• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
After finishing all of the Blackwell games except for Epiphany twice (for the great commentary modes!), I've been itching to play an adventure game. Do you guys have any favorite point-and-click adventure games like the Blackwell series?

Haven't played the Blackwell games yet so I can't really make comparisons, but I have played some point and click adventure games, a few of which are on Steam.

It's old, and a lot of the puzzles are pretty contrived and difficult to solve without a guide or already knowing the solutions, but I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream is a really great old point and click adventure game. Harvester is another one that I would recommend because it ventures so far into "bad" territory that it somehow becomes really good, minus the terrible combat sequences. It's very gory and violent though, it's not really something everyone can stand. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is really good too, especially if you like the franchise. The Last Express is a 3D point and click adventure game, in my opinion, that's really great. The Secret of Monkey Island is widely considered a classic, no idea if the special edition on Steam holds up though. The Longest Journey is really great too, but it does have some problems running on modern systems.

PaulLFC

Good to see Steam finally lists your added non-Steam games in alphabetical order in the main list, instead of their own group at the bottom of the library list. (To be fair, this could have happened for a while, it was a long time ago I tried adding games, noticed they all appeared at the bottom of the list, removed them and didn't bother using the option again until now).

Have Valve announced any plans to move the client Store pages to HTML5 for videos and screenshots? Unless it's a setting I'm missing... I keep getting told I need to install Flash, and I'd rather not if I don't have to - I haven't found another need for Flash, apart from Steam.

zkylon

zkylewd
I actually didn't notice the first link, haha. Over the past three years I've amassed 260 avatars (which probably seems a little on the low side but I generally just pick 2 or 3 favourites from a particular set) and, more recently, around 2GB of geefs thanks to other Tumblr users throwing a bunch of them into zip files. I don't save individual images since that's what fansites and Tumblr are for, and I haven't combed through the Tumblr gif dumps at all -- they're just there to post as reactions once in a while.

well i used her pictures to like get much better at photoshop and i've never understood tumblr

but yea i went through a very crazy phase for like a year in which i'd check for pictures like every day, and watch all her movies and other insane people stuff. i still sometimes goof around with gifs but i've stopped collecting pictures

was a decent way to handle being depressed i guess. certainly less destructive than others i've tried :p

Vuze

I was looking forward to giving it a whirl but all the negativity is making me hesitant.

Wow, last time I looked it had all positive reviews, probably from people who were on the dev team.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with those people - sure, from what I've played it doesn't remotely compare to Portal 2 but whoever expected this must be braindead anyway. They certainly are trying hard to give it a Portal 2-esque atmosphere with a core talking you through the courses (I don't think the voice is too bad at all) etc.

Sadly I'm currently stuck at a level in the first chapter, trying to find some help on the discussion board which could be unpleasant.

Hopefully someone like TotalBiscuit will take a look at the game to clear some things up if this really is just the Steam community being its usual, terrible self!

I will judge how bad the community truly is after Hatoful Boyfriend comes out. If it can maintain over a 80% then there's hope, if not then we must burn the community to the ground and rebuild it until this mistake is fixed.

Arthea

Wolfenstein New Order is 50% off on GMG if you want to finally use your credits

dont forget the 20% voucher if you are NOT using credit

I would be tempted, but I saved my credit for South Park until now, and I'll be damned if I won't outwit gmg and they'll finally have it on sale. Or I'll have credit for buying half of a store for free, their choice.

Just because they're there doesn't mean you should eat at them though, I assume the shock is that there's probably much better options to go for than a random American chain pizza place.

wetflame
Pizza Dog
image.php

Dr Dogg

Top tip, web browsers don't play back gifs in frames per second but use frame delay. This can vary from browser to browser but in realistic terms the hypothetical fastest speed you'll get is 50fps (Chrome, Firefox, Opera maybe a few others) and sometimes then it can be unevenly paced. Playing a gif in a media player will run at the speed is was set at composition (browsers can't drop frames if something takes to long to render whilst a media player is a lot smarter and will adjust to match framerate first and foremost) but you may as well make a video then. Video is the only comparison that is accurate.

Edit: Actually viewing the site you posted isn't a very good comparison either. Yeah they maybe using mp4 vids but they're separate files. I don't know why they didn't use 60fps footage, render that at 30fps making sure it's only removing every alternate frame and then make a new half and half video with one side 30fps and the other 60fps. Fuck it this debate comes up enough times here I may as well have a play around later, though YouTube could hurry up and roll out 60fps vids a bit quicker.

Mono

Haven't played the Blackwell games yet so I can't really make comparisons, but I have played some point and click adventure games, a few of which are on Steam.

It's old, and a lot of the puzzles are pretty contrived and difficult to solve without a guide or already knowing the solutions, but I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream is a really great old point and click adventure game. Harvester is another one that I would recommend because it ventures so far into "bad" territory that it somehow becomes really good, minus the terrible combat sequences. It's very gory and violent though, it's not really something everyone can stand. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is really good too, especially if you like the franchise. The Last Express is a 3D point and click adventure game, in my opinion, that's really great. The Secret of Monkey Island is widely considered a classic, no idea if the special edition on Steam holds up though. The Longest Journey is really great too, but it does have some problems running on modern systems.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! Wow, I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream looks super scary. :X

I will judge how bad the community truly is after Hatoful Boyfriend comes out. If it can maintain over a 80% then there's hope, if not then we must burn the community to the ground and rebuild it until this mistake is fixed.

This is the only way to judge the Steam community! I'm optimistic!!

Milamber

Just because they're there doesn't mean you should eat at them though, I assume the shock is that there's probably much better options to go for than a random American chain pizza place.

It was my first time there anyway. Never going back again. Maybe. Now to try that Domino's that opened down the block sometime this week.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
are region locks only for steam gifts, or for steam keys aswell?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
well i used her pictures to like get much better at photoshop and i've never understood tumblr

I just use the Saoirse Ronan tag. You have to be logged in to get proper date-sorted results, though, otherwise you get a mess of posts that don't seem to have any sort of order. Tumblr's not a bad resource if you don't mind separating the wheat (news) from the chaff (fanfic/"shipping" nonsense).

$24 for Wolfenstein TNO
- should I or should I not?

the Quake Weekend should be coming soon right?

Yeah, I'd expect a Bethesda sale this weekend. Yawn.

are region locks only for steam gifts, or for steam keys aswell?

Steam keys can be region-locked, yeah. That's where the PurchaseRestrictedCountries flags come into play.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The best thing about I Have No Mouth is that AM's hate dialogs could practically come straight out of Harlan Ellison's mouth. He is an extraordinarily angry man. I think it helps make those parts of the story (and of course, the game) that much more effective.

Also Papa Johns is gross. Can't stand the cheese they use on the pizzas. Way too thick, almost as doughy as the bread they use. Too thick and flavorless. Blegh.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I just use the Saoirse Ronan tag. You have to be logged in to get proper date-sorted results, though, otherwise you get a mess of posts that don't seem to have any sort of order. Tumblr's not a bad resource if you don't mind separating the wheat (news) from the chaff (fanfic/"shipping" nonsense).

There was an amazing tumbler related thread in OT a few days ago.

Yakkue

That looks awesome! The art style is a bit different, but I don't dislike it.

After finishing all of the Blackwell games except for Epiphany twice (for the great commentary modes!), I've been itching to play an adventure game. Do you guys have any favorite point-and-click adventure games like the Blackwell series?

I haven't played the Blackwell games yet, but if your up for something with black humour I can only recommend Edna & Harvey: The Breakout.
RP56N61.png

Edna and Harvey: The Breakout is a very charming point and click adventure with a very quirky story.
You play as Edna, who is confined to a solitary cell in a mental institution and decides to break out of there.
Helping you with this task is your trusted stuffed bunny Harvey, who always has something amusing to say in any situation. Contrary to other P&C adventures today, that only offer you a "I can't do that" if you try to combine asinine items together, you will always get a different funny remark when you try to do this here.
HdHjcJz.png

It has a lot of fun gimmicks. At the start you can pick up a pen and then use it throughout the rest of the game to scribble onto anything you can find.
5isW0fO.png

You can later take a bottle of ketchup and mustard with you as well and use them to decorate your surroundings similarly :)
....You can really overdo it though
Qg2FIpF.png

It's currently discounted as part of the weeklong deals.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The best thing about I Have No Mouth is that AM's hate dialogs could practically come straight out of Harlan Ellison's mouth. He is an extraordinarily angry man. I think it helps make those parts of the story (and of course, the game) that much more effective.

That's because they did :p

Ellison did the voice acting for AM, I can't remember if he wrote any of the script though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just realised the breakout is the edna game I dont have, I ignored it when the weeky deals went up since I thought I had it

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
That's because they did :p

Ellison did the voice acting for AM, I can't remember if he wrote any of the script though.

Oh I was aware, just pointing out that the character and the author could be one and the same. I want to say Ellison did the full script for the game adaptation as well. He's ultra protective of his works so I could see him only agreeing to do it if he could write the entire scenario out again himself.

JaseC

There was an amazing tumbler related thread in OT a few days ago.

Haha, the TumblrCon thread? I've no idea why anybody thought that a convention for Tumblr users would be a good idea, but at least it offered up a few laughs.

Copons

i55RGXWkzymZR.png

figures this'd be the first card i'd get

why did i let you people talk me into this

Holy shit, thanks, now at least I know I just have to avoid beaches.

Hey man, I'm really sorry to hear that.
As one used to have shitty birthdays (especially when I was a child, as in July here most of the people are away for the holiday, and I had plenty of birthdays alone, often even without my parents who had to work or something), sooner or later I had to develop this kind of shield and now I treat my birthday just like any other day, to great surprise of my friends and girlfriends, especially when I accidentally treat other people birthdays as normal days too. :)
What I'm saying is that I know exactly that today feels like the shittiest shit ever, but tomorrow you'll see today as any other, and maybe you'll get to have a party or something during the weekend, because all in all it's not really the date but the key moment of your life, and it doesn't really matter if they coincide. :)

saunderez

As far as point and click games go I gotta put Deponia into the ring. You might still be able to get the complete version really cheap and although it's fairly simple I have enjoyed it immensely so far.

I'm a Space Quest fan from way back and although it's not as brutal as SQ it has a similar sense of humour and fuck up main character that click for me.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I was aware, just pointing out that the character and the author could be one and the same. I want to say Ellison did the full script for the game adaptation as well. He's ultra protective of his works so I could see him only agreeing to do it if he could write the entire scenario out again himself.

I think that Ellison wrote most of it but had help from another writer, can't remember fully though.

His voice acting was really one of the high points of the game, you can tell that so much enthusiasm went into it.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! Wow, I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream looks super scary. :X
Cyberdreams, huh? That reminds of something I thought was cool:

My Dad used to deliver mail to Cyberdreams, and at some point they gave him a freebie copy of Dark Seed. Despite me never beating it, it kinda sparked my fascination with Giger art and with PnC games. I still have the case kicking around somewhere, but the disc got lost at some point. (doesn't much matter since it was for Macintosh.)

That splash screen creeped me the fuck out as a wee tyke.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, the TumblrCon thread? I've no idea why anybody thought that a convention for Tumblr users would be a good idea, but at least it offered up a few laughs.

Yeah, it seemed like a bad idea from the start. But to be honest I feel a bit bad that it didn't turn out like the attendees hoped for. On the other hand it was a perfect venue to laugh at some of the farcical elements of tumbler.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Cyberdreams, huh? That reminds of something I thought was cool:

My Dad used to deliver mail to Cyberdreams, and at some point they gave him a freebie copy of Dark Seed. Despite me never beating it, it kinda sparked my fascination with Giger art and with PnC games. I still have the case kicking around somewhere, but the disc got lost at some point. (doesn't much matter since it was for Macintosh.)

Speaking of which, I'd love for the Dark Seed games, mainly the first one, to come to Steam or GOG.

guys, can you add games on steam (keys I mean), for some reason I can't even get to adding screen.

I can get to the screen, but I don't have any keys to check with.

wilflare

Yeah, I'd expect a Bethesda sale this weekend. Yawn.

Steam keys can be region-locked, yeah. That's where the PurchaseRestrictedCountries flags come into play.

chances of Bethesda sale having Wolfenstein at $19.99?

JaseC

CDPR has removed ACRTAG from The Witcher 3's RU sub which, you may recall, wasn't actually working for some reason, anyway. Needless to say, the game is still region-free.

JaseC

How do I stop myself from playing games?

Buy more of them until you discover that's where the real fun is.

Edit: Or what Fish said. ;)

chances of Bethesda sale having Wolfenstein at $19.99?

Virtually non-existent. Expect a repeat of the Summer Sale's 50% discount.

So the entire thread lost it for no reason.

I did try to tell people that it wasn't actually locked, haha.

wilflare

Remember than multiplayer games in Singapore always meet a sorry end. Always. Eventually. The tides turn and turn

so far it's okay I think :X
plenty of people to play with either on PSN or on GAF

hmm in terms of ping or lag, it isn't too bad with my MyRepublic connection :X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom