• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can forgive some of the weak sales when Playfire gave copious amount of rewards the last few months, but now that Playfire rewards has become more selective (mostly new releases and indie stuff) with smaller rewards, I'd expect GMG to have better sales. Double whammy of small rewards and weak discounts makes everybody disgruntled.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What you thought Quakecon would be about Quake?

he also thinks comic con is about comics

rimshot-gary.gif

Cities In Motion any good? or the sequel? its on sale everywhere, always curious about it...its not actually a city building sim correct?

FloatOn

If I ever get Quake 5 it better be the follow up to Quake 3 Arena.

As much as I love a good story driven fps campaign, no other fps multiplayer has been able to capture the magic for me as much as Q3 did.

It still bums me out on the regular that the arena shooter is pretty much dead.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I just bought Wolfenstein 3D from GMG for 60p with a voucher, dat 14p saving. At least I have the two best Wolfenstein games now.

Turfster

Cities In Motion any good? or the sequel? its on sale everywhere, always curious about it...its not actually a city building sim correct?

It's a transportation manager. You build out bus/tram/subway/rivertaxi lines.
It's not bad, altho it's a bit fiddly.
The second one is prettier and has a few more options, but they seem to have totally broken subways.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Lots of people seem to be upset with GMG lately. I can't check what they have done since I'm banned from both playfire and GMG but from what I've heard they nerfed the rewards hard, they still offer shitty discounts in their massively overpriced store and their coupons don't work with credit. Just the fact that most people are willing only to spend their free GMG credit to buy stuff from them speaks by itself.

They also seem to have gone on an insane banning streak recently. all of my steamfriends (not on GAF) who have also scammed hundreds of dollars of rewards got banhammered in the last few weeks

What's even funnier is that a RL friend who wasn't even into the playfire rewards thing but was a member of the playfire community and he was visiting the site daily to discuss games got recently banned for scamming credit!!!. He emailed the playfire support and got the same dickish response, they even threatened him that they were gonna report his account to Valve

Lomax

I don't know, I bought Wolfenstein TNO from them the other day which I wouldn't have done otherwise, that's about £7 they have now they didn't before.

Except you actually cost them money with that purchase, as they still have to give Bethesda the full amount (minus their 30% cut).

I can forgive some of the weak sales when Playfire gave copious amount of rewards the last few months, but now that Playfire rewards has become more selective (mostly new releases and indie stuff) with smaller rewards, I'd expect GMG to have better sales. Double whammy of small rewards and weak discounts makes everybody disgruntled.

They haven't had quite as many "great" deals like they have had in the past, but like right now, with the exception of some dlc, they have the same thing they always did, which is Steam price plus a 20% off voucher. It's just we all have credit now we want to use and the vouchers don't stack so it comes down to choosing the better deal or credit use. But the same dilemma has existed with card money for a while now too.

because with the voucher it does match it, but if you use the voucher you cant use credit

Well this policy only applies for the DLC then. Their price for the GOTY version matches other sites and with the coupon it goes cheaper. Not really sure why the DLC alone gets this special treatment.

They also seem to have gone on an insane banning streak recently. all of my steamfriends (not on GAF) who have also scammed hundreds of dollars of rewards got banhammered in the last few weeks

Surely that is not cause for complaint.

Sub Zero

You don't say...

Yeah, I doubt they have any automated systems that detect suspicious activity. They just check which accounts are hoarding large amounts of credit or are only buying stuff from free from their store and they hit them with bans without putting much thought into it

Surely that is not cause for complaint.

Wasn't complaining. Just pointing that out. Also a warning for fellow credit scammers to tone down their credit cheating

Vuze

What's even funnier is that a RL friend who wasn't even into the playfire rewards thing but was a member of the playfire community and he was visiting the site daily to discuss games got recently banned for scamming credit!!!. He emailed the playfire support and got the same dickish response, they even threatened him that they were gonna report his account to Valve

So you're saying he got banned for no reason?

Grief.exe

Yeah, I doubt they have any automated systems that detect suspicious activity. They just check which accounts are hoarding large amounts of credit or are only buying stuff from free from their store and they hit them with bans without putting much thought into it

Could be just checking how they are using SAM to unlock achievements. It could be very obvious depending on how they go about it.

Valve could be flagging accounts that use SAM then kicking that data back to Playfire as well. Could be an automated system.

Sub Zero

So you're saying he got banned for no reason?

Yep, he only used rewards credit once (when it launched) and bought two BL2 skins. He never bothered with the program after that

Sub Zero, why are all of your friends thieves? Is it because they're ninjas, too?

Well all the people in question were traders, so they had an affection for free money

JakeD

Well this policy only applies for the DLC then. Their price for the GOTY version matches other sites and with the coupon it goes cheaper. Not really sure why the DLC alone gets this special treatment.

it's almost like they are intentionally trying to piss people off, haha. a few months ago, gamefly had the DLC for 50% off plus a 20% coupon that made it $3.99. i regret passing on the deal now. it's only a dollar but i just refuse to pay $5 for a piece of DLC when the GOTY edition is less than 10

Zafir

Could be just checking how they are using SAM to unlock achievements. It could be very obvious depending on how they go about it.

Valve could be flagging accounts that use SAM then kicking that data back to Playfire as well. Could be an automated system.
How else would they check besides time unlocked being odd though?

I only ask because that could cause problems with people not using SAM at all, and just getting achievements unlocked retroactively from saves they had from a non-steam version. For example, I've never used SAM ever, but with Skyrim and Witcher 2 I imported saves from my PS3 version of Skyrim and non steam version of Witcher 2, and now I've got a bunch of random achievements which look very odd.

Vuze

How else would they check besides time unlocked being odd though?

I only ask because that could cause problems with people not using SAM at all, and just getting achievements unlocked retroactively from saves they had from a non-steam version. For example, I've never used SAM ever, but with Skyrim and Witcher 2 I imported saves from my PS3 version of Skyrim and non steam version of Witcher 2, and now I've got a bunch of random achievements which look very odd.

Probably also recorded playtime on the game.

If Valve is flagging accounts that use SAM, I'd assume that only applies to those that use SAM to unlock achievements and not just to idle for cards?

I imagine they deliberately included achievements that could only be unlocked after other progression ones are unlocked. Plenty of times I saw people unlocking only the three ones playfire required without any of the ones that couldn't possibly be avoided. It's a pretty big and obvious red flag.

Sub Zero

If Valve is flagging accounts that use SAM, I'd assume that only applies to those that use SAM to unlock achievements and not just to idle for cards?

I don't think Valve is doing that. That may only happen if you're playing a VAC protected game with SAM running in the background, but even then a VAC ban or a "flag" is pretty unlikely

Vuze

I don't think they're doing that honestly. I mean, why would they care? Also, I'm not quite sure how SAM works technically, how does it pretend to have the game running? Somebody got info on that?

Well, that's also not going to be accurate with my mentioned scenario. =/
Granted, that's true but the only other thing I can think of. :s

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Farm for your Life 75% off on GMG, might blow some credit on that, looks cute.

Does Valve care though? Unless it changed from the beginning, I didn't think they had any stake in the matter. I'm sure Playfire/GMG have automated it since the beginning, but earlier on I think it was pretty manual. That's why it took so damn long for rewards to recognize.

That being said, compare play time and cheevo unlocks is a pretty obvious way to check for scammers.

Hugstable

Banned
Is Dead Rising 3 still not region locked? Finally got all my cards sold and about to buy keys to get it from someone on TF2outpost, just wanted to make sure it wasn't region locked yet.

JakeD

Well, that's also not going to be accurate with my mentioned scenario. =/

yeah, i simultaneously popped about 20 skyrim achievements when i transported my save over from ps3. it would have been a huge red flag probably would have gotten me banned from playfire if they have rewards for skyrim at the time.

then again, using old saves to get steam achievements does go against the spirit of playfire anyway, so it's really only an issue if the person using an old save that got banned didn't know of the current playfire rewards.

i really doubt valve is tracking SAM usage, and it's even less likely they'd be giving that info to playfire, given their communication skills

Rhaknar

since when does activating a key remove the game from your wishlist?

also, Toxic Bunny on the store now, another bundle game (indieroyale debut 13), that is A LOT of games on the store right now with upcoming keys (hopefully)

Tizoc

since when does activating a key remove the game from your wishlist?

also, Toxic Bunny on the store now, another bundle game (indieroyale debut 13), that is A LOT of games on the store right now with upcoming keys (hopefully)
Pretty sure thats cu of enhances steam.

Haha Mokoi got the best of both worlds.

But Magic 2015 make me angry.
It could be that I overseeng something, but this fucker blocked a creature of mine and then tapped to sacrfiy another of his creature to give the tokens to this fucker. I don't think that it works like that.

Nah, I think it does work like that. Tapping creatures to use special abilities is pretty much an "instant". Being tapped only prevents a creature from blocking, but since the creature was already assigned to block yours. In this case, the ability acts like a permanent giant growth for +x/+x where x is the amount of attack/defense of the creature sacrificed.

Don't quote me on this, my magic is rusty, but to the best of my knowledge, this is how that should work.

I played it last night sigh Phoenix and Hugs. I think it might be a game changer.

I'd say... :\

Is Dead Rising 3 still not region locked? Finally got all my cards sold and about to buy keys to get it from someone on TF2outpost, just wanted to make sure it wasn't region locked yet.

Not that I've heard.

Protip: when dealing with a TF2Outpost person (and not a bot), you can go to their steam profile and look at their inventory -- if you do so, you can find the item you want and see if it has one of those ! RESTRICTED USE warnings on it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nope, I bought a key for a game that was on my wishlist today, activated it in the client and it got instantly removed from my wishlist. Must be a new feature

Wow, about time I say! Now it would be super sweet if they pushed it through so that it showed on your friends activity.

If I can get some more confirmation of this, I'll probably be removing that feature in an upcoming version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom