• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

I've been browsing his Wiki page, and to be honest I don't know 95% of the stuff he parodies. I'm not sure if I'll be able to enjoy it despite that :/

Knowing the song helps, but the content is what truly drives the humor. Plus he does some original stuff as well. Here's two timeless classics:

Amish Paradise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg

White and Nerdy (A must for all gamers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw

And an article with some subjective ratings but a bunch of writeups and videos:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/14/best-weird-al-songs-ever_n_5566977.html

Kifimbo

Spare:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kifimbo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Echo of the Wilds -- MB-FA005B9FDBD9D938 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 9 entrants total.

t1405544463z1.png

Haha, I'm prepared for anything you got!
Archieved the broadcast in case someone wanna check in our races.
Practice rouns starts 11 minutes in (troll deluxe) and the competition 56 minutes in (serious racing mostly).
http://www.twitch.tv/dunderhassan/b/548130186
Thanks for the races!
That last race.... You broke iosefe !
I'll always cherish my lucky win from practice lol
Slightly off topic, but EVGA has an event going on again. It's not a referral link :) They have 4 events there and one easy one on the front page for PrecisionX 15. I've already got my Shadowplay submission in from one of our SteamGAF CS GO games! Probably won't win but I love it either way. So yeah, gonna put some CS GO time on their servers later on. Maybe some L4D2 games as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJUJJ2Hf9BA
I take one does neither have to use Shadowplay for the 30s video nor has to be an existing EVGA owner. Stopped being lazy and read the tos.
Will participate, thanks for the heads up.

Also, big thanks to dot and ricochetguro for providing the missing cards for Dino D-Day.
Level 7 now. The race to Level 10 continues...

aku:jiki

Lesson here:
Just cause a card is rare or expensive does not make it good and does not make it good in every deck.
Even in the most well designed decks, a bad shuffle/draw will leave you helpless as well... so while I haven't looked into the Magic 2015 stuff yet, I can tell you that aku:jiki speaks the truth.
Thanks! All I'm really trying to say here is that no one needs to disappointed. Yeah, it sucks that WotC is selling a "complete edition" that isn't complete, but the reason I, and probably frost, are unfazed by it is because we're used to WotC's shit. They'll try to nickle-and-dime you every way they can, but the important part is that they never, ever let it break the game. They're flashing some ridiculous things like Kozilek and Griselbrand at you in the premium boosters, but those are red herring cards that are barely playable.

As I said before. The problem is not that these cards are better than the other cards. But they have different functions, they are different cards after all, and that could be potentially cards one would want for their deck. The point is possiblities.
Well, yeah, you're not wrong that some options are lost but you have to put it into perspective. Magic, the entire game, has something like 15,000 cards. This version has something like 300. You just lost 14,700 possibilities! Does it really matter if you lost 30 more if they're not even that good?

Still, yeah, paywalls are bullshit but you really shouldn't worry about the premium cards because they're not worth fretting over. You already have a bunch of sweet-ass cards in the package you've already bought.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I swear, I have your plugin on opera but I still can't freaking see this.

Do you have the "official" Opera version, or are you loading the Chrome version through Opera. The later has this feature, the former does not (unfortunately).

They do release a new version every six months though right?

Or am I just wrong?

Once every year.

Been busy, what's wrong with the game ?

There are a few things that people are upset about - mostly has to do with the game's In App Purchases, lack of two-headed giant mode (2v2 pvp), and lack of graphical options.

http://a.pomf.se/rnnftx.webm "Goat
shooting
simulator"

This might be my best webm yet.

What game is that.

Fair enough. Personally, 320k mp3s are enough for me.

I don't even require 320k for my peasant ears.
Being old has benefits... who knew?!

No one should take me seriously...like ever.

Duly noted for the record. ;)

Thanks! All I'm really trying to say here is that no one needs to disappointed. Yeah, it sucks that WotC is selling a "complete edition" that isn't complete, but the reason I, and probably frost, are unfazed by it is because we're used to WotC's shit. They'll try to nickle-and-dime you every way they can, but the important part is that they never, ever let it break the game. They're flashing some ridiculous things like Kozilek and Griselbrand at you in the premium boosters, but those are red herring cards that are barely playable.

Well, yeah, you're not wrong that some options are lost but you have to put it into perspective. Magic, the entire game, has something like 15,000 cards. This version has something like 300. You just lost 14,700 possibilities! Does it really matter if you lost 30 more if they're not even that good?

Still, yeah, paywalls are bullshit but you really shouldn't worry about the premium cards because they're not worth fretting over. You already have a bunch of sweet-ass cards in the package you've already bought.

Hahaha.
I remember when I used to lust after creatures like those Legendary ones. But once I learned the game, there were so many that didn't really make sense to build a deck around. There were a few, but most were trash. And then there were cards like Lord of the Pit and several other "flashy" large creatures that never made sense to use when you could just make a deck filled with Black Knights, Sengir Vampires, Drudge Skeletons, and a few others and have it be better in just about every way.

Chariot

The lost 14,700 possibilities aren't that problem, since the other players don't have them too. The thing is, that this is a competetive game and the other players may have more possibilities than you ever could have without paying money.

One of the reviews said it shorter:
To clarify you do unlock cards, but you'll have to spend more cash than the initial purchase if you want to have acces to the same arsenal as your oppenents.

Oh my, the people don't take that modell kindly.

Do you have the "official" Opera version, or are you loading the Chrome version through Opera. The later has this feature, the former does not (unfortunately).

Once every year.

There are a few things that people are upset about - mostly has to do with the game's In App Purchases and lack of graphical options.

Well, about Magic, neither of those sound like minuses to me personally, so I don't think I care about the outrage. ;)

Which makes me remember to ask, wasn't there a pre-order bonus? I can't find what it was... can someone enlighten me?

--

But the real reason, I quoted you Mr. JSheezy is because I wanted to ask you about some weirdness I'm seeing in the Steam Beta client... when I view storage pages in it, it tells me that I must install flash for the videos to work... not sure what the hell could have caused this and I've never seen Steam do it before. Flash works on that system fine, at least in Chrome.

The lost 14,700 possibilities aren't that problem, since the other players don't have them too. The thing is, that this is a competetive game and the other players may have more possibilities than you ever could have without paying money.

Oh my, the people don't take that modell kindly.

Is there a link to the list of "premium" cards and what they do?
I'd love to look through these to see if there's anything that I would really be upset about from a competitive stand point.

Real magic is the same way, by the way. If you walk into a shop and play with some locals outside of a sealed deck tourney, they may have spent THOUSANDS of dollars on their deck and you cannot afford to do so. It's the way of the world in CCGs unless, again, you're playing in a sealed deck tourney.

Goat Simulator.

Is it a workshop mod or something?

jshackles

Well, about Magic, neither of those sound like minuses to me personally, so I don't think I care about the outrage. ;)

Which makes me remember to ask, wasn't there a pre-order bonus? I can't find what it was... can someone enlighten me?

--

But the real reason, I quoted you Mr. JSheezy is because I wanted to ask you about some weirdness I'm seeing in the Steam Beta client... when I view storage pages in it, it tells me that I must install flash for the videos to work... not sure what the hell could have caused this and I've never seen Steam do it before. Flash works on that system fine, at least in Chrome.

I'm reading that there are a lot of other ways this version steps backwards from the 2014, for example, one review said it well:

The land system is broken. Example : Let's suppose you have two plains and two swamps in play, and in your hand you got two cards that each cost one swamp and one colorless mana to play. If you wanted to play both, you obviously would want to pay one plain and one swamp for each. Well guess what? No. Click the first card in your hand, and the system will often tap both swamps for its mana cost.

It can be worked around, but only by changing your options so that you tap the land manually which can be quite cumbersome. Seems odd that they got this working so well in the 2014 version.

Also, regarding Flash player. The client uses it's own standalone version of Flash. A lot of people in the beta client are reporting issues, and apparently the only way to fix it is to download Flash player from here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/, select your OS, then select "Flash Player 14 for other browsers". Then (possibly) restart afterwards.

aku:jiki

But if that's your worry, we come back to the fact that the premiums simply aren't good enough to worry about. You are never going to lose a match to Darksteel Axe, and if you do, you were probably losing anyway.

I'd love to look through these to see if there's anything that I would really be upset about from a competitive stand point.
http://community.wizards.com/forum/mtg-duels-planeswalkers/threads/4104891

Hall of Triumph is the standout to me, that one is certainly pretty good. Baneslayer is also good, but not amazingly so. Artifacts are OK, but not good enough to bother rolling with.

Chariot

I can't make the cards bigger if they are not mine. So I just screenshotted the list, maybe you can find them by their name or squint your eyes enough.
Btw. I have a few, because I pre-ordered.

Real magic is the same way, by the way. If you walk into a shop and play with some locals outside of a sealed deck tourney, they may have spent THOUSANDS of dollars on their deck and you cannot afford to do so. It's the way of the world in CCGs unless, again, you're playing in a sealed deck tourney.
Yugioh made good games without this.
But if that's your worry, we come back to the fact that the premiums simply aren't good enough to worry about. You are never going to lose a match to Darksteel Axe, and if you do, you were probably losing anyway.
I have really the feeling you don't understand what bothers me.

All this MTG talk makes me remember why I quit the game so many years ago: didn't like the scene, and keeping up with the latest sets became too expensive for me (a high-schooler at the time).

Poetic

I moved onto HEX tcg. I've quit and came back to magic so many times in the last 16-17 years. Hoping HEX keeps me for good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just played 4PM, its...not very good >_>
Wish I had gone to the bar at the end before going to the roof instead of the other way around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom