• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I'll probably jump on Doom 3 at some point. Only ever played it on Xbox back in the day.
The expansion campaign was coop right? Anyone need to play that at some point?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'll probably jump on Doom 3 at some point. Only ever played it on Xbox back in the day.
The expansion campaign was coop right? Anyone need to play that at some point?

Ive never played Doom 3, been meaning to for ages

edit: oh look, its friday.

so, that was fast?

beaten abyss odyssey (saved chile) with katrien

pretty interesting game, i'll echo the cries for a bit more responsiveness (i really wish the game would allow you to attack in a direction other than the one you're facing but i guess that's a smash thing?) but it's a cool game, i liked it, it's got a real megaten vibe going for it what with the skeleton people and pacts with the devil and artwork from hell and such

i don't see myself replaying it hundreds of times but i'll probably at least try it out with the other characters. i kinda wish the game was a bit longer with more room for a more robust inventory system and a much better special ability menu (seriously you're not even told what abilities do and are left to guess from icons... wtf) and just more progression overall. getting a sword with 16 damage instead of 10 is completely pointless if you don't have a basic framework to guess what does numbers even mean. there were also some spiders but it wasn't too bad, they die on one hit and are pretty simple to kill and fortunately they just blow up into nothingness.

in the end, there's a lot of stuff that's left unexplained but i kinda enjoy that, even tho still after beating it i'm not sure if special attacks cost mana or not or what curse does or what was the purpose of using those checkpoint coins. but that's sort of the fun so i'm cool with it

so yeah, a little short on the content side, at least on a single run, but it seems like this game is meant to be played multiple times so that might not be true. i've unlocked the wraith-looking guy so imma try him next and see about getting my hands on the naked lady.

oh also i wish they put on some hair products on katrien's hair... that thing looks like an afro

It seems like today's patch should address the speed/difficulty a bit with nightmare mode (and nerfing the naked lady). Also they supposedly improved the turning speed a bit?

I completely agree about the lack of skill descriptions; not sure what they were thinking there. And yeah, I still don't know what the charm weapons do. It didn't seem to make enemies fight for me when I tried it so I switched back; maybe the chance is just low.

I think the only special that uses mana seems to be the projectile that ghost monk has?

maneil99

Thanks to Mokoi for 'Gods will be Watching' gives me KRZ vibes and looks very good, thanks and may the god's be watching you!

I've never really noticed it before, but 09 Blazkowicz really looks like Alex Shepherd.

Man, I had to google who that was and what game they were even from.

I'm not sure where it was from (might have been Gamespot's PAX coverage or an interview with Bethesda/Machinegame) but I got the impression they were trying to get as far away from the old Activision meddling with the added mysticism slant and get back to the roots of FPS style Wolfenstein (you know, killing Nazis and finding secrets).

They did get away from Wolf 09's supernatural shtick in New Order but there's still some loose plot connections, like Caroline Becker is the head of the Kreisau Circle in Isenstadt and she becomes paralyzed during the events of that game. Because of New Order I'm interested in those connections, I guess no matter how tenuous.

I was massively skeptical of both games before release but came to love them after playing them but for very different reasons. Still need to crank out the west of The New Order but '09 always felt pantomimy from the way you can reduce enemies for puddles like in Soldier of Fortune. The crazy weaponry and powers you get, combining the two and making everyone reduced to blobs in a blink of an eye. The story, script and especially the acting are waaaay over the top as well but fit the game to a tee. The semi-sort-of hub based design structure was a nice change for the time but it also felt like it carried the badge of what was considered to be part of the FPS makeup at the time (ADS as a priority, cover and health mechanics also bogging down the speed of gameplay) which played at odds with your offensive options.

For me though, even after just halfway done on The New Order (well going by the chapter select) it addresses all my gripes with '09 mechanical and adds an absolute cracking story and cast of characters. Sure some of them do deem a little dialed up to 11 compared to the rest but it's fitting at the time and they don't feel like they have been design to fill a role first and foremost but there to serve the story. The moment when I first got to the central hub and started to meet the gang I started to walk around and interact with the people there who I assumed you'd be spending the rest of the game with and trying to think 'Ok so why is this guy here? Is he the armoury guy?' and what-not but they total weren't. The first mission after you get to the hub,
the one where you go to London with Bobby and he spends the car journey telling you of his horrible ordeal only to then drive his explosive laden car into the museum. That's not what your support characters do and they usually aren't suffering from depression. They're meant to be mean, rufty. tufty folks who didn't cry when Bambi's mum died.

That extra human side to the cast of The New Order really is completely the opposite of Wolf '09 but I like them both for what they do if that makes sense. If I had to pick just one to play despite not seeing all of it yet I'd go for The New Order without hesitation though. Quite funny really as I was dubious about TNO becoming a boring game with one dimensional characters and sucking out all the fun and it turns out it's anything but. I should really get back around to finishing that up soon.

New Order is totally worth playing through, I was just as skeptical of it before it launched, paid no attention to any of the media and honestly only bought the game because of the Doom beta and morbid curiosity. I walked away thinking I had played my Game of the Year.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Extra from the Humble Bundle today and please dear god somebody take this copy of Greed Corp that continues to go unclaimed. It was an ok game, really. I promise.

i'll take it off your hands, I guess. I feel bad taking games, so i guess i'll buy the humble bundle and give out a cook serve delicious since i already have it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
pretty interesting game, i'll echo the cries for a bit more responsiveness (i really wish the game would allow you to attack in a direction other than the one you're facing but i guess that's a smash thing?) but it's a cool game, i liked it, it's got a real megaten vibe going for it what with the skeleton people and pacts with the devil and artwork from hell and such

This time I'll quote your impressions so you don't feel ignored :p

Man, I had to google who that was and what game they were even from.

It's okay, Homecoming was garbage so it's understandable why you didn't recognize it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
so, that was fast?

beaten abyss odyssey (saved chile) with katrien

i don't see myself replaying it hundreds of times but i'll probably at least try it out with the other characters. i kinda wish the game was a bit longer with more room for a more robust inventory system and a much better special ability menu (seriously you're not even told what abilities do and are left to guess from icons... wtf) and just more progression overall. getting a sword with 16 damage instead of 10 is completely pointless if you don't have a basic framework to guess what does numbers even mean. there were also some spiders but it wasn't too bad, they die on one hit and are pretty simple to kill and fortunately they just blow up into nothingness.

in the end, there's a lot of stuff that's left unexplained but i kinda enjoy that, even tho still after beating it i'm not sure if special attacks cost mana or not or what curse does or what was the purpose of using those checkpoint coins. but that's sort of the fun so i'm cool with it

so yeah, a little short on the content side, at least on a single run, but it seems like this game is meant to be played multiple times so that might not be true. i've unlocked the wraith-looking guy so imma try him next and see about getting my hands on the naked lady.

oh also i wish they put on some hair products on katrien's hair... that thing looks like an afro

Curse makes the enemies or you slower. Charmed makes enemies fight along your side for a limited time.(My favorite up there with Fire Damage)

The Checkpoint coins if you die you will start from that point of the map instead of starting over.

Specials don't cost mana but linking them each other costs cancel points (which regenerate if you stop to let em charge back)

The game main aspect is get the boss change with the community progression and the stages and enemies will change over time thanks to community. If the community doesn't do much I guess the developers might change the conditions to unlock the other phases and enemies.

If you want to max out each character skills it will take some time as well as level up to max (70) . Also catching every enemy for training and Vs Mode might be time consuming considering some are level 40-50 with the Warlock being level 70 which I have yet to catch atm. I'm missing like 3 enemies.

Nightmare mode has an achievement now so you might need to run for that one. The current mask will break either tomorrow or Saturday at this pace.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
yeah think of doing a run on it like doing a run through arcade mode in smash bros

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
ibdD3UCVk6nA4I.gif

LEVEL 4 REACHED. 4+ BILLS-WORTH ACQUIRED.

Current total: $366.
60 from Jawmuncher
42 from Toki767
42 from Morningbus
24 from Mono
24 from Mokoi
24 from default two
18 from iosefe
18 from BinaryPork2737
18 from Anustart
12 from CorrosiveFrost
12 from dot
12 from Cloudius12
6 from Cheddahz
6 from Armoured Priest
6 from Amzin
6 from Gunstarheroes
6 from tiny raptor
6 from Chocobro
6 from thesaucetastic
6 from Pickles Spill
6 from Stallion Free
6 from Xclash

Some side notes: I'll be moving down to one scoreboard post a day, usually around this time at night. We've also added a "stretch goal" of sorts, which I actually hope we don't reach. If we hit 6 months worth ($492) of codes, I will be livestreaming Serious Sam 1 to 3. If you don't know why this a big deal, ask your Momma.

Of course, I have to thank the SteamGaffers here who were kind enough to pass on their codes since the last update:

Stallion Free, born free, free as the code goes.

Anustart must be slacking off at his job as an analrapist as he was able to find us yet another code!

Xclash activates the famous "clash factor" to snag us one code and officially push us past the 4-month mark.

Jawmuncher is a force of nature. Jawmuncher is unstoppable. Jawmuncher is unavoidable. Glory to Jawmuncher and the 4 codes he provided.

Cloudius, descends from his perch in the sky to bestow upon us lowly mortals yet another code. If this were the 1800s, Religions would be made from this man.

Times you beat the Warlock

Its addictive and yes it is like smash in terms of combat.

I was right!
And now that I've played it the ONLY thing that's "like smash" is the shared simplified input commands. :p
While it shares that, AO was designed with combats and cancels in mind -- it's not stuff the community figured out how to do that developers never intended. Sorta like the original combos in SF2 were unintentional, but after they were discovered and the community embraced it capcom started building their fighters around it. Nintendo continues to make beginner friendly party brawlers that people, for some unknown reason, get overly upset about when you say it's not a fighting game. That doesn't imply it's not a good game (though I don't personally believe it is) or that it's competitive scene loses anything and requires less skill somehow.

Curse makes the enemies or you slower. Charmed makes enemies fight along your side for a limited time.(My favorite up there with Fire Damage)

The Checkpoint coins if you die you will start from that point of the map instead of starting over.

Specials don't cost mana but linking them each other costs cancel points (which regenerate if you stop to let em charge back)

The game main aspect is get the boss change with the community progression and the stages and enemies will change over time thanks to community. If the community doesn't do much I guess the developers might change the conditions to unlock the other phases and enemies.

If you want to max out each character skills it will take some time as well as level up to max (70) . Also catching every enemy for training and Vs Mode might be time consuming considering some are level 40-50 with the Warlock being level 70 which I have yet to catch atm. I'm missing like 3 enemies.

Nightmare mode has an achievement now so you might need to run for that one. The current mask will break either tomorrow or Saturday at this pace.

Huh... what's the deal with "the mask breaking"... please explain this, I am not aware of this aspect of the game.

And since you can only use a max of something like ... 12 skill points at a given time, it seems like a bit of a grind to go anywhere beyond the level needed to get those and then just swap them out for whatever you want your current skillset to use.

--

Random AO thoughts:
I think I like Katrien's moveset, but I hate her design. Hopefully they let the community make skins -- or they give us some costume DLC.
My favorte design is ghost monk, my favorite moveset is up in the air, but using the spear girl (forget her name) is more fun that I thought she'd be considering I thought her visual design was about on the level of Katrien initially.
I hate the "homage" to the RE4 merchant.
The game warns that the merchant is a formidable fight, but he's pretty much been a pushover.
I hate the ninja gaiden-esque ghost fish. :lol

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
1 delicious Cook Serve Delicious. Take it to go!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (davepoobond, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Cook, Serve, Delicious (Humble Bundle) -- MB-65EFE28B17B43644 - Taken by bakeray

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Morningbus have the credits actually applied to your account yet? I've redeemed 3x on mine and haven't seen anything update.

No. It'll apparently take one to two bills for it to finally appear. I think M&Ms is literally just sending Verzion a check with the account number, so it won't reflect right away.

Vazra

I was right!
And now that I've played it the ONLY thing that's "like smash" is the shared simplified input commands. :p
While it shares that, AO was designed with combats and cancels in mind -- it's not stuff the community figured out how to do that developers never intended. Sorta like the original combos in SF2 were unintentional, but after they were discovered and the community embraced it capcom started building their fighters around it. Nintendo continues to make beginner friendly party brawlers that people, for some unknown reason, get overly upset about when you say it's not a fighting game. That doesn't imply it's not a good game (though I don't personally believe it is) or that it's competitive scene loses anything and requires less skill somehow.

It's not the traditional fighting game which I explained before. But keep going on circles because its not like Street Fighter or Tekken.

No. It'll apparently take one to two bills for it to finally appear. I think M&Ms is literally just sending Verzion a check with the account number, so it won't reflect right away.

I keep trying to get you codes, but my luck is pretty terrible when it comes to that contest lately.

zkylon

zkylewd
It seems like today's patch should address the speed/difficulty a bit with nightmare mode (and nerfing the naked lady). Also they supposedly improved the turning speed a bit?

I completely agree about the lack of skill descriptions; not sure what they were thinking there. And yeah, I still don't know what the charm weapons do. It didn't seem to make enemies fight for me when I tried it so I switched back; maybe the chance is just low.

I think the only special that uses mana seems to be the projectile that ghost monk has?
i think my biggest issue with turning isn't the speed but that you can only attack in the direction you're facing, probably since direction+key is how you do different attacks. so if i want to hit the guy that's behind me i have to turn around first, then attack, which is pretty annoying

and it works for everything, jumping, grapples, special moves, so yea, not my favorite thing about the game

i'm not sure about charm, i got a guy pink once and i think he just chilled there while i punched him. charm as an effect sounds pretty straightforward anyways, he'll either not attack me or help me attack his friends

This time I'll quote your impressions so you don't feel ignored :p
i don't want your pity quotes

that's what the picture is for!

yea i wasn't really asking, like i said part of the fun is figuring that shit out yourself, you damn spoilerman :/

also i think the leveling is weird and overall just a negative point of the game.

i really don't like games in which leveling only affects a single thing (aka getting an extra upgrade point or whatever), i feel like that could usually just be solved by finding upgrade items or whatever. also being able to undo upgrade and the upgrades themselves feel unexciting, it's just like 10% more damage or something.

Vazra

Huh... what's the deal with "the mask breaking"... please explain this, I am not aware of this aspect of the game.

And since you can only use a max of something like ... 12 skill points at a given time, it seems like a bit of a grind to go anywhere beyond the level needed to get those and then just swap them out for whatever you want your current skillset to use.

Basically the community the more they beat the boss the mask will break (you can see your book showing the cracks update on the menu when starting the game) Breaking the mask fully will unlock a newer phase of the boss and that will also affect the enemies that show up on the stage eventually. They will be adding more enemies to the game and more building blocks to create more areas to play at. If it keeps adding up as they want it to go it can really be a big game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
We were discussing the the looming Serious Sam 1-3 playthrough that Bus will shortly be required to complete for the competition at the rate things are going and I thought it would be neat it we opened it up so that anyone from the thread could participate in the run (co-op style) and turn it into a real clusterfuck that is interesting to watch as well as listen too.

Basically the community the more they beat the boss the mask will break (you can see your book showing the cracks update on the menu when starting the game) Breaking the mask fully will unlock a newer phase of the boss and that will also affect the enemies that show up on the stage eventually. They will be adding more enemies to the game and more building blocks to create more areas to play at. If it keeps adding up as they want it to go it can really be a big game.

Now this is phenomenal.
I hope this works out.

Why would you want to get anywhere beyond say, level 35 or so with a character though? Unless they're your favorite and it happens naturally because you just play all the time, that is.

maneil99

We were discussing the the looming Serious Sam 1-3 playthrough that Bus will shortly be required to complete for the competition at the rate things are going and I thought it would be neat it we opened it up so that anyone from the thread could participate in the run (co-op style) and turn it into a real clusterfuck that is interesting to watch as well as listen too.

Is there friendly fire :)

Vazra

Now this is phenomenal.
I hope this works out.

Why would you want to get anywhere beyond say, level 35 or so with a character though? Unless they're your favorite and it happens naturally because you just play all the time, that is.

Im level 65 with Katrien. I'm aiming to max out everyone eventually but I really love the combos I can come up with Katrien. (15-18ish hits) If you stay level 35 you cant capture the enemies that are higher level than yours therefore wont unlock them for training or Vs Mode.

I tried Grand Chase (that beatemup MMO that was just released).
Honestly I got as far as 10 seconds into the tutorial.
Bad frame-rate and input lag when I hit the attack button.

Instantly uninstalled.
Apparently it's actually a really old game or something.
Whatevs.

Deitus

I tried Grand Chase (that beatemup MMO that was just released).
Honestly I got as far as 10 seconds into the tutorial.
Bad frame-rate and input lag when I hit the attack button.

Instantly uninstalled.
Apparently it's actually a really old game or something.
Whatevs.

It is an old game. I think I briefly played it around 8 years ago, and even then it had been out in Korea for some time before that.

Wow.

Abyss Odyssey is really a shitty game. I mean, I played it for about 3 hours now and it just feels so clunky. As if a 10 year old developed his first gamemaker game.
The graphics also look like something from 20 years ago.
2d? Come on, man!
And the music, omg. Worst music ever.

The game just isnt any fun at all. Who would buy this p.o.s?

Giving Gravelord_Nito a heart attack ;)

Actually I really want to start it this weekend.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow.

Abyss Odyssey is really a shitty game. I mean, I played it for about 3 hours now and it just feels so clunky. As if a 10 year old developed his first gamemaker game.
2d? Come on, man!

hey now

gm is no joke :mad:

iYPNoFUGYQWKO.png

Vazra

Wow.

2d? Come on, man!

Are you the guy who hates Chile?
j4mV4bR641Jrb.png

Wow. I have Magic 2013 and I already thought that game was kind of eeeeh but this

WTF wow

Damn, that's really impressive, in a very poor way. Is it because of the premium packs, i haven't been following much.

It seems to be that they stripped a lot of features out from previous releases, microtransactions, bleh UI (I can attest to this from 2013 -- this should have been fixed), grinding, etc. In short, I wouldn't support this game.

Yes, just logged back into Steam after working really hard on a video project for the past couple of days, to see i can use the market again, and that i got a Papers Please booster. Open it, FOIL!

Time to start saving up for Shovel Knight.

Silaerion

Neo Member
Just a heads-up for people who have defeated the Warlock on Nightmare Mode in Abyss Odyssey: there's a bug that causes any further Warlock kills to not register on the Leaderboards. I started noticing it myself after defeating him an additional three times after clearing Nightmare Mode. It's not certain if it originates with Nightmare Mode, but that seems to be the developer's focus of attention as of the moment.

It looks like the patch itself may have broke the Leaderboards according to this post, but again, nothing certain yet.

Edit: This post seems to confirm that the patch broke the overall Leaderboards and, in turn, the progression system regarding the Warlock. I have to admit, that's pretty darn disappointing as ACE Team's basically telling people to quit playing the game until the next patch if all they're looking to do is help unlock new content.

Anyhow, I figured I'd post this information here as well due to the recent discussion regarding Abyss Odyssey. That, and the fact that not everyone participates in the official topic of certain games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom