• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
LP2 is kind of a mixed bag for me. It controls a lot better than 1 and looks waaaay better especially with the varied locales and different Akrids (Especially the huge boss ones). It was the lack of story and focus on co-op that sullied me a bit and I even played a couple of hours of it with mates and we still didn't have a clue what was going on in the cutscenes (doesn't it play out in 2 different directions some levels?). Didn't get into MP but it was a bit spares when I had a look in a couple of years ago so don't know what it's like now. Might give it a shot again if I can enlist my merry men again. Though having Frank West as character unlock might get me playing regardless.

yeah some levels have you starting at different locations (i think there's only 3 chapters that work that way)
the forced coop is indeed a pain in the ass especially with no drop in but they really made the game with coop in mind, the train level with the cannon just blew my mind when i played it and there's a ton of other stuff like that, not to mention the multi seat vs and the spider tank/vs merging

and you're right, the plot makes absolutely no fucking sense because it's just stories of different crews that meet in the last chapter, there's an overarching thing but it's very light and doesn't help a lot
i didn't mind since i mostly played lost planet for its gameplay but i can see how it might have bugged some people

yGray

Banned
It's crazy how even though I 100%'d dishonored and the dlc on ps3, I still want it
gifted to me
on steam. I advise people to play it if they haven't.

Mokoi

Banned
Killer is Dead webm is making my antivirus go wild.
Also wth is it with my avast antivirus? Its picking up some of the webms as malware. Anyone else?
Same here. Avast must be freaking out.

Well there is only one solution, and that is to stop using antivirus software. Take some risks in life :p

LP2 is kind of a mixed bag for me. It controls a lot better than 1 and looks waaaay better especially with the varied locales and different Akrids (Especially the huge boss ones). It was the lack of story and focus on co-op that sullied me a bit and I even played a couple of hours of it with mates and we still didn't have a clue what was going on in the cutscenes (doesn't it play out in 2 different directions some levels?). Didn't get into MP but it was a bit spares when I had a look in a couple of years ago so don't know what it's like now. Might give it a shot again if I can enlist my merry men again. Though having Frank West as character unlock might get me playing regardless.

The lack of focus on the story was a huge negative for me. I didn't have access to the interwebs or people to play with, so co-op was a no go for me. The different Akrids were great, but single player experience was just really off putting mainly because the story was barely coherent. Perhaps I'll also pick this game up again just to see how it plays. Its been awhile, and those webms really make me want to play it again.

Arthea

Bit of a national pride, but Artifex Mundi games have good ratings from fans of the genre.

listen to this man, until I played them Artifex Mundi games, I thought I didn't like hidden object games, but AM games are great, in fact they are adventure games with lots of puzzles and hidden object part isn't obnoxious and even more! you are given choice to do it or not at all. Also I like how their games look.

Wow Starpoint Gemini 2 looks awesome. Anybody here played it?

I'm not buying it until it leaves EA, but I was eying it for some time, it seems nobody on steamgaf played it, though.

user237

I haven't had any trouble getting groups in Elder Scrolls Online lately. Feels like the population is actually picking up or at least stabilizing.

Maybe it was just the upfront cost keeping people out, and now they are willing to pay $30.

Gee, of course Humble stop screwing around and starts giving out good tiers after all the summer sales end. Glad to own OOTP and CSD now.

I need to coordinate my finances right now...no Bethesda deals today!

Dr Dogg

yeah some levels have you starting at different locations (i think there's only 3 chapters that work that way)
the forced coop is indeed a pain in the ass especially with no drop in but they really made the game with coop in mind, the train level with the cannon just blew my mind when i played it and there's a ton of other stuff like that, not to mention the multi seat vs and the spider tank/vs merging

and you're right, the plot makes absolutely no fucking sense because it's just stories of different crews that meet in the last chapter, there's an overarching thing but it's very light and doesn't help a lot
i didn't mind since i mostly played lost planet for its gameplay but i can see how it might have bugged some people

It does work well in what it does and they guys I played with we all played Left 4 Dead together as well as Rainbow 6 Vegas so were used to gameplay driven co-op games but it something didn't feel right and I'm not sure if it was the dumped-in-the-midst-of-things (I'm not using in medias res :p) that was a bit jarring. Like RE5 and Dead Rising 2 it's at a time when Capcom had a good focus on co-op (which a lot of games are now starting to focus on again) but the other 2 you could at least play on your own and the story was at least somewhat cohesive. If it wasn't for the P2P nature of the online, folks in here being spread out across the globe and asides from me and you about 4 other people own it Lost Planet 2 would be a good choice for a SteamGAF co-op session.

m looks like rn

Hahaha I was thinking Spring-Loaded meant the =3 variety of pomf! but we've had enough anime game shit-storms here the last week anyway.

The lack of focus on the story was a huge negative for me. I didn't have access to the interwebs or people to play with, so co-op was a no go for me. The different Akrids were great, but single player experience was just really off putting mainly because the story was barely coherent. Perhaps I'll also pick this game up again just to see how it plays. Its been awhile, and those webms really make me want to play it again.

I played about 2 stages on my own and it's soul destroying how lifeless the game felt without human players. Maybe it's because my mates are of jovial nature and can't go 2 minutes without taking the piss or having a laugh that can make even dull games seem fun (certainly livened up Borderlands). But that should be part of your design 'It's better with friends!' A game should be able to stand on it own two legs as an experience in any of it's modes. If not then criticism is fair game.

Grief.exe

Also, this controller I just got really takes my gaming to the next level, loving it.

Sounds like a Razer ad.

CSD for a dollar is sweet.
Now all of SteamGAF has no excuse to play it.

Been playing this game frequently lately and been enjoying it. I can see myself coming back to this one for a while longer.

evening

Brigmore Witches still only 50%? Fuck you bathesda

Oh and another MMO that only comes to steam when their initial numbers dwindle (like FF14), great. Really need to stop buying mmos when they come out. At least I skipped Wildstar

ESO is considered to be extremely mediocre. Likely the game isn't going to see a return in investment even if it did launch on Steam.

Jørdan

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Jrdan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Universe Sandbox -- MB-D7BA2E66E266BA77 - Taken by nightstorm

RIP Bitcoin wallet, you will be missed.

Teppic

Just got a "Listing expired" on a card I had for sale. How long time can an item be up for sale before it expires?

Edit: Seems to be six months.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Today is my birthday! Here's a small quick giveaway for the always awesome SteamGAF.
Pretty sure all the keys are good, but PM me if there's any problems.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Diggeh, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bastion -- MB-73281266703F6560 - Taken by swx. 2 entrants total.
Humble Indie Bundle #3 -- MB-56E5A3E3B79DCDB5 - Taken by Sharkiller. 2 entrants total.
Cave Story -- MB-C8D72CF4C18178CC - Taken by cyrok. 5 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-14EB6222A41AE005 - Taken by abracadaver. 1 entrants total.

t1405628593z1.png

Zeliard

The point is, the game had been in development for years before the Kickstarter, was largely finished before the Kickstarter, and was released mere months after the Kickstarter. This applies to plenty of other "successes" as well, like Giana Sisters, even Divinity: OS. FTL no doubt got a lot of buzz and probably a lot of improvements because of Kickstarter, but it wasn't created by Kickstarter funds and I think anyone who thinks the game only exists due to Kickstarter and their backing is being disingenuous at best.

My point in all this isn't that Kickstarter is bad, it's that very very very very few if any games have successfully gone from essentially nothing to finished with only their Kickstarter backer funding, it always costs much more and usually ends up taking longer. Projections aren't realistic, and there's no transparency when it comes to cost, even when there is transparency during development.

There's lots of Kickstarter successes, absolutely. Shadowrun Returns, Banner Saga, Shovel Knight, you listed plenty. But there's a huge difference when it comes to buying into a Kickstarter between a game that already has years of development and funding, and a game with nothing but an idea.

A pitch with nothing tangible to show for it yet can be a riskier proposition for the backer, certainly (which is where some element of due diligence comes in), but the actual end result isn't inherently inferior or "unsuccessful" in comparison to a Kickstarter project that sought extra money to improve a game already under development.

The biggest gaming Kickstarters are generally born with Kickstarter, and as such naturally take longer to develop and release, particularly when their ultimate funding amount greatly overtakes their original funding goal and leads to a more ambitious game.

Broken Age, Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, Torment 2 - these were all conceived in tandem with their Kickstarter pitches. Broken Age already released its first half to a good reception and its lengthy and still on-going documentary is widely acclaimed; Wasteland 2 has been in Early Access for a notable amount of time and used that to adjust and iterate extensively, is clearly a full game, and is seeing a full release this August; Torment 2 is being developed by that same company, and is in the process of transitioning from pre-production to post-production and moving most of the WL2 devs over; and Project Eternity has consistently released highly detailed updates, is tentatively scheduled for a late 2014 release, and is releasing a backer beta next month.

It's puzzling why you choose to focus on some perceived lack of merit with the many KS gaming successes - which the vast majority have been so far if we're gauging success by completion and release - and not focusing on the minimal amount of outright failures within the parameters stump posted. That's the real story. Almost every game pitched on Kickstarter in the past year or more with a notable funding goal that met it has a) been fully released, b) is in on-going development but in a playable state through Early Access or other means, or c) puts out steady updates and delineates its development schedule. The complete failures get a notable amount of press and tend to overshadow the significant amount of Kickstarter titles which have calmly seen completion and release.

Hugstable

Banned
How is the Dishonored DLC anyway? Still haven't played much into the game but it always interested me, and at 5$ each for the both DLC, I thinking I might end up just buying the game again just to get both DLC if they are worth it. Really gotta give this game some quality playtime someday.

Jørdan;121483633 said:
I think the discounts move across titles during Quakecon.

Yeah like today is Dishonored day, tomorrow will probably be Elder Scrolls or Fallout day.

Turfster

only 25% in the quakecon sale ?

why not 75% ?

will it go cheaper this weekend ?

The big franchises will have better dailies.
The others... probably not.
Still, wait for the last day to buy things that aren't a daily.

Today is my birthday! Here's a small quick giveaway for the always awesome SteamGAF.
Pretty sure all the keys are good, but PM me if there's any problems.

Happy birthday.

Bit of a national pride, but Artifex Mundi games have good ratings from fans of the genre.

Yeah, if you want Hidden Object games, go with Artifex Mundi. I'd reccomend either of the Nightmares from the Deep games if you dig ghost pirates (1st one) or HP Lovecraft (second one), or Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden if you want a hidden object / point-n-click causal adventure game set in a shameless knockoff of Rapture from Bioshock.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I like this new bundle! Universe Sandbox was on my "interesting" list for a long time. And I know SteamGaf loves Cook, Serve, Delicious. Dunno what the other game is.

Beelzebubs

I love the new version of the Steam market because of little things like this:

t8FsgZV.png

Happy birthday!

But with the cuts from steam aren't you essentially only gaining $0.02 after resale? A more interesting way to mess with the system would be to buy cards in bulk from an American server, gift them to a British friend and sell them that way due to the exchange rate being much better.

As an experiment check how much http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/753/282800-Marc (Foil) is in USD it's £1.03 here at lowest price, which is $1.76.

aku:jiki

I like this new bundle! Universe Sandbox was on my "interesting" list for a long time. And I know SteamGaf loves Cook, Serve, Delicious. Dunno what the other game is.
If you buy it, you have to get all of the achievements in Universe Sandbox. Those are the rules.

Guys, in the mood for games that focus around european folklore. I know of Year Walk, any ideas beyond that? I know it's vague but I've been reading some Mignola and I'm in the mood.

Vazduh

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vazduh, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-6029318687ADBF24 - Taken by bluechox2

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Universe Sandbox -- MB-5FAF57E3D86452C2 - Taken by PossumMeat
Universe so humongous big!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
But with the cuts from steam aren't you essentially only gaining $0.02 after resale? A more interesting way to mess with the system would be to buy cards in bulk from an American server, gift them to a British friend and sell them that way due to the exchange rate being much better.

As an experiment check how much http://steamcommunity.com/market/lis...c (Foil) is in USD it's £1.03 here at lowest price, which is $1.76.

I don't understand it either, but a penny is still a penny, I suppose.

That card's going for $1.75.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom