• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

The point is, of course Yogventures failed. Here's a great article written while the campaign was still going describing why it was unrealistic - http://projectorgames.net/blog/?p=209

Yeah, the point there being that a prospective backer should do their due diligence and attempt to research what is they're putting money into instead of letting their emotions take hold and throw money at the thing out of excitement that their favorite personalities are involved. Now you're free to do just that if you just want to support the thing and results be damned, but then you can't really complain if it fails and you lose your money.

Some Kickstarters have and will fail. The point about stump's lists are that the failures are actually, when you look at it empirically, significantly in the minority. You've tried to argue against this by stating that Kickstarter successes are somehow not so if they were ever in development at all prior to the drive, which is an awfully narrow way of looking at what it is KS provides.

And these also tend to be failures that, as that blog post clearly shows, were foregone conclusions as failures to a large extent. Slapping on the name of a couple of popular youtube personalities is a sure-fire way to get attention for your project and the support of those fans, but if those fans don't want to be burned they should try to consider exactly where it is they choose to fork over their money. Caveat emptor, and such.

Of course the answer to e) is always "well they got more money and made a bigger project." Sorry, but that's not good enough. Maybe something like DFA/Broken Age or the very early Kickstarters before stretch goals were commonplace can say this, but anything more recent has stretch goals planned ahead of time and should know what they entail. The stretch goals we get tend to be "reach $XXX and game becomes more shiny" not "with the next $75,000 we can hire this artist who will work on the project, this addition is anticipated to add two additional months to the development time." Some of the better projects have done things like this, but it should be the rule, not the exception.

Again, if you are researching projects to back and you don't feel comfortable with how they delineate their development, then don't back them and wait until they're actually finished and released before buying them. You think a company is asking for far too little or far too much money relative to what it is they're promising to create - red flag. The company has an unproven or non-existent track record and wants to create a highly ambitious MMO for only $250k - red flag. You think a company has a silly, nebulous set of stretch goals - red flag. Vastly more KS projects have had completely failed pitches that people simply didn't buy into than had successful pitches and a failure to actually bring about the final product.

These are mistakes that even the best Kickstarters have made, and of course the worst ones are going to be killed by. No one is going to get refunds for failed Kickstarters from bankrupt companies, nor should they. Game development is risky. But the continued lack of accountability and transparency for projects both during their initial pitch and after, whether they are successful or not, is harmful to both backers and people who make projects, and contributes to failures both high profile and not. Heck both of the games you listed, Broken Age and Wasteland 2, have spent more than double their Kickstarter budget in spite of getting many times their original goals. That's not a problem, that's a reality of game development. Those two projects had the means to do that and continue on to become great games, but many others will not. And it reinforces the point that the original projections on almost every project are unrealistic.

Broken Age and Wasteland 2 had additional sources of funding that they poured into their projects. Many projects in general do this even to a minimal extent by allowing slacker backers and extra backer funding through Paypal and other means after their KS drive ends. If it's an issue where they need that money to convey their original vision rather than wanting to improve their game even further, and they don't have the resources to do so, then it's time to pare a few things down as far as what they'd originally striven to do. Divinity: OS is in fact precisely one of those, where even with the extra funding they were forced to remove day/night cycles and NPC schedules, two of the core features they'd intended on including. Guess what? Still a great, highly-acclaimed game. Reasonable backers accept that there are such difficulties in development and good communication goes a long way.

Wasteland 2 in particular could have been released months ago but was consciously delayed, not because of development issues or an inability to release what was originally promised, but because inXile saw that they could improve upon it and had the means and time to do so. This was communicated very clearly to the backers and few had any issues with it, because a 6 month or so delay is trivial if it doesn't handicap the developers and ends up resulting in a better game.

Torment 2 was then delayed because the inXile artists and programmers were still working on Wasteland 2. Torment 2's pre-production was in turn lengthened with the benefit that they're had more time to fully flesh things out and when the time comes for WL's crew to move over, they can instantly start on implementation. Both games will be better for it as a result. The actual people forking over the money don't care about what are ultimately trivial delays when it's properly communicated and I'm not particularly sure why that should be seen as some critical negative.

L.O.R.D

heh, first time ive noticed this new image on steam games with full controller support

oPDX28F.png

Good to see that they acknowledge the PS4 controller also.

first time i see this
where did you find it ?

Lain

I hope the game added to blink bundle will be FATE: Undiscovered Realms, but I'm not holding my breath.
Meanwhile...
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

LOVE -- MB-F525A95FE8D05DE0 - Taken by cyrok. 5 entrants total.
Circuits -- MB-943AFE86D7C32A14 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 3 entrants total.
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages -- MB-F8823ED1BEA867F7 - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
A Virus Named -- MB-14E15FA0A31662AE - Taken by FiveElementNinja. 1 entrants total.
Not The Robots -- MB-6595F05907D02A9F - Taken by davepoobond. 2 entrants total.
Retro/Grade -- MB-7F4A1965783B1069 - Taken by Fracas. 1 entrants total.

t1405640707z1.png

Nabs

Wouldn't they have a problem inherently because SCP DS3 uses the custom BT driver for your dongle and these new DS4 branches don't?

You'd have to wire-up your DS4 then. DS4Tool had issues because they used the same Xinput slots as SCP or something like that.

BadRamen

+1 for Turbo Dismount. (In the $6 tier in the latest Weekly Humble)

To put it simply, I was a fan of the team's previous efforts, Stair Dismount and Truck Dismount, as both are excellent stupid fun in playing with the physics of pushing a stick figure down a staircase or driving a truck into a wall (complete with sound effects relating to how horrible. Turbo Dismount ups the game with multiple "vehicles"
cars! trucks! school bus! office chair! shopping cart! and more!
and multiple venues/levels to cause perilous pounding pain to Ms. OR Mr. Dismount and also allows you to place various road hazards to allow you to explore your style of inflicting horrible discomfort to stickkind.

If you like Pain on PS3, this is very similar, at least as far as the kind of mental cool down in can provide, if nothing else. Heh.

It isn't overly goofy like Pain can be, rather, it is a bit similar to the "seriousness" of Goat Simulator but tuned down a decent few notches, yet I will say I definitely laughed outloud at some of the ridiculous wrecks one can put a stickperson into.

IM GONNA GETCHYA said:

Some more stuff to give away.

:)

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Armoured Priest, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Universe Sandbox -- MB-51C9F1F499B3489B - Taken by Dambrosi. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Bioshock Infinite -- MB-11D07B181BFE6AC9 - Taken by MrTeachwell. 32 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
XCom Enemy Unknown -- MB-E2C7FC121C763014 - Taken by Newblade. 27 entrants total.

t1405650849z1.png

Does anyone know how long gift links last after creating them through Humble? I'm trying to keep track of extra keys and just pasting the links in a spreadsheet. Would kind of suck if they expired...

Oublieux

It's been a tough week for me at work/life... it's cool that the Quakecon sales are up on Steam even though I sort of want to nab Dynasty Warriors instead. I think I might need some proper sleep first, though.

Miker

ModBot said:
Instructions for Miker:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Miker, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Universe Sandbox -- MB-7B28A22FD911346B - Taken by S1n1st3r. 5 entrants total.
Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-2A5618626E27ACE8 - Taken by doctorcdcs. 2 entrants total.

t1405642207z1.png

Enjoy!

dave is ok

aztek is ok
First come first served. Leftovers from a giveaway

Gratuitous Space Battles -- MB-7CB560FDF219F46Cl.
Stacking -- MB-0BF42D1BA6497434 - Taken by Egamer
FEZ -- MB-E5BCB524BC26ACEB - Taken by Ventara. 1 entrants total..
Bioshock -- MB-E999BE6C07E78CDB - Taken by KevinRo
Anomaly 2 -- MB-D26EC1DBCB2A5B5E - Taken by Ezalc. 1 entrants total.
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-678C29D718DE7BE6
Monac: What's Yours is Mine -- MB-F08D1D96C72F76EA - Taken by DaBargainHunta
Crysis 2: Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-4561DD0F7106B552 - Taken by MMBosstones86. 2 entrants total.
Bioshock 2 -- MB-626D7F538501321E - Taken by 1.09
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-AD0643CCC73AC0D2
Mirror's Edge (Origin) -- MB-8405E93D24478612
Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-DAF6597FB1FDD64C

Little update about yesterday.

My gf surprised me, was lying about having work, but bought me some cheesecake for my birthday, then we went to eat Beijing duck in Quanjude, she got me some LegoMario as a present, as well as a puzzle and two Monster Hunter Tshirts :D

Speevy

Banned
Little update about yesterday.

My gf surprised me, was lying about having work, but bought me some cheesecake for my birthday, then we went to eat Beijing duck in Quanjude, she got me some LegoMario as a present, as well as a puzzle and two Monster Hunter Tshirts :D

Did you ride a giraffe down the street afterwards?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bunch of cunty holidaymakers?

This is the busiest week of the year every year because of a big bike show they have in town, ppl from all over Europe come to it

Speaking of, fuck Harleys too, noisy shitbags

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Also, no offense to FrenchGaf, but it's 2014, learn English already >_>

German peeps speak English.
Dutch, Swedish, Greek, Italian peeps speak English... Why don't you? :(

/rantover now I eat my banana

Edit: when's your birthday Tetsuo?

Also, no offense to FrenchGaf, but it's 2014, learn English already >_>

German peeps speak English.
Dutch, Swedish, Greek, Italian peeps speak English... Why don't you? :(

/rantover now I eat my banana

Edit: when's your birthday Tetsuo?

Because the French tend to have a holier-than-thou pompous shitbag attitude and English is beneath them?

Does anyone here play Pac-Man CE DX All You Can Edition? Add me (MemphisCreep) to compare scores

If we're not friends, add me... but I haven't played much lately. It is in my Favorites though.

Mine is work related, not PMS related

You, sir, are a jerk.

Relax.MX

ModBot said:
Instructions for Relax.MX:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Relax.MX, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-C28141A558661BCE - Taken by DJSebolski

A friend gift me this game 5 min. early and i win a Mystery Gift!. Sorry :(

Miker

Is Cook, Serve, Delicious best played on a controller, kb, or kb+m? i'm trying to decide if it's a good game to play on my Macbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom