• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
To be fair, I'm only on the train because it wasn't clear that the OST would be released separately. ;)

I still don't know why you all jumped on that Abyss Odyssey hype train, when you should have been on Trains in the sky, it's much more fun.

oh, I understand that spending 10 years on the train can be tiring, but we had a short stop a few years ago!
I haven't even played TitS before but I want the PC release so bad because Falcom.

Milamber

I still don't know why you all jumped on that Abyss Odyssey hype train, when you should have been on Trains in the sky, it's much more fun.

oh, I understand that spending 10 years on the train can be tiring, but we had a short stop a few years ago!

I want to get off but it's too late now. I just want more info that it is really, really, really coming this 2014.

Arthea

To be fair, I'm only on the train because it wasn't clear that the OST would be released separately. ;)

if that's the case, you are forgiven!

I want to get off but it's too late now. I just want more info that it is really, really, really coming this 2014.

FC is definitely coming and soon, we were promised release date this week, but so far we haven't got it. SC is not coming this year, most likely, but it still can come in early 2015, if everything goes well.

edited: I'm amazed why nobody asks about Doggie being a driver

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Well, at least being on the trains in the sky makes up for more... disappointing things.

Should i play Killer is Dead or Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon next?
Someone help me out.

Killer is Dead because Grasshopper.

Tellaerin

Just finished TimeShift. It was a great ride, and just about the ideal length, too - long enough to feel substantial, but not so long that it dragged. The plot was serviceable for an FPS, and the gameplay was solid. Regenerating health bar, hero can carry a limited # of weapons (3, plus grenades), no armor/shield bar or pickups (but that's what time manipulation's for). Movement felt tight, there was a decent variety of weapons (some of them pretty creative, like the combo incendiary bullet SMG/flamethrower), and levels were laid out well, with a fair amount of z-axis shooting. Enemy AI's pretty decent (they'll try to flank, get on turrets, etc.). It was surprisingly nice looking for a seven-year-old game, too. The retro-tech dieselpunk aesthetic was pretty neat, and I found myself wishing I could explore more of that alternate timeline.

As the title suggests, the game's big hook is the ability to slow, stop or reverse the flow of time. These abilities are a big part of combat and are also required to solve the occasional puzzle. Slowing time creates the classic "bullet time" effect, stopping time temporarily freezes your enemies (and anything else that happens to be moving, like platforms, rotating fan blades and the like), while "rewinding" time is used mainly to solve some of the puzzles the game throws at you. The time manipulation stuff is integrated nicely with the rest of the game - the situations where you have to use your time abilities to progress come off feeling natural in context, rather than, "Hey, look! We're setting up a situation for you to use your TIME POWERS!"

So yeah, enough of my stream-of-consciousness rambling. I waited a long time to play TimeShift, I've finally finished it, and it was fun. I recommend it to anyone who thinks they'd enjoy a short but sweet singleplayer FPS where you can stop time, headshot three enemy soldiers with explosive crossbow bolts, then hit "play" and walk off whistling while they all simultaneously explode.

Now I have to decide what to play next.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ken is always greater than Ryu... :p
But if you want a shoto, there are tons of them.
I would try the first 5-10 trials of a character you're interested in... if it's not clicking, try the next.

Things you can learn that will translate to a large majority of characters and are "basics" that are not character specific:
(1) Learn how to use focus attacks... make sure you understand the properties of them because they play an important part in intermediate to advanced play.
(2) Learn the special input motions as these translate between similar characters (and even beyond); rolling motions are probably the most frequently occurring but learning to do the correct inputs for a charge character can be very useful too.
(3) Learn to dash. I still have problems with this as I was mainly a SSF2T player and didn't have a lot of experience with SF3 before SF4 released, so the concept of dashing is foreign to me.
(4) Learn to cancel normals into specials. If you're having trouble, consider the actual inputs necessary... for Ryu (and some of the other shotos, I think) crouching MK is a good poke and it cancels into hadoken. So use this as the start of your hadoken motion and if you see the foot connect, finish rolling to forward on your stick and hit your punch button.
(5) Other basics to worry about before you get into links/FADC/FADC>Ultra/combos/etc.: Spacing, poking, and anti-airs.

Before you put in a ton of time with a character, make sure they're the character you want to use. The more familiar you are with the moveset (normals, specials) the more skilled you will be able to use them for things I mention above.

Once you get all that down, then you can worry about links, combos, FADC, and all the fancier stuff. :)

And while sometimes characters are a bit odd compared the the rest, to this day I can at least competently use all characters from the original SF2CE competently (and even those from SSF2T to an extent).

Thanks for the tip, Frost.

I've come to conclude that I don't very much care for the charge based fighters like Chun-Li, Guile and Vega. But did some Ken and he felt good
all over my face
. I like Sagat too.

wilflare

I must have offended someone... I rushed down all the way to my distributor to get the GPU exchanged.

and lo and behold... the shutters are down and I see this

pgSIDT2.jpg

Divius

Even though I have this enormous backlog I decided to play Mafia II again.

I'll always have a soft spot for the first one which I played through so many times. I still very much like the sequel with the only two downsides being the amount of driving. Every single mission requires the player driving. The driving itself is okay, and driving through the city just soaking up atmosphere is fine but it really becomes a chore towards the end.
"Hey Vito let's go to the other side of town again, let's take my car!"
"Okay!"
"You drive, Vito!"
"..."

The other thing I don't like would be the aspects of the plot. The pacing seems off and the ending is abrupt and unsatisfying. Some characters lack depth or plot lines resolution. I feel like content was cut rather than it was ineptitude of narrative on 2K Czech's part.

Other than that I pretty much love it. The characters, setting, gunplay, cars, driving, missions, music, atmosphere etc are all great and spot on. I really hope there will be a Mafia III.

JaseC

I must have offended someone... I rushed down all the way to my distributor to get the GPU exchanged.

This is life mocking you so as to push you towards your true calling of GPU engineering. If you could make your own, you wouldn't be in this situation! :p

Arthea

I'm sure they intended to write
Sorry, we are closed due to your needs, but then decided that's mean

Dr Dogg

oh, I understand that spending 10 years on the train can be tiring, but we had a short stop few years ago!

Well AO is out now and I've already capitulated on two TitS FC playthroughs (bought it on PSP when it got release in Europe and then put that to the side when I got a Vita and picked up another copy of PSN and then put that to the side when I heard XSEED were going to bring FC and get SC translated for Steam) so have already wasted spent 50+ hours on the series so far. Plus I'm a Steam games trollop and will happily flirt with one game only to turn my back on it when something else prettier comes out.

edited: I'm amazed why nobody asks about Doggie being a driver

If only you knew how much of Monday I wasted being stuck on actual trains :p

Just as long as the TitS Hype Train doesn't stop at the same awful station here where all they sell is bloody fast food
(a daily food intake of Greggs for breakfast, McDonalds for lunch and then Burger King for dinner was probably the contributing factor to being shattered on Monday)
then I guess I'm on board.

Gah at the UK price of Saints Row IV:GotCE. Why does Deep Silver keep doing this to us? Did we run over their dog, or something?

The inclusion of the Child's Play pack is really cheeky given how they were pushing it. If the proceeds didn't go to charity I'd be seriously annoyed right now.

JaseC

What is this madness? BD is one of my favorite games ever but I couldn't possibly care less about FC3. All they share is the name and the engine.

I just mean that the two are hardly dissimilar in how they're structured and, personally, the stylistic shift wasn't enough to compel me to keep going. Blood Dragon is still very much Far Cry 3 at heart.

Edit: But having said that, I still plan on finishing BD eventually since I sunk a fair amount of time into it. I thought I'd allowed enough time to pass between my starting it and finishing Far Cry 3 proper, but apparently not.

Autofokus

I only played ~1h of AO and I think it has potential, I share the common criticism though. Missing d-pad controls, slow turning and while the in-game vsync works for me, I get micro-stutters here in there with it - gonna try D3DOverrider the next time.

I get the feeling, that I should have waited for a sale. It's worth the pricetag, but I'll sit on it until they fixed all the unnecessary little kinks.

wilflare

it doesn't help that I took the lift up and the level was adequately lit.

so much for building running out of power

@hekk, yes Singapore. AIS Building along Kallang

Tellaerin

Continue with the theme of Acti-published FPS games and fire up Wolf09 or Singularity.

Sadly, Wolf09 isn't an option for me. So Singularity it is! :D

I'm sure they intended to write
Sorry, we are closed due to your needs, but then decided that's mean

That's why it looks so hastily scribbled. "Shit, Wilflare's coming! Hurry up with that sign, man! Good, now tape it on the door, close the shutters, and hide 'til he leaves!" >.>

Not enough power to run all those Titan-Zs

"Titan-Z" sounds like something from an old Super Robot anime. xD

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished TimeShift. It was a great ride, and just about the ideal length, too - long enough to feel substantial, but not so long that it dragged. The plot was serviceable for an FPS, and the gameplay was solid. Regenerating health bar, hero can carry a limited # of weapons (3, plus grenades), no armor/shield bar or pickups (but that's what time manipulation's for). Movement felt tight, there was a decent variety of weapons (some of them pretty creative, like the combo incendiary bullet SMG/flamethrower), and levels were laid out well, with a fair amount of z-axis shooting. Enemy AI's pretty decent (they'll try to flank, get on turrets, etc.). It was surprisingly nice looking for a seven-year-old game, too. The retro-tech dieselpunk aesthetic was pretty neat, and I found myself wishing I could explore more of that alternate timeline.

As the title suggests, the game's big hook is the ability to slow, stop or reverse the flow of time. These abilities are a big part of combat and are also required to solve the occasional puzzle. Slowing time creates the classic "bullet time" effect, stopping time temporarily freezes your enemies (and anything else that happens to be moving, like platforms, rotating fan blades and the like), while "rewinding" time is used mainly to solve some of the puzzles the game throws at you. The time manipulation stuff is integrated nicely with the rest of the game - the situations where you have to use your time abilities to progress come off feeling natural in context, rather than, "Hey, look! We're setting up a situation for you to use your TIME POWERS!"

So yeah, enough of my stream-of-consciousness rambling. I waited a long time to play TimeShift, I've finally finished it, and it was fun. I recommend it to anyone who thinks they'd enjoy a short but sweet singleplayer FPS where you can stop time, headshot three enemy soldiers with explosive crossbow bolts, then hit "play" and walk off whistling while they all simultaneously explode.

Now I have to decide what to play next.
This sounds mostly good, so I'll have to play it someday. Thanks for the impressions!

Knurek

the new replacement for my Dell U2412M came today... so I took the chance to clean the dust out of my PC.

now the entire PC doesn't boot up. thought the PSU is dead. brought it to the service center who said it's fine but gave me a new unit anyway..

Had exactly the same thing a year ago - PC crapped out a minute after booting after having it's fans cleaned.
Turns out I've somehow damaged one of CPU capacitors (how, I have no bloody idea). Hopefully nothing like this happened to you. :\

JaseC

Wooo firefall... to get with russia bucks or not. After my last mmo stint i'm not too sure.

The RU pricing is ridiculous. Starter:
Changed price ru 499р. › 860.99р. (+73%)

DDE:
Changed price ru 1599р. › 2899.99р. (+81%)

The Starter Pack is only a few bucks cheaper and while the DDE fares better, relatively speaking, you're still looking at about $85.

liezryou

The RU pricing is ridiculous. Starter:

DDE:

The Starter Pack is only a few bucks cheaper and while the DDE fares better, relatively speaking, you're still looking at about $85.

JaseC you dare doubt the russian bear?
It's still cheap in ukraine, type ?cc=ua

liezryou

Ah, what a nice oversight. $60 is certainly better but still much higher than what the RU price was ($46.50).

Yeah, if i knew they gonna bloody double the RU price woulda bought two of both standard and deluxe. Ah well, red 5 studios basically killed any chance they had of the game succeeding in russia.

JaseC

Yeah, if i knew they gonna bloody double the RU price woulda bought two of both standard and deluxe. Ah well, red 5 studios basically killed any chance they had of the game succeeding in russia.

Raising the price in Russia to combat trading is such a tremendously stupid thing to do considering the various region-locking options available. Squeenix did much the same thing with Nosgoth's packs.

-MD-

Killer is dead is shorter, play it on normal

Why normal? Hard was pretty easy as is. I just finished my playthrough like 10 minutes ago, great game.

Also isn't Blood Dragon like 3-5 hours long? Killer Is Dead was like 10 for me.

Tizoc

Unrest SE can be bought for under $10 if use the 20% code
P36EYA-K5JYKT-ABO7X9
On GMG, it's less than half the price that Steam has it lol.

Grief.exe

In Singapore? Its either an electrical fault, or they forgot to pay the bills

Yes, he lives in Singapore.

Well AO is out now and I've already capitulated on two TitS FC playthroughs (bought it on PSP when it got release in Europe and then put that to the side when I got a Vita and picked up another copy of PSN and then put that to the side when I heard XSEED were going to bring FC and get SC translated for Steam) so have already

That's a great deal of acronyms dogg!

JaseC

Unrest SE can be bought for under $10 if use the 20% code
P36EYA-K5JYKT-ABO7X9
On GMG, it's less than half the price that Steam has it lol.

Yeah, looks like someone stuffed up and priced the SE at only a buck more than the standard edition. Thanks for the heads-up.

Tizoc

Why normal? Hard was pretty easy as is. I just finished my playthrough like 10 minutes ago, great game.

Also isn't Blood Dragon like 3-5 hours long? Killer Is Dead was like 10 for me.

My recent replay on Normal and with skipping cutscenes took me 3-4 hours to beat :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom