• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrand

Huh, seems the GMG Wolf came not only with the DOOM beta but also the TF2 pre-order items which seem to be worth 2-3 keys together... I didn't think they did TF2 stuff for games bought outside of the Steam store.

Rudakus

When I click on The Elder Scrolls Online to view its DLC it shows the title as "The Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition w/ Extra Key"... What does the extra key refer to?

Caerith

If I theoretically win Wolfenstein sometime in the future here, can I activate it on German-Steam? And should it activate, do I get the German Cut version?

I believe you won't be able to activate it at all, even with VPN or a vacation in Austria.

Edit: Then again, seeing that my friend in Germany has been playing it, maybe you can.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Huh, seems the GMG Wolf came not only with the DOOM beta but also the TF2 pre-order items which seem to be worth 2-3 keys together... I didn't think they did TF2 stuff for games bought outside of the Steam store.

In the past that was true because store and retail subs were separate, but these days they're one and the same (although a publisher can opt for a retail-specific sub if it so chooses).

When I click on The Elder Scrolls Online to view its DLC it shows the title as "The Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition w/ Extra Key"... What does the extra key refer to?

The wolf pet thing.

What is this trickery? Seriously, how does that work, Master of the Database?

Also, Divinity just crashed on me. I landed a critical hit on a fire monster (just northish of Cyseal) and went for another swipe. As soon as I hit the monster, the game crashed :( I'm a sad panda.

If I theoretically win Wolfenstein sometime in the future here, can I activate it on German-Steam? And should it activate, do I get the German Cut version?

If you win a non-german version of the game (either ROW or RU) you will need a VPN to activate, download it and even to play it. But it will be uncensored. I would invest in a paid VPN for a couple days just to activate and download this game. Because downloading 40 gb using a free VPN with slow-as-hell speeds would be insane.

Start the download, then disconnect from the VPN.

Or you can try that.

derExperte

If you win a non-german version of the game (either ROW or RU) you will need a VPN to activate, download it and even to play it. But it will be uncensored. I would invest in a paid VPN for a couple days just to activate and download this game. Because downloading 40 gb using a free VPN with slow-as-hell speeds would be insane.

Start the download, then disconnect from the VPN.

I believe you won't be able to activate it at all, even with VPN or a vacation in Austria.
Huh? But tno from the wuake bundle grants access to the uncensored version in Germany. Shouldn't the key you get when buying from the quakecon deal page be the same? If not, would suck hard to shell out so much for only one game. Hope JaseC can clear things up.
Why isn't he arleady the steam community manager :p

Ryne

Having problems with NeoGaf and my ISP all week. Finally have it working, time to catch up.

Probably will pick up that Prototype bundle on steam, never played the games.

Genki

I dunno man. 14k seems like nothing. I hear it's actually a really popular psp title, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it doing a lot more than that.

Close to 16k now. I don't think that's insignificant at all, though I'm sure a large portion would never buy it or maybe even know about it if not for this stunt. I guess it's not too different from heavy bundling for next to no profit per copy, but this is a Falcom title; for the purposes of getting greenlit it's definitely unnecessary.

Caerith

Huh? But tno from the wuake bundle grants access to the uncensored version in Germany. Shouldn't the key you get when buying from the quakecon deal page be the same? If not, would suck hard to shell out so much for only one game. Hope JaseC can clear things up.
Why isn't he arleady the steam community manager :p

I defer to derExperte and Krusenstern's expertise on this. I'm not German, I only know this game has been particularly difficult for Germans to play and that German gamers should really get involved in politics to fix this mess.

JaseC

Wolf14 ROW's own subs are heavily region-locked -- you'd need a VPN not only to activate the game but also play it (although there are ways around the latter, none of which are ideal). If bought as part of the QuakeCon bundle, though, then it's region-free. Note that Germany's own QuakeCon bundle doesn't contain Wolf14 at all -- for some reason the so-called "German Edition" is absent.

_hekk05

Banned
Close to 16k now. I don't think that's insignificant at all, though I'm sure a large portion would never buy it or maybe even know about it if not for this stunt. I guess it's not too different from heavy bundling for next to no profit per copy, but this is a Falcom title; for the purposes of getting greenlit it's definitely unnecessary.

Yeah they definitely didn't need to do this to get it greenlit. So perhaps they need it greenlit fast? Autumn seal? Or part of some bigger deal, like quarterly earning reports or something? I dunno

Maybe its just a small drop in the grand scheme of things as they port more stuff over

Strazyplus

Wolf14 ROW's own subs are heavily region-locked -- you'd need a VPN not only to activate the game but also play it (although there are ways around the latter, none of which are ideal). If bought as part of the QuakeCon bundle, though, then it's region-free. Note that Germany's own QuakeCon bundle doesn't contain Wolf14 at all -- for some reason the so-called "German Edition" is absent.

I live in United States so I never really experienced region locks, But I feel for those who cannot play a certain game because of where they live... can we manage to get a game digitally everywhere on earth? apparently not...

So, only if bought from the quakecon bundle tno doesn't have any restriction. Separately bought it has. Bummer.
Don't want anyone to go against tos, so I ask carefully. Ain't there a hack/crack that allows playing tno uncensored once dled without the need for vpn? Please don't link here, you may get banned! Just asking for info.

All these different subs with their regional counterparts with varying restrictions to boot are really getting complicated. You should be compensated by valve for all the things you clear up here JaseC.

Caerith

I live in United States so I never really experienced region locks, But I feel for those who cannot play a certain game because of where they live... can we manage to get a game digitally everywhere on earth? apparently not...

Politics. And besides, USians have to deal with censorship, too, there's just never as much awareness when it happens.

JaseC

Don't want anyone to go against tos, so I ask carefully. Ain't there a hack/crack that allows playing tno uncensored once dled without the need for vpn? Please don't link here, you may get banned! Just asking for info.

Well, you could:

1) Crack the game, but this would bypass Steam entirely
2) Use the steam_appid.txt trick, but this would essentially be the same as #1 since as far as Steam would be concerned you'd actually be playing another game and so the Steamworks features in Wolf14 (i.e. achievements) would be non-functional
3) Sign into Steam using a VPN and then switch to Offline Mode, which may preserve achievements (not all games support achievements while Steam is in Offline Mode)

Edit: Or at Locust says, download a copy of Wolf14 ROW once Steam has finished downloading the "German Edition" and empty the folder in favour of using the ROW data. Note my post here, though.

All these different subs with their regional counterparts with varying restrictions to boot are really getting complicated. You should be compensated by valve for all the things you clear up here JaseC.

I'd accept 1x Earth: Year 2066. ;)

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Wow I didn't know that retail Wolf would give out the tf2 items! that's neat. Should I sell them on the market or outpost?

I defer to derExperte and Krusenstern's expertise on this. I'm not German, I only know this game has been particularly difficult for Germans to play and that German gamers should really get involved in politics to fix this mess.

Because our gaga politicians here in Schland wouldn't acknowledge video games as a form of art, like films. Go watch a german dub of Iron Sky or a Indiana Jones movie. The swastikas and nazi related mentiones are all there.
But videogames are still diabolized by these old-fashioned farts. When Crysis 2 won prices as best german action game or best german console game in our country our politicians disassociated themselves from the decision because "killer games (german: Killerspiele, that's how they call games here where you kill stuff) shouldn't be honored with prices".

That's going to be really fun to convince any of them to acknowledge games as a legitimate form of art.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Because someone proposed the potential for abuse of someone giving away fake games and claiming their own games so they get the giveaway wins and never get caught, and because I don't actually want to disable that functionality (for one notable reason--so I can test ModBot more effectively), I did run a check last night.

17 self-claimed giveaways in modbot, of which 6 are pretty easily explained by testing (ModBot claiming games ModBot has given away or some variation of my username claiming games it has given away) + 2 cases of non-me users obviously testing (one in one of ModBot's first 20 giveaways while I was still setting up the system, one about 2 weeks later).

The other cases appear to mostly be people claiming low-demand game to get them off their outstanding games list in my loot. Like, for instance, we have a prominent giver here who claimed his own Crash Time 2 copy, and I can't possibly believe that was for any outcome other than "ugh i don't want to see it and stump hasn't done a garbage dump in a while"

I don't see anything that looks to me to be abusive or slippery.

Monooboe

Aww man, I got a pre-order key from Amazon but no TF2 items.:/

Firebrand

In the past that was true because store and retail subs were separate, but these days they're one and the same (although a publisher can opt for a retail-specific sub if it so chooses).
Hmm, interesting. It'd be really nice if it sticks, so many games I've bought at day 1 but never got TF2 items for because, well, the Steam store prices are usually twice as high.

Locust

Ain't there a hack/crack that allows playing tno uncensored once dled without the need for vpn?

Having preordered the German edition because it was cheaper due to no Russian region locks I can say for certain that it's possible. All you need to do is download the files of the normal version (not from Steam) and put them in the German edition folder. Don't use the crack. Afterwards edit the file where download progress is stored to make Steam think you've completed the download.

Game will then function normally and even unlocks achievements.

JaseC

Having preordered the German edition because it was cheaper due to no Russian region locks I can say for certain that it's possible. All you need to do is download the files of the normal version (not from Steam) and put them in the German edition folder. Don't use the crack. Afterwards edit the file where download progress is stored to make Steam think you've completed the download.

Game will then function normally and even unlocks achievements.

Best disable automatic updates when going this route as a patch may reintroduce at least some of the censorship or even cause the game to play up since the ROW version and "German Edition" are technically two different games. And I'm sure it goes without saying to avoid verifying the game's cache as the ROW data would fail Steam's integrity checks.

Manac0r

I have some beta access keys for Nosgoth, actually fun when a team gels well together. Should I just post them or do I need to use modbot?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HELP I ACCIDENTALLY ENTERED FOR A GIVEAWAY I DON'T WANT ANYMORE AND I WIN I'LL JUST DIE OF EMBARRASSMENT HOW DO I DISQUALIFY MYSELF!!!!!! I WOULD LITERALLY PAY ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY TO GET THROUGH THIS ORDEAL!!!???!? I'M SO SORRY I VOTED FOR KODOS!!! Beta

- Please don't enter for giveaways you don't want. If it's a bundle dump and you later buy the bundle, just give away your spare keys, don't worry about winning someone else's. If it's not a bundle dump, don't enter for stuff you don't want. Like, seriously, just apply 2 seconds of critical thought before you enter instead of entering everything.

Anyway, to solve your problem:
- Send a PM to modbot with the word disqualify in the subject
- All outstanding entries you have for raffles or giveaways that have not yet been processed will be disqualified--this is all or nothing, you can't disqualify an individual entry.
- Disqualified entries will still count as entries, so you won't be able to re-enter for the same game, or even the same raffle unless it's a multiple entry raffle
- If you do this within 30 seconds of a draw, the draw might happen before the disqualification does, so don't cut it close.

Dascu

So stump, what are the most used private message titles sent to modbot?
I try to use reverse psychology on ModBot and type something like 'disqualify' as subject. It doesn't seem to be working though.

Anyway, to solve your problem:
- Send a PM to modbot with the word disqualify in the subject
- All outstanding entries you have for raffles or giveaways that have not yet been processed will be disqualified--this is all or nothing, you can't disqualify an individual entry.
- Disqualified entries will still count as entries, so you won't be able to re-enter for the same game, or even the same raffle unless it's a multiple entry raffle
- If you do this within 30 seconds of a draw, the draw might happen before the disqualification does, so don't cut it close.
Shiiiiiiit

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So stump, what are the most used private message titles sent to modbot?

Titles used for 150+ PMs excluding registration, my loot, no processing done to try to match stuff by pluralization or capitalization:
3526|game
3460|a
2579|giveaway
2131|1
2070|hi
1992|raffle
1475|Giveaway
1302|d
1221|.
1105|s
1088|asdf
1025|Game
951|games
916|g
859|asd
792|key
774|hello
770|Games
721|entry
711|steam
685|enter
645|f
619|Steam
617|Modbot
615|Hey
584|Raffle
569|thanks
569|ty
549|aa
489|yo
471|test
401|Hi
387|hey
380|2
371|h
367|asdasd
361|steam giveaway
354|ss
348|any
343|sdf
338|Hi Modbot!
329|x
323|ff
321|maybe?
313|gimme
307|something
306|Dear ModBot
302|!
296|dd
274|Thanks man
254|A
239|ds
227|Thanks!
227|hi modbot
222|sdfsdf
215|dsa
215|y
212|Hello
212|j
211|please
207|b
206|Steam Give Away
203|3
201|c
197|k
193|any subject line
185|game key
185|hai der
184|t
180|sd
177|:)
175|123
175|Ain't Easy Being Cheesy
175|df
174|v
172|yay
171|-
171|G
171|aaa
170|Steam giveaway
168|Thanks
166|gg
163|Key
162|Code
162|FF
158|ddd
158|hey baby

Manac0r

No idea how to use modbot so will just post them. Will figure it out someday... Codes for Nosgoth...

PABODA-296-BOBAVA-220
PENUDE-369-COWOFA-205
CAJOME-739-GODAPA-025
PACODE-919-GATONE-035
VEXOME-269-BATATA-205

Just holla if you grab one so people,know they gone. Enjoy!

Yakkue

No idea how to use modbot so will just post them. Will figure it out someday... Codes for Nosgoth...

PABODA-296-BOBAVA-220
PENUDE-369-COWOFA-205
CAJOME-739-GODAPA-025
PACODE-919-GATONE-035
VEXOME-269-BATATA-205

For the future, here is a modbot tutorial. (which you can always find linked on the first page of every steam thread)

MUnited83

For you.

PABODA-296-BOBAVA-220
PENUDE-369-COWOFA-205
CAJOME-739-GODAPA-025
PACODE-919-GATONE-035
VEXOME-269-BATATA-205

Thanks, activated PACODE-919-GATONE-035

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"Dont fuck this up you magnificent cunt" might be my favorite line in a videogame since Manhunt's "Kill this dumb fuck"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom