• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

Slowly starting to dislike Rogue Legacy. Heading towards to the second boss but I'm not sure if I want to. With these roguelikes that nature starts working against them the second you start being familiar with the content. There's just not much surprises anymore. I can't shake the feeling that Rogue Legacy doesn't have a big variety of rooms. I keep seeing the same rooms again and again. Beyond that the grindy nature just isn't my thing. Mechanics aren't as tight as I'd like either. Comparing it to Castlevania isn't very kind to Rogue Legacy.

Maybe I'll give it another go in any case. See if it gets better.

Morning folks!
Not sure if this have been discussed in here (searched without results), but it seems like Opposing Force 2 Mod, an unofficial sequel to Opposing force, is due to release the next few days/next week.
Seems pretty cool and worth a try if you liked the first one, it requires Half-Life 2: Ep. 2 to play.

Opposing Force 2 Mod - Official Teaser

http://www.moddb.com/mods/opposing-force-2
Ah, yiss! opposing Force all over me. One of the best Add-ons I ever played...
Edit: My bad, it's just a release of code and assets, bummer.
...damn Dunder, taunting even in real-life.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I'm having a heart attack over here
not cool

It's the Dunder way... crushing souls left and right...

Yxtft9P.gif

aku:jiki

Slowly starting to dislike Rogue Legacy. Heading towards to the second boss but I'm not sure if I want to. With these roguelikes that nature starts working against them the second you start being familiar with the content. There's just not much surprises anymore. I can't shake the feeling that Rogue Legacy doesn't have a big variety of rooms. I keep seeing the same rooms again and again. Beyond that the grindy nature just isn't my thing. Mechanics aren't as tight as I'd like either. Comparing it to Castlevania isn't very kind to Rogue Legacy.

Maybe I'll give it another go in any case. See if it gets better.
You just insulted roguelikes and Castlevania and misdefined roguelikes (Rogue Legacy is not a roguelike).

You are now my mortal enemy and if I ever see you in real life, we're having a fight to the death.

tylerf

I've been up all night and the fact that i'm successfully sneaking past people by disguising myself as a huge boulder in Divinity is making me laugh way too hard.

Arthea

If the game were $1 but instead you decided to give the dollar to a homeless man who then became enraged at what was really a rather empty gesture and proceeded to beat you senseless, that'd still be a dollar better spent.

when you put it that way... lemme tell you my thought process:
so you like AssCreed, which are pretty bad as far as games go, but you can't even describe how bad Thief is? Have we new possible low? Or is it on the level of bad rats after all?

OK, I'm convinced, it's not even $5 game, will wait until bundled (><)

I've been up all night and the fact that i'm successfully sneaking past people by disguising myself as a huge boulder in Divinity is making me laugh way too hard.

oh boy, that's brilliant idea, I really like this feature too.
but it doesn't always work, unfortunately

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
when you put it that way... lemme tel you my thought process:
so you like AssCreed, which are pretty bad as far as games go, but you can't even describe how bad Thief is? Have we new possible low? Or is it on the level of bad rats after all?

AssCreed is great! I mean, you can jump, unlike Thi4f. ;)

Egamer

Are there people interested in Out of the Park Baseball 15? Got a key left, not for Steam though, but I already have a copy. Or should I wait until more Americans are woken up? :)

You just insulted roguelikes and Castlevania and misdefined roguelikes (Rogue Legacy is not a roguelike).

You are now my mortal enemy and if I ever see you in real life, we're having a fight to the death.

And whoever loses will have to restart life from the very beginning

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
RU means the sub is specific to Russia and (generally) other Eastern European territories. ROW stands for rest-of-world and refers to all regions not covered by region-specific subs. A sub is the package/licence you purchase/activate that contains your desired game, any included DLC and the game data.

Sounds Irish. :p

I'm not a fan of heavy makeup. Lovely girl otherwise.

Are there people interested in Out of the Park Baseball 15? Got a key left, not for Steam though, but I already have a copy. Or should I wait until more Americans are woken up? :)

Probably. Outside of a few Asian countries, Baseball is only popular in the new world.

kiyomi

Picked up The Last Express since it was so cheap. Very cool adventure game which I hadn't even heard of until now. I love the way it plays out in "real time".

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
If the game were $1 but instead you decided to give the dollar to a homeless man who then became enraged at what was really a rather empty gesture and proceeded to beat you senseless, that'd still be a dollar better spent.

I get the suspicion you don't like that game ;)

JaseC

I'm not fan of heavy makeup. Lovely girl otherwise.

Yeah, she tends to cover up her freckles when attending premieres and the like. I'm not a freckle person but in her case they're not bad.

ya, I know you think AssCreed is the best thing on earth, but in fact, you tolerance level is very high, so my reasoning is still valid!

Nuh-uh!

1. Saoirse
2. Steam
3. AssCreed

:p

I get the suspicion you don't like that game ;)

If I didn't buy it due to the pre-order goodies I'd probably be offended at how little I care for it. ;)

Sendou

Whatever it is it's kind of mediocre. I'm still going to call it a roguelike. I mean the name just implies the game shares something with Rogue? Where is the line drawn I wonder. Comparision to Castlevania can't be helped since it seems they were a little ""inspired"" by Castlevania.

But yeah let's fight.

I'm interested! I was considering getting it on Steam since it is on sale for 50% off right now. It seems to be highly recommended, but I've never played the series before so I was hesitant.

Arthea

Yeah, she tends to cover up her freckles when attending premieres and the like. I'm not a freckle person but in her case they're not bad.

Nuh-uh!

1. Saoirse
2. Steam
3. AssCreed

If I didn't buy it due to the pre-order goodies I'd probably be offended at how little I care for it. ;)
sorry, my mistake, I had in mind - the third best thing on earth ;)

glad I haven't bought Thief, though

Egamer

I'm interested! I was considering getting it on Steam since it is on sale for 50% off right now. It seems to be highly recommended, but I've never played the series before so I was hesitant.

Really great game, best in the series so far. Will do a giveaway after I've finished my work. ;)

UncleBiz

unfortunately the combat in abyss odyssey isn't very fun :\ feel like there's a huge lack of moves. even once you unlock all 3 specials for each character, it's not much. oh well. game is ok so far, frustrating at times, and sometimes the maps aren't created very well (spikes you can't avoid after jumping down). not really sure what i'm supposed to be doing with my gold because everything is expensive and im bad and die.

Dr Dogg

I get the feeling 'Rougelike' is being repurposed and used interchangeably with the word 'Niche'. If I must have to pigeonhole something to explain a type of game I'm playing that has Rougelike elements I much prefer to use Rougelike-like. It will catch on damn it!

Nuh-uh!

1. Saoirse
2. Steam
3. AssCreed

And who knows, maybe all three of those might align in the same game one day. It will probably be called The Rupture.

marrec

Banned

Wait, there are people out there who don't like freckles?!

1. Freckles
2. Steam
3. Lamentations of their women

JaseC

Is Steam still down?
I am trying to add rionaaM as a friend but I get an error. "Error adding friend. Please try again."

Try blocking all communication (More -> Block all communication), unblocking and then adding. This should do the trick if it's not a friends list cap issue.

And who knows, maybe all three of those might align in the same game one day. It will probably be called The Rupture.

If Ubi cast her in a lead role I'd probably never stop playing it. :p

Whatever it is it's kind of mediocre. I'm still going to call it a roguelike. I mean the name just implies the game shares something with Rogue? Where is the line drawn I wonder. Comparision to Castlevania can't be helped since it seems they were a little ""inspired"" by Castlevania.

But yeah let's fight.
A roguelike is a turn-based RPG with randomized quests and stuff like disease and hunger. That's it. All of these newfangled games that use some of those mechanics are typically called roguelites, as a placeholder name until we come up with a better one. There have been some attempts but everyone thinks "procedural death labyrinth" is a stupid name.

I get the feeling 'Rougelike' is being repurposed and used interchangeably with the word 'Niche'. If I must have to pigeonhole something to explain a type of game I'm playing that has Rougelike elements I much prefer to use Rougelike-like. It will catch on damn it!
Some people do say that!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I imagine there's something of an interesting story behind why Thief ended up so mediocre. I'm guessing it's development represents the apex of executive meddling from Square to their Eidos studios. It's just so bland, and it has all the marketing bullet points of attempted blockbuster. The whole thing with rolling back the experience point feature seems telling. "Popular games have bar filling!" "That's stupid and doesn't make any sense for our game!" "BAR FILLING!" "Look! People who saw the previews didn't like it, we're taking it out!"

It does nothing particularly well. The most I can say about it is that swooping is kinda neat, pickpocketing is okay, and the side missions basically represent what the entire game should have been--open ended missions based around theft.

I really wish tell all post mortems were common.

Anybody get the weekly HB? Opinions?
WindForge is a janky Terraria with a steampunk theme. I thought it seemed lame and did not like what I played.
Stacking is a cute but gameplay-light and slightly too easy puzzle game thing.
ReignMaker is a pretty well-done match 3 game with a tacked-on shmup aspect (when you make matches you shoot at enemies) and a token "strategy" city-building part.
Paranautical Activity is a good and extremely fast-paced roguelite FPS that requires some serious MKB skill. I personally can't deal with it (yet).
[Didn't play Strife because screw it.]
Darkout is an even jankier Terraria than WindForge, but with prettier graphics at least.
Signs of Life is yet another Terraria-like, and in this one I couldn't figure out how to leave the drop pod you start in so clearly the game sucks.
[I have no idea what Curse is so screw it again.]
Lifeless Planet is a weird one to review since the actual journey is pretty compelling, at least if you like enjoying a desolate world, but the end result is unsatisfying and corny. You don't hate it as you play but you kinda do when you look back on it after you finish it.
Edge of Space is the least janky Terraria-like in here and seems OK. Didn't dig very deep yet.

Arthea

Wait, there are people out there who don't like freckles?!

1. Freckles
2. Steam
3. Lamentations of their women

I suddenly feel urge to join
1. Tetris/Peggle
2. games, a lot of them, particularly with alchemy (Atelier/Gust
ibnOIElJdFulzG.gif
)
3. steamgaf (while at work)

I imagine there's something of an interesting story behind why Thief ended up so mediocre. I'm guessing it's development represents the apex of executive meddling from Square to their Eidos studios. It's just so bland, and it has all the marketing bullet points of attempted blockbuster. The whole thing with rolling back the experience point feature seems telling. "Popular games have bar filling!" "That's stupid and doesn't make any sense for our game!" "BAR FILLING!" "Look! People who saw the previews didn't like it, we're taking it out!"

It does nothing particularly well. The most I can say about it is that swooping is kinda neat, pickpocketing is okay, and the side missions basically represent what the entire game should have been--open ended missions based around theft.

I really wish tell all post mortems were common.

Sometimes games go bad even with executives who want the team to make the best they can, and don't meddle much. I don't know anything about Thief though, and haven't played it. When I retire in 35 years I'm gonna write a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom