• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
803102699709062212.gif

pretty. The game is Ashen, an upcoming action rpg

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Rhaknar successfully got me in the mood to want to do a horror game write-up, I've decided to finally put down my complicated opinions and impressions of Alone in the Dark (2008).

header_292x136.jpg

Alone in the Dark is a 2008 action survival-horror game, and fifth game in the Alone in the Dark series. It is also one of the most profound and fascinating examples I have ever played of something akin to a glorious train-wreck.

There's a story here, I'm sure of it. There are definitely cutscenes with unforgettable hammy acting and dialogue, with such excellent writing and voicing execution like "I don't have your stone, and FUCK you anyway," or, "I'm the FUCK-ING UNIVERSE!!" However, I couldn't rightfully tell you it without looking up a synopsis. I guess New York is in trouble, so there's that.

Alone in the Dark is daring, different, and truly there is no other game quite like it. In this game, you'll find yourself doing everything from racing a car through Central Park as giant bats tear your car apart as you drive it, only to form themselves into a literal giant bat tornado.You will learn the importance of tape with a surprisingly complex crafting system that existed long before Minecraft. You'll drive a forklift through a cave and pick up rocks and bridges. You'll literally be shat out by a giant worm.

If anything, I can say it was ahead of its time. For a 2008 game, it tried things that would later on become parts of much more successful and bigger games, and gaming elements that have become popularized. Climbing segments with things crumbling apart ala' Uncharted before Uncharted. The after-mentioned crafting item system the game features. First-person 'experience' walking simulator sections. This game was ahead of the curveball on what would be hip several years from the time it released.

It just pulled off most of them pretty poorly.

ss_563c5ffe8b1904af2f000cc02ad6b4df2e90a396.600x338.jpg

Honestly, the task of things you'll be doing before this game is up is ridiculous. The developers clearly had huge ambitions, but didn't have the time or budget to polish off its ideas. So what you have is a game that controls a bit weirdly, suffers from some hilarious glitches, and somehow tries to wrap up every ridiculous thing that happens into some sort of logical story. Sometimes the game wants to be an atmospheric horror game, other times it wants to be an action game, others a surrealistic platformer, or why not take a moment to take part in a firefighter simulator?

The game even went ahead of itself and made it into an episodic gameplay experience. Split into episodes, the game will literally let you play almost any episode or part of an episode from the very beginning of the game. At any time you are free to skip ahead (or go backwards) in the games storyline... With one exception. You have to complete all the episodes (and partake in one quest involving burning roots in an open-world hub world of Central Park) to play the last episode. I can only think the reason they did this is because they realized a few parts of their game were needlessly difficult, usually because of controls.

This game also has a Soundtrack that it honestly does not deserve, but adds so much to the experience. You'll be listening to over-the-top child orchestras and epic tunes as you drive in a collapsing New York in a taxi that controls like butter. And most of the soundtrack keeps this epic, mysterious tone full of orchestra songs and some just excellent pieces of music that make it feel like the game is telling some deep epic, when most of the time you'll probably have no idea what's going on. The music just adds to the glorious train wreck that this game is.

If you're like me, you'll be playing this and telling yourself that this is a terrible game, and just exclaim out at some new element that baffles on why they decided to go with THIS direction on something, but all the same you'll find yourself both curious, and even excited on what may be around the next bend.

The game isn't all bad, it has interesting ideas, sections, and I would even say the game has some good fun to be had, but it is plagued with problems, and just goes so hilariously and over the top off the rails its almost awe-inspiring. Its problems are somewhat front-loaded, so if you can bear through some sort of dull beginning sections, the game has several loaded guns of things to experience ahead for you, and if you can get past the beginning, you are almost certain to enjoy the crazy ride this game provides.

ss_3bf361027bba91fe041acc92fa9f1709a14e6c46.600x338.jpg

If someone ever asked me to point them in the direction of the purest B-horror game ever, I would point them to this game. It is the hammiest, corniest, most over-the-top horror game I've ever played. It is ridiculous from start to finish, and it is for this reason I'd recommend this.

Know though the PC version suffers from some problems, mainly some people have trouble running it. Solutions to get around, but still. And the 'best version' of the game is actually on PS3, as it contains an additional chapter and fixes several problems and inputted some better controls.

Still, if you want a B-Horror game, look no further than Alone in the Dark.

-MD-

I rented Alone in the Dark when it came out but as soon as I saw that you could fast forward through the game I was done, returned it after like an hour.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I was salty when Alone in the Dark didnt get 75% in the summer sale, like what the fuck publishers, nobody is buying these old games otherwise

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For the love of god, get Crimzon Clover.
It's a completely different type of game than Ikaruga is.
Treasure game is more of a puzzle one, with environmental hazards more akin to euroshmups, I'd say.
Crimzon Clover is pretty much a Cave game (Ketsui comes to mind) on speed.
It's the single best non-emulated shmup game available on PC.
How about this... since it was made by one guy over 7 years and thus worthy of full price... I'll farm some cards. EnchancedSteam seems to think I have like 32 gabens coming to me. WE'LL SEE.

Ventara

Pretty good review. Sounds like it'd be a fun ride despite its flaws. If I ever see for cheap and feel like I'm in the mood for a corny horror game, I'll be sure to give this a shot. Thanks for the impressions.

One thing though; Uncharted came out in 2007, before this game.

Dusk Golem

Pretty good review. Sounds like it'd be a fun ride despite its flaws. If I ever see for cheap and feel like I'm in the mood for a corny horror game, I'll be sure to give this a shot. Thanks for the impressions.

One thing though; Uncharted came out in 2007, before this game.

It is an experience.

Yes and no to Uncharted, the game was first announced in 2003, and the climbing section was first shown in 2005 or 2006 I believe. It was in development hell for a while, which might explain some things.

Yakkue

Does anyone know if you can import your existing savefiles of the games you already played into "Deponia: The Complete Journey"? Not sure if I want to buy it if that's not possible..

Ventara

It is an experience.

Yes and no to Uncharted, the game was first announced in 2003, and the climbing section was first shown in 2005 or 2006 I believe. It was in development hell for a while, which might explain some things.

I don't follow. Are you saying Alone in the Dark showed off climbing sections in 2005 before Uncharted released? Eh, the climbing was pretty core to Uncharteds gameplay, and I don't think they could've added it in in the 2 years.

Dusk Golem

I don't follow. Are you saying Alone in the Dark showed off climbing sections in 2005 before Uncharted released? Eh, the climbing was pretty core to Uncharteds gameplay, and I don't think they could've added it in in the 2 years.

Uncharted did not copy Alone in the Dark, but I'm saying that Alone in the Dark didn't copy Uncharted, it was a bit ahead of its time, but doesn't deserve to be remembered for it as... Well, if you decide to play it, you shall see.

Rhaknar

i dont like that old guy gif, that one is legit sad :/

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Rhaknar successfully got me in the mood to want to do a horror game write-up, I've decided to finally put down my complicated opinions and impressions of Alone in the Dark (2008).
Very well done write up and totally agree with the assertion of the team not being cohesive and trying to do so many things. But I do guess it's part of its time.

I still need to finish it. Probably soon thanks to this.

Arthea

Alone in the Dark (2008).

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your review. It was funny most of the time and so true at the same time.

Also noticed that you repeated the same section about soundtrack in your steam review two times, you might wanna edit it. Other than that, great review.
also no rant about weird lack of simplest multitasking? That's strange...

edited: I suddenly feel like I'm in WC thread or something

Dusk Golem

There is a mod for Resident Evil 6 to play No Mercy with up to 8 people, and a few fun mods to play Mercenaries stages with only boss monsters.

If you don't mind digging, you can even play the campaign with up to 8 people, but it has a few issues and requires more work to get working.

Anteater

Uh.... no? Not personally, anyway.

ahh ok, thought I'd ask incase I missed any

There is a mod for Resident Evil 6 to play No Mercy with up to 8 people, and a few fun mods to play Mercenaries stages with only boss monsters.

If you don't mind digging, you can even play the campaign with up to 8 people, but it has a few issues and requires more work to get working.

Thanks I'll give it a look!

CassSept

Boy this thread movest fast
Kappa

Honestly though, I played through Dear Esther yesterday. I... don't know what to think, it certainly was... something. The locales were beautiful though, the vistas were quite stunning. I think that might have just been the best looking game I've ever played, or at least very close to that, I was surprised at how beautiful the whole thing was.

A question though, about the plot. I know, open to interpretation yadda yadda but I wonder how two plot point were received.
So, was the protagonist the one who was drunk driving? I know she, presumably Esther, or protagonist's wife/love, was killed in an accident caused by a drunk driver, but some of the dialogue led me to believe the protagonist himself was the one who was drunk driving. I know dialogue is randomized, but there were some lines that in my opinon could point toward that interpretation.

Secondly, so the protagonist was in the coma? Again, there were lines that seemed to imply he was in the hospital, hooked to machines, being pumped full of anesthetics and the end was him giving up and passing away.

At least that's how I saw it, if anyone wants to chime in then please do so.

AngerdX

Wow, great way to turn a shitty morning after work into a great one, come home, cruise in here to read up on the latest gossip, and wham you won shadow of mordor from nbnt, thanks man and thank you all for making some shitty days a bit brighter.

Dusk Golem

ahh ok, thought I'd ask incase I missed any

Thanks I'll give it a look!

All you'll need for it is fellow GAF'ers Sectus' modding tool for RE6, the Fluffy Manager. It's a tool he's worked on which is incredibly helpful for modding Resident Evil 6, 5, 4, and Revelations. With 6, with a few options checked on and friends joining via IP on the trainer, you can do mercs easily (and the campaign with a bit more work).

The one thing is, and keep this in mind, to make 8-player Mercs not be used for cheating, he's also made it so that your score will be zero when playing using the mod. But still a lot of fun.

The tool can also be made to easily play as whatever character you want in whatever in RE6, and change the game speed (make it so that the game is in slow-motion or super fast).

Arthea

Boy this thread movest fast
Kappa

Honestly though, I played through Dear Esther yesterday. I... don't know what to think, it certainly was... something. The locales were beautiful though, the vistas were quite stunning. I think that might have just been the best looking game I've ever played, or at least very close to that, I was surprised at how beautiful the whole thing was.

A question though, about the plot. I know, open to interpretation yadda yadda but I wonder how two plot point were received.
So, was the protagonist the one who was drunk driving? I know she, presumably Esther, or protagonist's wife/love, was killed in an accident caused by a drunk driver, but some of the dialogue led me to believe the protagonist himself was the one who was drunk driving. I know dialogue is randomized, but there were some lines that in my opinon could point toward that interpretation.

Secondly, so the protagonist was in the coma? Again, there were lines that seemed to imply he was in the hospital, hooked to machines, being pumped full of anesthetics and the end was him giving up and passing away.

At least that's how I saw it, if anyone wants to chime in then please do so.

of course not,
you might missed part of the story (if it's possible, I'm not sure of it), but he met with the driver and a had a drink with him. The driver was on drugs, suffering from syphilis, if I remember correctly, it's been a while.
I can't remember it being hinted that protagonist was a driver even once, so I'm not sure what are you talking about.
Protagonist wasn't in coma... His wife was, not sure about coma, but glimpses of hospital are about her, I was sure of it while playing.

edited: one thing I don't understand about Dear Esther impressions, why so many people are convinced it is cryptic or can be understood in many ways. Except of history of the Island and symbolism of it, the story is straightforward and simple, even if told in complex way, the main story, I mean. I didn't see anything left to interpretation there,
only the ending itself

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Haha. Waiting for someone to start a new thread titled 'Half-Life 3 Kickstarter'.

He should have made it an Indie Gogo campaign to make a joke of the fact that backers are charged instantly as opposed to when the funding period ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom