that and tastes may vary, so note I'm just recommending them as old games that have been forgotten and perhaps shouldn't have been. They could be amazing to the right person however.

Rogue Trooper. A mid 2000s third person shooter that will by no means wow you with it's graphics, controls, or ideas of it's time, but holds up quite well after all these years and is quite suitable for a number of different play styles (stealth, run and gun, explosive, etc) with a nice story behind it.

SpaceForce Rogue Universe. While it is no Freespace II that is quite well remembered and full of mods, SpaceForce is still an open universe, free as you please, space exploration game with numerous planets to visit, ships to pilot, and enemies to fight in as hip simulator/dog fight title.

LUMINES. Yes, the PSP puzzle gem that tricks you into thinking you have an effect on the music came out on Steam.

The Path , an exploration adventure game based on The Little Red Riding Hood, a touch of horror.

Freedom Force. This one truly is an amazing game, a Superhero based RPG full of options and variety in very satisfying combat. Now those who love it can't imagine it would be forgotten, but to many just blank stares will be had when it's brought up.

The Dig. Another that to fans can't have been forgotten, but to many it's just not known. The Dig is a LucasArts point and click adventure, but was never one of the bigger names nor did it have a popular license attached to it, and yet to many it can be one of their favourites.

Altitude , a multiplayer free for all in planes with a very arcade sense to it. If you can get it with several friends and play together, it easily holds up against anything released recently of the same bent.

Commandos series.
I don't trust myself to not type a long winded review of it right now and being slightly sick that wouldn't come out well. So a quote from another user.
The Commandos franchise is still my favourite series of stealth/strategy games. Carefully navigating between the cones of visions of the nazi guards, setting up traps to take out a particular enemy, timing your units' actions with pinpoint accuracy to achieve an objective, getting your hands on an enemy general's outfit and sneaking through the map as the Spy, sniping a top dog from a roof on the other side of the map as the Sniper, (non-lethally) clearing out an entire train as the Green Beret... So good when a plan comes together.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Probably going to be the GotC Edition, so I'll have to entries of Saints Row IV in my library?

No, it's just a Steam bundle, not its own game like Fallout 3 GOTY. The vast majority of games with editions split across separate apps are GFWL titles and this is because GFWL doesn't support unlocking additional content like even Uplay does -- you activate your game key and if you wanted DLC you had to go to the Marketplace to purchase and download it directly from MS.

Ventara

Commandos series.
I don't trust myself to not type a long winded review of it right now and being slightly sick that wouldn't come out well. So a quote from another user.

I can confirm that Commandos is AMAZING. It's more than just an RTS. The planning, and the pinpoint precision and timing to pull it off in high danger situations gives you a thrill like few other games can.

I can confirm that Commandos is AMAZING. It's more than just an RTS. The planning, and the pinpoint precision and timing to pull it off in high danger situations gives you a thrill like few other games can.

I used to play the heck out of Commandos when it released on PC oh so long ago. So many hours and fun. The thrill of pulling some of the missions off is amazing.

gabbo

Ignoring things that have gotten some notice due to Steam sales this past year or bundles, such as Ghost Master

Beyond that and tastes may vary, so note I'm just recommending them as old games that have been forgotten and perhaps shouldn't have been. They could be amazing to the right person however.
Freedom Force. This one truly is an amazing game, a Superhero based RPG full of options and variety in very satisfying combat. Now those who love it can't imagine it would be forgotten, but to many just blank stares will be had when it's brought up.

And fuuuuck those people. There hasn't been a better super hero game since.

Ventara

I made a post in BST but seeing this is steam related figured I'd ask here.

It's gonna be a hard sell with those prices. If I understand correctly, you want to trade your codes for the price they sell at on Steam 1:1 for a $5 steam gift item? Those games go on sale pretty often, and they're codes, not inventory gifts, which drops their value to some. And, as you mentioned, they're from bundles, so not that many are looking for them.

I used to play the heck out of Commandos when it released on PC oh so long ago. So many hours and fun. The thrill of pulling some of the missions off is amazing.

You know what? I think I'm gonna go back and replay the games. I replayed the Behind Enemy Lines a while back when it was bundled and I recall that the game had aged very well. Still as awesome as when I first played it.

Sarcasm

nah for a 5.99 it be 4.99 still. I know I can't get full price =)

Prices listed is just a general idea. Example starseed is 5.99, won't be exactly charging 5.99 =)

I also added a note to clarify that on gdoc.

It's gonna be a hard sell with those prices. If I understand correctly, you want to trade your codes for the price they sell at on Steam 1:1 for a $5 steam gift item? Those games go on sale pretty often, and they're codes, not inventory gifts, which drops their value to some. And, as you mentioned, they're from bundles, so not that many are looking for them.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It only sucks if you haven't experienced terrible internet. Trust me, it's good. At least better than what I used to have. I think it was 5Mb down and 500Kb up.

If that's the metric for shit you want to use, I used to have a 56K modem. I think it took half like an hour to download a song from Napster once. It was a Linkin Park song obv.

Ventara

If that's the metric for shit you want to use, I used to have a 56K modem. I think it took half like an hour to download a song from Napster once. It was a Linkin Park song obv.

Jeez man, relax. That was my internet 6 months ago. I'm not bringing up internet from 10 years back. Obviously, you guys have it better, so what's bad for you may not be for me. Different situations.

Altazor

extremely noobish question: in the case I decide to trade keys for Divinity: Original Sin, and considering the game is region locked... will I be able to add the version I trade to my library? Or am I already dead?
I haven't bought or traded anything yet, that's why I'm asking :p

Remember Me worth it for 10 bucks?

A lot of people on here like it a lot. Personally, I hate the combat with a passion and feel like it pretty much ruins most of the game. There are a lot of great ideas, and the environments are interesting. But, that combat. I just... Yeah. I'd wait.

Speevy

Banned
Does anyone have a good list of set categories for your games? I'm trying to do it, but it's a mess since I don't know what a quarter of this stuff even is.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I was about to get Alien Isolation from Dunder but reconsidered. It's a great price but man, what's the rush. I am weary of how that game will turn out. Rightly so, I think.

Ventara

extremely noobish question: in the case I decide to trade keys for Divinity: Original Sin, and considering the game is region locked... will I be able to add the version I trade to my library? Or am I already dead?
I haven't bought or traded anything yet, that's why I'm asking :p

Divinity: OS isn't region locked, only the deluxe edition is. And even if it was, there's a workaround that allows you to redeem it to your library, though some feel it's risky and not worth it since they feel you might get your account banned. I've never heard of it happening to anyone, but I certainly don't fault them, and I personally try not to do it either.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Remember Me worth it for 10 bucks?

yes, but Im one of those people that puts asthetics / vibe over gameplay most times. Gameplay isnt broken or anything, but it isnt the best. I really liked it tho, and the memory sections are awesome and original (unfortunately theres only 2 or 3)

I was about to get Alien Isolation from Dunder but reconsidered. It's a great price but man, what's the rush. I am weary of how that game will turn out. Rightly so, I think.

my reasoning for russian pre orders is, if I saw that game with that price in the normal steam store, like a price mistake happened and the game is 20 instead of 50, would I buy it? And the answer is yes, yes I would, I wouldnt even blink

Altazor

Divinity: OS isn't region locked, only the deluxe edition is. And even if it was, there's a workaround that allows you to redeem it to your library, though some feel it's risky and not worth it since they feel you might get your account banned. I've never heard of it happening to anyone, but I certainly don't fault them, and I personally try not to do it either.

thanks for the reply! I was doubtful 'cause this is what the Steam page for the game tells me:

Notice: Purchases made in Chile can only be added to your library if you are in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Bahamas, Belize, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Paraguay, Suriname, El Salvador, Uruguay and Venezuela.

73V3N

Banned
Anyone here knows a way to use DS3 and DS4 at the same time?

Me and my friend tried to play Sonic racing and Street Fighter IV but both of us were "player 1"

I'm using "DS4 to Xinput" and this method for the DS3

JaseC

I don't know if anyone has had their account restricted for using a VPN to activate a region-locked gift in particular as ACRTAG is relatively new, but using a VPN to skirt region-specific pricing -- which is exactly what that would fall under -- is something that Valve doesn't take kindly to if you happen to be caught.

Mokoi

Banned
Does anyone have a good list of set categories for your games? I'm trying to do it, but it's a mess since I don't know what a quarter of this stuff even is.

The only categories you need.

ZsotF7k.png

Yakkue

thanks for the reply! I was doubtful 'cause this is what the Steam page for the game tells me:

Notice: Purchases made in Chile can only be added to your library if you are in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Bahamas, Belize, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Paraguay, Suriname, El Salvador, Uruguay and Venezuela.

I bought Divinity OS through a russian steam friend, and activated it without problems (in germany).

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

I do it by gameplay genre or the main draw of the game.
Examples by gameplay genre.

Binary Domain is a Third Person Shooter.
BattleBlock Theater is a platformer.
Syberia is an Adventure game.

By main draw of the game.
Don't Starve is a Survival game for example.
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines is a Stealth game (and a great one at that).
Portal is a First Person Puzzle.

I also have categories for technical reasons. ZZZ Don't Work for, well as it says, titles that don't work on my system either due to age or incompatible hardware or other issues I'm not willing to fix at the moment (such as those few titles that require a downgrade of a driver).

I also don't put a game into a category until I beat it and have from recent experience a good idea of what it is, or at least a good idea of what I got out of it and would play for again (e.g. Horror for Motte Island). My way is slower to be sure, but lets me believe in a firmer grasp in how I set up categories and a good idea of what to play next for my "backlog" because it's all in one giant unsorted pile and I prefer it being organised somehow.
Helped me to decide mentally that I view Spelunky not as a Rogue-Lite, but at it's core and strongest as a platformer. That Wonderful End Of the The World is a Pick-Em-Up, Sports Non-Traditional is perfectly fine next to just plain Sport catagory, and so forth.

Ventara

Yeah, I thought so, too, but after digging around, I found out (no thanks to a certain gaffer) it's only the Deluxe Edition that's region locked. I was also link this site to use to see if a game is locked.

Divinity: Original Sin is not region locked, while Divinity: Original Sin Deluxe Pack is. You can tell because it has "AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries" and "PurchaseRestrictedCountries" on the page, while region free games would not.

I don't know if anyone has had their account restricted for using a VPN to activate a region-locked gift in particular as ACRTAG is relatively new, but using a VPN to skirt region-specific pricing -- which is exactly what that would fall under -- is something that Valve doesn't take kindly to if you happen to be caught.

Yeah, I know buying using VPN is a no-no. I was just talking about redeeming through Chrome.

JaseC

Yeah, I thought so, too, but after digging around, I found out (no thanks to a certain gaffer) it's only the Deluxe Edition that's region locked. I was also link this site to use to see if a game is locked.

Divinity: Original Sin is not region locked, while Divinity: Original Sin Deluxe Pack is. You can tell because it has "AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries" and "PurchaseRestrictedCountries" on the page, while region free games would not.

PurchaseRestrictedCountries has nothing to do with region-locking when it comes to store subs. Well, obviously if the sub is universal then it won't show up on certain stores, but the PRC flags don't impose any activation restrictions unless the sub is used for keys. The sub you're looking for is here

AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom