• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Alpha Zylon is zkylon's game?
ya I know, not funny

about that Century Edition of Saints Row IV. Yet again it's not clear are all dlcs included in this game, and after last few times, I wouldn't be sure all are.

They're all there. Even the not-so-limited-after-all Child's Play Pack.

JaseC

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't even realize Shantae was finally being released on Steam. I remember it took forever to get through Greenlight, and then there was the question of whether the developer was still interested or whatever.

I grabbed it tonight and played for an hour or so, to the end of the first boss section where you get the
monkey transform
power.

The sprite art is cute and the game seems neat. I was surprised at how many cutscenes and conversations there were at the start though. I wanted to start playing! The game itself seems to be pretty easy, but I'm bad at megaman-style games so that's good for me. Sometimes I find myself wishing enemies would drop hearts since I'm about to die, and other times I find more jars of rupees and hearts than I need.

So Skynations is basically minecraft on steam?
Entered JaseCs and Rhaknars ga but no response from modbot.
Welp, would have been nice to win and get a steam key later on when it passes greenlight.
Crafting games like that are nice.

Arthea

Magic 2015 is releasing today?
totally too many games and too little time.

I decided to leave Strider for winter sales and possibly deeper discount.

Also nuuvem has both Darksider games on sale with good discounts. I'm not sure about dlcs or even if they sell them at all, or do franchise packs.

edited: about sky nations, how exactly I get the key?

JaseC

Not sure it's worth taking the risk anymore though. It may or may not still work.

If it were actually region-locked, the RU store page would reflect as much. The "Purchases made in ..." notice is added automatically upon ACRTAG being applied to a game's sub but here it's still absent. Presumably this will be fixed soon enough, however if you hurry then you'll be okay.

Arthea

Jasec help! why there is no bloody explanation anywhere where to register what and what site an unlock key is for? That's hilarious.
talking about Sky Nations

I think this is like something you can play while doing something else at the same time, like watching something.

you are not serious, I hope (><)

Looking for moderators/facilitators for NeoGAF's Games Night group.

To apply, do not reply in this thread. Reply to the thread in the link above.

EDIT: If I could get some EuroGAF facilitators that would be awesome. Right now our game night is mostly limited to NA players.

I am currently looking for moderators/facilitators for Neogaf's Games Night! As of this post, I am currently the only facilitator meaning I can only host one game per weekend. Hopefully with more moderators we can set up more games to play on the weekend.

What is expected:
You will set the time for other Gaffers to join your game. You will be in charge of setting up the game you decide to play and handle the logistics of allowing other Gaf members to join your game.

How to set up a playtime:
As a facilitator you will be given the power to create events for this steam group that are then broadcasted to everyone in the group. These events are used to indicate the time and game that will be played. If you wish to advertise on the NeoGaf steam thread I can help you with your post. (including creating banners and creating the countdown timer)

Gameplay enviornment:
This group is designed to maintain a casual, fun enviornment. No elitism, trash talking or hateful comments. If a player is causing trouble, message me and we will work something out.

----

How to apply:
Please create a post in this thread with this format:

NeoGAF ID: phoenix296
Times available: 3:30-5:30PM PDT (Remember to include your timezone)
Days available: Fri, Sat, Sun
Games to Host:
Counter-Strike:Global Offensive
Left 4 Dead 2
etc...

Template
NeoGAF ID:
Times available:
Days available:
Games to Host:

Chariot

you are not serious, I hope (><)
Why shouldn't I?
I am doing this all the time with games that don't require me to be on them all the time. I am one of this new generation of kids who can't concentrate on one thing. Something has really be intense to keep my whole attention (or force me to it).

Jadax

I'm thinking of getting Magic 2015 base game, though I've never played this series before - will I find it tough to grasp? Also, is it necessary to have friends to play with?

I played hearthstone a bit but quit once it became clear it was just PaytoWin - will I encounter the same issue in this game?

If I should get this game, should it be the base game or the complete edition?

aku:jiki

I poked around and found a card list for Magic. It is as I suspected; some good stuff, sure, but nothing mindblowing and you cannot build very advanced decks. One thing that I did find surprising is that they're not bringing over the mechanics from each plane. That seems like a poorly planned idea; it's really selling those sets short and giving new players the wrong idea about the depth of the game.

I think this is like something you can play while doing something else at the same time, like watching something.
If you're experienced enough to know what card was played to make what happen, yes. If not, probably not a great idea.

I'm thinking of getting Magic 2015 base game, though I've never played this series before - will I find it tough to grasp? Also, is it necessary to have friends to play with?

I played hearthstone a bit but quit once it became clear it was just PaytoWin - will I encounter the same issue in this game?

Yes, easy to grasp. No, not pay to win. No to the complete edition.

It may seem pay to win when you're new and someone actually manages to make Griselbrand work, but it really isn't.

Jadax

Yes, easy to grasp. No, not pay to win. No to the complete edition.

It may seem pay to win when you're new and someone actually manages to make Griselbrand work, but it really isn't.

Thanks. What about premium cards - I was checking out the forums you linked and apparently each colour has them. Do we have to buy them, or are we able to get them through story-mode (I assume there's a story mode).

JaseC

Ok, registered.
is it normal not to get confirmation after registering?

Yeah, looks like I didn't get one, either. Also, there also doesn't appear to be an automated password reset system as I had to e-mail a request (I forgot to paste my LastPass-generated password somewhere before copying the key, haha).

Edit: Oh wow, Valve's greatly reduced the amount of time it takes you to add something to your account from your inventory. The "You are about to add this item to your game library" confirmation window appears almost instantly now as opposed to taking a good five seconds or more.

Thanks. What about premium cards - I was checking out the forums you linked and apparently each colour has them. Do we have to buy them, or are we able to get them through story-mode (I assume there's a story mode).
They're marked premium because you cannot unlock them without buying premium boosters.

The other cards in this list are apparently obtainable by winning booster packs in the campaign. There is apparently also a limit so you don't end up with a pile of the same card, so if you've gotten a certain card in X amount of boosters it will never show up in one again. (Guess it should also be noted that boosters themselves cannot have duplicates, or at least shouldn't, so you won't get a pack of 14x the same card.)

Arthea

it's not pay to win. Complete is not worth it, in my opinion, unlocking yourself is big part of fun.

Its better to play with a friend, yes.

You never played Magic the Gathering? At all? Even if you didn't, it's not hard to learn, but it will some take time, use singleplay for that.

Chariot

If you're experienced enough to know what card was played to make what happen, yes. If not, probably not a great idea.
I don't look away, at least not for a long time. It's like watching something with subtitles. You have to read the subtitles and at the same time watch what actually happens.
it's not pay to win. Complete is not worth it, in my opinion, unlocking yourself is big part of fun.
Crap, so I would've been better off with buying the base game. I thought complete had more cards.

I don't look away, at least not for a long time. It's like watching something with subtitles. You have to read the subtitles and at the same time watch what actually happens.Crap, so I would've been better off with buying the base game. I thought complete had more cards.
So you thought you were pulling some pay to win shenanigans? Son, I am translator's note.

dot

Urm... Hearthstone isn't pay 2 win. Lol. I play it a lot and I've beat tons of people that buy packs.
I didn't even realize Shantae was finally being released on Steam. I remember it took forever to get through Greenlight, and then there was the question of whether the developer was still interested or whatever.

I grabbed it tonight and played for an hour or so, to the end of the first boss section where you get the
monkey transform
power.

The sprite art is cute and the game seems neat. I was surprised at how many cutscenes and conversations there were at the start though. I wanted to start playing! The game itself seems to be pretty easy, but I'm bad at megaman-style games so that's good for me. Sometimes I find myself wishing enemies would drop hearts since I'm about to die, and other times I find more jars of rupees and hearts than I need.
The game looks good! Is it really like megaman though? I haven't looked into it that much yet.

Chariot

So you thought you were pulling some pay to win shenanigans? Son, I am translator's note.
Isn't this more pay to win than what I thought it was? Magic is relatively balanced. You can win against a new edition, even with an older edition cards, since there is still the thing about deckbuilding, effect conditions and manacosts.

Shadownet

Banned
You can apply tentatively if you want. Just make a note of it at the end of your application.

The day that I get accepted is the day that...

tumblr_inline_n6w3n9tGSO1r2uuc0.jpg

Dr Dogg

Well on the catch up over the night I see morningbus is going to end up with free cable for the next decade at this rate and that people are just realising that their first Elder Scrolls is the one they judge the series on. Morrowind was my first and although it has the worst combat system I liked the levelling mechanics some what but the world and how it's presented has not been toped for me yet. That and the amount of lore and world building in the books you find alone is staggering. Oblivious, while it may have improved on the combat aspects, totally fucked up levelling and the world, outside of going through the Oblivion Gates, felt rather dull and repetitive. Skyrim doesn't improve on the combat much at all (still no feedback from hitting enemies 99% of the time and it's still one button melee spam) and has a rather cookie-cutter perk levelling system which ditched the really intriguing zodiac system and class building. It's more than ever a 'You are what you play' style game now.

Almost got to 4 stars in Cook, Serve, Delicious. Just got too exhausted near the end and needed to take a break until tomorrow. Concentration was faltering and I was making easy mistakes.

If I'm half asleep when rush hour comes around I can kiss my combo goodbye. Pandemonium set in and I always end up picking the chores to do instead of serving customers. Need to get my upgrades in order.

Playing a game like Shovel Knight really drives home just how shitty the 360 controller d-pad is.

Yeah I used the analog after falling into a couple of pits thanks to the wonky dpad. Which at first was a pain for me as up on my left stick needs a lot more travel than is possible to register, even after recalibrating it, so at first Relic Attacks weren't registering. Thankfully you can remap it to a button otherwise on something like Propeller Knight's stage I'd have quit as I was pulling out multiple Relic combo use saves just to get me through.

I honestly think that Abyss Odyssey is excellent, and I had absolutely no idea going in I would have thought that. The elements all seem like games I don't particularly like (I don't like combo brawlers, I don't really like Smash Bros, I wasn't a huge fan of Zeno Clash, I haven't played the Souls games), but this was so cool. I really only watched a few GIFs and though the art style looked cool, but not that I've spent some time with the game, it's an awesome game. I've played about two hours and I'm ready to share some thoughts...

I think the fact the game doesn't explain its systems to you is both encouraging some players and off putting to others. There's a fair few mechanics you wouldn't know exist (and could beat the game a few times and still not know about them) which makes the game look shallow on the surface. For example the skull guy with the guitar you run into occasionally and can pay 100 gold, gives you a random bonus. So far I've only noticed refilling of health or mana or give a slight xp boost but others it appears nothing has happened. The yellow room as well
where there's treasure everywhere and you throw money in the fountain (and I threw a lot in there expecting something big to kick off)
I still don't know what does but the soldier next to it seems to be giving a hint if you chat to him.

The checkpoint system I think is great but I only knew how it worked from trial and error (and there was a fair amount of error to realise how to get the best out of it). The game gives you a heads up how to use the checkpoints saying you need a specific item to use it. So when you eventually work out you can either get them from the fatally wounded soldiers or the shop keeper (who doesn't always have them in his inventory) you think you're golden until you find it's a single use item. The other slant to them is that
they only allow a certain amount of restarts at that checkpoint, signified by the Roman numeral in perenthsis. Use up all the respawns at that checkpoint and you will go to the one set before it (if you had a prior checkpoint set of course), if there isn't one then it's back to the start.
Seeing as the shopkeeper doesn't always have them there's a bit of risk/reward juggling going on where to set your checkpoints. I find it's a nice touch and adds a bit of strategy as to managing where you want to restart.

Then there's the whole sudo-PokeMon monster/opponent capture I haven't even got started with yet. I only know it's part of the game because it was in one of the prerelease videos.

Combat didn't feel like I was expecting it to and I was pretty much replying on certain go-to combos and specials. Though I was gaining levels quite quickly and also finding higher level weapons which made short work of most foes apart from on the lower couple of levels when their difficulty was set to hard. Dodging does seem to be either key to success or massively over powered. End Boss Spoilers
I died shameful deaths the first 2 times I got to the Warlock (which each time you meet him he reveals a little more about Kat and himself in their pre encounter dialog) but that was because I was using the mechanics the way the game intended. On my third and easily the most successful try I boxed him into one of the corners and just dodged through him taking a single swipe ever time and didn't get hit bar the wave of fish attack. Took 3 tries (4 in all as I died without a checkpoint and had to effectively start again) and about 2 and half hours to do.
Be interesting to see how the leveling up the Warlock through the community beating him pans out though.

I think it's a good game but is geared more to being played over and over again to get the most out of it (as Easy_D said in the OT you don't even see the credits after killing the 'Final' Boss). I get the feeling I've only scratched the surface of the content here. Had a quick play around with the Ghost Monk and I much prefer his move set and there's another character to unlock as well!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I got Abyss Odyssey on the PS3 (thanks to having no confidence in how well it may run on my integrated-graphics-totally-not-built-for-gaming PC), but I'm gonna cross-post my post from the OT in here anyway:

Yeah, I think if I have any complaint right now, it's that the game is too easy. On my run where I beat the Warlock, I came across a sword with 33 ATK that absolutely devastated most things I fought. And between having Kat, four health potions, a summon, and the soldier, it didn't really feel like I was in much danger of dying at all. Hell, I feel a bit silly now for
using an expensive 3-respawn camp token a couple floors before the Warlock
, since it was completely unnecessary and I could have put that money towards
unlocking Pincoya
. Of course, who knows how much more difficult the game might get once the community aspect kicks in and the Warlock changes form and new enemies are introduced.

I'm also not sure I like the leveling system, or at least, I'm not sure I see the point of it. With the max level being 70, and plenty of people already having beaten the Warlock at Lv. 10-15ish, I'm kinda left wondering what the point of leveling that high is right now. Unless the game gets drastically harder once the community aspect kicks in. But then that raises the question of what the game's going to be like for new players six months to a year from now. It all seems a bit confusing at the moment.

There's also another reason I'm not a fan of the leveling system, and that's replayability. I feel like the best rogue-lite/roguelike games don't have any sort of stats/progression that carries over between playthroughs at all, with the exception of something like Binding of Isaac's unlockable characters. Because with leveling that carries over between playthroughs, eventually you're going to hit a point where you're maxed out, and the game likely isn't even challenging anymore. Unless, again, the end-game of the whole community thing is that the game is balanced around Lv. 70 characters. But yeah, look at things like Spelunky or Isaac or Risk of Rain or FTL. The only things in those that carry over are unlockables, and because of that they're endlessly replayable.

I guess it just remains to be seen how much the community aspect is going to affect the overall difficulty/replayability of the game in the long-run. I'd absolutely love it if it ended up like Isaac or RoR or FTL, where every run through the dungeon is just as fun as the last one. But the game's going to have to get a lot more challenging by the time it's all said and done for that to be the case, I think.

I also worry about how well the console versions are going to be supported compared to the PC version, but eh, that's a matter for a different thread.

Caerith

The yellow room as well
where there's treasure everywhere and you throw money in the fountain (and I threw a lot in there expecting something big to kick off)
I still don't know what does but the soldier next to it seems to be giving a hint if you chat to him.
Non-spoiler, but
I was satisfied after throwing in somewhere between 17-27k

JaseC

Saints Row 3 just received a 25% price drop across the board ($20 -> $15). Also, the base price of the Season Pass has been reduced to $5 all the way from $20, which may be a mistake.

wilflare

My PC got hit my Murphy Law.
the new replacement for my Dell U2412M came today... so I took the chance to clean the dust out of my PC.

now the entire PC doesn't boot up. thought the PSU is dead. brought it to the service center who said it's fine but gave me a new unit anyway..

now going to exchange my GPU hoping there won't be artefact issues anymore.

i seriously hope my Mobo isn't dead or fried

I know the ModBot says that thanks should be PM's but I gotta say here that morning started with a bang when I saw that I had won Abyss Odyssey from Sub Zero!

Arthea

I still don't know why you all jumped on that Abyss Odyssey hype train, when you should have been on Trains in the sky, it's much more fun.

oh, I understand that spending 10 years on the train can be tiring, but we had a short stop few years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom