• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Would there be any interest in a Dishonored giveaway or do most people already have this one?

I beat it on PS3 but I have a feeling it's much better on PC.

EDIT Just answered my own question, 76 friends of mine have it. Not me though. Ah well, I'll think of something else.

Grief.exe

You'll have a field day in this thread then. Razer, Razer peripherals everywhere.

Truth be told I've ditched the soundcard from my latest setup and have gone back to DAC, amp, cans and it's sooooooo much cleaner. Get that audio signal out of the interference box that is the PC. I wonder how many folks still use front panel audio?

I just found that thread too! I just made a quick drive by comment, but I really have no intention of mucking out that thread.

To be fair, getting a good audio setup is more difficult on consoles. You generally need to run some kind of mix amp to interface with their proprietary inputs and adjust the volume separately.
I know the ds4 has a standard audio jack, not sure on the XBO.

It is mainly marketing and ignorance that sells people on those headsets. There are many in that thread that are some of the worst you can possibly buy.

Vuze

I just finished The Wolf Among Us episode 2. Again, a twist that I didn't expect - I hope the upcoming episodes can live up to this!

Symphonic

Just got a retina Macbook and (I know it's not meant for gaming, yada yada) I was wondering if there was any plugin or something to increase the image quality within the Steam client. Pretty much everything is low res and even the text is extremely fuzzy. Didn't know if someone out there had made a patch to help with it.

aku:jiki

Okay. Im just not in the mood for dumb jokes after all the bad news today.
Det var en gång en svensk, en rysk och en norrman som skulle byta hjärnor.
Ryssen sa:
- Jag vill ha en norsk hjärna!
Då sa svensken:
- Varför det?
Ryssen:
- För att den är helt oanvänd!

Now that's a good joke!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

w5Bqht8.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-D918057CBBA7A2C0 - Taken by Relax.MX. 24 entrants total.
Better train up if you want to be a chef.
Mystery Gift -- MB-D918057CBBA7A2C0 - Taken by Relax.MX. 24 entrants total.
What's in this starry box?

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Mystery Gift was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1405630273z1.png

ALready have Universe Sandbox and not interested in a baseball simulator. Hope someone wants them :)
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dio Brando, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Universe Sandbox -- MB-2119B2C19DCBF0C2 - Taken by bluechox2
Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-0FDA0060C5377264 - Taken by r3n4ud

def sim

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad someone finally took Gun Monkeys. ;_;

Anyway, Destiny remains to be fun. I wish I could raise the FOV and have it run at 60fps, though.

sprinkles

So with Wolfenstein TNO being 50% off pretty much everywhere, is there any way to activate and play the uncut version in Germany? Like, shouldn't a VPN during activation be enough or do you also need it to start up the game?

Lain

Looks like I made a mistake copy/pasting links in the anonymous giveaway. My error will be someone's gain by PM later (if you get an already redeemed link please contact me).

Lomax

It's puzzling why you choose to focus on some perceived lack of merit with the many KS gaming successes - which the vast majority have been so far if we're gauging success by completion and release - and not focusing on the minimal amount of outright failures within the parameters stump posted. That's the real story. Almost every game pitched on Kickstarter in the past year or more with a notable funding goal that met it has a) been fully released, b) is in on-going development but in a playable state through Early Access or other means, or c) puts out steady updates and delineates its development schedule. The complete failures get a notable amount of press and tend to overshadow the significant amount of Kickstarter titles which have calmly seen completion and release.

The point is, of course Yogventures failed. Here's a great article written while the campaign was still going describing why it was unrealistic - http://projectorgames.net/blog/?p=209

The point is, you can add d) spent more than their kickstarter budget and e) did not release in time based on original projections to almost every one of those "successes."

Of course the answer to e) is always "well they got more money and made a bigger project." Sorry, but that's not good enough. Maybe something like DFA/Broken Age or the very early Kickstarters before stretch goals were commonplace can say this, but anything more recent has stretch goals planned ahead of time and should know what they entail. The stretch goals we get tend to be "reach $XXX and game becomes more shiny" not "with the next $75,000 we can hire this artist who will work on the project, this addition is anticipated to add two additional months to the development time." Some of the better projects have done things like this, but it should be the rule, not the exception.

These are mistakes that even the best Kickstarters have made, and of course the worst ones are going to be killed by. No one is going to get refunds for failed Kickstarters from bankrupt companies, nor should they. Game development is risky. But the continued lack of accountability and transparency for projects both during their initial pitch and after, whether they are successful or not, is harmful to both backers and people who make projects, and contributes to failures both high profile and not. Heck both of the games you listed, Broken Age and Wasteland 2, have spent more than double their Kickstarter budget in spite of getting many times their original goals. That's not a problem, that's a reality of game development. Those two projects had the means to do that and continue on to become great games, but many others will not. And it reinforces the point that the original projections on almost every project are unrealistic.

Dr Dogg

I just found that thread too! I just made a quick drive by comment, but I really have no intention of mucking out that thread.

To be fair, getting a good audio setup is more difficult on consoles. You generally need to run some kind of mix amp to interface with their proprietary inputs and adjust the volume separately.
I know the ds4 has a standard audio jack, not sure on the XBO.

It is mainly marketing and ignorance that sells people on those headsets. There are many in that thread that are some of the worst you can possibly buy.

From my experience with consoles it seems to come down to something software or OS related every time. Since the PS2 their has been an optical out with gives you a digital signal which is ideal. Plug that straight into an amp or DAC and then you have the ideal audio solution, even if your just using 2 channels for speakers or headphones. But there's some funky things certain games do and how specific sound mixes are configured. Ratchet and Clank on PS3 caused me headaches to get working I just used my TV's speakers. Wolfenstien TNO has issues on every system. Now the beauty of a PC is you can get to tinkering and getting things in order in a more hands on way that you can't even get close to on a console unless it's got a modified OS. Lost Planet 3 was causing me headaches as well recently with crashing on start up until I realised it has a fit if it detects any playback device greater than 5.1 audio which sadly Nvidia's HDMI sound drivers cater for. Disable them and everything was up and running fine but even though that's a simple fix your not given that access on a console.

Still doesn't change some of the barmy products out there and that people still buy them. If it's labeled gaming it's cheap knock off rubbish more often than not made to turn a profit. I was eyeing up a pair of ATH-M50's the other day as I need a new pair of closed backs to not piss anyone off late at night and Amazon was recommending me all sorts of crazy headsets by gaming brands for one and quarter the price! So it's not like they're cheap on cost either.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
CSD on the HB is a good surprise. Finally going to check it out after seeing it being praised for so long (chubigans's article on Gamasutra was a very interesting read too).

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-C9CDE57D95E3CD7F - Taken by Lomax

dot

I don't think the anonymous person realizes they just posted the same modbot code for both of those games that Relax.MX won, lol.

or is modbot drunk again

edit: oh, it was Lain

Kiru

What's the difference between Gothic 3 and Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition?

Well it's the standalone addon (different main story, continuing Gothic 3, but in the same world) that is buggier than the normal Gothic 3 last time I read about it (near release). Also developed by some cheap indian studio. Better avoid it, I guess. Play Gothic 3 with Community Patches instead.

Today is my birthday! Here's a small quick giveaway for the always awesome SteamGAF.
Pretty sure all the keys are good, but PM me if there's any problems.

Happy Birthday! :)

Lain

Looks like it went somewhat better than I expected, only 1 winner, but I should have thought of that since it was the same gift link twice. Well, to make up to for my mistake, get this one (I triple-checked this time):

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Universe Sandbox -- MB-54EE005090D1A011 - Taken by The Cowboy. 1 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox #2 -- MB-C49F68068EB91D39 - Taken by Majukun. 5 entrants total.
Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-B9B58B238A5C1922 - Taken by cardinalmind. 3 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-4B057D081ED732EC - Taken by Eanan. 15 entrants total.

t1405631713z1.png

Anustart

Sleeping Dogs is much better now with a controller. Driving isn't tap tap tap anymore and fighting is easier. I'm now a kung fu MASTA.

Dr Dogg

Sleeping Dogs is much better now with a controller. Driving isn't tap tap tap anymore and fighting is easier. I'm now a kung fu MASTA.

That feeling when you can beat the Aberdeen Martial Arts Club challenge and not get hit is special. Of course the Dim Mak counter is stupidly overpowered with iframes galore.

Drillow

Bioshock, anyone?

ModBot said:
Instructions for Drillow:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Bioshock -- MB-4FFD80530A53E350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom