• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

He should have made it an Indie Gogo campaign to make a joke of the fact that backers are charged instantly as opposed to when the funding period ends.

Jasec, I noticed that my dlc count plummeted down yesterday. Do you know what all that is about?

It's a "joke". Those generally have to be funny but that one is not.

exactly!
At least he could have put some work into making it funny

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Moving the entire steam library to a different partition so I can install 64bit win7. Takes FOREVER

Should probably run a gamesavemanager backup first too

saunderez

Jasec, I noticed that my dlc count plummeted down yesterday. Do you know what all that is about?
Mines always been unrealistically high. I mean I have some DLC, mostly Rocksmith stuff, but it was pretty close to the total games I had which seemed way off. Maybe they just fixed the miscalculation.

Yrael

of course not,
you might missed part of the story (if it's possible, I'm not sure of it), but he met with the driver and a had a drink with him. The driver was on drugs, suffering from syphilis, if I remember correctly, it's been a while.
I can't remember it being hinted that protagonist was a driver even once, so I'm not sure what are you talking about.
Protagonist wasn't in coma... His wife was, not sure about coma, but glimpses of hospital are about her, I was sure of it while playing.

edited: one thing I don't understand about Dear Esther impressions, why so many people are convinced it is cryptic or can be understood in many ways. Except of history of the Island and symbolism of it, the story is straightforward and simple, even if told in complex way, the main story, I mean. I didn't see anything left to interpretation there,
only the ending itself

It's been a while since I've played it, but
you don't necessarily know whether the narrator is actually alive, or dead and in a state of limbo. Paul was the driver of the car that killed Esther, but I think there may have been some hints that Paul could actually be the narrator himself, wracked with guilt...two lines from near the end of the game:

"I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapour trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks."

"I will look to my left and see Esther Donnelly, flying beside me. I will look to my right and see Paul Jacobson, flying beside me. They will leave white lines carved into the air to reach the mainland, where help will be sent"

Note also how there were four people mentioned throughout the game - Esther, Donnelly, Paul, Jacobson - and yet at the end, these names are merged to become two people.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i just had the digital equivalent of finding money in your pants

had 4 unclaimed Bioshock Infinite items on TF2 when I opened the game for the first time in months, netted me like 1.30€ overall

Arthea

It's been a while since I've played it, but
you don't necessarily know whether the narrator is actually alive, or dead and in a state of limbo. Paul was the driver of the car that killed Esther, but I think there may have been some hints that Paul could actually be the narrator himself, wracked with guilt...two lines from near the end of the game:

"I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapour trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks."

"I will look to my left and see Esther Donnelly, flying beside me. I will look to my right and see Paul Jacobson, flying beside me. They will leave white lines carved into the air to reach the mainland, where help will be sent"

Well, maybe I already forgot,
I don't remember being any hints that Paul is protagonist.
I do remember described in detail why he ended on this island, and that grief was reason.

Mines always been unrealistically high. I mean I have some DLC, mostly Rocksmith stuff, but it was pretty close to the total games I had which seemed way off. Maybe they just fixed the miscalculation.

That's sound explanation. I never counted dlc, nor I plan to, though

I should prob. get a new avatar for the new thread...

Waddles?
S1e16_getting_the_spot_Waddles_can_never_reach.gif

maneil99

i just had the digital equivalent of finding money in your pants

had 4 unclaimed Bioshock Infinite items on TF2 when I opened the game for the first time in months, netted me like 1.30€ overall

I have like 15$ worth of TF2 promo items that I refuse to sell after accidentally selling my Genuine TF2 AWP :(

CassSept

of course not,
you might missed part of the story (if it's possible, I'm not sure of it), but he met with the driver and a had a drink with him. The driver was on drugs, suffering from syphilis, if I remember correctly, it's been a while.
I can't remember it being hinted that protagonist was a driver even once, so I'm not sure what are you talking about.
Protagonist wasn't in coma... His wife was, not sure about coma, but glimpses of hospital are about her, I was sure of it while playing.

edited: one thing I don't understand about Dear Esther impressions, why so many people are convinced it is cryptic or can be understood in many ways. Except of history of the Island and symbolism of it, the story is straightforward and simple, even if told in complex way, the main story, I mean. I didn't see anything left to interpretation there,
only the ending itself

Well,
from what I've seen the dialogue is randomized at least to some degree. Sutff like "The pain in my leg sent me blind for a few minutes as I struggled up the cliff path: I swallowed another handful of painkillers and now I feel almost lucid. The island around me has retreated to a hazed distance, whilst the moon appears to have descended into my palm to guide me. " and several references to painkillers made me think he was the one that was in the coma, while I thought his wife/love, was killed instantly. And since some of the characters in the story were in fact one person, only referred to differently I had moments of doubt whether it wasn't the protagonist who was the drunk and while in the coma tried to escape his guilt. I don't know.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
One more for the night/morning. Another I've been meaning to write my thoughts about.

header_292x136.jpg

Slender: The Arrival is the follow-up to the popular freeware horror game, Slender: Eight Pages, being made by the people responsible for making Slender so popular (Mark J. Hadley, creator of Slender: Eight Pages, and the Marble Hornets team who made a series of Slender-themed YouTube videos). It's not just another Slender clone though, it goes for a more cinematic approach to gaming, and not as in fixed cutscenes or QTEs, but in providing an interactive cinematic horror experience.

The stories pretty simple. You are going to check in on a friend who lives deep in the forest who hasn't been responding to calls, texts, or emails for the last few days. Turns out, there's evil that lurks in these woods... Now can you escape?

Slender: The Arrival is probably the closest you'll get to playing a found-footage horror film in game form, at least yet. The way everything is told through the gameplay's lens, the 'folk-story' tone the game goes with the legend, the execution of how Slender and the events that transpire work, feels very much in-line with a found-footage horror film, except you are the driver and the one tasked with capturing it all and surviving.

In that regard, Slender: The Arrival is a very cool experience. It has some good build-up, atmosphere, and escalates the situation while still retaining a more down-to-earth feeling. All through gameplay, you experience a series of events and have to respond to them.

ss_94f96abdbf199f9711ac854e6e6a19ee792e1b08.600x338.jpg

The basic Slender gameplay is still there... Collect different items and avoid the big tall man in the suit, but there's more to it here, and this is often where the split in opinion on this game begins.

The game is rather short, and honestly you probably spend more time just exploring places in-between the game's 'main' stages than you do actually playing the core Slender gameplay.This mainly involves going around locations, like a forest trail or a house, and opening doors to get to the next story location.

Slender: The Arrival is split into seven 'stages', five of them in the story, one as a secret hidden level, and one as a bonus stage. Beating the story should take 2-4 hours the first time (the five main stages), and consist of two stages with you actually collecting items, two scenarios with you avoiding Slender via other means 'cinematically', and most of these stages as well as one stage entirely having 'build-up' situations where nothing actually happens, but it builds-up to the next main gameplay scenario.

The length and the cinematic direction the game takes will turn some people off, but on my part it actually made me enjoy the game more. It legitimately feels like a playable found-footage horror film, and has charm and atmosphere in its design and oppressive stages. I found myself enjoying it during its short course.

I even got scared a few times, something the original Eight Pages and many Slender clones don't do to me. Scariness is subjective, but a feat I must mention as I don't actually find the character of Slender to be scary in general.

This said, I found myself more terrified by Slender's 'unidentified' midget mask girl in a cloak than Slender himself. She's a stalker who appears in a specific stage in the game, and her sounds, appearance, animations, and the environment you encounter her in legitimately made me afraid of her for a time.

ss_bb15ac4d5429d48d5ed26d34dc47ebfb27b571d5.600x338.jpg

However, for all of this 'cinematic charm' I'm spouting about, the game maybe alienated its main audience in some ways, as part of the charm of the original Slender game was with its minimalistic atmospheric gameplay and dreary feeling without need for story, explanation, and just throws you right in. This is a very different experience and very different game, and these changes completely alters the audience the game is designed for... And unfortunately, with a character who's been popularized like Slender, it can mean the game's audience is potentially very small, as some have come to ridicule or dislike his popularity and character, and those that like him may not like the way the game is designed differently and more aimed as a playable cinematic horror game.

I feel fond of it though, and it happens to be my favorite Slender-based game for the very reason of how its different. I find it to be enjoyable to play, and to experience, and craft an interesting world and scenario that was enjoyable to go through.

This all said, the best parts of the game maybe came out of the optional content. The 'bonus stage I mentioned is simply a recreation of the original Eight Pages game you can play outside of the main story, but a lot prettier. The game has difficulty levels and randomized features through all of its stages which is interesting. There are a variety of secrets and Easter eggs in the game, including a hidden ending.

And for me, the absolute best part of the game was the secret level. I don't want to spoil it here, but at least for me, it was definitely the creepiest part of the whole game, but a shame most probably wouldn't find it without looking it up... It's pretty well hidden.

ss_b1c6109d69e638d80739f156614e9db2cd4be70f.600x338.jpg

Slender The Arrival isn't for everybody and ditches the minimalist direction for something more akin to a game version of a found-footage horror film, but during its short duration it delivers an interesting different take on both Slender and cinematic horror games. I'd say worth a trip for those who think the idea of playing a found-footage horror film sounds appealing.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I have like 15$ worth of TF2 promo items that I refuse to sell after accidentally selling my Genuine TF2 AWP :(
I sold a Max's Severed Head for $100 after having it sit in my inventory for however many years. I never really play TF2 anymore so I don't really mind having a hat or not. That was a pretty good day.

Dusk Golem

saunderez

Looksl ike a really bad gingerbread man
I thought it was hilarious until I played the game. There is a blink button. If you have to blink when 173 is anywhere in the vicinity you're dead. You have to maintain eye contact at all times.

Most of the best SCP entries work better with imagination than they would rendered.

IMO.
That's true but I think 173 works because of how stupid it looks in the SCP entry for it.

Yrael

I'm playing Electronic Super Joy: Groove City...and there's a sexual moan every time I pass a checkpoint.

Why is this game orgasming at me? ._.

Chariot

I thought it was hilarious until I played the game. There is a blink button. If you have to blink when 173 is anywhere in the vicinity you're dead. You have to maintain eye contact at all times.
What do you usually do with the blink button, is that just a gimmick or do you need to blink?

Dusk Golem

Most of the best SCP entries work better with imagination than they would rendered.

IMO.

No, I don't disagree, and the chances of such a thing being executed well are unfortunately slim, but I think the idea of a horror game being set in a lab with various creative entities, objects, locations, and the like could be very interesting if handled correctly. SCP: Containment Breach is a take on this idea, but in some ways it lacks the budget to work with the ambition.

Dusk Golem

For those who don't know what we're talking about, SCP is a user-based website designed to be a collection of scientific documents on unnatural things in the world, which are collected into a secret lab to study and contain.

The ideas and entries range from being very interesting, creepy, or unique, to very silly, stupid, or dumb.

SCP games became popular in 2012 starting with a game based on walking down stairs, known as SCP-087, which you can download here: http://www.otlgaming.com/post/18030758143/scp-087-aka-the-creepy-staircase-game-update

tumblr_lzrkh35v5p1rn4obco1_500.png

This game caught attention, and more people began making short little horror games based on the various SCP creations. However, the biggest and most well known is an on-going indie effort known as SCP: Containment Breach, which is the game with the blink meter saunderez is talking about, which you can play here: http://www.scpcbgame.com/

SCP: CB features various SCP's getting free, and you going through a randomly generated lab to try and escape the released horrors.

saunderez

Plowed my way through to the end of Wolf Among Us episode 3. Stayed up way too late in the process. See you all tomorrow, dudes. Expect impressions once I finish the last 2 episodes.
Do not click on this link. It is a Class 10 Memetic Hazard which will cause hours of your life to disappear.
It's TV Tropes if TV Tropes made you afraid to turn the lights out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom