• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monooboe

Oh that feeling when you start playing a game that you've looked forward to and the game just keeps crashing.T_T Reading around the net it seems to be a common problem with Wolfenstein.o_O

I think I got spoiled by stable games for the last couple of years.. didn't even have problems with BF4.

Dusk Golem, are you hyped as fuck for that new Fatal Frame? Nintendo is bringing the goods for real.

Are we expecting that to actually be good?

I ask because I believe there was a fatal frame (spinoff at least) game for the 3ds that was panned.

If they made a Fatal Frame game on Wii U that is as good as I feel it could be, that might convince my girlfriend to let a Wii U in the house :p

rtcn63

I remember trying out the Fatal Frame on Wii (I've played FF2 and 3 on PS2), and jeebus, the walking was bad. Your character would move at a snail's pace, slower than prior games, and I couldn't go on.

Dusk Golem, are you hyped as fuck for that new Fatal Frame? Nintendo is bringing the goods for real.

It's gonna be awesome.

Watch out, a ghost with giant boobs is coming after you!

2JoBQot.jpg

Eanan

Looks like it went somewhat better than I expected, only 1 winner, but I should have thought of that since it was the same gift link twice. Well, to make up to for my mistake, get this one (I triple-checked this time):
Awww yis
TgkZh3z.png

Thanks dude.

Now to see what the fuss is about Cook, Serve! I think a gaffer made it didnt he?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
No, "pomf" is an onomatopoeia from a creepy comic. I imagine whoever helped popularize webm use at 4chan chose the domain for that reason.

But what else would we do on the bed other than watch webms, onii-chan?

Saw that earlier, one of the best posts I've seen in a while.

I ask because I believe there was a fatal frame (spinoff at least) game for the 3ds that was panned.

If they made a Fatal Frame game on Wii U that is as good as I feel it could be, that might convince my girlfriend to let a Wii U in the house :p

Probably going to be good, but it won't be localized so it doesn't matter :(

Eanan

heh, first time ive noticed this new image on steam games with full controller support

oPDX28F.png

Good to see that they acknowledge the PS4 controller also.

Kiru

Was surprized that I won "The Floor is Jelly" on steamgifts. Anyone played it and got a short impression for me ? :)

NEO0MJ

The Wii games were good so there's hope.

NotSelf

ModBot said:
Instructions for NotSelf:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NotSelf, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Universe Sandbox -- MB-ECC732D97BDB6491 - Taken by adriano999. 10 entrants total.
Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-D1154C9CAA38C8A4 - Taken by Evrain. 1 entrants total.

t1405632793z1.png

giphy-5.gif

Was surprized that I won "The Floor is Jelly" on steamgifts. Anyone played it and got a short impression for me ? :)
Here:
There's a fine line between gimmick and innovation. Stray too far to one side, and the mechanic meant as a hook seems uninspired, boring. Watching The Floor Is Jelly, it's hard to tell if its physics-based amorphous world is one or the other, but once I played the game, I can safely say that its titular idea influences all aspects of the game for the better.

The Floor Is Jelly is set in a weird abstract world where everything from the ground to water is made of the malleable substance. On the surface, The Floor Is Jelly is a standard platformer, run and jump over gaps, and dangerous spikes, wall-jump up narrow tunnels. The controls are responsive and simple. On that note, it' isn't the most challenging game, certainly not in the spectrum of difficulty of games like Super Meat Boy or even Braid. But those points aren't negatives; The Floor Is Jelly is a fun game, and the difficulty comes not from frustrating challenge but from the gradual layering of new interesting puzzle mechanics. From flowers that bloom in rain and those only sprout without rain (because they're part cat of course) to switches that rotate entire levels, and then switches that rotate only singular platforms, and later Guacamelee-style dimension swapping, The Floor Is Jelly constantly introduces new mechanics that add to the core gameplay in fun ways.

But the game wouldn't be as fun or enjoyable without its artstyle and fluid environments. More than just a simple art style, the jelly world enhances and adds to the gameplay and offers platforming opportunities that solid levels can't. The floor can act as a trampoline, boosting you to great height depending on the distance you fell. You can bounce under spikes by pushing the ground with your momentum. Not only that, the constantly moving worlds, affected by your every movement, is just a joy to watch and never got old over my playthrough.

The Floor Is Jelly is a charming fun puzzle platformer that uses its unique style to great artistic effect.

Dr Dogg

heh, first time ive noticed this new image on steam games with full controller support

oPDX28F.png

I was reading up on Secret Poncho's yesterday and they state you'll need either a 360 pad or a Dual Shock 4 to play the game. Assassins Creed IV and Watch Dogs both work without driver wrappers with a DS4 as well. I think it's about time I bloody got one as they're not dropping bellow £40 anytime soon.

I finished it last night. What did you think of the last two segments? I needed a long sit down to wring all the stress out but they were really quite different to most platformers gimmick or hook kind if levels.

Grief.exe

oPDX28F.png

Hopefully we will see more developers supporting the controller natively and incorporating the correct icons in other games as well.

I was reading up on Secret Poncho's yesterday and they state you'll need either a 360 pad or a Dual Shock 4 to play the game. Assassins Creed IV and Watch Dogs both work without driver wrappers with a DS4 as well. I think it's about time I bloody got one as they're not dropping bellow £40 anytime soon.

Transistor as well.

fantomena

So I can't buy anything from GetGamesGo.

"Sorry, we have been unable to authorise your payment on this occasion"

Using paypal. Gonna try cc.

Leg-End

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Leg-End, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Universe Sandbox -- MB-B68840D004C89E75 - Taken by Kaper. 3 entrants total.

t1405633455z1.png

JjTg3u6.gif

Parsnip

Finished Shovel Knight, what a great game, great everything.

Started NG+ as well, but just thinking about the
boss gauntlet
makes me worry that I won't finish it.

Evrain

Hopefully we will see more developers supporting the controller natively and incorporating the correct icons in other games as well.
Transistor as well.
Has the wireless XB1 controller been patched into Windows yet? I was considering getting one, but am unsure whether the drivers support it and whether I need a different wireless receiver.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how easy is it to setup a ps4 controller anyway? I know they never released official drivers (didnt they say they would? liars!) but Ive been wanting to set it up mostly for fighters, as I cba using my giant fightstick at my desk (and to be honest, I dont even like it much, especially for anything that isnt SF4...I guess ill always be a pad player at heart)

Hugstable

Banned
wow, i knew c,s,d was fast paced, but i didn't know how crazy it could get. rush hours are nuts
lots of fun so far!

Yeah that first rush hour caught me off guard during my first play. CSD is the Dark Souls of the simulator world.

how easy is it to setup a ps4 controller anyway? I know they never released official drivers (didnt they say they would? liars!) but Ive been wanting to set it up mostly for fighters, as I cba using my giant fightstick at my desk (and to be honest, I dont even like it much, especially for anything that isnt SF4...I guess ill always be a pad player at heart)

Super easy with Xinput PS4. It basically becomes Plug and Play as it recognizes your DS4 as a Xbox 360 controller. You just got to get used to the button inputs showing 360 buttons. I forget the link to it, but I'll look for the link to download the drivers unless someone else has it as well.

EDIT: found the link http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper Just follow this and your DS4 will be working on your PC in no time.

Mokoi

Banned
What's the difference between Gothic 3 and Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition?

I'm pretty sure the enhanced edition is supposed to be a standalone expansion for Gothic 3. From what I remember my friend telling me it's way more linear compared to the original, and is just a continuation from one of the story lines in the original.

Grief.exe

Has the wireless XB1 controller been patched into Windows yet? I was considering getting one, but am unsure whether the drivers support it and whether I need a different wireless receiver.

Just wired currently. I don't believe Microsoft has announced some kind of proprietary wireless dongle solution as of yet.

Simple. Run the program and you are good to go.

All xbox one controllers are wired/wireless hybrid. The drivers have been released, but I believe they only work in wired mode at the moment if I'm not mistaken.

Dr Dogg

Transistor as well.

Ohh nice. I can't see whey devs don't let you swap the button prompts out if it's going to be a multiplatform games. I mean they're making them for PS3/4 versions so why not have it as a choice. It's not like Microsoft have a mandate that every PC game can never bear the Cross, Triangle, Circle and Square buttons. Well unless Sony are going to object but I doubt they care that much about PC outside of their SOE, Vegas and copy protection ventures.

def sim

I'd really love to have all controllers properly supported. I've grown accustomed to switching between them.

It needs to be connected with a micro-USB cable but, yes, it is officially supported. The drivers downloaded automatically once I connected my controller on a machine with a fresh install of W8.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Super easy with Xinput PS4. It basically becomes Plug and Play as it recognizes your DS4 as a Xbox 360 controller. You just got to get used to the button inputs showing 360 buttons. I forget the link to it, but I'll look for the link to download the drivers unless someone else has it as well.

EDIT: found the link http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper Just follow this and your DS4 will be working on your PC in no time.

so every time I want to use it I have to tun this Xinput thing, or is it a one time thing?

Evrain

It needs to be connected with a micro-USB cable but, yes, it is officially supported. The drivers downloaded automatically once I connected my controller on a machine with a fresh install of W8.
Then looks like all we need is for Microsoft to either release a new dongle or patch the old one...

Thezez

Banned
Just got a retina Macbook and (I know it's not meant for gaming, yada yada) I was wondering if there was any plugin or something to increase the image quality within the Steam client. Pretty much everything is low res and even the text is extremely fuzzy. Didn't know if someone out there had made a patch to help with it.

No plugin or skin that I am aware of. Drives me insane.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORDER UP!
Instructions for Gunstarheroes:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Gunstarheroes, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

click

Cook, Serve, Delicious -- MB-34EA7223652B55C7 - Taken by xptoxyz. 10 entrants total.

t1405634173z1.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I found the platforming more frustrating then fun. Moved it to the dump after 12 minutes and maybe 10 or so screens finished. I stopped when they started demanding precision. Fuck that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom