• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

In light of morningbus' take down of the corporate fat cats, I'll be the dispenser of crowdfunding justice you need!

Seeing as I have to pass the offices of the YogCast rabble everyday I'd consider serving as debt collector
completely ignoring any money donated was pledge as patronage and non refundable, because debt collectors don't listen to the laws and guidance set out by OFT and FOS anyway.

For a small one time donation of £5 per disgruntled backer I'd maybe knock on their door once and ask for your pledge back. For a £10 tier I'd think about calling twice and for the £15 tier I'd make the effort to clear out my phone storage and video tape the encounter.
Stretch goals would be something like postcards from the exotic island I would actual go to than waste my time doing any of the above.

Jesus, Shovel Knight is no joke!

Great game! :)

I might feel a bit silly saying this but it's one of the if not THE best games I've played this year. Going to be tough to beat that's for sure.

Seanspeed

Banned
So... video games.

I beat Blood Dragon the other day. Basically Far Cry 3 Neon edition. Lots of amusement to be had. I haven't played a FPS in a bit so it was pretty refreshing. I'm glad the game kept the bow (can I just say how much I fucking love archery in fps games???). Lots of call backs to 80s movies which brought a smile to my face. Took a little less than 7 hours to beat.

I finally got around to starting Dead Space 2 yesterday. I'm going to alternate between this and The Last of Us on PS3. So far it seems to be a worthy follow up to the original. However, magically when I made it to the first shop I had all this gear unlocked already! I guess this is from owning other EA games? So basically all the feeling of progress will be killed but I suppose I don't mind, since I'm mainly playing for the story on this one.
I specifically played offline with a downloaded 'patch' that allows me to play the game without all the DLC(which is what makes everything free in the store). Cant imagine playing DS2 for the story, but really, its worth looking into if you care about making the next 10-15 hours of playtime matter a bit more.

Deques

I'm sorry, but ...

2014-07-17_14-21-00.jpg

What am I seeing?

Beautiful. As if I needed a reason to never use Kickstarter again, lol. As long as they can't (or won't) enforce finishing and delivering the products that are backed, this shit will keep happening.

Actually, this shit will keep happening as long as backers themselves don't pursue legal action for failure to deliver.

Kickstarter-funded Yogventures canned, backers given Steam key for another game instead
Yogscast "under no obligation to do anything" but will try "to make this right".

well - this happened, I guess ... lol

I was reading up on the game after a post on Reddit's front page and I was completely baffled how anyone could have backed it in the first place. That said, I don't know what Yogcast is, I assume some youtube video channel vidcastpodcast thing, so I guess they had a quite a following.

While I have enjoyed and bought (not backed) multiple games that started from a Kickstarter campaign, the rules of Kickstarter are so fucking ridiculous that no shit bullshit like this happens. Best of yet, the Yogventures game didn't even get an update since 2012, so I assume that (very popular) Reddit thread was the thing that reminded the Yogcast people about the game. "Oops we forgot, please understand"

Monooboe

Oh how I hate you universe... I bought Wolfenstein from Amazon yesterday and today it's way cheaper on GMG.T_T Well atleast I have it.^^

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh how I hate you universe... I bought Wolfenstein from Amazon yesterday and today it's way cheaper on GMG.T_T Well atleast I have it.^^

Just think of the premium as a small donation to Machine Games (even though Bethesda will get most of it).

Nabs

That's what we're here for. We would have told you to wait for the Quakecon Weekend deal at least.

Dr Dogg

Don't worry it happens to us all. I bought F1 2011 at full price (I think £29.99) on Steam as a wild impulse after a GP at the weekend and the very next day it was on offer at -66% off. The moment I opened up Steam when I got back I uncontrollably let out 'Mother Fu...' which took some explaining.

For me it was lesson learnt. Never buy anything full price that you'd regret if it goes on sale shortly after and especially not if it's been released for more than a month. Then again the Sales threads are full of casualties of poor purchasing.

Buy Wolfenstein get free copy of RAGE.

Shit that's reminded me of another gaff I made. Back in 2011 you could get the id complete back for 75% off if you prepurchased RAGE, at full price mind. Came to about £65 in total and I was smitten with my purchase as I got a lot of bang for my buck. Then RAGE released, I couldn't play it without having a headache and it shortly went on a deep discount sale, along with the id complete pack about a couple of months after. And by that time I hadn't put any meaningful time in to any of my haul. Stay safe out there folks and don't be a Dogg.

Arthea

I would so use DOS (as OS this time), if it could comprehend GB, let alone TB.
Also folks have been having fun, not that they believed I talk about DOS as OS.

Buy Wolfenstein get free copy of RAGE.

I'm not sure you are using it right this time (><)

JaseC

B-alive is doing the lord's work and bringing the remaining Wildlife Park 2 games to Steam: Marine World and Crazy Zoo (featuring boxing kangaroos).

Edit: Oh, wait, they went up a few days ago as well. I misread the history list and thought they'd lagged behind.

marrec

Banned
I would so use DOS (as OS this time), if it could comprehend GB, let alone TB.
Also folks have been having fun, not that they believed I talk about DOS as OS.

I actually used DOS not too long ago to play Castle of the Winds! Well, it was a DOS Box anyway. Castle of the Winds holds up... kinda.

maneil99

I don't get it.
Stump explained that amazon and gmg ect drop their own profit % of a game to put it on sale, in this case Machine games is making the same amount on both sites, it's the site who reduces there profit to make the game go on sale (unless its a global sale done by publisher)

Arthea

Don't worry it happens to us all. I bought F1 2011 at full price (I think £29.99) on Steam as a wild impulse after a GP at the weekend and the very next day it was on offer at -66% off. The moment I opened up Steam when I got back I uncontrollably let out 'Mother Fu...' which took some explaining.

For me it was lesson learnt. Never buy anything full price that you'd regret if it goes on sale shortly after and especially not if it's been released for more than a month. Then again the Sales threads are full of casualties of poor purchasing.

It still gets to me from time to time, but I stopped caring about that, after all debacle with EUIV discounts, which were raining left and right after I bought the game, which I haven't even played properly still.
As my mother says, eyes - sea ... well, I just understood that I could be banned if I'll finish it, so I won't!

JaseC

Stump explained that amazon and gmg ect drop their own profit % of a game to put it on sale, in this case Machine games is making the same amount on both sites, it's the site who reduces there profit to make the game go on sale (unless its a global sale done by publisher)

Oh, right. I'd say that's true in some (well, most) cases where there's a discount discrepancy (e.g. -50% on Steam but -60% on Amazon), but I doubt Amazon decided it'd take a 33% hit on Wolf14 for a week when it's already made a name for itself, the discount is less than the -50% seen during the Summer Sale, and (up until GMG's sale) there was no direct competition.

r3n4ud

Have at it folks
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (r3n4ud, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Stacking -- MB-A2D6153DF9C6AEB5 - Taken by Mr Bonejangles
Paranautical Activity -- MB-C873C427E048697C - Taken by bacon-bits

Dammit, idling for cards has its blessings and its curses. Is there a way to tell how many hours you've put into the witcher 2? I *think* steam said that i had like 40 something hours when i started but i don't really remember and i can't seem to find that info in-game : /

JaseC

Dammit, idling for cards has its blessings and its curses. Is there a way to tell how many hours you've put into the witcher 2? I *think* steam said that i had like 40 something hours when i started but i don't really remember and i can't seem to find that info in-game : /

There's no playtime history log, no, just a cumulative figure.

wilflare

if we have a Saoirse game in the form of that Kim Kardashian iOS game...
would that become the new Bad Rats.

shall try to finish BF4 campaign tonight... and decide on Wolfenstein thereafter

There's no playtime history log, no, just a cumulative figure.

damn, you'd figure that it would be a standard feature in every RPG, just like XP and sweet loot are.

shall try to finish BF4 campaign tonight... and decide on Wolfenstein thereafter

I have that game on the PS4 but the campaign suffers from corrupt saves so I've never even bothered.

JaseC

Jump on GMG's Wolf14 sale. Coupled with the -20% code P36EYA-K5JYKT-ABO7X9 it's definitely not going to be cheaper on Steam, plus you'll get your $24 worth -- the game is a great and has a lot of meat on its bones.

Monooboe

That's what we're here for. We would have told you to wait for the Quakecon Weekend deal at least.

Ooh right, should've thought about Quakecon, of course it would go on sale then... had no idéa Quakecon was this close.

I do appreciate the sympathy from you all though.:D <3

wilflare

damn, you'd figure that it would be a standard feature in every RPG, just like XP and sweet loot are.

I have that game on the PS4 but the campaign suffers from corrupt saves so I've never even bothered.

hmm where are you at currently? I'm currently in my own country (Singapore) lol but I hope it ends soon.

Jump on GMG's Wolf14 sale. Coupled with the -20% code P36EYA-K5JYKT-ABO7X9 it's definitely not going to be cheaper on Steam, plus you'll get your $24 worth -- the game is a great and has a lot of meat on its bones.

yea! it's a great price! when does the sale end though? too many miscellaneous mishaps happening these days (PC, MBP) lol. else I would have jumped on this + W3(at $16) already.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just read through that entire thread. In his novel of a rant he neglected to mention that he lost access to his account because his dumbass got his account phished, which is something he mentions later in the comments.

Just read a bit more. The guy thinks there might be a keylogger on his PC but he feels that formatting his PC is too much trouble.

No fucks given about account security but no delay in blaming Valve for being unable to access his account for a week.

iWgbNbq2BEmXP.gif

Called that shit. Reddit is so fucking predictable.

Thanks for wading through that cesspool to confirm it.

Turfster

woo and indeed hoo was two people?

This reminds me of the Lord Elgin and Duncan anecdote.

It's region locked, as is Wargame:Red Dragon (from the current sale highlights)

Kickstarter-funded Yogventures canned, backers given Steam key for another game instead
Yogscast "under no obligation to do anything" but will try "to make this right".

well - this happened, I guess ... lol
Oh, wow. After I reported the dev side a few days ago, this is an even worse read.
Yeah, if this is their damage control, it's not working too well =p

I was reading up on the game after a post on Reddit's front page and I was completely baffled how anyone could have backed it in the first place. That said, I don't know what Yogcast is, I assume some youtube video channel vidcastpodcast thing, so I guess they had a quite a following.

It's a youtube-based business that mentions games to their followers for a cut of the revenue.
See their deal with Space Engineers.

---

Man, Bethesda, 25% off Brink and RAGE on GMG and Amazon?
You don't really want to sell copies, do you?

JaseC

yea! it's a great price! when does the sale end though? too many miscellaneous mishaps happening these days (PC, MBP) lol. else I would have jumped on this + W3(at $16) already.

A little less than 27 hours from now. I wouldn't discount the possibility of GMG disallowing the -20% code between now and then, though.

hmm where are you at currently? I'm currently in my own country (Singapore) lol but I hope it ends soon.

After my old roommate had the campaign corrupt twice on him I just never even bothered. So far, none of the updates DICE has released has fixed this issue AFAIK so I'm just probably going to trade it in soon.

MUnited83

For you.
Beautiful. As if I needed a reason to never use Kickstarter again, lol. As long as they can't (or won't) enforce finishing and delivering the products that are backed, this shit will keep happening.

Or you could be smart about it and only back games with developers that have proven track records or at least ones you know that actually have a budget that is reasonable to make the game they are promissing?

Dr Dogg

It still gets to me from time to time, but I stopped caring about that, after all debacle with EUIV discounts, which were raining left and right after I bought the game, which I haven't even played properly still.
As my mother says, eyes - sea ... well, I just understood that I could be banned if I'll finish it, so I won't!

Well if you played and enjoyed the game for a certain period of time before a discount there's nothing wrong with that. It's when you buy a game at a reasonable price only to never play it and then it gets discounted even further or buy one day at a higher price and it gets deep discounted the next that is more grating. End of the day that's a risk you take in the digital distro realm.

For example I bought Watch_Dogs at full price and then it gets discounted a month later, nothing major but still less than I paid. Was I peeved? No not really as despite it's technical shortcomings and utilisation problems I still played the game for 50 hours and enjoyed what I did. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in the condition it's in let alone the price it is, discounted or otherwise.

The RAGE example though is something I wish I didn't do now as I've played no more than the first 3 missions of RAGE and could have made a better purchasing decision. Though as I said I've learnt my lesson albeit the hard way.

Though it has got me thinking of an idea. Realistically how long could I go not buying another game, either full price or on discount? Just playthrough what I have in my Steam library. I mean I got 800+ games on Steam and I've probably only finished 100+ and put any meaningful time into another 200+ before ditching them. That leaves around 400+ to go through and that should take a couple of years if I could abstain from my dirty purchasing ways.

I wonder how long I could keep this up and how many games I could finish before throwing in the towel and buying more?

JaseC

Or you could be smart about it and only back games with developers that have proven track records or at least ones you know that actually have a budget that is reasonable to make the game they are promissing?

In this case it's understandable, though. The pitch closes with:

We're truly honored to have the opportunity to bring the Yogscast to life in a game of our own making, and we relish the chance to be able to give back to our fans and community whom we love. We'll do everything we can to make the kind of game that will make YOU proud and look forward to sharing the fun in the future!

Also, a great big thank you to the families and friends of Winterkewl Games who have been so supportive during all this pre-production. We couldn't have gotten this far without your love and support, and we'll need you even more during production. THANKS!

Yogscast was more than happy to throw its name all over the project to get it funded but is now disowning it completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom