• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paranautical Activity is a good and extremely fast-paced roguelite FPS that requires some serious MKB skill. I personally can't deal with it (yet).

Didnt the devs somehow stopped developing it, even though its still more or less an early-access title to work on their new title?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I decided to be that brave soul.

Raven_About.png

marrec

Banned
Didnt the devs somehow stopped developing it, even though its still more or less an early-access title to work on their new title?

They did give it a final update before abandoning it but there's enough game there to justify an on-sale purchase.

Though if you're specifically looking for a First Person Binding of Isaac clone then you may want to look elsewhere because despite all the updates the game does feel half-baked.

They did give it a final update before abandoning it but there's enough game there to justify an on-sale purchase.

Though if you're specifically looking for a First Person Binding of Isaac clone then you may want to look elsewhere because despite all the updates the game does feel half-baked.

I just remember there was some drama about some announced features that were scrapped (a coop-mode IIRC) and some other things, because the devs wanted to create a new game.

If so, then its still shitty. Promising people sth./announcing something in an early access title, then abandoning it.

wilflare

okay
managed to put my new PSU (after exchange) back in
- PC now boots up after clearing CMOS
- PSU (Seasonic) no longer has loud fan noise issues.
- 280X artefacts seem to have disappeared... lol. but not sure when it will come back

marrec

Banned
I just remember there was some drama about some announced features that were scrapped (a coop-mode IIRC) and some other things, because the devs wanted to create a new game.

If so, then its still shitty. Promising people sth./announcing something in an early access title, then abandoning it.

ACTUALLY!

It hasn't been abandoned!

(Just checked the forums)

There was a post earlier in the year that suggested they had stopped development but apparently it was misconstrued.

Though multiplayer was scrapped due to coding problems, they just updated it on May 8th with a bunch of new content and are working on more.

Egamer

Let me have my first giveaway. It's a code for the site, not for Steam.

Instructions for Egamer:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Egamer, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Out of the Park Baseball 15 -- MB-F92AADBEC52F21F2

t1405529941z1.png

aku:jiki

ACTUALLY!

It hasn't been abandoned!

(Just checked the forums)

There was a post earlier in the year that suggested they had stopped development but apparently it was misconstrued.

Though multiplayer was scrapped due to coding problems, they just updated it on May 8th with a bunch of new content and are working on more.
Can you link? Because I recall the posts and they were pretty hard to misinterpret. Like Chuck posted, they stated in no uncertain terms that they were done and already working on their new game. They promised one final patch (the one that dropped in May) and that was going to be it.

Hugstable

Banned
Good morning SteamGAF. After a long day of not really getting much time to play anything, today I'm gonna start working again on Dark Souls. Think I might only have Duke's Archives and whatver else after that left, along with the DLC.
Still sad about Brolaire

Dr Dogg

Some people do say that!

RPS has had it as a tag for some of the articles going back about 2 years now. I think there was a game on Steam claiming to be the first Rougelike-like-like. It's catching on!

There does seem to be a bit of confusion with a few peeps as to what is and isn't the gameplay mechanics and systems that would class a game as a Rougelike. I'm not sure if seanspeed was confused himself or got lead astray by others when he referred to Papers, Please as a Rougelike but I've seen some waaaaay worse generalisations on other forums as to what is a Rougelike.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is Steam still down?
I am trying to add rionaaM as a friend but I get an error. "Error adding friend. Please try again."

Just checked, he has 330 friends. Looks suspicious. Guess you're right.

rionaaM, how we gonna play Left4Dead2 later without you kicking someone :p
lol, didn't know I had so many people. I'll make some room tonight, I may have some non-GAFfers and non-real life friends there who I can remove. I'll add you once I am able to!

Nzyme32

Managed to get my old copy of the 1997 Blade Runner game to work on my laptop. Someone needs to get it up on GoG and Steam, even with the issues of licencing, I completely forgot how good the game was for it's time.

Comparing to something like Wolf Among Us, theres no hand holding, no quest markers or way points, actual investigation of evidence, widely branching story, great setting and even some gun play to boot. What I really like though is the dynamic story. Before you even start the game, it will set characters to a certain alignment, meaning that on that playthrough they will react to suit that but also limit what branches of the story are possible in that instance, even altering evidence and dialogue to fit with the consequence of your actions specific to that playthrough.

Highly recommend grabbing it although it's probably very rare at this point. One day maybe it will resurface on GoG or Steam somehow. There is a new movie coming so who knows

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Speaking of licensed games, it's been around 9 months since Konami decided to reacquire the Saw licence out of the blue and we still have no idea why. I'm beginning to wonder if there's no intention of actually using it and somebody just thought it'd be a good idea to get the game back up on the store due to its status as a rare and coveted curio among traders.

Guys I made a mistake and stepped outside of SteamGAF and was bombarded with entitled idiocy from consoleGAF

It'll be okay.

hiln8rcml.jpg

Zeeman

I see Last Express is on sale for $1.75. Is it worth doubledipping if I own the version on GOG? I haven't really played it yet, but are the updates to the Steam version worth it?

Managed to get my old copy of the 1997 Blade Runner game to work on my laptop. Someone needs to get it up on GoG and Steam, even with the issues of licencing, I completely forgot how good the game was for it's time.

Comparing to something like Wolf Among Us, theres no hand holding, no quest markers or way points, actual investigation of evidence, widely branching story, great setting and even some gun play to boot. What I really like though is the dynamic story. Before you even start the game, it will set characters to a certain alignment, meaning that on that playthrough they will react to suit that but also limit what branches of the story are possible in that instance, even altering evidence and dialogue to fit with the consequence of your actions specific to that playthrough.

Highly recommend grabbing it although it's probably very rare at this point. One day maybe it will resurface on GoG or Steam somehow. There is a new movie coming so who knows

I hate to be that guy but I don't care for adventure games where you can die and/or your death is determined by something you did 10 screens back. It's one of the things i like about the telltale games, and sure you can die in the Walking Dead but it's not some shit that may require that you replay the entire game over it.

Arthea

I would buy Dune (1992) too, everywhere, on gog and on steam and drm free and, well you get a gist. Not that it's anything like Blade Runner (any of them), I just remember it every time when 90-ies are mentioned.

I can't believe No Man's Sky might come to PC after all

It is a PC game, it would make sense for it to be released on PC, after exclusivity deal is over.

Altazor

Good morning SteamGAF. After a long day of not really getting much time to play anything, today I'm gonna start working again on Dark Souls. Think I might only have Duke's Archives and whatver else after that left, along with the DLC.
Still sad about Brolaire

finished Tomb of the Giants and New Londo, m8?

yGray

Banned
I can't believe No Man's Sky might come to PC after all

I'm taking a wait and see approach with that game. I have no excitement for it and am not paying attention to any previews. I'll check out the final release and all of the reviews. I'm pretty sure that game will disappoint a lot of people.

Saty

Bioshock.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Saty, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bioshock -- MB-F91D18FF4E5A9F7C - Taken by Talon
Forgot about the thanks option. No need to send a pm if you aren't in the mood :)

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Why is spintires so expensive and has never been on sale ?

because it just came out?

It's a new game, it had no time to be on sale, yet. ;)

I'm really looking forward to the first sale for this, It looks like really unique fun :)

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Speedball 2 HD -- MB-1CA2D6C78512FD86 - Taken by dave is ok. 5 entrants total.

t1405521301z1.png

The Amiga Speedball 2 was such a great game, haven't tried this one yet...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It seems Dying Light is going to be region-locked up the wazoo. The BR sub is still region-free at this juncture, but Brazil's days of ~$40 new releases seem to be well and truly behind it, so GMG with a -25% code will probably be the way to go for anybody looking for the best pre-order option.

Grief.exe

Sounds excellent.

Can you shadowplay the first half hour or so and upload to YouTube?

Does it have a wide screen compatibility mod?

maneil99

It seems Dying Light is going to be region-locked up the wazoo. The BR sub is still region-free at this juncture, but Brazil's days of ~$40 new releases seem to be well and truly behind it, so GMG with a -25% code will probably be the way to go for anybody looking for the best pre-order option.

7-1 now this? Damn

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh damn they remade Speedball 2? I loved the piss out of that game back in the day, goddamn.

Also, Spintires is dope.

Altazor

Tomb of the Giants I did finish. New Londo and Valley of the Drakes somehow blew past my mind and now I realized I still got places to be. Now I know where Gravelord Nito got his name lol.

mclc6Bd.jpg

there ain't no party like a Ravelord party!

enjoy the rest of the game, buddy! I really liked Duke's Archives from a visual perspective, but it can get veeery frustrating.

Arthea

I'm really looking forward to the first sale for this, It looks like really unique fun :)

I was very much interested in it, as it looks to be an original game, but since then I've read some impressions and now I'm afraid it's too hard, like in being tedious. I will still pick it up, probably, too curious.

Grief.exe

Why is spintires so expensive and has never been on sale ?

Lol

That is releasing in early 2015, correct?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm out of the loop, was there some widespread change in how Brazilian prices are handled?

Dr Dogg

23 listing on eBay at this moment in time (22 of which in the UK) ranging from 99p to £40 , though it averages out at about £15 if my quick maths are anything to go by. I don't think the problem was availability (well apart from not being available digitally) but it was a bit of a headache to get running on newer OS'. Though you got it running so that a big plus at least.

Really is one of the most atmospheric adventure games of it's time (especially when FMV and 3D rendered games were starting to pick up). Some of the environments looks fantastic and really have so much in common with Syd Mead's original concept art. That and considering Westwood used voxels to render the game gives it a very different look to the 3D accelerated games of the time.

You know the licence and source code is sadly going to be in limbo somewhere. Sudo EA developed by a dead studio in Westwood, distributed by Virgin Interactive who were rolled into Titus (with the Mastersonic branch split off) which then went kaput 2 years after. And then there's Warner Bros. who more than likely own the right to Blade Runner, the franchise as well.

Sod it I might keep an eye on some eBay listings then.

marrec

Banned
Can you link? Because I recall the posts and they were pretty hard to misinterpret. Like Chuck posted, they stated in no uncertain terms that they were done and already working on their new game. They promised one final patch (the one that dropped in May) and that was going to be it.

From what I can tell they're still working on it. Though neither of the devs have said definitively one way or another.

The Amiga Speedball 2 was such a great game, haven't tried this one yet...

It's pretty good. Some aspects of the art style might be strange, but it's otherwise a pretty good HD version, that makes it run good on modern machines without changing too much.
It's also a proof about how fantastic Speedball 2 was, considering how much fun it still is today, despite being a sports game that only uses one button.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I was very much interested in it, as it looks to be an original game, but since then I've read some impressions and now I'm afraid it's too hard, like in being tedious. I will still pick it up, probably, too curious.

Watch the videos this guy made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsVubC-3Jmo&list=UUSeb5KSN6BC1c0WwEjUzM_A

He has more in his channel, nice guy and informative videos :)

The game doesn't seem that hard to play.

It seems the most fun when playing with other people, hope i find someone to play with when i get it...

it's fantastic too. The amount of stuff they have said they are looking into adding seems crazy. Hope most of it actually comes out!

Hoping that too, this game has lots of potential!

It's pretty good. Some aspects of the art style might be strange, but it's otherwise a pretty good HD version, that makes it run good on modern machines without changing too much.
It's also a proof about how fantastic Speedball 2 was, considering how much fun it still is today, despite being a sports game that only uses one button.

I give it a try neyt weekend when I have some friends over :)

Hugstable

Banned
mclc6Bd.jpg

there ain't no party like a Ravelord party!

enjoy the rest of the game, buddy! I really liked Duke's Archives from a visual perspective, but it can get veeery frustrating.

I don't see how it can be any worse than Tomb of the Giants considiering I actually went out of my way to get an item to make that place manageable. And someone stated that it's a toned down Tower of Latria, that actually makes me feel good since I didn't find Latria really all that hard. Is it like that section in Latria with the huge skinny Spiral staircase?

Altazor

its a toned down version of the Tower Latria...

I don't have a PS3 and thus, sadly, haven't been able to play Demon's Souls. I have, however, seen videos of Latria (not the entire place, mind, just a bit of gameplay from the first area and parts of the second) and looks creepy as fuck. Something very unique that isn't really found in either Dark Souls 1 or 2.

I don't see how it can be any worse than Tomb of the Giants considiering I actually went out of my way to get an item to make that place manageable.

LOL, it wasn't that bad for me either, tbh. My first run there was decent, died once or twice and never had much trouble. With my second character however... dunno what happened, but I certainly died much more than twice, hah.

Hugstable

Banned
I don't have a PS3 and thus, sadly, haven't been able to play Demon's Souls. I have, however, seen videos of Latria (not the entire place, mind, just a bit of gameplay from the first area and parts of the second) and looks creepy as fuck. Something very unique that isn't really found in either Dark Souls 1 or 2.

Latria was always creepy, but once you got used to the those Mindflayers it wasn't all that bad. The Mindflayer Sprial Staircase wasn't all too bad either. Unless he mean the 3-2 section which I actually found easier (was actually a really fun level though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom